E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-11-2011, 07:17 PM   #1
phellk17

My Ride: 05 325xi
DIY: Clutch Safety Switch bypass (optional button install)

Thought this was neat i did it one day when i got bored. i like it others have their own opinions but hey whatever LOL. what this is, is a bypass of the clutch safety switch so you dont need to push the clutch in to start your car (if its a standard). this is for all models past production year 2001. i put a hidden button in place of having to push the clutch in.

Step 1: remove panel under steering wheel. there are 3 screws, a plastic thumb screw (1/4 turn to loosen), and a plastic push clip.

Step 2: disconnect the OBD port (slide blue clip forward and pull up on harness) and disconnect the light for the footwell.

Step 3: push your seat all the back and lay down on your back looking up under the dash.

Step 4: on right side of clutch (if youre laying on your back looking up) in back there will be a connector. disconnect the 4 pin connector from the module. there will be 4 wires; brown/black, dark blue/gray (or gray), violet/yellow and blue/black

Step 5: push on the back of the tab to take out the violet/yellow wire and the blue/black wire.

Step 6: here you can either hardwire them together like so (see image) or you can take each wire and hook them up to a toggle switch or push button.

Step 7: reconnect the harness into the module and start car to test. you will either not need to push the clutch in at all or flip your toggle switch/push your button to get going.

Step 8: put everything back together and enjoy!

i will post finished pics of my push button when i get a chance and when i fabricate it to where i want it

hope ya'll like this i know i do!

Last edited by phellk17; 10-11-2011 at 08:05 PM.
phellk17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-15-2011, 06:32 PM   #2
devan

My Ride: 2000 323i
I did the "no clutch start mod" on my DSM and was happy when I moved to the bimmer that I could do this as well. It drives me crazy having to sit down in the car to start it. I of course never park it in gear and have taught the wife to do the same.
devan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 02:52 PM   #3
phellk17

same here i put a hidden button that im going to take pics of today and post...makes life sooo much easier plus its easy to switch to a no clutch start if i wanted to put in a remote starter...very efficient if you dont park in gear
Old 01-15-2012, 02:21 PM   #4
Bigjake

My Ride: 2000 BMW 323ci
i tried this on my 200 and it didn't work
Bigjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 02:32 PM   #5
phellk17

Do you have the same style switch for your clutch bc i have seen older e46s with a dif style switch. It worked perfectly fine for me and i did this to my northers car and a few of my friends cars as well and it works perfectly fine
Old 01-15-2012, 02:42 PM   #6
Guest021715
Account closed.

Or you could just disable the clutch safety switch via programming..
Guest021715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 02:53 PM   #7
Bigjake

My Ride: 2000 BMW 323ci
i meant year 2000 not 200 lol. well, my car has a different swtch, and it only has 3 wires instead of 4 wires, i don't have the grey wire, but i jumped the lavender and blue with an alligator clip and plugged it back in and it didn't do anything
Bigjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 03:02 PM   #8
phellk17

Lol yeah im not quite sure how to do it on the older models, i came a cross a dew on other forums for the older style bypass do some more researxh and u should b able to find something on it
Old 01-19-2012, 09:46 PM   #9
LoveBeingUseless

My Ride: 2003 325i Sedan
may want to try to use cruise control.. If your DME see's the clutch signal as being depressed, then when you go to use your cruise control the DME will abort. The KOMBI (Gauge Cluster) sends the the signals to turn on cruise control including your speed inputs ect. to the DME. As soon as you push your clutch in, the DME will get the signal from the clutch sensor and it will then turn off the cruise control. So if you jumped those 2 wires together, your DME will think the clutch is always pressed. and if your DME thinks the clutch is in then, it wont let cruise control operate.

LoveBeingUseless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:38 PM   #10
BethDeas18

My Ride: 2004 325i
I have done the mod on my 04 325I and I still have a no start condition everything comes on everything works only no turn over. What should I check next?
BethDeas18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:42 PM   #11
phellk17

believe it or not check the fuse for the brake lights. i ran into the same issue and as soon as i replaced that fuse the car started right up perfectly fine.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:09 AM   #12
BethDeas18

My Ride: 2004 325i
I have checked all the fuses. The only thing I can think of now is the EWS.
BethDeas18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 02:01 PM   #13
VitaminC

My Ride: 2003 325iT 5 Speed
I know this is an old DIY, but you should reall update your write up to mention this will disable your cruise control. Yes it does...ask me how I know
VitaminC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 06:35 PM   #14
GSX

My Ride: .: 330i : ZHP :.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaminC View Post
I know this is an old DIY, but you should reall update your write up to mention this will disable your cruise control. Yes it does...ask me how I know
Found some good information that might help with this issue, very helpful post by member jorgmumster -- his only post actually, that has the clutch/start interrupt wire cut and spliced into the 12v wire to alleviate needing to depress the clutch, but yet retain cruise control.

Disable Clutch Switch w/o Disable CC

I'll be trying this this weekend and will report back.
Old 05-26-2015, 05:39 PM   #15
GSX

My Ride: .: 330i : ZHP :.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSX View Post
Found some good information that might help with this issue, very helpful post by member jorgmumster -- his only post actually, that has the clutch/start interrupt wire cut and spliced into the 12v wire to alleviate needing to depress the clutch, but yet retain cruise control.

Disable Clutch Switch w/o Disable CC

I'll be trying this this weekend and will report back.
Sorry for the delay, here to report that the DIY linked above does in fact removed the need to depress the clutch, and retains cruise control -- win/win.

Thanks for the great information.
Old 05-26-2015, 05:51 PM   #16
mikeetastic

My Ride: 330ci 325XiT 328Ci
you can also do this via Pasoft.. no wiring and getting under there..
mikeetastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 02:28 PM   #17
Yuki

My Ride: 2000 323iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeetastic View Post
you can also do this via Pasoft.. no wiring and getting under there..
Could you tell me how as this is one of the things to-do after my 5spd swap?
Yuki is offline   Reply With Quote