E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 19 votes, 4.79 average. Display Modes
Old 06-30-2011, 02:02 PM   #141
association16

My Ride: 2003 BMW 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrientBlau View Post
If the sound is generally a high-pitch whirling, buzzing, gurgling or "electronic" sound emanating from the drivers side vicinity (foot pedal or cluster area) and it is somewhat intermittent, then it is likely your "cover with blower."

The bearings get dry and begin to squeak, creating this noise.
Sweet! Thanks. you explained perfectly was I was hearing and thinking.
association16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 03:22 PM   #142
x325

My Ride: 325xi
I got to do it in 20 seconds.
325xi M54
Click image for larger version

Name:	left path.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	408790
x325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 09:06 AM   #143
'busa

My Ride: E90 335i (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by paraklas View Post
Fvck! I was fighting with that flap for the longest time this weekend. I was afraid to pull on that tab.
Old 07-17-2011, 01:23 PM   #144
freeportd

My Ride: 325xi
Nice DIY - thanks for contributions to e46fanatics. All worked out well, although I outsmarted myself. I took out the 4 screws securing the blower holder - when in fact all I needed to do is just pop the clip. Fortunately I didn't lose any screws into impossible to reach locations. As mentioned, removing right side fan housing made swap out/in easy. All done. While it was working fine now, I'd rather work on it in the mid 80s versus the teens in February when these parts typically fail! It was making a groaning noise the last two winters when cold - so I know it was going to fail at some point in the near future. Now I need to do FSR and I'll be all set.

New rotors and pads (for rear) are on order. Front pads/rotors completed. Rear springs replaced. I should be in good shape!

Thanks again for this DIY
freeportd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 08:41 PM   #145
austindangers

My Ride: 2000 BMW 328i
My blower was doing the "low speed chirp" so I took it out. I figured it was chirping because the bearings were dirty. So, I literally dunked it in a bucket full of soapy water and spun it around a bit. Lots of crap was left in the water. Let it sit in the sun and dry a bit, reinstalled and ran it for a little while so it could heat up and let all the moisture evaporate.

The reason I didn't try lubing was because, like others mentioned above, it would only attract more dirt.

It was already making noise, so I planned to replace it anyway. But why not try cleaning it first? If the water fried it I would have shrugged and moved on. As of now the blower is whisper silent. Might be worth a shot. Dunk at your own risk though.
austindangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 04:03 PM   #146
chrisp_1

My Ride: Alpina B3 3.3
Greetings from the UK ;-)

First post here and resurrecting an old thread so I'm hopeful someone can help me with this DIY?

Done the fan swap-over no problem but struggling with the rebuild as I cannot seem to get the left fan cover back in no matter how hard I try (that's drivers side UK / passenger side USA) - just cannot get it to rotate past the windscreen wiper linkage, maybe they're not in right position to allow access? Admittedly I did force it out the space to remove it.
chrisp_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 04:16 PM   #147
paraklas

My Ride: ESS TS2 320ci
Ahh the fan cover... Can't remember how I got it in but wasn't easy. I had the wipers to "rest" position though
Old 12-09-2011, 05:40 PM   #148
chrisp_1

Quote:
Ahh the fan cover... Can't remember how I got it in but wasn't easy. I had the wipers to "rest" position though
Thanks anyway buddy...., Luckily I had the sense to put it inside my mates garage rather than do it on the drive. He's a mechanic and we are considering removing the wiper linkage etc

Anyone else got a better
Old 12-10-2011, 08:54 AM   #149
chrisp_1

Can't believe no-one else has struggled with the side covers of the fan housing, both are proving v.difficult to replace.

Last edited by chrisp_1; 12-13-2011 at 09:48 AM.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:32 AM   #150
chrisp_1

procedure for re-fitting re-circulation flaps

I finally managed to re-fit the side covers of the fan box this morning, what a PITA that was:jaw-dropping - Only advice I can give with the left -hand cover is move the wipers to up position and then bend/flex the cover around the fins of the fan.

Anyway, I'm now stuck on replacing the flaps correctly:mad The left/drivers side one (viewed from front of car) is operating correctly with the recirculation switch, ie fully opens and closes. However the right side flap wont operate and or close fully the way I've done it and I think I'm missing something in the re-fit procedure:confused

Can anyone describe the correct procedure for re-fitting the right-hand re-circulation flap?

