E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 28 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-19-2010, 10:16 PM   #421
Darth Maul

My Ride: 330CI
Well, I wired everything and hooked it up to see if it works and everything is perfect!

Blue was ground, yellow was right, and white was left. Just like I had stated. All I need to do now is route the aux input somewhere. Thanks for the help and this is a freakin awesome DIY!
Old 09-19-2010, 10:17 PM   #422
Andy2108

My Ride: E46 M3, '67 Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillieidiot View Post
if you have a voltmeter, just check for continuity from the plug and the ends of each wire. you can look up the plug diagram for it to tell you which is which. would be the best way i guess
my next suggestion

I switched up left and right in my car, but w/e

I routed the wire down back behind the hvac and storage box, under ash tray, past shifter, infront of ebrake, and then crossed over under cup holders and had the last like 8" of the cord go down between the carpet and the plastic on the passanger side so I can plug in my iPhone from my cup holder with minimal wires.

De gustibus non est disputandum.

Last edited by Andy2108; 09-19-2010 at 10:19 PM.
Andy2108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 10:19 PM   #423
sillieidiot

My Ride: '06 AW 330ci
Send a message via AIM to sillieidiot
cool glad to see you got it worked out. would be funny if the l/r were switched when you mess with the balance on the source lol not like it would matter though

Have a lighting problem? Read this first:
Lighting-related Troubleshooting Guide
sillieidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 10:25 PM   #424
Darth Maul

Yeah, thanks guys for the helpful information. I'm glad we all solved another DIY project! Man I love this DIY project. I showed my dad and he wants me to do his ZHP Vert....
Old 09-19-2010, 11:08 PM   #425
sillieidiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy2108 View Post
my next suggestion

I switched up left and right in my car, but w/e

I routed the wire down back behind the hvac and storage box, under ash tray, past shifter, infront of ebrake, and then crossed over under cup holders and had the last like 8" of the cord go down between the carpet and the plastic on the passanger side so I can plug in my iPhone from my cup holder with minimal wires.
nice. i stuck a jack on the button console area next to my heated seats button then whenever i feel like using it, i just bust out an aux cable and plug it in. then unplug and put it away like the jack was meant to be there or something lol

Old 09-19-2010, 11:19 PM   #426
nihad05

My Ride: E92 335i
Quote:
nice. i stuck a jack on the button console area next to my heated seats button then whenever i feel like using it, i just bust out an aux cable and plug it in. then unplug and put it away like the jack was meant to be there or something lol
i like that idea

i did this DIY myself a while ago, but my quality is horrible, anyone else have this problem? like its that crappy to where i dont even use it
Old 09-20-2010, 12:11 AM   #427
Darth Maul

I routed my aux input under the cup holder, I think I'm going to get one of those trays with a slider.
Old 09-20-2010, 12:48 AM   #428
sillieidiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by nihad05 View Post
i like that idea

i did this DIY myself a while ago, but my quality is horrible, anyone else have this problem? like its that crappy to where i dont even use it
it just depends on your source. crap in, crap out. HQ in, decent quality out. could be connection issues, you bought a mono cable or something. iono. i don't really have a problem, i'm not expecting HQ sound from a stereo jack so yea

Old 09-20-2010, 10:43 PM   #429
nihad05

Quote:
it just depends on your source. crap in, crap out. HQ in, decent quality out. could be connection issues, you bought a mono cable or something. iono. i don't really have a problem, i'm not expecting HQ sound from a stereo jack so yea
im not sure the name of the part i used but it came off a cable from the back of an old computer. maybe its just the aux cable, its kinda thin, probably not the best quality
Old 09-20-2010, 11:17 PM   #430
mystic_zhp

My Ride: 04 330i zhp
Can anyone give me a more detailed picture of the connector that plugs into the back of the radio. I took apart a old computer of mine but I am not sure what size connector I am looking for exactly, and I know absolutely nothing about computers so the information above on where to pull from was no help to me.

Thanks guys, hopefully I can find the right connector and get this done in the next day or two, I am tired of listening to the same crap on the radio.
mystic_zhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 11:20 PM   #431
carsos

My Ride: '03 325Ci
Quote:
i like that idea

i did this DIY twice. the first time, i used a real thick audio cable from radioshack, like the one in the OP. it worked beautifully. but, i decided i was annoyed by this, since the connector was not right-angle, my blackberry would not fit cleanly into the sunglass holder (where i ran the cable through).

i replaced it with a thinner cable with a right-angle connector. this was a mistake. the thinner cable was way harder to work with, and eventually stopped working.

tl:dr version: use a decent cable, solder and heat-shrink the connections, and you should be ok.
carsos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 11:25 PM   #432
nihad05

Quote:
Originally Posted by carsos View Post
i did this DIY twice. the first time, i used a real thick audio cable from radioshack, like the one in the OP. it worked beautifully. but, i decided i was annoyed by this, since the connector was not right-angle, my blackberry would not fit cleanly into the sunglass holder (where i ran the cable through).

