E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 74 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-28-2011, 12:46 PM   #521
s!ke

My Ride: '04 ZHP
I built this... time to install it!

Miss my baby ^^
s!ke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 11:16 PM   #522
EnDLeSs_27

My Ride: 325ci
For people who are interested in a cable that fits on the back of the radio. Just buy a 2 pin audio cable for the PC.

I bought this one from amazon http://amzn.com/B0028AZ0R8

It is the perfect connector. Than all you have to do is connect the other end to your aux cable.
EnDLeSs_27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 11:43 PM   #523
///M3 Wizard

My Ride: 2002 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by endless_27 View Post
for people who are interested in a cable that fits on the back of the radio. Just buy a 2 pin audio cable for the pc.

I bought this one from amazon http://amzn.com/b0028az0r8

it is the perfect connector. Than all you have to do is connect the other end to your aux cable.
+1
Old 10-03-2011, 10:02 PM   #524
trj

My Ride: 325Ci
Hi guys, I went through almost 30 pages of this DIY, couldnt find the answer.
I bought a used car, havent taken out the headunit to check the hardware.

The car is 2001 325ci
The Software version is SV 07-04-43

I have some other things I have in mind to do with the glovebox, so I wanted to be sure and tackle everything at the same time.

Thanks
trj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 12:32 AM   #525
EnDLeSs_27

Quote:
Originally Posted by trj View Post
Hi guys, I went through almost 30 pages of this DIY, couldnt find the answer.
I bought a used car, havent taken out the headunit to check the hardware.

The car is 2001 325ci
The Software version is SV 07-04-43

I have some other things I have in mind to do with the glovebox, so I wanted to be sure and tackle everything at the same time.

Thanks
Not going to work on that radio. The aux is compatible for 03+ head units. Anything older wont work. At least not with this DIY.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:48 PM   #526
trj

Out of curiosity and impatience, I went to check the radio. Lucky me, the radio has a built date of 2004.
Got all the cables, and the made a make shift cable just to test if it works.
For the life of me I couldnt get the harness out of the radio.
I did pull the little lock tab with a screwdriver and it went up, but the harness I couldnt take out.
There is another cable attached to the CD changer port(dont see the CD changer in the trunk though), which I was not able to pull out. The cable is angled metal connector, connected in such a way that it blocks the access to the AUX/external port in every possible way.
I tried to pry it up with flathead screwdriver, in the process I chipped out many pieces of plastic around the harness and still not able to take that cable out.

So close yet so far. I have the cable made, got the right radio, can see the port, but cant connect.

Any tricks to get that CD changer cable out?
Old 10-06-2011, 12:14 AM   #527
EnDLeSs_27

Quote:
Originally Posted by trj View Post
Out of curiosity and impatience, I went to check the radio. Lucky me, the radio has a built date of 2004.
Got all the cables, and the made a make shift cable just to test if it works.
For the life of me I couldnt get the harness out of the radio.
I did pull the little lock tab with a screwdriver and it went up, but the harness I couldnt take out.
There is another cable attached to the CD changer port(dont see the CD changer in the trunk though), which I was not able to pull out. The cable is angled metal connector, connected in such a way that it blocks the access to the AUX/external port in every possible way.
I tried to pry it up with flathead screwdriver, in the process I chipped out many pieces of plastic around the harness and still not able to take that cable out.

So close yet so far. I have the cable made, got the right radio, can see the port, but cant connect.

Any tricks to get that CD changer cable out?
You dont need to completely get that cable out. Just wiggle your aux cable in through the hole and connect it. Then reconnect the harness to the radio. Keep trying you'll get it.
Old 10-08-2011, 06:44 PM   #528
trj

Done and working.
Thanks everyone.
Now just need to decide where to get that aux port out from.
Old 10-10-2011, 03:05 PM   #529
Tintorera

My Ride: 330iM Euro spec
Quote:
Originally Posted by maze416 View Post
its pin 3, 4 and 9
are the pins different on different hu's? it says 8, 9 and 4 in the earlier posts..

mine isnt working either, I have a SV 04-04-78 connected with the capacitors (0.22uF) and resistor (300kOhm) as described earlier on pin 4, 8 and 9, yet the AUX doesnt show up despite having the ipod connected and playing.

i think that the headunit is called BE6525 (edit; CD54) and it looks like this one:

and this is how I soldered and connected the cable:

Last edited by Tintorera; 10-11-2011 at 05:07 PM.
Tintorera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 06:54 PM   #530
EnDLeSs_27

Looks like you have a different HU. Most likely European model HU. The pins listed were for BMW Business CD HU. CD53

You have a Business Professional HU. Which I think may be the UK version. If it is. Try doing everything in reverse (pins) seeing as how those brits drive on the wrong side of the road.