Last edited by chrisp_1; 12-13-2011 at 09:50 AM.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:22 AM   #151
chrisp_1

I now have the right side flaps operating correctly

The bottom linkage which connects the inner and outer flaps was my issue, it had come out of position during the disassembly stage without me noticing - it shouldn't actually be visible as mine was which led me to reassemble it out of position. The flexible arm from the inner right flap has two nipples, the uppermost nipple fits into a track which runs right to left underneath the fan box, the lowermost nipple connects to the flexible arm from the rear right flap. If this pops out on you don't worry as each of the flexible arms can only be re-inserted into the flaps' hinges in one orientation - if you shine a torch through the little holes in the flap you will see a notch to align the link pins with. It's not posible to photograph this so just take my word for it

The top linkage of the outer flap is the one which actually moves with the recirculation button and can only be inserted AFAIK with the outer flap closed and A/C set to recirculate. If assembled correctly the inner flap will be closed as the outer one opens.

Assembly of the right flaps is thus as follows.

1- Hit recirculate on A/C and allow motors to settle.
2- Ensure the bottom linkage is connected to the bottom of the inner flap and that it sits in its track underneath the fan via the top nipple of the link (feel underneath between the two flaps).
3- Ensure the linkage from the outer flap also connects to the bottom nipple of the link (If this is correct you can slide the linkage left to right by feeling underneath the fan box and observe the inner flap moving - the outer flaps' hinge will move accordingly).
4- Insert bottom of the outer flap to its hole (where the bottom link terminates) and using gentle downward pressure push top of flap into its mount. If the inner flap is closed the outer flap will be open and visa-versa, the flap must be aligned correctly with respect to the linkage pins so just rotate slightly until you can push down the retaining pin at the bottom of the outer flap.
5- Reach underneath fan box and move the linkage (or push the outer flap) to ensure the outer flap is closed.
6- The top link is then inserted into the top of the outer flap, the hinge on this link sits perpendicular to the flap hinge and to the left as you look at it from the front of the car (this is very tight space wise so take car not to break the link pin as you persuade it into place.

HOPE THAT HELPS SOMEONE ELSE

Last edited by chrisp_1; 12-13-2011 at 10:26 AM.
Old 01-30-2012, 03:37 PM   #152
Chuck77083

My Ride: 2000 BMW 323ci
Replaced FSR Blower still does not work properly

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcaron999 View Post
I determined what the problem was - a loose connection or poor electrical contact seemed to be the issue with my FSR. I cleaned the connection with a disposable cardboard nail file, and finished off with some electrical contact cleaner.

All is working perfectly now. .
I am Having some issues with my Blower motor. I have replaced the final stage resistor but it still only works every now and then. And even sometimes if i hit a really funky bump it will kick on. when it works, it works fine...but when it doesnt work, it wont work AT ALL.

I'm interested in knowing which connector u cleaned?? as this could also be my problem!!
Chuck77083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 04:49 PM   #153
snthomps

My Ride: 318is
Blower replacement

Excellent thread however I,like the latter posts are having extreme difficulty extracting the right (cars) side flap. this is a 1993 318is (US style) and it has a different flap. The covering is white plastic and does not resemble the pictures or have the thorax bolts to remove. The opening cable control runs beneath the cover and to the right side (passenger) side for flap control. Two small metal clips connect on the outside of each of the side flaps but I cannot seem to release the top area of the right (passenger side) flap. This side is the obvious side for extraction and if the #$@$ flap would release it would be a snap. Thanks for the thread thus far, esp TitaniumCranium.
Steve

Last edited by snthomps; 02-22-2012 at 09:28 PM. Reason: wrong year of manufacture
snthomps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 05:26 PM   #154
eweis

My Ride: 1999 328i
I'm about ready to attempt this.
I notice in a diagram on Tischer's site that there is a filter apparently sitting in front of the blower motor/fan. I can't tell if I've seen it in the photos people have provided. If there is one there and it's accessible, then it probably makes sense to go ahead and replace it as well.

Good idea? Has anyone who has replaced the blower motor noticed this or changed this filter?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tischer blower motor diagram 1940140.gif
Views:	171
Size:	8.9 KB
ID:	438674  
eweis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 11:32 PM   #155
SilvaBimma

My Ride: 330Xi
Anyone tried buying a TYC built model of 64-11-3-453-729? Behr looks like its the stock OEM manufacture, wondering if there is a huge difference. Ebay has the TYC made one for 75, Behr about 100.
SilvaBimma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:37 AM   #156
Rob_in_LA

My Ride: 325i
Replacement of Blower Motor: creating access clearance

Quote:

I was trying for 4 hours to remove the fan and eventually I broke the plastic blades in an explosion of anger. I was then trying for another 4 hours to get the new fan in without breaking anything.

