E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum

The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum
Use this forum to discuss anything in relation to wheels to tires to offsets.
Sponsored by The Tire Rack

View Poll Results: CSL replica choices for 2000-2006 Coupe
Staggered- 18x8.5s front, 18x9.5s rear 7 77.78%
18x8.5 all around with 235s all around 1 11.11%
18x8.5s all around with 225s front, 245s rear. 1 11.11%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2006, 04:01 PM   #1
dogtorj

My Ride: About 23 minutes
Rear wheel size for 2000 Coupe- Pothole catastrophy

Hi Guys,

It's been a while since I posted. I did all of the mods I wanted for a while and have just been enjoying the car...'til last night....when I hit a HUGE pothole on the Interstate while going 75. It blew out my left front, seriously damaging the rim, and also slightly bent the left rear, while causing some visible damage to the side wall of the tire of the left rear.

The amazing thing was that the impact was so hard that it deployed the passenger side airbags (curtain and door), where my wife was sitting. Scared the heck out of her. She thought at first we were a victim of a drive-by shooting. I have to say the thought crossed my mind after hearing the POP of those airbags along with feeling the jolt of the pothole.

So anyway, I am now in need of two new CSL wheels (Velocity Motoring) and 4 new tires (I was going to replace the rears soon anyway. The right front tire will become my spare on the slightly damaged left rear rim. )

Here's the question- After a couple of years of you guys buying these CLS for the 2000-2006 coupes, what's the verdict? Do you like the staggered wheels, with those wide 18x9.5's on the rear? OR, do you prefer 18x8.5s all around with either 235's all around or staggered rubber like I had? (I had 18x8.5s all around with 225 fronts and 245s rear). I liked that set-up but was considering doing the wider rear wheels this time.

Thanks for the input,
John

PS. I have to give a big to the Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3 for the way they handled last night. The front blew but only through a small hole and there was no break-up of the wheel in the time it took me to safely get off the road. It acted like a run-flat. The rear wheel took a major lick too and didn't blow. I ended up driving on the rear tire another 200 miles (carefully) without incidence.

dogtorj is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-11-2006, 04:06 PM   #2
Devonjordan

My Ride: e46 325i
I say, GO STAGGERED, and make the city/town/state pay for the damages, shitty roads are unacceptable.
Old 11-11-2006, 04:12 PM   #3
dogtorj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devonjordan View Post
I say, GO STAGGERED, and make the city/town/state pay for the damages, shitty roads are unacceptable.
Thanks. And I agree about the roads. I plan to send a copy of all charges to the city just for the heck of it. With the cost of the air bags, it's turned into a claim for the insurance company. I'm just thankful that it didn't trigger the driver's air bags. That would have been a nightmare at 75mph.

Anybody have their airbags deploy from hitting a pothole like this?

Old 11-11-2006, 04:16 PM   #4
L73087

My Ride: 05Alpine 330CI ZHP
My friends brother was traveling on the 210 in the fast lane in Rancho Cucamonga and all of a sudden his side air bags went off and he almost slammed rite into the the right lane side rall.Hes now taking BMW to Court.
Old 11-11-2006, 04:20 PM   #5
dogtorj

Comment on Velocity Motoring CSL reps

I do have to say that I am very impressed with these rims after last night. Although I will probably not try to have the left front repaired, that lick would have messed up ANY rim and demolished some, I'm sure. I don't have a lot of experience with rim integrity but I have to say these did well for what they were faced with.

Last edited by dogtorj; 11-11-2006 at 04:21 PM. Reason: Correction
Old 11-11-2006, 06:51 PM   #6
MysticBlau330Ci

My Ride: 330Ci '04
I have to agree with you about the CSL Reps from Velocity. My experience is that they are TOUGH. Same for the GSD3s. I prefer staggered. I am running 225/40 from and 255/35 with no probs. Good luck with it.
Old 11-12-2006, 09:00 PM   #7
GODZPEED

My Ride: garage M T :(
Send a message via AIM to GODZPEED
18x8.5 all the way around

i would run the same size at all four corners. unless you don't mind buying tire more often, the staggered setup prevents you from rotating the tires. having all the same size lets you rotate and more evenly wear the tires. if you have high horse power where you might need more rubber in the rear, then a staggered setup would be justified but otherwise save a few bucks.

...and definitely persue the municipality that takes care of that road. go back and take pictures of the pothole to submit. inquire to your insurance company as well. i have seen municipalities pick up the tap in cases like this. that must have been one hell of a hole to set off airbags...wild. at least you both are safe, could have been worse... goodluck
Old 11-16-2006, 07:02 PM   #8
dogtorj

Thanks for the input. I've ordered the wider rears (18x9.5s) for the car and will go with the staggered set-up. Reason: I've decided to postpone my purchase of an E92 for a couple of years and make this one go faaaaaaaster. So, I may just need the wider rubber before I'm done.

Last edited by dogtorj; 11-16-2006 at 07:02 PM. Reason: correction