E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 63 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-27-2011, 11:42 AM   #501
Donatas23
Account Under Review

My Ride: E46 330
Hi, I've tried to make a cable using this thread, but it doesn't work. I have a headunit, that is produced 2004 May. It has MODE button, so I think it must be AUX capable. I connected 3 wires to 4, 8 and 9 pins on the back of HU. I connected my iphone, but when I'm pressing MODE button, I don't see AUX, just Radio and CD. Any ideas what could be wrong? Thank You guys, waiting for your answer. BTW, my car is equiped with Radio only, no CD changer.

Last edited by Donatas23; 08-27-2011 at 11:45 AM.
Donatas23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 10:41 PM   #502
Andy2108

My Ride: E46 M3, '67 Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donatas23 View Post
Hi, I've tried to make a cable using this thread, but it doesn't work. I have a headunit, that is produced 2004 May. It has MODE button, so I think it must be AUX capable. I connected 3 wires to 4, 8 and 9 pins on the back of HU. I connected my iphone, but when I'm pressing MODE button, I don't see AUX, just Radio and CD. Any ideas what could be wrong? Thank You guys, waiting for your answer. BTW, my car is equiped with Radio only, no CD changer.
start playing a song with the iphone and try again

De gustibus non est disputandum.
Andy2108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 03:10 AM   #503
Donatas23
Account Under Review

Hi, Andy, thank You for your response. I've tried to start playing music on my iphone, but I still can't get AUX mode. what else could be wrong? What should I look for? I checked my SV and it is 60. maybe I should try to connect another audio source, for example a laptop?
Old 08-29-2011, 02:48 AM   #504
yusufm786

My Ride: 318i
Quote:
Did you use the capacitors and resistor? Mine did the same thing until I did that, and now it shows AUX even with no device connected.
yusufm786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 11:59 AM   #505
Donatas23
Account Under Review

Hi, no I made it without capacitors and resistor. Tomorrow I'm going to buy these thing and I'll try again with capacitors and resistor. How about your sound level with capacitors and resistor? Isn't it quitier than CD?
Old 08-29-2011, 03:30 PM   #506
yusufm786

My Ride: 318i
Quote:
Hi, no I made it without capacitors and resistor. Tomorrow I'm going to buy these thing and I'll try again with capacitors and resistor. How about your sound level with capacitors and resistor? Isn't it quitier than CD?
The sound level is ok I think - i haven't noticed it being any quieter. I do have a suspicion that the bass is lower, but i haven't used it much so I can't say for sure - it's not bad though. Definitely better than using a FM transmitter.
yusufm786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 09:19 PM   #507
akshayhemmady

My Ride: E46 320d
Hi guys i have a similar problem like donatas23. i have actually read the whole forum bt still a bit confused. I will give you the spec of my BMW business CD stereo
SN P1419342
SV 27-04 600
RI 01
GAL 1 min

I have attached a photo of the wire i made... it has a 3.5 aux thing at one end and 3 wires which go into the BMW HU at the other end. These wires are RED, WHITE and BLACK. So which is Left/right and Ground?? I tried interchanging all wires in slots 4,8 and 9. but still cant seem to get it work... i tried playing song on my blackberry after connecting but still no luck any ideas on what could be the problem. At the back of my HU i have 2 slots one is already filled up for CD or smthn and other is the aux one. however when i remove the cable next to the aux pins on the HU the cd still seems to work.. so is it possible to try this by putting the 3 wires into one of the slots on the CD side at d back of HU or will it only work in the AUX part.. thanks a lot.. n plz help me asap

btw i do not have a cd changer jus an FM and CD player.. whever i try connecting and pressing mode.. it jus shows CD and FM

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...090300098.jpg/

Last edited by akshayhemmady; 09-02-2011 at 09:22 PM.
akshayhemmady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 09:21 PM   #508
akshayhemmady

My Ride: E46 320d
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...090300098.jpg/

this is the pic of my wire
akshayhemmady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:36 AM   #509
Imperatorz

My Ride: 320i
Lightbulb

I had this cable made in an electrical store next to my workplace for a whopping $2.

Question is, will this work on my set?

I'm driving a 2004 E46 320i. What confuses me is that i've seen posts saying that this cannot be done on a HU with a cassette. And all the pics i've seen so far are people doing it on CD HUs.

I have a business HU with a cassette piece, will it work?

I can't try it out now cos my car is under servicing for a week, im just anxious to know the answer!

I've attached a pic of my HU as well for this to be clearer.

Also, is removing an auto gear cover the same as on the manual ones?

