E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum

The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum
Use this forum to discuss anything in relation to wheels to tires to offsets.
Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-13-2006, 12:11 PM   #1
EIAlfonso

My Ride: 2011 535xi M Sport
Install cheap spare/space saving Tire

I would like to reduce the weight on my car a bit and the 50lb spare tire in the back seems like a good place.

Is there any reason a space saver tire from another vehicle wouldn't work on my car as long as the bolt pattern and diameter of the tire are the same?

I'm thinking about going to a junkyard and picking one up for $30 or so.

Your thoughts.

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-13-2006, 12:23 PM   #2
zeshon

My Ride: S/C 2000 328Ci
Subscribing.
zeshon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 12:48 PM   #3
PromethWill88

My Ride: 04 Dinan S M3
By replacing your spare, you may offset the 50/50 balance of your ride. The 50lb spare was factored in when they went off to get that coefficient from the factory. I wouldn't recommend doing that, your handling and braking might be thrown off.
Old 11-13-2006, 12:59 PM   #4
jmueller

My Ride: 2001 330ci
removing weight is never a bad idea.. and in reality a slight forward weight bias isnt a bad thing,, think about how the weight transfers during acceleration / braking,
jmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 01:35 PM   #5
EIAlfonso

Quote:
Originally Posted by PromethWill88 View Post
By replacing your spare, you may offset the 50/50 balance of your ride. The 50lb spare was factored in when they went off to get that coefficient from the factory. I wouldn't recommend doing that, your handling and braking might be thrown off.

I don't think a 30lb difference will affect the distribution that much, it is after all less than 1% of the total weight of the car.

btw our cars weigh a little bit more in the front than the rear

330ci
Weight distribution, front/rear - Manual Transmission 50.1/49.9 %
Weight distribution, front/rear - Automatic Transmission 50.6/49.4 %
Old 11-13-2006, 03:15 PM   #6
Boosted_ZHP

My Ride: 88 325
Send a message via AIM to Boosted_ZHP

Get a ZHP spare. They are space savers. They are 17 inch steelies. Let the air out of it and carry a small 12v pump.

The only other cars to have our bolt pattern is Chevy. If you get a s10, or a camaro spare it might work, but you have a 330 so you have the bigger brakes, a ZHP might be your only option.
Old 11-13-2006, 03:25 PM   #7
Kelly330cic

My Ride: 2k1 330cic
If you can find a vert 330 sport that will have a 17" space saver spare. You could probably order one from Tire Rack too. Don't ask how one would go about that, but you have to be able to order them from somewhere.
Kelly330cic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 03:31 PM   #8
Cobra

My Ride: '00 328i & '06 R6S
forget that, just get a 16" lightweight wheel(if it fits)
Old 11-13-2006, 11:58 PM   #9
EIAlfonso

How much do the 17 spares from the ZHP and the vert weigh?
Old 11-14-2006, 07:14 PM   #10
zeshon

My Ride: S/C 2000 328Ci
What should those of us that want to run 18's do then? I am thinking about upgrading to 18" M6 wheels, and would like to have a spare.
zeshon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 07:53 PM   #11
Mikaly

My Ride: TiAG 323i on 19s
I recently removed my 16" spare after putting on my 19s. In the case of a flat, I didn't think that putting on a different (overall) diameter wheel would be a good idea. In any case, I'll be calling AAA if I have any problems.

Mikaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 09:12 AM   #12
Gary@Tirerack

My Ride: 1995 BMW M3
Its a good thought, but in reality by the time you find something that will be functional, IMO you won't be losing enough weight to make any difference. A 1% difference in vehicle weight for street driving will not make any noticable difference. If this is for track or autocross you would simply remove your spare for the event.

Click sig! -->

Gary@Tirerack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 12:24 PM   #13
EIAlfonso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary@Tirerack View Post
Its a good thought, but in reality by the time you find something that will be functional, IMO you won't be losing enough weight to make any difference. A 1% difference in vehicle weight for street driving will not make any noticable difference. If this is for track or autocross you would simply remove your spare for the event.
That makes sense, I was just trying to find something cheap.

If I can find a good lighweight battery and a lighter spare I figure I can loose about 60+lbs for very little $, heck I may even make $ by selling my rim/tire.

So i figure 60+lbs is equivalent to an extra 4hp, yes not noticeable but if you can do it for free why not. I see people here all the time spending hundreds or thousands of dollars to make an extra 5hp.

Hopefully I can find something, if not I'll go on a diet and lose a few pounds.
Old 11-15-2006, 12:35 PM   #14
Bimmer33084

My Ride: sold
This is also a good idea for people who have systems in there trunk and don't have room for a full size spare, like me I'm also looking for a 17 that is thin and light that can fit in the spare compartment and still leave some room. As of now, i have one of my amps down there and no spare. I tried fitting those thin donuts that come with honda's and i was able to fit it down there with my amp,so im thinking if i can find something thats 17" in diameter and not that wide i can fit both in there.
Bimmer33084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 01:12 PM   #15
Cobra

My Ride: '00 328i & '06 R6S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary@Tirerack View Post
hey Gary, if you're running 19" all around, is it ok to use a 16" spare to get to safety? also, do you guys have the 'cross spoke' style 42 wheel(16")?

someone stole my spare
Old 11-15-2006, 01:19 PM   #16
Gary@Tirerack

My Ride: 1995 BMW M3
As long as you maintain near the same overall diamter you're okay using a 16" spare. Acceptable sizes would be 205/55R16 or 225/50R16.

Click sig! -->

Gary@Tirerack is offline   Reply With Quote