E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 53 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-08-2011, 08:43 PM   #461
bimmer3000

My Ride: BMW 323i
I tried installing a radio that came from june 2004 but the aux still didnt work. any help?
bimmer3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 02:18 PM   #462
kkamakasi

My Ride: M3
Where can I get something similar to this? I would like to get it at a retail location near me (New Orleans) instead of having to order it.

Old 03-10-2011, 02:33 PM   #463
pyrocrickett

My Ride: 2004 330i ZHP
Check with a local, privately owned computer repair shop; they usually have many misc. cables on hand that they don't mind letting go of for $0-$2. I got a couple optical drive digital audio cables just handed to me.

'04 ///ZHP sedan 6MT
pyrocrickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 04:26 PM   #464
kkamakasi

Well, just finished with mine! I tested it out on my bass guitar amp and it works like a charm!

I didn't want to have the male TRS connector at the end of the cable like the OP so I went the "OEM" route with the female piece.

Now all I need to do is find a discrete place to mount this thing and I'm all set!

Last edited by kkamakasi; 03-10-2011 at 04:46 PM.
kkamakasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 09:25 PM   #465
Budda9

My Ride: 2003 325i OrientBlue
First Mod on my 2003 325i - Pandora on the blackberry, YAY! A week later i put my 12's in the trunk, even more YAY!

Thanks for the excellent write up and diagrams.
Budda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 09:33 PM   #466
kkamakasi

Well, I just finished installing it into the car. Other than a small fit of rage, which resulted in a part getting broken (it's okay.. I mended it and spray-painted it to try to bring it back to its original form.. gonna have to re-spray with semi-gloss in the future), everything went A-O-K.

I love the discrete placement!

Old 03-15-2011, 02:26 PM   #467
Relaxxx000

My Ride: 2004 325i
Where can we buy the BMW cable from?
Relaxxx000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 02:31 PM   #468
sillieidiot

My Ride: '06 AW 330ci
Send a message via AIM to sillieidiot
from your local bmw dealer or tischer bmw.

Have a lighting problem? Read this first:
Lighting-related Troubleshooting Guide
sillieidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 08:22 PM   #469
florida2002m3

My Ride: 330 ZHP
My car was mfg 4-03. My radio's software says SV 09 03 40. I have been reading pages and pages of info.

Post production of 9/2002 car can run the aux input
Software 43+ can run Aux.

So my car is post 2002 but software is pre 43. Can i run the aux cable?

Im also reading that people need GLI to charge while listening. This makes sense, but i also see that people are constructing a high pass filter (caps) with a resistor (replica BMW cable). This also make sense that the caps will absorb the lower fq noise from the ground loop and bleed it into the resistor.

The high pass filter is much easier to DIY, is this the solution people are using for the ground loop? ( i skipped some of the 17 pages in this thread)

Last edited by florida2002m3; 04-07-2011 at 08:23 PM.
florida2002m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 04:04 AM   #470
jammykam

My Ride: 2003 330Ci Step Vert
You can also get the original BMW plug from the dealer, I bought these about 4 years ago now and the part numbers were:

B61 13 0 005 198 Contacts for Aux In plug 0.68 each (x3)
B61 13 6 931 929 Plug for Aux In 0.64 each (x1) Plug 3. Note: Part# has changed from realoem listing

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkamakasi View Post
Where can I get something similar to this? I would like to get it at a retail location near me (New Orleans) instead of having to order it.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:17 AM   #471
BlackJesus

My Ride: 03 Vert Tiag M3
I just finished mine, thanks OP awesome write up.

Old 04-14-2011, 05:49 AM   #472
DutchPlayer

My Ride: Bmw e46 328i
Hey Guys, I also want the Aux-in option and now looking for new BMW Business CD Radio from 10-2003 it's a VDO Siemens with a mode button and the connection on the back of the radio.

Will the aux-in cable work? Or does it only work on Alpine Business Radio's from 9/2002?

Last edited by DutchPlayer; 04-14-2011 at 05:54 AM.
DutchPlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 03:35 AM   #473
325itouring

My Ride: 325i Touring
Wanted to say thanks to all the previous posters, and share what I learned in getting mine to work.

First off what I did wrong:
1. 0.22uF is not the same as 220 pF - Doh! I bought the wrong capacitors twice
- 0.22uF = 220nF = 220000pF

2. I initially 'free soldered' - just wires and components soldered together in a very Heath Robinson manner as others have - but the connections failed for me (some would say just use more solder!)
- get a bit of strip board and solder properly

My HU:
Model: BMW RCD109-03 (says Business CD on front, has mode button)
SN: P1415xxxx
SV: 26-04 600 (makes sense, I have a 06-2004 E46)
RI: 1
GAL: 4
DSP: 0 V6
TP-V: 0

Components I used, some from www.maplin.co.uk :
a) 2 x 0.22uF capacitor - Maplin code RA50E
b) 1 x 300kOhm resistor - Maplin code M300K
c) 1 x 3 inch strip board - Maplin code JP46A
d) The unused CD Changer cable already in place at rear of HU - just cut the wires as far back as I could
e) 3.5mm jack/wire from old headphones, not a 3.5mm socket, this will run directly to my car phone holder

Tools: Soldering iron, solder, fine pliers

1. Work out which internal wires inside the jack cable correspond to ground (base contact), right (middle contact), and left (tip contact). I used a multimeter to discover that for my jack:
Ground: Green wire, one each for left and right sides (yours may only have a single ground wire shared between left and right)
Right: Red wire
Left: Copper/clear coated wire.

