E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-26-2015, 12:00 PM   #1
budgetbmw

My Ride: 2001 325i
DIY differential bushing removal tool

I meant to post this information up a couple months ago but didn't get around to it. I purchased my bmw a couple months ago and had to replace the rear differential bushing. I found the great bushing tutorial on this site and this is how I made my tool. I used parts that should be readily available to anyone. I used parts from autozone (Race bearing rental kit for the end plates, and a piece of 3" OD exhaust), and home depot (1/2" all thread rod, 1/2" nuts, 1/2" coupler nut).

Required Parts:
Parts list from auto parts store:
1 - OEM Rental bearing and race driver (This is part of the free rental tool program)

1 - 3" OD Exhaust

From home depot:
1 - 1/2" All thread rod 12-18" should be plenty.
2 - 1/2" nut
2 - 1/2" washer
1 - 1/2" Coupler nut (This is a longer nut and what I used to actually crank down on)

How to use the parts:
Operation is pretty simple, on one end you will need to lock the two nuts (I.e. turn the two nuts into each other). I then used a crescent wrench to hold this side stationary as I cranked the coupler nut on the other side with a ratcheting hand wrench.

Removal of old bushing:
You will be pulling the old bushing out to the passenger side of the car.
Put gear or engine oil on the piece of all thread and then position it in the bushing to be removed.
Use an aluminum plate from the race kit that is the same size as the bushing on the Driver's side of the car (this will allow you to pull the bushing and corresponding plate through the mount).
The two 1/2" nuts will be put on the driver side and locked.
Put the 3" OD Exhaust and the aluminum plate that fits into the 3"OD exhuast (note that the Taper side of the plate is inside the 3" Exhaust).
Put the coupler nut on the passener side and crank away until the bushing comes out. Make sure that you have oil on the threads or you will wear out the threads. A couple action shots:

Install of new bushing:
I aligned the bushing and tapped it slightly with a hammer to get it into the car prior to putting the tool on. Remember that the bushing is directional and must be pressed in correctly.
Oil the all thread rod.
Lock the two nuts on the passenger side of the all thread this time and place an aluminum plate on the all thread.
Slide the all thread through the bushing and then put an aluminum plate on the driver side that is larger than the mount.
Put the coupler nut on the driver side and crank away until it is installed. The mount has a lip on it so you will know once you have it cranked in all the way.

Another picture of the parts used including the bearing race driver kit from the parts store.

Last edited by budgetbmw; 11-26-2015 at 08:59 PM.
budgetbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.