E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 29 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-10-2011, 02:21 PM   #541
trj

My Ride: 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSF e46 View Post
wow after a couple of hours of reading all 27 pages i have some questions. if i get the bmw part 82110149389 only advantage is radio will display AUX even when ipod is not hooked up right?

also will this cable above work with iphone4?

either way there is no charging capabilities right?

awesome right up !!!!!!!
Got an idea on the charging and aux cable for iPhone. Have read it somewhere who has already done it but its not detailed. Working on it right now, will post a detailed DIY after I get the parts and get it done. Read my post above and give me some ideas.
Old 12-10-2011, 02:57 PM   #542
Tintorera

My Ride: 330iM Euro spec
Quote:
Originally Posted by trj View Post

1/4W resistor across right and left channels.
0.22microFarad Cap in series with ground cable.
0.22microFarad Cap in series with left or right channel.
these are only used to make "AUX" show up in the mode selection on some HU's
Old 12-10-2011, 03:15 PM   #543
trj

hmm, I thought it was got removing the ground loop as well while charging the iphone and playing music via aux at the same time. Thanks for pointing that out man.

What would I have to add to remove the ground loop? I read through the posts, but it only confused me more.
I would like to get all the parts and then have a go at it all at once.
I will be free after next week, so I would like to get the parts that would be required by then.
Old 12-14-2011, 03:52 PM   #544
InterlagosBlau

My Ride: 2001 325Ci
will this work on a bmw business player manufactured in feb. 2002?
Old 12-14-2011, 04:18 PM   #545
Andy2108

My Ride: E46 M3, '67 Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterlagosBlau View Post
will this work on a bmw business player manufactured in feb. 2002?
See post number 5.
Andy2108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 05:30 PM   #546
InterlagosBlau

My Ride: 2001 325Ci
What is the difference?

February 2002 manufacture

http://www.ebay.com/itm/320802705232...#ht_521wt_1185

Has mode button, and what looks like two aux inputs (see the rear pic)

December 2003 manufacture date
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...mw+business+cd Pictured below

I can't see one, maybe its internal in the computer or something. If there is a difference is there a BMW adapter for me to put an aux cable AND bluetooth for the pre 09/2002 units? Link?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	00.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	428929  

Last edited by InterlagosBlau; 12-14-2011 at 09:01 PM.
InterlagosBlau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 09:42 AM   #547
B7@ckBe@uty

My Ride: 03 325XI blk on blk
For those of us out there with questions still, I just built the cable and can elaborate VIA pm if needed. To clarify the caps let you use your cigarette lighter to charge while playing through the cable, the resistor tricks the input into seeing something when nothing is playing. The resistor is not needed but keeps the radio on Aux if you get a call and need to unplug your phone. The caps are also not needed but its nice to be able to charge your phone while playing music. I mounted the aux female plug in my cigarette tray. I don't smoke and it fit well.
B7@ckBe@uty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 11:39 PM   #548
trj

Aight, made a cable with a iPod/iPhone cable to charge and use the line level output at the same time.
I already had the aux mod done, but I just added the caps and resistor and latched on the same cables for Right, Left and ground from the iPod/iPhone connector.
So now I have female aux-in port in my sun glass holder to use if I choose to use any other mp3 player than my iPod or iPhone.

Now here is the problem, I am getting a lot of static after I connected the caps and resistor. And the volume is very low and only one channel is giving sound.
I rechecked the connection, and everything is fine.
Also I am not charging the iPod while trying this step.
I did use correct caps and resistors.

Anyone have any clue?
Old 12-26-2011, 02:00 PM   #549
E46er75

My Ride: 323i Vert, 330xi
I understand all the steps and have all parts with the exception of the AUX cable, I cant seem to find a 2/3 wire cable? All the cables that i have and seen are standard headphone cables. Those cable are 1 wire encased in plastic and then shielded. Where can I find a cable? I have many cables but all are then same single wire??? If there is a different description of this wire let me know. Thanks.
E46er75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 02:08 PM   #550
engtariq

My Ride: 2001 325i
I will do it over the weekend, thanks
engtariq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 04:14 PM   #551
E46er75

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46er75 View Post
I understand all the steps and have all parts with the exception of the AUX cable, I cant seem to find a 2/3 wire cable? All the cables that i have and seen are standard headphone cables. Those cable are 1 wire encased in plastic and then shielded. Where can I find a cable? I have many cables but all are then same single wire??? If there is a different description of this wire let me know. Thanks.
Ok, Nevermind I got it

I do have an issue but not sure if it is normal or to be expected:

When I hook up the car charger to my Iphone 4s, it instantly doesnt recognize the aux port and its connection? I'm scrolling through the past replies in this forum and couldnt find anything on this issue?? If I missed something let me know.

Great write up! Thanks
Old 12-26-2011, 06:06 PM   #552
B7@ckBe@uty

[QUOTE=E46er75;13923122]Ok, Nevermind I got it

I do have an issue but not sure if it is normal or to be expected:

When I hook up the car charger to my Iphone 4s, it instantly doesnt recognize the aux port and its connection? I'm scrolling through the past replies in this forum and couldnt find anything on this issue?? If I missed something let me know.