2. Rearrange the wires in the CD Changer connector by pushing in the barbed middle section of the contact to withdraw them (I chose these colour mappings for port and starboard - flames from audioheads welcome
Brown: pin 4
Blue: pin 8
Red: pin 9

3. Solder the wires and components, remember capacitors and resistors can be soldered either way. Solder the two ground wires together. My board:

4. If you have one, use a multimeter to check for connectivity (low resistance) between the board and jack, board and HU connector pins, and between the legs of each component and the board strips. You will see connectivity between jack ground (base connector) and pin 4 of the HU.
You will see very high resistance (>2MOhm) between the jack and HU left connectors, and the same for the right. You'll also see 300k Ohm between HU left and right pins 8 and 9.

5. I'm assuming you've read other posts about how to get at the rear of the HU so I won't repeat. However I haven't seen much on how to detach the large connector unit on the rear of the HU. It's in two parts, and the sides and top move upandoutwards in a small, stiff but quite cool movement. The rear cables don't move upwards during this, just slightly outwards from the HU. I broke the mechanism on mine so be gentle. If you haven't got enough reach from the cables behind to fiddle with the mechanism, pull cables gently but firmly, I got an extra 2 inches from mine.

6. To insert/remove the HU CD Changer connection (now your new AUX connector) pull on the blue locking slide on the right hand side:

There is a small tab on the bottom of the connector which is intended to stop you putting this connector in the AUX side of the main HU connector - snap it off

This is what it looks like with the the new AUX connector in place, just need to push the circuitry and other cable behind the HU and down towards the sunglass storage.

7. I put my 3.5mm jack to come out through the sunglass storage compartment. To remove this push up on the ceiling of the compartment and pull out - it really is that simple. I then used a 13mm drill bit to make a hole large enough to get the jack through:

And then I adjusted the length of jack wire coming out, jimmied the HU back in (you may need to move/rearrange circuit/cables/other wires back there, but it will all fit. Ending up with:

Next up: I need a nice cheap 3.5mm Earphone Jack Ground Loop Isolator so that I can charge the phone and play music at the same time!
With a lighter socket charger connected there is a very noticeable high pitch whine due to ground loop noise - not tolerable for any length of time.

Things I noticed along the way:
- no capacitors/resistor = no AUX mode on HU
- resistor only = no AUX mode on HU
- resistor and (incorrect!) 220pF capacitor = AUX mode but extremely quiet
- This HU (RCD109-03) does not have AUX LEVEL adjustment in the menus like other units are reported to have.
325itouring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 03:46 PM   #474
daewon774

My Ride: 2002 330xi
Anyone try using a iPhone/iPod USB cable to hook up to the rear of the head unit?

I'm a noob when it comes to electronics and wiring, but i had thought of something that I was looking for some help for. Everyone is using standard 3.5mm connectors to connect to their iPhone or iPod. What about the standard USB charging cables that come with our Apple products? What is the connection like on the USB side? If I were to cut one up, would I have access to 'left', 'right', 'ground', 'positive', and 'negative' wires? Also, on the head unit side, is there a pos/neg connection at the rear that I can connect to the pos/neg from a iPhone cable? That way I could possibly use a standard dock cable to stream my music AND charge the phone at the same time? Has anyone tried this?
daewon774 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 04:04 PM   #475
daewon774

Quote:
Originally Posted by daewon774 View Post
I'm a noob when it comes to electronics and wiring, but i had thought of something that I was looking for some help for. Everyone is using standard 3.5mm connectors to connect to their iPhone or iPod. What about the standard USB charging cables that come with our Apple products? What is the connection like on the USB side? If I were to cut one up, would I have access to 'left', 'right', 'ground', 'positive', and 'negative' wires? Also, on the head unit side, is there a pos/neg connection at the rear that I can connect to the pos/neg from a iPhone cable? That way I could possibly use a standard dock cable to stream my music AND charge the phone at the same time? Has anyone tried this?
NEVERMIND! Just found a great post by Daguzz

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...&postcount=383
Old 05-23-2011, 08:15 AM   #476
daewon774

Convert 12V to 5V???

Quote:
NEVERMIND! Just found a great post by Daguzz

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...&postcount=383
Does anyone know how I would be able to convert the 12V coming from the rear of the HU to 5V so that I could charge my iPhone using the dock cable?
Old 05-23-2011, 08:34 AM   #477
Arty

My Ride: 1999 328i
Quote:
Does anyone know how I would be able to convert the 12V coming from the rear of the HU to 5V so that I could charge my iPhone using the dock cable?
With a proper iPod car charger. The 12V is not regulated and is fairly dirty, as is the ground. Be aware that the charger must be grounded at the headunit to prevent ground loop issues.
Arty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 08:50 AM   #478
daewon774

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arty View Post
With a proper iPod car charger. The 12V is not regulated and is fairly dirty, as is the ground. Be aware that the charger must be grounded at the headunit to prevent ground loop issues.
Well I was thinking of using the USB -> iPhone Dock cable to hook up both audio and power for charging. If I were to use this cable, could I just use a 5V voltage regulator at the positive terminal to charge my phone? Sorry, noob to electronics...
Old 06-01-2011, 12:15 AM   #479
Yungjizzle1121

My Ride: 03 325xi
Hey quick question. How will I know that my HU offers aux? I have the BMW business in a 03 325xi? Thanks
Yungjizzle1121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 11:36 AM   #480
fuufuu

My Ride: 04 325i
did mine last week, I put it in the sunglass cub so i can just leave the wire in there to when i'm not using it finally roadtrips with good music
fuufuu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bmw aux in, diy aux input, input cable