Please bros, anyone who can gimme a yes or no? Thanks!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1151.JPG
Views:	186
Size:	177.0 KB
ID:	416876   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.JPG
Views:	329
Size:	323.2 KB
ID:	416877  
Imperatorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:47 AM   #510
bmwmen

My Ride: E46 323Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperatorz View Post
I had this cable made in an electrical store next to my workplace for a whopping $2.

Question is, will this work on my set?

I'm driving a 2004 E46 320i. What confuses me is that i've seen posts saying that this cannot be done on a HU with a cassette. And all the pics i've seen so far are people doing it on CD HUs.

I have a business HU with a cassette piece, will it work?

I can't try it out now cos my car is under servicing for a week, im just anxious to know the answer!

I've attached a pic of my HU as well for this to be clearer.

Also, is removing an auto gear cover the same as on the manual ones?

Please bros, anyone who can gimme a yes or no? Thanks!!
Won't work. Cassette models are just to old.
bmwmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:59 AM   #511
Imperatorz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vehano View Post
For those of you with older HU's Cassette player , the following might work and keeps CD Changer functionality..
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=239069

I have seen a similar mod in the 5, 7 series even those with navigation, so it should work in theory on e46 radios with cassette players in the front

guess you just have to be handy with a soldering iron! good luck.

i have not tried this just thought i'd add it here so long!

Thanks for the reply.

According to this link, if i'm willing to sacrifice the cd changer in the trunk, i can use the ports for my aux connection.

Please tell me if my understanding is wrong.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:23 PM   #512
///M3 Wizard

My Ride: 2002 M3
I did this today. Tested and works like a champ. I was also able to find a mount that tucks behind the interior trim perfectly.

I will complete the mount tomorrow and post a pic or two of the finish.
///M3 Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 10:47 PM   #513
Imperatorz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M3 Wizard View Post
I did this today. Tested and works like a champ. I was also able to find a mount that tucks behind the interior trim perfectly.

I will complete the mount tomorrow and post a pic or two of the finish.
yours is business cd?
Old 09-15-2011, 11:50 PM   #514
///M3 Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperatorz View Post
yours is business cd?
It is. Even though the production date on my HU is prior to what was mentioned here the SV checked out. Tested and it sounds awesome!
Old 09-16-2011, 12:45 PM   #515
curt2199

My Ride: 05 BMW 325i
I tried this today on my 05 325i with business cd using the tutorial with the caps and resistor and it didn't work. However I have a couple differences. I couldn't find a 300k ohm resistor around so I soldered 2x 150k ohm resistors in series between the 2 positives and used 2 x 0.22uf capacitors, one on each positive.

Not sure what else could be the problem unless the resistors in series are causing a problem. I had no aux while plugged into my iphone, double-checked wiring and connections and everything is good.
curt2199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 08:40 PM   #516
///M3 Wizard

Here's the pics I promised.

You can see the iPod mount just to the right of the sun-glass compartment. It's a universal mounting bracket that came with several gadget specific accessories. Including a jacket for my Gen2 iPod. The supplied jacket just slides into the bracket. In addition, I didn't drill any holes mounting it. I merely disassembled the ash tray/sun-glass section, held the bracket where I wanted it to be and reassembled. The tension from reinstalling is more than enough to keep it secure.

When I'm not using the input, I just tuck the cord in along the pass. side. Between the carpet and center console.

Only thing I think there is left to do is adjust the input level. Even though it sounds amazing and cranks, the level is still quieter than in all the other modes. I just want to balance it out so that when I change the mode out of AUX, it doesn't blow anything (inc. my ears).

Input lever adjusted to the same volume as all other modes. 100% satisfied!

Last edited by ///M3 Wizard; 09-16-2011 at 11:03 PM. Reason: input lvl update
Old 09-25-2011, 09:38 PM   #517
maze416

My Ride: 2004 325ci
Quote:
its pin 3, 4 and 9
maze416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 09:48 PM   #518
maze416

My Ride: 2004 325ci
i'm trying to do the same for my friends 2005 E83 X3 and its not working, aux shows up on the display for a few seconds than it goes away, its basically the same bussiness Head Unit and the fact that it pops up and plays for a few seconds and stops is really pissing me off.
any ideas????
maze416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 09:57 PM   #519
Andy2108

My Ride: E46 M3, '67 Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by maze416 View Post
i'm trying to do the same for my friends 2005 E83 X3 and its not working, aux shows up on the display for a few seconds than it goes away, its basically the same bussiness Head Unit and the fact that it pops up and plays for a few seconds and stops is really pissing me off.
any ideas????
did you use the capacitors and whatever else this thread calls for?

De gustibus non est disputandum.
Andy2108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 12:58 AM   #520
Gomez_andres

My Ride: 2003 330i ZSP
great thread, very helpful and saved me money which is the best part. good looks
Gomez_andres is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bmw aux in, diy aux input, input cable