E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-23-2017, 05:05 PM   #1
330kev

My Ride: 01 330i
Solved: Instrument Cluster Not Working

I spent a ton of time looking for a solution to this problem but couldn't find any besides buying a new cluster. I DID NOT want to do that. So here is my solution to the instrument cluster not working. CHEERS!!!

So last month I was driving my car and all of the sudden my instrument cluster stopped working. The car turned on and drove fine, the radio worked, all interior and exterior lights worked, but NO MAIN instrument cluster gauges or lights. The only light that turned on was the airbag light. For some odd reason the reverse feature on my passenger side mirror also failed to work.

First thing I did was unhook the battery and plug it back in, with no luck. I then proceeded to check the fuse box for the instrument cluster, if I recall its fuses 10, 34, and 43. I checked them all with a voltmeter and they were all getting power. None of the fuses were damaged either, and still no power.

Reference this forum for wiring diagram: https://www.bmwgm5.com/bmwgm5/E46_IKE_Connections.htm

I then suspected it may be a bad ground going to the cluster. First remove the cluster. The cluster only has one ground coming from the dual row black connector. I decided to splice into the oem ground to create a NEW ground wire. Sorry I didn't show the splice, but you get the idea.

IMG_3978

I found that the the metal bar behind the instrument cluster has a tab that was a perfect place to put my NEW ground. On the other end of my NEW ground wire I crimped on a ring terminal. I then used a small bolt, washer and nut to mount the new ring terminal to the tab. I then ziptied the new ground to the main wiring harness, and ziptied the main wiring harness back to the tab.

IMG_3981

IMG_3980

I then plugged everything back in a it WORKED! My instrument cluster is back to working and it has been good for the past two weeks!

IMG_3982

car is 2002 e46 sedan
330kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-24-2017, 09:34 PM   #2
BaliDawg
Keepin' it real stock

My Ride: E24 E32 E46 E39 E84
Glad you solved it. Were you curious why the original ground connection was bad? I would trace it on the WDS and see if anything else is affected.