Great write up! Thanks [/QUOTE

Do you have power hooked up to the Iphone from the car?? If so and the blocking caps aren't correctly it will shut down the AUX port in order to prevent any damage to the stereo.
Old 12-27-2011, 07:40 PM   #553
E46er75

Yes I have my iphone charger plugged into the lighter.. Sorry if I sound stupid here but what are "blocking caps" and how would i prevent this?
Old 12-28-2011, 10:53 PM   #554
B7@ckBe@uty

Blocking capacitors are the caps in the diagrams of the aux cable in previous pages. They stop dc voltage from passing through the link.

Sent from my PG86100 using Bimmer
Old 01-03-2012, 12:47 AM   #555
trj

Alright all done and highly satisfied now.
The female aux port I placed in the sunglass holder was giving me static, so I removed it and used a new female port, put it in the glove box. All works perfect.

Now single cable for iPhone/iPods:

I used the DIY mentioned in this thread with the caps and resistors for the aux and mounted the aux port in the glovebox.
Used a cigarette lighter to USB female adapter and connected the ports to the fuse box(switched 12V, I used fuse 5 which was empty with a 3 amp inline fuse) and ground.
Bought a standard iPhone cable which separates into 3.5mm audio and USB ports.
Now my cable sits inside the glovebox and only cable that comes out is the standard iPhone cable connected to the charging port which charges the iPhone as well as feeds the audio.
Wanted to hardwire this to the aux port but later decided to have a USB and aux ports in the glovebox so that I can use them for any other phone or mp3 players.

for iPhone or iPod users this works great because the sound quality from the docking port is many times better than the 3.5mm headphone port, almost CD quality.
I need to charge my iPhone all the time because I use tom tom GPS app which kills the battery in 30 mins.

Didn't take the pictures during the DIY but its the same DIY with an additional USB port. I will post the pictures of my glovebox and the cable tomorrow.

Keeps my ashtray free and closed, and I can use the ashtray for its intended purpose. No messy wiring in the console, only one cable out of the glovebox when required.
I suggest doing this mod for people with iPhone. Just the sound output is worth it.
Old 01-08-2012, 01:01 PM   #556
hurricanes52

My Ride: 2004 325ci
can someone link me or help with with installing the aux input somewhere near the center console? im looking to have it as close to me as possible and the glovebox is not convenient because i wont be able to reach over and change songs while driving. thank you
hurricanes52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 01:29 PM   #557
Andy2108

My Ride: E46 M3, '67 Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricanes52 View Post
can someone link me or help with with installing the aux input somewhere near the center console? im looking to have it as close to me as possible and the glovebox is not convenient because i wont be able to reach over and change songs while driving. thank you

I ran it down through the center council, past the shift leaver and then dropped it outin the space between the coucil and the passenger foot well carpet. I let maybe a little more than 1' come out, so I just place my phone in the cup holder.
Andy2108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 11:02 AM   #558
B7@ckBe@uty

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricanes52 View Post
I ran it down the center console to the ash tray. I don't smoke or let people smoke in my car so it has been a small waist of space. Its a good place for me as it hides when I close the tray cover.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:37 AM   #559
daveo78

My Ride: e46 320ci
Hello peeps. First post-hope you can help!

I made a cable from this DIY: http://sftf.wordpress.com/2010/02/21/e46diyaux/

Which in turn contains a link to the OEM docs for the E46 cable: http://www.ge39.com/files/EBADoc11512-auxin.pdf

This seems to contradict the above statement on this thread that the caps should go on the L *or* R plus the ground wire. BMW have the cap on the L and R wire but not ground. However when I do that I get problems:
I get music through aux channel for a bit (30-40 mins to start with) then a loud pop and the input cycles to the next one (radio). I can cycle back to aux but it then pops again after a few minutes... the time to next pop decreases until eventually the head unit stops letting me switch to aux input altogether, until I turn ignition on and off again.

Any ideas? Is my head-unit knackered?

Dave
daveo78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:56 AM   #560
B7@ckBe@uty

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveo78 View Post
Hello peeps. First post-hope you can help!

I made a cable from this DIY: http://sftf.wordpress.com/2010/02/21/e46diyaux/

Which in turn contains a link to the OEM docs for the E46 cable: http://www.ge39.com/files/EBADoc11512-auxin.pdf

This seems to contradict the above statement on this thread that the caps should go on the L *or* R plus the ground wire. BMW have the cap on the L and R wire but not ground. However when I do that I get problems:
I get music through aux channel for a bit (30-40 mins to start with) then a loud pop and the input cycles to the next one (radio). I can cycle back to aux but it then pops again after a few minutes... the time to next pop decreases until eventually the head unit stops letting me switch to aux input altogether, until I turn ignition on and off again.

Any ideas? Is my head-unit knackered?

Dave
I built the cable with the caps on the l and r, with the resistor between the radio and the caps. Recheck your cap characteristics and your resistor characteristics also make sure you don't have any exposed wire.

Tags
bmw aux in, diy aux input, input cable