E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 23 votes, 4.83 average. Display Modes
Old 03-25-2010, 05:22 PM   #221
Be.M.w.e46

My Ride: 323ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by markusmarkus View Post
How did you manage to remove and replace the bushings without removing the LCAs????????????? A guy has got to know!
undo the 2 bolts holding the bush holder to the chassis, then the arm will drop down, then put a puller on and off it comes, but putting the powerflex bush and holder on seemed far to easy, thats why i asked if any one else had fitted powerflex and if theres went on as easy?
Be.M.w.e46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 08:57 AM   #222
StickForLife

My Ride: '05 330xi!
Question

Noticed no XI posts in the thread. Anyone know if this DIY works for XIs too, or are there other steps?
StickForLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 11:42 AM   #223
///Flash
Banned

My Ride: a donkey
did you pre-load the CAB? I heard that you have and I also heard that you do not have to do the pre-loading before tightening your CAB.
///Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 11:22 AM   #224
markusmarkus

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Be.M.w.e46 View Post
undo the 2 bolts holding the bush holder to the chassis, then the arm will drop down, then put a puller on and off it comes, but putting the powerflex bush and holder on seemed far to easy, thats why i asked if any one else had fitted powerflex and if theres went on as easy?
Not on a 330ci coupe - the bottom re-enforcement panel is too big. In fact, with this panel (not 2 bars) in place it's diff to get the lca/lcab out the old fashioned way!
markusmarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 05:49 PM   #225
modeboy

My Ride: '12 135i
Got a question for you guys. I have an 02 33ci and replaced my CABs around 40,000 or 50,000... with Powerflex. I have the original Control Arms and am thinking of replacing now with the Meyle. Can I keep the Powerflex bushings that I already have and just replace the arms? I'm asking because I was told the bushings can last to 100k... I have 107k on the car now, so I've put about 50-60k on the current bushings. Thanks!

Jason
modeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 01:55 PM   #226
royalratch

My Ride: 03 320d SE Touring
If they look okay then you can reuse them.

You;re talking about the Control Arm bush and not the balljoints in the actual arms right?

Also, Poweflex/Urethane bushes are way easier to fit to the bracket than BMW ones.
royalratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 07:57 PM   #227
modeboy

My Ride: '12 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by royalratch View Post
If they look okay then you can reuse them.

You;re talking about the Control Arm bush and not the balljoints in the actual arms right?

Also, Poweflex/Urethane bushes are way easier to fit to the bracket than BMW ones.
No, I already have powerflex bushings... I'm talking about the control arms themselves (with potentially worn out ball joints). I put the powerflex bushings on about 50k miles ago. The control arms are still original oem, never replaced so far. Thoughts?

Jason
modeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 10:35 PM   #228
prabh711

My Ride: 330CiC
I have a 01 330Ci (E46) with 75K miles.
I am planning to replace the OEM CA bushings with Meyle HD bushings.
Do I have to replace the control arms also?
Will the Meyle HD bushings fit the OEM control arms currently on the car?
Thanks!
prabh711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 08:16 PM   #229
stewey

My Ride: 2002 325Ci
Hi prabh711, I just replaced the OEM bushings yesterday with the Meyle HD bushings (from bimmerworld.com). I only did the bushings (not the control arms). They are a direct replacement and the ride is great. Huge improvement, especially when your old bushings are totally shot!

This DIY was a big help. I would just add that I needed a 12" F clamp to get the new bushings on. I wasn't able to fit them on with a hammer, but the clamp did it no problem.
stewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 08:43 PM   #230
krs330

My Ride: 330xi
330xi control arm bushin

Is it an absolute must to remove any of da chasis braces to remove da passenger side control arm bushin.I know da xi set up is different,havin probs with SEARCH i'm using my phone need some info.tryin to get it done when i get bac in da morn.thx
krs330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 09:45 PM   #231
rpl

My Ride: 2002 330ci
^hey, thanks for the headache before I go to bed tonight.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:40 PM   #232
nastyemu

My Ride: e46
question to the OP:

Why did you pull the old bushing/carrier off the old control arms? If you're replacing with new arms and bushings... why bother? Trying to figure out if I missed something here...
nastyemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 11:03 PM   #233
Pimpwerx

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325Ci
So I did the passenger side FCA+B. I have a couple questions:

1. How far does the powerflex bushing need to go on the FCA? Does it go to the end of the hex pattern?

2. I used a jack to push the inner and outer ball joints into place. Is it a problem if the inner joint was supporting some of the weight of the car on the jack?

