E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 74 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-02-2011, 01:10 PM   #481
Yungjizzle1121

My Ride: 03 325xi
Does anyone know where I can get that black clip piece that plugs into the radio where the pins are. I don't have an old CPU to use and I've tried every store I can think of

Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp
Yungjizzle1121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 02:21 AM   #482
xecure

My Ride: 2002 325xi, 5MT Swap
so what is a possible solution for people with 09/02 or earlier radios?

** Too much for a sig - tim330i **

OMG LOOK AN E46!
xecure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 06:57 AM   #483
loffa

My Ride: 2001 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yungjizzle1121 View Post
Does anyone know where I can get that black clip piece that plugs into the radio where the pins are. I don't have an old CPU to use and I've tried every store I can think of

Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp
An IDE (PATA) HDD cable that is available at every computer store, will work as well. You just have to cut off the excess pins.

loffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 04:16 PM   #484
daewon774

My Ride: 2002 330xi
Works great, without cap and resistors!

I've been waiting to do this since I got my 2003 330xi a few weeks ago. Like everyone else I checked the manufacturing date on the HU and it seemed like I would be fine. I then checked my firmware and saw that "SV 14-03 40" came up on the screen. I know everyone says it should firmware 43+, but I went ahead and tried anyways.

My plan was to use the two caps and the resistor. Tried it, and I failed. Maybe it was my soldering skills, maybe I just didn't put it together right... I don't know. I took all that crap off and went without the caps and resistor. EVERYTHING WORKS OUT FINE. I'm running straight into my iPhone 4 and have no background noise.

Kudos to everyone on this thread for giving us this great DIY.
daewon774 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 07:35 PM   #485
F0iL

My Ride: AW 03' 325i
Wow! I just did this after 8 years of owning my car and its by far my favorite diy! For those of you still using fm trasmitters, stop now! Do this ASAP its simple and very very effective! Thanks again for this simple diy.
F0iL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 03:56 AM   #486
peter.210

My Ride: 318i 2001
ok ive read majority of the thread and worked out my business cd is not compatible due it being made in 2001. what are the other options apart from replacing the head unit.

i know this is available:
http://gromaudio.com/store/aux_adapt...nterface_.html

but are there any other alternatives???
thanks
Old 07-26-2011, 02:52 PM   #487
yusufm786

My Ride: 318i
I did this mod and it's great - probably the cheapest functional mod out there. Made my cable using an old USB cable (for the shielding). Used the individual pin connectors on the one end from an old computers HDD and power light connections. on the other end used a panel mount 3.5mm stereo socket. Pic attached. Notice 1) my like-new console i thought while it's out, i may as well recondition it, so i sanded it down and sprayed a few coats of Rustoleum camouflage black - looks almost 100% OEM; and 2) the orange glow - i figured there's no point in having an aux socket if you cant find it. so at the opposite end, hidden under the draw is an orange LED the same colour as the OEM lighting, which powers on when the car's light are on. This not only lights up the socket, but all the items in the storage compartment as well, and it looks great. you can't really see the effect in the photo, because it was taken in the daytime. Overall, a very OEM look.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20110712_160203.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	410651  
yusufm786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:03 PM   #488
vitalik-seattle

My Ride: 2004 M3
What if I got a gps instead of the cd player in the dash... and when you open the gps monitor i got a cassete player and I do have the mode button.. Mine is 2002 325i
vitalik-seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 11:02 PM   #489
saladin

My Ride: 2004 325ci
thanks a lot! got this worked out!
saladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 05:03 AM   #490
planetibo

My Ride: Z4 E85 3.0i 2003
Hello!
I have a Z4 E85 2003

I make my own cable TO: 1 resistors + 2 capacitors 0.22.
I compared a music on CD, and auxiliary input: Sound through the AUX lack of bass...

I wanted to like this cable: http://www.diymybmw.com/e46/aux-input-cable/

I have test without resitors and without capacitors: No AUX...
I have test with resitors and without capacitors: Aux appears, but, when i plug the iphone, I hear the sound half a second and AUX disappears.
I'm surprised because you does not use capacitors.
The sound is better without capacitors, more bass!
Why doesnt work with my Z4 '03??

Other Things:
I'm using a dock cable to USB + AUX. (By the way I have a ground loop problem, but that's another topic, I have to buy a Ground Loop Isolator ).

