E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 85 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-31-2009, 01:27 PM   #241
AnotherF'nKennedy

My Ride: 02 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
It will need to be within the source's power wire.
Stupid question but can you tell me what wires go where if I am going to tie this into my power source? (cigarette lighter charger for a satellite radio). Thanks
AnotherF'nKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 01:53 PM   #242
snowcatxx87

My Ride: 04 330CI
Great DIY. Extremely simple.

I too ran my cable through my ebrake boot!
snowcatxx87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 04:49 PM   #243
bigbangtheory

My Ride: Steel Blue 99' 323i
Send a message via Yahoo to bigbangtheory
Quote:
Originally Posted by white46 View Post
here are 2 links that will help you on how to take out HU.
http://m3.madrussian.net/diy_ipod.shtml
http://www.my330i.com/mod26.php

I have placed the wire inside the sunglass box.
Can you explain this a little more? Did you route the wire from behind the HU down into the sunglass box (by drilling a small hole into the sunglass box for the wire to poke through?).

As others have said, nice write up!
Old 07-31-2009, 04:59 PM   #244
rorschach

My Ride: '01 318i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbangtheory View Post
Can you explain this a little more? Did you route the wire from behind the HU down into the sunglass box (by drilling a small hole into the sunglass box for the wire to poke through?).

As others have said, nice write up!
I personally did it like that. The iPod stays inside the sunglasses holder and I close it whenever I leave the car so it stays out of sight. Also very convenient to get to during driving to change tracks since I usually rest my right hand on the shifter.
rorschach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 05:01 PM   #245
bigbangtheory

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorschach View Post
I personally did it like that. The iPod stays inside the sunglasses holder and I close it whenever I leave the car so it stays out of sight. Also very convenient to get to during driving to change tracks since I usually rest my right hand on the shifter.
Very cool! How did you remove the sunglass box?
Old 07-31-2009, 05:03 PM   #246
rorschach

My Ride: '01 318i
Open the cover, push up on the "ceiling" of the holder and pull towards yourself.
rorschach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 05:50 PM   #247
bigbangtheory

Quote:
Open the cover, push up on the "ceiling" of the holder and pull towards yourself.
Ah, so easy! Thanks!
Old 08-02-2009, 12:54 PM   #248
bigbangtheory

Quote:
Originally Posted by white46 View Post
This is not how to install aux input cable rather how to make it.
Seriously, I don't want to spend about $50 for a stinking cable.
I'm in Canada and usually BMW parts are more expensive than US.

Let's get started.

1. This was male on both end and I just cut one side.

2. Close up

3. Some people might wonder what this is.

This is a cable that I found from my old computer I was about to throw away. This pin connects to motherboard for power switch, reset switch, hdd led, power led, etc.
Do not cut the other end of this cable, just pull the pins out. It will help you to solder it.

4. See? It is so much easier to connect them to solder it.

5. 3 small and 1 big heat shrink tube.

6. Ok. It is done.

7. From HU, pin 8,9(left,right or right,left don't care too much. ) and pin 4(ground) need to be connected.
You will be surprised how well it fits.

8. Finished

Total cost $0. Because I found everthing I need at home and it works great.
Just did it! Couldn't be happier. Thank you so much for this post. I followed your instructions to a tee (actually ripped out some spare pc connectors for parts).

Took all of 20 minutes. Total cost? $0.00
Old 08-02-2009, 08:25 PM   #249
Robbski

My Ride: 2005 ZHP
Quote:

Sunglass box is the is the ultimate lazy man's way to add the aux capability!

After horsing around with the glove box method and the next to the DSC button method I looked at the back of the sunglass holder and said why not. I wish I had the hour back I spent on the other options.

All you have to do is pull the stereo, add the wire, pull the sunglasses box, fish the wire down past the climate controls, drill a hole in the sunglass box, fit the wire in and put everything back where it belongs. Toughest thing is getting the fargargling trim off!
Robbski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 12:37 PM   #250
ab0234

My Ride: 330Ci
Thanks!!!!