Can't help with that, you will have to struggle to get it out & in. I also disconnected the left flap to have some freedom of movement. Sorry for the lack of pictures here, it's easy to disconnect it.

Once you successfuly place the new fan, connect the power connector, secure it using the clips that held the old one, test it, and put all the covers back in reverse order.
This is an excellent thread as far as it goes. However the method for getting the blower into the cavity is not an obvious one.

Taking the engine cover off as suggested above is a start, however an additional inch or so of clearance is required. I have heard many people say that getting access is very difficult, and this is my experience. The objects which block access are massive and have a lot of wires and hoses attached to them.

I have seen posts in which people seriously suggest that dropping the engine a couple of inches for access by undoing the bolts on the engine sub frame is the best way to get access to this fan. This is pretty extreme, and I will try this last.

I have seen a post suggesting that taking the intake manifold off. On a 330 this is a serious job. I have a feeling that on a 325i it may not be quite as bad, but still to R&R the intake manifold on these cars is not a romp in the park.

I will probably remove the intake manifold next, in order to create clearance to install the fan. I have just ordered the gaskets, and I will be looking for limited service items, like hoses, to replace while I am in there. If any one has replaced a blower lately, I would be very interested to hear from them, as to exactly which parts need to come out in order to replace the fan.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Rob

Last edited by Rob_in_LA; 04-29-2012 at 10:45 AM. Reason: clarity
Rob_in_LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:43 PM   #157
Rob_in_LA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_in_LA View Post
This is an excellent thread as far as it goes. However the method for getting the blower into the cavity is not an obvious one.

Taking the engine cover off as suggested above is a start, however an additional inch or so of clearance is required. I have heard many people say that getting access is very difficult, and this is my experience. The objects which block access are massive and have a lot of wires and hoses attached to them.

I have seen posts in which people seriously suggest that dropping the engine a couple of inches for access by undoing the bolts on the engine sub frame is the best way to get access to this fan. This is pretty extreme, and I will try this last.

I have seen a post suggesting that taking the intake manifold off. On a 330 this is a serious job. I have a feeling that on a 325i it may not be quite as bad, but still to R&R the intake manifold on these cars is not a romp in the park.

I will probably remove the intake manifold next, in order to create clearance to install the fan. I have just ordered the gaskets, and I will be looking for limited service items, like hoses, to replace while I am in there. If any one has replaced a blower lately, I would be very interested to hear from them, as to exactly which parts need to come out in order to replace the fan.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Rob
Okay. I am a Newby and I missed the many interesting suggestions written AFTER the early post which I referenced. Apparently removing some of the windshield wiper structure will help. Lots to read here.

Last edited by Rob_in_LA; 04-29-2012 at 12:49 PM.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:48 PM   #158
Rob_in_LA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilvaBimma View Post
Anyone tried buying a TYC built model of 64-11-3-453-729? Behr looks like its the stock OEM manufacture, wondering if there is a huge difference. Ebay has the TYC made one for 75, Behr about 100.
I bought the Behr, which has a Bosch motor, and it is nicely done in the sense that that care has been taken to balance the rotors on both sides. I think that I paid $110 from ECS. This balancing operation would seem to be a difference from a blower which just moves air, and one that moves the air silently, and also one which lasts: imbalance is hard on bearings.

Just my thoughts.

R

Last edited by Rob_in_LA; 04-29-2012 at 12:51 PM.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:01 PM   #159
Rob_in_LA

Differences with the 2005 325i: One Piece Blower Housing

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumCranium View Post
BEFORE you put the new part in, since the fins don't come off the Tischer unit, it is IMPERATIVE that you remove the right side (cars right side) blower housing.
Okay. There is a difference between the excellent direction which Mr. Cranium gives us above (I will light a candle for you Mr C.) and what can be done with the last year of production e46, 2005 325i. The blower housing is ONE piece and does not separate. This said, I have now taken off the engine rocker cover, and it looks like when the fuel rail comes off that I will have a straight shot at putting the fan in place. For those 325i fans out there, I will post a result here.

Thanks for all the fine suggestions which have come before this point in time.

Last edited by Rob_in_LA; 04-29-2012 at 09:34 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 05-06-2012, 09:58 AM   #160
Madmanny

My Ride: BMW 330i
Quote:
For this DIY to succeed, you must remove the 2 flaps, front cover and side covers of the fan box

Front cover removed: 1 Torx screw on top and 2 clips on bottom. Write down the direction of the plug on the fan, you don't want to place the fan the other way around!

Hi, thanks for the writeup. I got this far, but could not remove the front cover. Is there a trick? I didn't want to force the issue....

TIA

Manny.....
Madmanny is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blower, fan