Last edited by EnDLeSs_27; 10-11-2011 at 06:59 PM.
Old 10-12-2011, 06:40 AM   #531
Tintorera

My Ride: 330iM Euro spec
Oh that explains it

anyone have any idea where I can find the pin layout of my HU? as mentioned it's a CD54 and it seems to be manufactured by a company called Becker
Old 11-02-2011, 08:14 PM   #532
blevrie

My Ride: e46 m3
Nice write up, music and phone calls are nice and clear. Thnx agian.
blevrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 09:42 AM   #533
325i'02

My Ride: 2002 325i
Ok i got the exact same cables from my old pc and an audio cable. Hooked all parts together, plugged into 8 9 and 4 and no AUX option comes up after i plug in the player. Mine is 02 but born in february. Could that be the problem? I just wanna make the droid hook up o the speakers. Thanks in advance for any help
325i'02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 09:48 AM   #534
325i'02

My Ride: 2002 325i
Ah
nvmd found the birthdate of the radio-020201;( thanks though
325i'02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 08:07 PM   #535
TR4G-

My Ride: '01 325xi
.....i read through half of this thread, and I cannot find where to find the build date..... I have my radio out of my car and have looked at all of the stickers and there are no build dates........................
Old 11-25-2011, 07:02 PM   #536
DanielJames

My Ride: Estoril 320d Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tintorera View Post
Oh that explains it

anyone have any idea where I can find the pin layout of my HU? as mentioned it's a CD54 and it seems to be manufactured by a company called Becker
I found this but I'm also struggling I'm in the UK and can't get it to show aux
B
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1322269302.603617.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	426554  
Old 11-26-2011, 01:13 AM   #537
NSF e46

My Ride: 2003 325i
wow after a couple of hours of reading all 27 pages i have some questions. if i get the bmw part 82110149389 only advantage is radio will display AUX even when ipod is not hooked up right?

also will this cable above work with iphone4?

either way there is no charging capabilities right?

awesome right up !!!!!!!
NSF e46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 12:11 PM   #538
DanielJames

My Ride: Estoril 320d Sport
Ok I've given up on this now, I guess UK cars can't get this.

I have a 10-03 build date, SW version 43 etc. Connected the pins all well (no resistors) but plugged in the ipod and pressed play. No joy!

Made 2 different cables and tested them with a multimeter to make sure the connection goes all the way through.

Oh well
Old 12-03-2011, 07:06 AM   #539
M127

My Ride: 2002 M3 Coupe/CB/6MT
Sorry to jump the thread, but does anyone have the Audio diagram for the 2001 BMW M3 Navigation HU w/ tape deck? I've seen the other audio pin diagrams from the business cd on this thread. Thought maybe it was available.

Thanks much!
M127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 02:12 PM   #540
trj

Got some questions: Want to take this mod a step further and cleaner

Ok, I am thinking to take this a mod a bit further and need some advice/suggestions.

I followed this DIY and made a simple aux in jack about a month ago. The cable comes loose sometimes and I just have to take the radio out and push it in again. Not a biggiee but still annoying sometimes.

Right now, I have a female Aux in port drilled inside the sunglass holder and I plug my iPhone with male to male 3.5mm retractable cable. This keeps my console clean and I put the cable back in when not in use.
I use tomtom GPS app and play music through the head phone out of my iPhone 3GS. We all know how much battery it hogs when you use the GPS app.

I do not want to use my cigar lighter as the power source. I want to keep a clean look and want all the doors to be closed while driving. Including the driver's, passenger's door, glove box, cigar lighter, sunglass holder, etc etc.
Also I smoke, so I will need the cigar lighter incase my zippo runs out of fuel or I dont have a lighter on me (Happens many times)

My Plan:
I want to have only one cable coming out of the sun glass holder to charge and function as aux cable for my iPhone 3gs. Planning to buy 4S, so I would like it to be compatible with that too. But not a big deal till I buy it.
I put my iPhone resting on the closed ashtray while using GPS. Already have an idea to make a small(stealthy) mount that will hold the phone in place and not make it look a hack job. More on that later.

Two ways to attack the plan:

1. Connect the audio cable to the female aux jack that is already present, and make another hole for female USB port to charge iPhone or whatever USB powered device I may use later. Keep that cable inside the sunglass holder and plug in the iPhone only when necessary. (the cable is long so keep it zip tied inside the sun-glass holder). I like the cable just long enough to reach the reach the ashtray door so I can rest the iPhone on the asthray and tuck the cable in the holder when not in use, along with my sun glasses. In other words, I would like to have as much space in that sun-glass holder cubby as possible.

2. Get rid of the female aux in jack in the sunglass holder and only bring the iPhone dock connector out of that door with all the connections done behind the sun glass holder eliminating the port for USB. I might just cut the dock cable and connect the cables directly to aux and power source if I go this route.

I bought a cable just now on ebay that comes with a dock connector and splits into male aux and USB male. I bought black cable, I didnt want white cable as it would not be very good looking with all black console, so I got 60 cents more expensive black one lol.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/180672131499...84.m1439.l2649

I saw a post in the forum where someone retrofitted USB power outlets to the cup holders, I plan to follow that and get a power source to charge the iPhone. If you guys have any other suggestions, please advice.

Also from what I understand to get the charging functionality working with aux I will need to do the following:

1/4W resistor across right and left channels.
0.22microFarad Cap in series with ground cable.
0.22microFarad Cap in series with left or right channel.

Does any one has a simple circuit diagram if I am wrong on the above connections.

Where can I get these resistors and caps, locally? radioshack?
I would like to purchase locally, I hate waiting for the shipment and most of the shops have minimum purchase requirements. I dont want to end up with loads of resistors which I will never use.(I already have bunch of red and amber LED's which I purchased from digikey to repair my EE tail light, and ended up using only 5).

Thanks for looking

Tags
bmw aux in, diy aux input, input cable