i replaced it with a thinner cable with a right-angle connector. this was a mistake. the thinner cable was way harder to work with, and eventually stopped working.

tl:dr version: use a decent cable, solder and heat-shrink the connections, and you should be ok.
guess ill be going to buy a cable in the morning....whats an average price for a decent cable? whatever i get i have to cut the end right? to fit into the connector?......also there is like almost zero bass when playing my ipod, and i know its not the settings(also cable issue?)......also another problem i was having was a lot of static when i touched my ipod, im guessing bc the back is metal?
Old 09-21-2010, 02:03 AM   #433
sillieidiot

Quote:
im not sure the name of the part i used but it came off a cable from the back of an old computer. maybe its just the aux cable, its kinda thin, probably not the best quality
i would say it's the cable

Old 09-21-2010, 02:04 AM   #434
sillieidiot

Quote:
guess ill be going to buy a cable in the morning....whats an average price for a decent cable? whatever i get i have to cut the end right? to fit into the connector?......also there is like almost zero bass when playing my ipod, and i know its not the settings(also cable issue?)......also another problem i was having was a lot of static when i touched my ipod, im guessing bc the back is metal?
i would check your connection too. are you grounding it correctly? should not have any static. the cable can't be more than 10 bucks. just pick one up at radio shack.

Old 09-21-2010, 07:17 AM   #435
profor

My Ride: E46 320d 2003
Quote:
i like that idea

Show us the pics of soldering and all the stuff.

Regarding capacitors, there should be used foil capacitors used mainly in audio equipment so they should not have + and -

regarding the capacity, i tried different capacities, but when You increase capacity, lower frequencies will pass easier than higher so You can easily cut off high frequencies if You dont know what are You doing.

I had only one issue with AUX on my E46 and it was problem with iPod where i had to use grounding loop separator (transformers) to separate groung of iPod and ground of radio.

Sound quality was perfect.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:13 AM   #436
pyrocrickett

My Ride: 2004 330i ZHP
Lightbulb Use a CD Drive Audio Cable

Having made two different aux cables about three times each (changing plug ends, with & without capacitors & resistors, etc.) & having no problems with either, I feel confident that any static, bass, or sound quality problems has to be from the construction, esp. ensuring a good ground & shielding/isolation. I didn't use any special thick, high-end audio cables, just a generic brand 1/8" stereo extension cable & a spare CD drive audio cable I had lying around (exactly like this):

This pin size & spacing is fairly standard & widespread in many computer parts, especially for anything that connects to motherboard header pins; e.g. USB & FireWire ports, audio connectors (as above), front-panel buttons & LEDs, even IDE/PATA or floppy drive ribbon cables (hacked down to 5x2 or smaller, of course). In short, there are many computer connectors that have this pin size & spacing; our head unit's pins are a 5x2 array of this size.

I just pulled the pins out of the sockets, superglued the two 4x1 sockets together to make a 4x2 socket that fits perfectly onto the head unit's pins & reinserted the wires into the correct sockets. Chop off one end of both cables, solder it all together (ensure solid physical & electrical connections; test with a multimeter), heat-shrink each wire & the cable as a whole, & bada-bing you've got an aux-in cable.

As for the capacitors & resistor, I just used the same specs as the OEM cable: two 0.22 F (microfarad) capacitors & a 300k Ohm resistor (I used three 100k Ohm resistors in series). I have had zero problems with static, poor-quality sound, or high or low frequencies being noticeably clipped.

'04 ///ZHP sedan 6MT

Last edited by pyrocrickett; 09-21-2010 at 08:15 AM.
pyrocrickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 09:06 AM   #437
profor

Yeah these are okay too it is hard to buy the connectors to head unit. I did not find them on WDS.

by the way, original AUX retrofit is not shielded, it is just three cables twisted
Old 09-21-2010, 11:15 PM   #438
sicuesn

My Ride: BMW 323i
Did it in the cassette player..

First of all, thanks to all the guys that posted their problems.

I opened the radio and weld a cable one end directly to the cassette case, in the board that conects to the main board where it says Ground, L and R, and the other end with a 3.5 plug

The pin numbers are from left to right 3, 4 and 5

Please tell me if it is ok because it works..

and

Thanks
sicuesn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 01:28 AM   #439
profor

That is how it can be done, but better will be if You disconnect the cassete module output, it may, but also may not influence the sound.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:58 AM   #440
mystic_zhp

My Ride: 04 330i zhp
I knocked this out today, I had to pick up the connector at a local computer shop but I only paid a dollar for it. I have my wire running to the sun glass case right now but I have enough wire that I think I am going to look for somewhere else to mount it. My only question is this, with the the iphone connected I can use the volume on the steering wheel but I can't change songs from the steering wheel or via the head unit. Do you have to do in through the ipod every time?
mystic_zhp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bmw aux in, diy aux input, input cable