E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 22 votes, 4.82 average. Display Modes
Old 04-23-2008, 12:15 PM   #81
Snik
OEM ///Member

My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsevader View Post
BMW does in fact use a 'special lubricant' for the installation of the control arm bushings. I don't have an E46 Bentley yet but the E30 Bentley talks about this.

The part number is 81 22 9 407 284 I believe. It only comes in enormous containers though so good luck actually ordering some.

The 'Special Lubricant' is in fact Turpentine. It provides just enough slipperiness and evaporates quickly. Though I would be highly wary of actually soaking a bushing in the stuff.

Greases or things like that are a no no as someone has already mentioned. You want the inner race of the bush to basically bond to the arm which is why it's such a pain in the ass to remove. This bonding is what lets the bushing do its work which is also why they fail, eventually the twisting will break down the rubber.
imagine that.
Snik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 11:07 AM   #82
Rickljc

My Ride: 2003 330 ci
I was wondering how you make sure it time to replace control arm and bushing,because i have no ideal should i change or not
Rickljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 08:25 PM   #83
pijal9110

My Ride: 318i 4 door
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpr View Post
Here's the TIS version of how to do it - nothing new actually, but some might find it interesting.

And it does specifically call for installation with soapy water.
This is excellent, much appreciated!
pijal9110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 12:27 PM   #84
ddvm5

My Ride: e46 m3
any tips on removing rear lower wishbone, bolts are already loosen but the bolt won't release. Any would be great. Thx
ddvm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 07:19 AM   #85
Buster_Blader

My Ride: 325i Wagon
Is an alignment necessary after this fix?
Buster_Blader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 08:43 AM   #86
jpr

My Ride: '99 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster_Blader View Post
Is an alignment necessary after this fix?
Theoretically, no, so long as you are very conscientious about installing the arms to the bushings at the same insertion depth as the old arms.

As a practical matter though, it's a very good idea to get an alignment. If you have worn out control arm ball joints, odds are it's also been a while since you had an alignment done.

The other alternative would be to check and adjust your front toe yourself - DIY instructions here - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=459889
jpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 04:06 PM   #87
Buster_Blader

I'm having a massively hard time removing the arms. They seem glued to the car. I've been using a pickel fork to remove them, but they seem to not budge. WD-40, soapy water. Everything is proving to be useless. Any advice??
Old 06-24-2008, 04:34 PM   #88
19328i99

My Ride: BG 95 M3
3lb hammer and DONT swing your purse at it. You really gotta beat the hell out of 'em sometimes
Old 06-24-2008, 07:07 PM   #89
Buster_Blader

Alright, i guess ill try again tomorrow at it.
Old 06-25-2008, 01:01 PM   #90
gen247

My Ride: 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster_Blader View Post
I'm having a massively hard time removing the arms. They seem glued to the car. I've been using a pickel fork to remove them, but they seem to not budge. WD-40, soapy water. Everything is proving to be useless. Any advice??

It's not a good idea to use a pickel fork. It will mess up the control arm rubber bushing. Go and rent a control arm 2 prong puller (i think that's what they call it) from Autozone. Way easier. No 3lbs hammer needed. Just a socket wrench.
gen247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 02:09 PM   #91
19328i99

My Ride: BG 95 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen247 View Post
It's not a good idea to use a pickel fork. It will mess up the control arm rubber bushing. Go and rent a control arm 2 prong puller (i think that's what they call it) from Autozone. Way easier. No 3lbs hammer needed. Just a socket wrench.
This is a good idea if you are not planning on replacing the CA, but my assumption is that if you are posting in the meyle diy thread and removing the control arms then chances are you are replacing the control arms as well. If you are going replacement then the pickle fork and 3lb. hammer are all you need. Plenty of people here as well as most shops use the pickle fork method.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:07 AM   #92
Buster_Blader

I finished the DIY last week. WOW the car is a totally different beast. Sharp handling and the fact in the back of my head that i did it. This coming from someone who hasn't even done an oil change ever. Thanks to everyone!
Old 07-02-2008, 02:03 PM   #93
Optio

My Ride: 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen247 View Post
I have the two prong lever, it will only fit the outer ball joint...no way to get into the inner ball joint with the steering rack and subframe
Optio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 09:06 AM   #94
pablo e46

My Ride: 03 M3 & 03 330Ci
My HD control arm bushings I got from bimmerworld failed immediately on the first road test. They are leaking oil and the O ring on the fwd and aft sides has separated from the main assy. anybody else have this problem? Who makes the best bushing that is not going to give me anymore trouble? and yes I did replace the control arms at the same time.
pablo e46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 12:46 PM   #95
Optio

My Ride: 328i
I just completed the control arm replacement with the Meyle HD's. One thing that I found, it makes life much easier if you remove the front anti-sway bar before attempting to remove the inner ball joint bolts....it gives more swing for the one ended 21 mm wrench.

All I can say is holy shiat batman.......what an improvement and I did not need an alignment
Optio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 12:00 AM   #96
Snik
OEM ///Member

My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo e46 View Post
My HD control arm bushings I got from bimmerworld failed immediately on the first road test. They are leaking oil and the O ring on the fwd and aft sides has separated from the main assy. anybody else have this problem? Who makes the best bushing that is not going to give me anymore trouble? and yes I did replace the control arms at the same time.
meyle buhings dont have oil in em.
Snik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 02:58 PM   #97
YOnpds

My Ride: E46
WoW! Great Information everyone. Thank you.

I'm having problems with removing the outer passenger ball joint. Pickle fork and hammer method did not work.

Next step is this:

Question is, which one and why? You guys know the difference or which one would you recommend.

1) Sears OTC Ball Joint Separator $44.99

2) Sears KD Tools Universal Ball Joint Separator $19.99

3) NAPA Ball Joint Separator $19.09

4) NAPA Ball Joint Separator $23.49

5) Bimmer Tools Tie Rod/Ball Joint Lifter $18.95

6) Bimmer Tools Ball Joint Separator $54.00
YOnpds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 04:41 PM   #98
pablo e46

Quote:
I'm having problems with removing the outer passenger ball joint. Pickle fork and hammer method did not work.
Get a bigger hammer!!!! One good wack with my sledge broke it loose.
Old 07-20-2008, 04:44 PM   #99
pablo e46

Quote:
Quote:
meyle buhings dont have oil in em.[/QUOTE]

Wrong bimmerbreath. The HD bushings I got from bimmerworkd most definitely had oil inside. It was dripping out after they failed. By the way, bimmerworld did send replacements. I went with the powerflex and everything seems to be fine now.

Last edited by pablo e46; 07-20-2008 at 04:46 PM. Reason: fix quote
Old 07-20-2008, 05:10 PM   #100
YOnpds

My Ride: E46
Quote:
Get a bigger hammer!!!! One good wack with my sledge broke it loose.
Used a 3lb hammer with no luck.
YOnpds is offline   Reply With Quote