When I put everything together, the inner ball joint doesn't look as compressed as the OEM one on the driver's side. However, I also couldn't jack the joint up any further (it just started lifting the car) and had tightened the nut as tight as possible. I felt like I had to fight to get the housing to sit over its bolt holes. I ended up positioning the arm over all 4 holes first, then started tightening the inner joint first, then outer, and then finally the housing.

I wonder if this is the reason for the alignment going slightly off. I don't know if the housing was on the arm far enough when I tightened it down. Could I unfasten the housing and outer ball joint and repeat those last two steps again after pushing the bushing on tighter? PEACE.
Pimpwerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 07:04 PM   #234
jvidamins

My Ride: 2000 328i Manual
Just replaced my right front control arm and both bushings, hoping to eliminate the severe bump steer I was experiencing. It seems to have gotten rid of most of it, but I still notice some still there. Is there anything else that could be causing this? Or will this always accompany the "sports car-like" suspension of the BMW?
jvidamins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 07:35 PM   #235
alwaysbored786

My Ride: Noble|M3|XJ
just changed out both front control arms and bushings with BMW Performance ones. Ride feels sooooooooooooo awesome!! Nice and tight, i love it.

However, its a b*tch put remove and put control arms in, and im NEVER going to do this again, ill pay someone next time

*NO F-BOMBS IN SIGS*
How to refinish rims
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldintake View Post
I am proposing opening up a Paypal fund for OP. The funds will directly be used in purchasing a farm so that OP can grow some balls.
alwaysbored786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 09:14 PM   #236
Mclovin1458

My Ride: 2005 325ci, zsp/zpp
Realy? As long as you are using a pickle fork and a 4lb hammer, its a piece of cake! Only trouble i ran into were the inner balljoint balls, they were a ***** to undo due to the location
Old 08-08-2010, 10:45 PM   #237
Pimpwerx

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325Ci
After doing the driver's side, my alignment is straight. The car handles great. I wonder how long it stays this tight, because I love it. The rear stands out as being soft now. I have the bushings and will have the tool here sometime this week. I wasted all summer, but now I'm taking care of a huge pile of parts I've had sitting in a room for months. PEACE.
Pimpwerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 08:05 AM   #238
yogi799

My Ride: 99 328i auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvidamins View Post
Just replaced my right front control arm and both bushings, hoping to eliminate the severe bump steer I was experiencing. It seems to have gotten rid of most of it, but I still notice some still there. Is there anything else that could be causing this? Or will this always accompany the "sports car-like" suspension of the BMW?
Yup, I wonder the same. Is this the tie rod ends, anyone? Mine were never done, car has 120k, steering actually feels very nice and tight but I do get that bump steer as well. Any advice would be great.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:33 AM   #239
alwaysbored786

My Ride: Noble|M3|XJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mclovin1458 View Post
Realy? As long as you are using a pickle fork and a 4lb hammer, its a piece of cake! Only trouble i ran into were the inner balljoint balls, they were a ***** to undo due to the location
yea thats what im pretty much talking about. I had some friends helping me out on the diy, and one of them had the "smart" idea of jacking up the engine while taking out the engine mount nut on the bottom, to create more room. It made more room and was easy to take out, but putting it in sucked ball sack nuts to the max, as you have to hold it with an allen key while trying to turn it in such a tiny mofo spot. It took me 6 hours to do this (with some tiny breaks in between)

The outer ball joints werent bad at all to do, and fcabs were a piece of cake. But god damn it was worth it, the ride feels so much better with these arms.

*NO F-BOMBS IN SIGS*
How to refinish rims
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldintake View Post
I am proposing opening up a Paypal fund for OP. The funds will directly be used in purchasing a farm so that OP can grow some balls.
alwaysbored786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 11:16 PM   #240
jvidamins

My Ride: 2000 328i Manual
Also, while replacing my passenger side front control arm, I noticed another little tiny sensor or something attached in the middle of the control arm with a tiny ball joint. The new control arm didn't have this. What is it? Is it important to put back on? Mine was broken before, so I'd kind of like to know what it is.

Ok - nevermind. Figured out it's my Xenon auto-leveler. No wonder my headlights are pointing practically straight down!

Last edited by jvidamins; 08-09-2010 at 11:39 PM.
jvidamins is offline   Reply With Quote