I just did this to my 2006 330Ci and it works perfect. I ran mine up into the bottom of the ash tray and the ipod touch fits perfect. Now I think I'll get a wired inline remote to mount somewhere for pause, play and skip without having to unlock the ipod. Thanks so much for the DIY!!!
Art.
ab0234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 11:43 PM   #251
tony325ci_51

My Ride: BMW 335i 2007 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony325ci_51 View Post
Parts

The parts list in English is included below:

from http://www2.conrad-uk.com

Quantity Part no Description
---------------------------------------------------------
1 x 734136 Stereo jack socket 3.5 mm
2 x 453366 Capacitor 0.22 UF KDPU 5.08 mm
1 x 421030 Metal-film resistr 0.6W 1% 300K 020
1 x 607754 Heat-shrink tubing set 3:1
1 x 527769 Euro board 160 X 100 dot pattern
Plus
1 x shielded stereo "phono" lead
1x 3.5mm stereo mini-jack lead (to hook up MP3 player.)
1x 10-pin socket (I cannibalised existing redundant CD changer plug)

Parts arrived, after a few snags this little mission is complete.

The body of the 10-pin plug I'd ordered was too wide so I improvised. Tried cutting it down with a dremel but it just fell apart as the clips holding the back on latch onto the sides. Anyway..

I don't have a CD changer so I snipped off and used the (perfect size) plug from the unused changer lead which goes from the stereo to the (empty) changer position in the boot, very useful, more of that later **. I did have to move a couple of pins in my cannibalised plug to get them in positions 4 (R & L -), 8 (R+) and 9 (L+).

Made up the PCB with components and used a shielded stereo phono lead (after cutting the plugs off) and a shielded stereo mini-jack on the other end.

Hint: Allow enough length to loop behind HU's plastic carrier tray and then out of the hole in the dash to connect to stereo. I almost didn't so pushing the plug into the stereo was more difficult than it should have been.

Before fitting into the dash, Test the cable. (Actually, before starting at all you can test if it's possible for you to use aux by using cable clips to insert the resistor between pins 8 & 9. If AUX can be toggled through Mode button with resistor connected you do have an AUX input! Incidentally I needed the resistor as I tested just connecting the MP3 player on it's own and it wouldn't make AUX input appear.). Tested sound from my MP3 player works. Making good progress!

I routed cable straight down from stereo and out of bottom of trim (by your ankles in the RH footwell). Do this by prising trim out slightly with a screwdriver to make a gap and pushing a modified wire hanger up until you can see it through the hole with the HU out. Some bending of the wire hanger may be needed to get it to pop up within reach. Attach the socket end of the cable to the hanger and use the hanger to pull the cable down until your socket end is hanging down in the footwell.

Unclip gearstick gaiter by squeezing sides gently in to release 2 clips each side (no need to remove gaiter or gearknob). Undo 2 screws at the rear of gear lever surround, unclip each side's window switch wires and lift gear lever surround (with switches) out and manouvre over gaiter. You can then take the surround indoors and drill with precision (and you'll need to).
Either drill this before routing the cable or have a spare mini-jack socket to ensure you drill the right size hole. Take it slowly as precision is essential here to obtain a neat hole. Drill slowly, using little force, from below, right between the pillars that hold the window switch in place at the back. (I found a "hss" drill bit made a clean hole in the composite wood effect surround.) The hard bit was then half-countersinking the hole from below as the wood effect surround was as thick as the length of the threaded part of the mini-jack socket, and I needed enough of the thread to protrude above the hole to enable me to get the locking ring on. I did this countersinking with a "wood" drill bit, very slowly, even doing the last part by twisting the drill bit by hand to scrape the hole out. This is a time for patience as if you go all the way through with this larger drill bit you've ruined the whole job and your gearstick surround will have a useless big hole in it.

Take your cable hanging in the footwell and tuck it up along the side of the centre console, routing it conveniently round to where your hole is, insert mini-jack socket from below, screw up locking ring and nip it tight with long-nose pliers (not too tight, don't want to crack the brittle surface of the shiny wood effect). Connect the window switch plugs, fit the gearstick surround by tucking the locating lugs at the front under first, then seating the rear and screw it down.

