E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-17-2016, 05:28 PM   #1
UnfortunateM56

My Ride: 04 325i
Need help with some body/bumper rep work

Hey guys, I know this is a long shot since you cant look at the car personally but I really need some help with this. I have had this car about a year now and the dude I got it from didn't take care of it worth ****. So since then I've been left to pick up the pieces, I'm trying to figure out what the hell is missing and why I can't get this rep bumper to mount. I feel like I'm missing fender liners screws and all types of stuff. I need a hood latch or something because my hood wont stay down too (you can see its raised a little bit in the picture). Anyone maybe live in sac that can help?

UnfortunateM56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-18-2016, 10:35 AM   #2
Gus-CO

My Ride: 323ci
I am working on my wife's 323 bumper right now.

Hers is a little different look than yours, but that aluminum cross member support is the same. In her car the bumper cover has an intermediate piece in between cover and cross member also made of plastic and "welded"to the bumper cover. That intermediate piece of plastic has the holes throug where you rivet (plastic rivets) the cross member to. The cross member gets out of the car by two big torx bolts. It then is riveted to the bumper cover and the cover has the holes on the air intake to insert the torx bolt and fix the whole set (cross member + bumper cover) back to the car.

I don't see the front of your bumper. I know for sure that the bumper with a black plastic cover on front of it mounts differently. It bolts straight to the cross member instead of using the torx bolts (that are still there, regardless).

If you are missing the intermediate part of your bumper (I can't really see that happening, but I can't see it in your bumper cover either) you probably can get a destroyed bumper at a junkyard, rip it from the old bumper and weld to your bumper using a plastic welding iron.

Last edited by Gus-CO; 04-18-2016 at 06:11 PM.
Gus-CO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 10:36 AM   #3
Gus-CO

.. ..

Last edited by Gus-CO; 04-18-2016 at 10:36 AM. Reason: duplicated
Old 04-18-2016, 10:06 PM   #4
UnfortunateM56

Thanks for the response, there is no middle plastic piece for mounting, it's all one piece.
Old 04-19-2016, 11:14 AM   #5
Gus-CO

If it helps, my wife's car bumper cover was not riveted to the aluminum member, was just being hold by the white rails and screws elsewhere and held up OK. However, the intermediary piece of plastic, even if not riveted to the aluminum member kinda fits in the center groove giving some support...
Old 04-19-2016, 01:37 PM   #6
UnfortunateM56

Okay so those white rails hold it onand doesn't mount using the front torx bolt. What's weird is I have a hole to access that bolt (see pic). Also where did you screw the bumper to? And would you happen to have a part number for those screws and whatever else you used to mount it? I'm missing a lot of stuff, and my bumper kinda just slides off if I brake to hard lol

Last edited by UnfortunateM56; 04-19-2016 at 01:37 PM.
Old 04-19-2016, 01:45 PM   #7
Gus-CO

This video and the part 2 show exactly what I meant....

Hers is missing a few plastic liners as well, I looked around but they are really expensive new, about $80-130 depending on what part. Junkyard would be a better shot.
Old 04-19-2016, 10:21 PM   #8
UnfortunateM56

Thanks for the video man, that helped me figured out I was missing the large wheel well liner and both the small liners, I also had to get a ton of screws and those metal clamp things. Luckily, there is recycle rd by me which has like 5 BMW yards. Picked it all up used for $50. Was a bitch to install the larger wheel well liner. It slides under the cross member or some type of metal shield behind 2 bolts to secure.