E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-13-2002, 07:01 PM   #1
DropTopBM
Banned

Location: Im from where the hammers rung, news cameras never come, throw the work in the can and scream "runnn"
My Ride: Hamann 3
Send a message via AIM to DropTopBM
Average cost of installing indash dvd

I just wanna see if i am getting ripped off or not...

How much to install a indash dvd player.... with the brain also... how much did u guys pay
DropTopBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-13-2002, 10:13 PM   #2
Ack
Bavarian I.C.E.

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
I guess it depends on where you're mounting it and whether or not you have other components you're hooking up into it. Mine was installed under the carperting on the passenger side. Do yourself a favor and make sure you have them mount it on the drivers side. I'm getting alternator whine due to the brain being installed all of two inches from the 4 gauge power wire that BMW has running on the passenger side. I'm still talking with my installer to have them move it (lifetime warranty on installs). They think it might be a problem with the Clarion unit (1st generation) which are having issues with their gear mechanism and powering off on their own. Your's should have all of these issues resolved with the newer gen. model.

I would think it shouldn't cost more than $150 because of the labor involved in removing the carpeting and seat.
Ack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 10:22 PM   #3
DropTopBM
Banned

Location: Im from where the hammers rung, news cameras never come, throw the work in the can and scream "runnn"
cant they toss it in the trunk? or maybe in the glovebox? Also, do u have any comments on this head unit i got?
Old 11-13-2002, 11:20 PM   #4
Ron@Streeteffectz

We'd charge $150 to install it, with the brain mounted on the PASSENGER side under the seat, all nice a neat NEVER a problem with wine, overheating or anything.

Ron@Streeteffectz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 12:50 AM   #5
e_one09

My Ride: M Three
I am installing mine pretty soon too. So, should I install the brain on the driver's site or passenger? Thanks.
e_one09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 01:54 AM   #6
Treynsx

My Ride: E46 325i
mite sound stupid but .. whats the brain? i thought the clarion unit was all indash.
- Clears all around - UUC Ultimate Short Shifter - UUC RKII Brushed Aluminum Shift Knob - UUC Aluminum Pedal Set - M3 Style Mirrors - Bilstein PSS Coil-Overs - Reverse Aluminum Face Gauges - Daylight Angel Eyes - 19x8.5 Hamann HM2s w/ 235/35ZR 19 Nitto 555 - UUC TSE w/ dtm tips - Racing Dynamics R35 Front Bumper - AC-Schnitzer Rear Add-On - 6000K HIDs - GruppeM Cold Air Intake - Sparco Torino Racing Seats - Painted Moldings -
Treynsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 08:19 AM   #7
Ack
Bavarian I.C.E.

Quote:
Originally posted by DropTopBM
cant they toss it in the trunk? or maybe in the glovebox? Also, do u have any comments on this head unit i got?
The C-net wire they supply with the Clarion unit is only so long; its not long enough to be run to the trunk. I asked the same question to my installer and he said the best location for it was under the seat and carpeting. You won't even be able to tell that its there.

If they can install it on the drivers side, this is where I would recommend putting it. You don't want to pick up any induced noise from running RCA's too close to the power wires. I might have a defective brain unit (sounds kinda funny) which is causing my whine. But better safe than sorry.
Old 11-14-2002, 10:20 AM   #8
Craig
The G.O.A.T. is Baccckkkkk!

My Ride: 09' AW E92 335i
Ack, agreed totally.....if it can be mounted away from the power wire which runs the length of the car, definitely do it! Also, if it can't be, you can shield the power wire if you are getting noise induced into the brain.....

I can't imagine the brain being defective though Ack. Are you getting alternator whine that bad?
Old 11-14-2002, 10:21 AM   #9
Ron@Streeteffectz

Oops, sorry, that was me posting above, not craig
Old 11-14-2002, 11:51 AM   #10
Ack
Bavarian I.C.E.

Quote:
Originally posted by Craig
I can't imagine the brain being defective though Ack. Are you getting alternator whine that bad?
Its pretty bad. I had them install a cutoff switch for the center channel speaker b/c I was getting whine even with the speaker off. I can now shut the amp down and at least there is no whine from that speaker.

With the rest of the speakers, the whine is noticable mostly during songs that have more acoustic than anything else. I mostly listen to hip-hop and dance so this isn't too bad. I do also like to listen to DMB, Creed, Puddle of Mudd, etc. so on some songs its quite noticable. You can also hear it more when you turn down the volume. The other thing that is quite odd and annoying is when the engine is off, but the power is on, obviously no whine, but I pick up some type of interference thru the speakers. It sounds like a muffled radio station. I still feel that this is more wiring issue than anything else. It doesn't help that the brain is mounted so close to the power wire. When I get a chance I'll take a picture of the wiring behind and under the rear seat. I think when you see this, you'll understand where I'm coming from.

The install cost big $$ and I feel like I'm getting the run around at the shop sometimes. I'm going to ask them to swap the brain with another unit that they have in stock and see if this corrects the problem. If not, I'll have them rip the car down and rewire everything. I've been so frustrated with this I almost feel like taking the car apart myself and re-running the wires. I'd rather not have to do this since the guy who did the install knows it better than anyone else.

