E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-17-2015, 04:19 AM   #1
paraklas

My Ride: ESS TS2 320ci
DIY: E46 Rear Wheel Bearing Replacement - Lots of pics!

At 220k km my car developed a "wobling" sound coming from the rear end. I suspected rear bearings due to mileage so I gave it a go.

Ordered 2 new SKF bearings, lock clip and the nut as a kit. The nut for the 320 is a 30mm one. Torque 250nm. Also ordered a set of genuine ATE handbrake spring kit to replace the rusted parts.

First of all, this is NOT an easy DIY. I do not have any special tools and I made my own trying to remove/install the bearings. Since 2001, everything was seized; hub on bearing race, bearing on housing, shaft on bearing etc. It took me 3 days to do this mainly because of stuck parts.

Place car on jackstands; lift rear end from diff support bracket first.

Bearing kit:

Handbrake spring kit:

Bearing pressing pipe, 30mm socket & E14 socket for half-shafts to diff flange

Impact wrench for removal of everything

I will show only one side for this DIY, the hard one with the exhaust in the way
Wheels out:

fun begins

E14 bolts for removal - REPLACE WITH NEW - 80Nm

Using a punch, undo the nut security lock on the shaft

Impact wrench to get the nut out

http://vid283.photobucket.com/albums...g/DSCF2135.mp4

Long extension to get the half shaft bolts

Remove disk by locking it on the caliper and unscrew the little allen bolt

16mm bolt removal for brake calipers. Remove and hang them to not stress the brake lines. 65Nm

Forgive the ugly brake shoes from my 330 brake conversion

Puller to push the shaft out + banging with a large hammer. I temporarily installed the collar nut to avoid damage to axle threads.

After around 2h

Remove anti-roll bar, loosen exhaust to make way for the axle to drop

Home made tool to act as a hub separator

Using wheel bolts as a counter force to push

Tata!

Bearing race stuck on hub

Puller to get it out (scratched the surfaces a bit but nothing critical:

Custom puller to get the rest of the bearing out of the case AFTER REMOVING THE CIRCLIP OF COURSE:

Cleaned and rust proofed all surfaces:

New bearing going in

FAT threaded rot with pipe to be used a a pressing tool

All in

brand new lock clip in place. If it snaps in place, means the bearing is fully seated

Last edited by paraklas; 03-17-2015 at 04:21 AM.
paraklas is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-17-2015, 04:19 AM   #2
paraklas

Pressing the hub in, whatever washers are used must be inside the housing to be in contact with the bearing race. You don't want to push it out!

Repeat all of the above for the opposite side. Slide halfshafts in the hub and gently tap them on the bearing side (not on the diff side) until there is enough threaded part to allow the collar nut to grab.

Secure the exhaust in place, re-install the anti roll bar.

Assemble the rebuilt handbrake and adjust it roughly with the rotor

Install brake disk and caliper and lock the disk to allow proper collar nut tightening.

Start the car put it on 2nd and check for noises, etc
http://vid283.photobucket.com/albums...g/DSCF2184.mp4

Punch the new collar nut to secure it on the shaft

Don't forget the details

Install wheels and properly torque them
Old 03-18-2015, 09:23 PM   #3
slimSkit

My Ride: 330ci
Really great diy! Will use it this summer
slimSkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 01:39 AM   #4
glhx

My Ride: 2002 330ci
Also......eds garage has and excellent top not video of this on you tube.
Installation and removal
glhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 09:15 AM   #5
paraklas

Yeah I actually went through both of his videos (removal+install without special tools), very helpful indeed.
Old 03-19-2015, 09:30 PM   #6
eweis

My Ride: 1999 328i
Nice non-tool DIY.
But what the hell happened to your dust shield that it had to be welded back together in the past?
eweis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 02:57 AM   #7
paraklas

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweis View Post
Nice non-tool DIY.
But what the hell happened to your dust shield that it had to be welded back together in the past?
330 rear brake conversion, in the DIY section here too. The 330 rotor is much bigger, so i improvised regarding the dust shield. Not a pretty job but nobody can see it back there
Old 10-09-2015, 11:10 PM   #8
wardpower

My Ride: 99' 328i Sedan
I'm in the middle of doing both of my rear bearings. Using a B-90 tool but one of the stub axles was stuck in the hub and by Dad and I tried everything we could for days to get it out. were taking sledgehammers and gear pullers to it every which way. I broke down and bought a CTA 4305 because I read in another post that if you attach the tool then loosen the lugs 2 turns for clearance and tighten it down all the way, then hit the bolt with a sledge, it'll get it loose little by little. I bolted up the tool and didn't even need a sledge, it took the hub with the inner race out and left the axle spindle sitting there loose.
wardpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 03:22 AM   #9
marcianello

My Ride: 2005 325i
Can somebody post the link to Ed's Garage video?
marcianello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 12:21 PM   #10
Hrvat

My Ride: 02 Imola Red M3

PM ME FOR FREE SAMPLES

Quote:
Originally Posted by roronoah View Post
so 2004 bmw's dont come with a diff?
Hrvat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 06:12 PM   #11
marcianello

My Ride: 2005 325i
Thank you!
marcianello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 06:37 PM   #12
C130E46

My Ride: 323i, E63 AMG
Just finished the left rear on my daughter's 2002 325i. Couple quick observations based on using this and a couple of other threads for help. Our hub was very stuck. Broke two manual pullers (weren't the greatest quality). Finally used the Harbor Freight 12 ton puller, plus a 2 1/2 lb sledge in conjunction with a brass hammer (also HF) plus a MAPP torch. Alternated heating, then shots with the sledge (where we used the brass hammer as a punch to prevent damage to the threads, and then the puller. Finally popped free in very small increments. I don't think the HF 5-ton puller would have pulled this off - we had a couple occasions where the hydraulics bypassed internally with the 12 ton. Used a slap hammer to pull off the hub and the HF bearing puller kit to remove and replace the actual bearing. Our inner race stayed intact, so we were spared that fight.

Couple other quick thoughts - if you're going to use a slap hammer, might want to have a couple of extra wheel bolts - it's pretty hard on them. Also, when removing the 6 inside Torx axle bolts, make sure to seat the socket all the way. Our bolts were pretty crudded up and it would have been very easy to not seat the socket all the way and have it slip and round off the bolts.

Thanks to everyone who has posted the detailed DIYs for this job - when using this much force on the car, it's nice to know you're not doing something stupid.
C130E46 is offline   Reply With Quote