Check AUX input still works and that you haven't pulled out cable in the process, if all OK refit gaiter and HU and the job's a good one! The MP3 player volume is still less than a strong radio station or CD though.

I got a right-angle short mini-jack cable for my Phillips Go Gear MP3 player, I'll probably use a piece of velcro to hold it in place when I'm using it in the car.

Now where to put it ???

** I did do other stuff during this install but not relevant to the AUX input thread so it will appear in the more relevant "Want to install amp using factory head unit (but have no standard amp)" thread:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=582306
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	aux_cable1.jpg
Views:	3435
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	326986   Click image for larger version

Name:	aux_cable2.jpg
Views:	3408
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	326987   Click image for larger version

Name:	aux_cable3.jpg
Views:	3412
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	326988   Click image for larger version

Name:	aux_cable4_connected.jpg
Views:	3867
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	326989  

Name:	aux_cable5_socket.jpg
Views:	3394
Size:	150.8 KB
ID:	326990   Click image for larger version

Name:	aux_cable6.jpg
Views:	3420
Size:	155.8 KB
ID:	326991   Click image for larger version

Name:	aux_cable7.jpg
Views:	3317
Size:	152.6 KB
ID:	326992   Click image for larger version

Name:	aux_cable8.jpg
Views:	3321
Size:	154.7 KB
ID:	326993  

Name:	aux_cable9.jpg
Views:	3383
Size:	157.3 KB
ID:	326994  

Last edited by tony325ci_51; 08-11-2009 at 11:49 PM.
tony325ci_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 04:28 AM   #252
Cobra

My Ride: '00 328i & '06 R6S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staszek View Post
E46

Auxiliary Audio Input
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Installation of this kit provides a direct audio input into the radio for MP3 - CD player etc
For model year 2003 and newer. E46 w/o nav
w
i List: $ 39.95 *
Sale: $ 31.96 *

At Circlebmw
damnit, so those of us with 2002 and older model years pretty much have to buy a newer head unit?
Old 08-15-2009, 02:49 AM   #253
phamine

My Ride: 01 Orient Blue 330i
Send a message via AIM to phamine Send a message via Yahoo to phamine
^^Yes^^
phamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 04:47 AM   #254
NikolaiD

My Ride: 2002 M3C
Send a message via AIM to NikolaiD Send a message via MSN to NikolaiD Send a message via Yahoo to NikolaiD Send a message via Skype™ to NikolaiD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra View Post
damnit, so those of us with 2002 and older model years pretty much have to buy a newer head unit?
Yup... unless you have a tape deck, then it's even easier.

My Ride: 2002 M3C

NikolaiD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 05:45 AM   #255
bilabong32

My Ride: 2004 325i
Great looking DIY, still working out where to feed the wires and where I want my input to be placed.
bilabong32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 02:39 AM   #256
Gts

My Ride: E46 316i
I have a 2002 tape deck. How it is easier on this one?
I opened it and I tried to get the signal after the tape head but it is very bad.
and I am sick of using tape converters
Old 08-21-2009, 07:40 AM   #257
valks

My Ride: 320D
I have made the rquired lead, but aux is not showing. I am gonna add the resistors later to see if it works. I have a correct hu.
valks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 12:59 PM   #258
valks

I have attached a resistor across pins 8 & 9. Now aux appears. But when I attach my iPhone it cuts off back to radio. Does anyone have any ideas ?. I don't have a chargers attached to my iPhone.
Old 08-22-2009, 06:22 AM   #259
valks

Does anyone have any ideas why it keeps switching back?
Old 08-23-2009, 12:21 PM   #260
Oil_Burner

My Ride: 330 Cd M Sport
After removing the HU and sunglasses holder (again) and adding the resistor I've got access to AUX however, like valks, it switches back when I attach my ipod - what's goin on?
Oil_Burner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bmw aux in, diy aux input, input cable