I discovered something yesterday I plugged the USB on the cigarette lighter, and to take, I'm the only right and left contact, not the ground of the Aux Cable, and voilą: the sound was much better ! The very powerful bass.
Cut the ground of the AUX cable is another solution?

Last edited by planetibo; 07-29-2011 at 05:05 AM.
planetibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 06:33 PM   #491
Javaldes

My Ride: 2003 330xi
AUX Quesiton

Is there any other connector I could use if i don't have the computer cable you used? If you could provide a part number from radio shack it would be greatly appreciated
Javaldes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 08:43 PM   #492
florida2002m3

My Ride: 330 ZHP
The caps are work as high pass filters when in series. They absorb the lower frienquencies, just like a bass blocker. It also absorbs the electric noise created by the ground loop. The resistor is there to give resistance to the head. It also disipates the energy from the caps.
florida2002m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 08:54 PM   #493
DSeyf

My Ride: b6s4
Recently did this, however it was really quiet. You can changed the gain of the AUX by going through the bass and treble controls at the very end. It goes form 1-6. Really increased the volume and made me enjoy this mod much more.

not sure if mentioned but doesn't hurt to do it again.
Old 08-16-2011, 02:33 AM   #494
luc

My Ride: '04 325i
wow.. man this mod is so good. about an hour from random extra pc cables to listening to my ipod in my car. thanks so much youre a boss for sure.

one thing.. my car didnt seem to like it when i plugged in my charger too. it just switched the audio over to radio and wouldnt recognize my aux again until i restarted the car.
3 pedals, ZSP, ZPP | bimmerbrakes headers | shark injector | AFE filter / swiss cheese | 17" TRMotorsports C2 | H&R suspension | CF sunroof delete | custom short shifter | clear lights | CDV delete | DIY aux audio in | lots of random $5 mods
gamertag: babyDriver29
luc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 12:34 PM   #495
luc

My Ride: '04 325i

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Bimmer App
3 pedals, ZSP, ZPP | bimmerbrakes headers | shark injector | AFE filter / swiss cheese | 17" TRMotorsports C2 | H&R suspension | CF sunroof delete | custom short shifter | clear lights | CDV delete | DIY aux audio in | lots of random $5 mods
gamertag: babyDriver29
luc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 08:57 PM   #496
jjewett

My Ride: 2005 Z4 3.0i
Hi all, great thread here, I'm jumping in late but I have a very similar experience to what Planetibo mentions a few posts above. I have a 2005 Z4 with the OEM Aux In cable connected to an 1/4" to iPhone dock connection. I experienced the same lack of bass response noted by many others and tried removing the circuit board from the OEM Aux cable which contains the 2 capacitors and 1 resistor, however the AUX option wouldn't appear on the head unit. I added a 300k resistor between the left/right wires (still no capacitors) and the AUX option appears, but disappears as soon as I connect the iPhone.

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks!
jjewett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 09:06 PM   #497
DSeyf

Why can you not charge and play?
Old 08-19-2011, 09:35 AM   #498
Robbski

My Ride: 2005 ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSeyf View Post
Why can you not charge and play?
The connections just carry signal not juice.

Older ipods can connect through the dock to to the aux connection if it is wired with a female connector (like the oem) but it still won't charge. If the newly wired aux connection has a male connection then it has to go into the earphone jack ipod or phone.

Newer ipods and iphones won't work with a dock to aux wire unfortunately. have to go earphone to aux. Shame because the quality is far superior with this method of connection.
Robbski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 09:37 AM   #499
DSeyf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbski View Post
The connections just carry signal not juice.

Older ipods can connect through the dock to to the aux connection if it is wired with a female connector (like the oem) but it still won't charge. If the newly wired aux connection has a male connection then it has to go into the earphone jack ipod or phone.

Newer ipods and iphones won't work with a dock to aux wire unfortunately. have to go earphone to aux. Shame because the quality is far superior with this method of connection.
There's got to be a way to make it work with the newer iPods.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:40 AM   #500
Robbski

My Ride: 2005 ZHP
Hey if you find out let me know. I spent more than a little time fooling with mine. From what I can find out on the intraweb its a software thing on the newer ipods and phones.
Robbski is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bmw aux in, diy aux input, input cable