Man what a rant. . . I feel better though.

What is your feelings on this? I'll try to post a pic later tonight of the wiring mess.
Old 11-14-2002, 03:25 PM   #11
Ron@Streeteffectz

What kind of RCA cables did they use? If you get that frustrated with them, come by (you're in NY?), I'll be more than happy to check it out for you.
Old 11-14-2002, 05:37 PM   #12
guest1016
fanatical

My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to guest1016
$150? holy ****. You must be in a pretty crazy market. I do the panasonic & alpine monitors & charge $50 for labor, $15 more than a standard head unit.
guest1016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 09:33 PM   #13
Ack
Bavarian I.C.E.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ron@Streeteffectz
What kind of RCA cables did they use? If you get that frustrated with them, come by (you're in NY?), I'll be more than happy to check it out for you.
I bought all of the best Monster RCA cables. Well I think i might have found the cause . . . This is looking into my trunk from the rear seats. You can see the power wire wrapped amid a mess of RCA's and others. Seeing this just pisses me off!

Ron, your thoughts?
Old 11-14-2002, 10:59 PM   #14
JACOB NJ

My Ride: 00 540 sport
Send a message via AIM to JACOB NJ
Quote:
Originally posted by Ack

I bought all of the best Monster RCA cables. Well I think i might have found the cause . . . This is looking into my trunk from the rear seats. You can see the power wire wrapped amid a mess of RCA's and others. Seeing this just pisses me off!

Ron, your thoughts?
AAAAAAAAAAAAA make it stop make it stop.. Jesus man.. want some sauce for that spaghetti? lol.. jk.. that needs to have some TLC with the quickness.
Old 11-14-2002, 11:13 PM   #15
Ron@Streeteffectz

Whoaaaa...........a SHOP did that work??????

As for the $150 for install a headunit with a brain, yeah, we charge and get that regularly....why do we charge $150? Well, the price includes dash kit, wire harness, antenna adapter, and I can gaurantee it will look like the picture I posted above when complete. The passenger seat is removed, all wires ran with factory wiring all nice and neat, and we guarantee NO NOISE Also, we just take our time, no rush, we want it to be perfect everytime.

Now back to the mess....did I ask if a SHOP did that? LOL I think we found your problem !
Old 11-14-2002, 11:20 PM   #16
DropTopBM
Banned

Ron.. quick quesiton

Lets say you installed this unit for me... And lets say I had a problem with it, or my electrical system (not that im saying your work isnt good, im just thinking of worst case scenerio)... ok so ive got this electrical problem so i bring it back to you or whoever installs it, and i tell them to pull everything out and put the origianl head unit back in... i take my car to the dealership, will they know that there was another unit previously installed? what im asking is will anything be done that will be perminent (ie, holes, cutting of wires/ anything else)
Old 11-14-2002, 11:24 PM   #17
JACOB NJ

My Ride: 00 540 sport
Send a message via AIM to JACOB NJ
not ron

Quote:
Originally posted by DropTopBM
Ron.. quick quesiton

Lets say you installed this unit for me... And lets say I had a problem with it, or my electrical system (not that im saying your work isnt good, im just thinking of worst case scenerio)... ok so ive got this electrical problem so i bring it back to you or whoever installs it, and i tell them to pull everything out and put the origianl head unit back in... i take my car to the dealership, will they know that there was another unit previously installed? what im asking is will anything be done that will be perminent (ie, holes, cutting of wires/ anything else)
but i can tell you from his work and mine.. NO done right with the above mentoned things.. everything would be plug and play with exception of the wiring harness to the metra harness
Old 11-15-2002, 01:15 AM   #18
Ron@Streeteffectz

Well, if I personally did the install, NO, the dealer would never know I was in there.
Old 11-15-2002, 02:30 AM   #19
DropTopBM
Banned

Quote:
Well, if I personally did the install, NO, the dealer would never know I was in there.

Why cant u be located in NYC :sad:

U will need my car for at least a day right? Will be so hard to work something out, school/work/ how am i gonna get home and how will i pick up my car.... Can it be done the same day? ill wait like however long u need
Old 11-15-2002, 09:32 AM   #20
Ack
Bavarian I.C.E.

Quote:
Whoaaaa...........a SHOP did that work??????

Now back to the mess....did I ask if a SHOP did that? LOL I think we found your problem !
I think so to. I just sent an e-mail to the owner of the shop, attached this picture, and explained to him how upset I am at this mess. The installer did an excellent job with the actual look of the install, its just with the money I spent, it should sound as good as it looks. The whine is my only issue, but to me, its a major one. I think he rushed to get me my car back in time, and hence the nasty wiring job. I think he's going to have to take my trunk apart, unwrap that mess, shorten and rerun all of the wires. I also asked him to move the brain to the drivers side. This will probably take at least two full days.

Ron, where is your shop located? If its close and I'm getting a hard time from my installer, I'll take the car to you, have you fix this and then hit my installer with the bill.

I'll let you guys know what the shop says. I specifically asked for the owner of the shop to get back to me.

Last edited by Ack; 11-15-2002 at 09:35 AM.