E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 76 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-23-2012, 04:57 AM   #561
stemn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Estonia
Posts: 3
My Ride: E46 320d
Hi!

I have 09/2003 business cd with mode button and software is 510 shown in menu.
But if I put these wires as the DIY says my radio says right after power on "disabled" and AUX input does not work.

Is there any advice anybody??

Thanks
stemn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 06:28 AM   #562
florida2002m3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Melbourne, FL
Posts: 175
My Ride: 330 ZHP
I had to put in a resistor of higher value in order for mine to recognize the input.
florida2002m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 07:29 AM   #563
stemn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Estonia
Posts: 3
My Ride: E46 320d
What do you mean by higher value resistor?
I did it by the DIY:

1/4W resistor across right and left channels.
0.22microFarad Cap in series with ground cable.
0.22microFarad Cap in series with left or right channel.

So what should i change to what?
stemn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 07:50 AM   #564
florida2002m3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Melbourne, FL
Posts: 175
My Ride: 330 ZHP
I think i tried the 300Kohm resistor and it didnt work, so i then put in a 350Kohm and it recognized the input. I did it about a year ago so i could be off on the numbers. But i do remember i had to go up in resistance.
florida2002m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 12:20 PM   #565
trj
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Denver
Posts: 2,925
My Ride: 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by stemn View Post
What do you mean by higher value resistor?
I did it by the DIY:

1/4W resistor across right and left channels.
0.22microFarad Cap in series with ground cable.
0.22microFarad Cap in series with left or right channel.

So what should i change to what?
its 1/4 Watt 300~350Kohm resistor across L and R channel.
0.22 microFarad caps in series with L and R channel each.
Leave the ground alone.
__________________
trj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 12:25 PM   #566
florida2002m3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Melbourne, FL
Posts: 175
My Ride: 330 ZHP
I would increase to a 400Kohm resistor. I believe this is for two reasons. One to replicate the resistance of "BMW input/and or cable". Second is to absorb the noise from the ground loop, as this circuit acts as a high pass filter.
florida2002m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 01:16 AM   #567
stemn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Estonia
Posts: 3
My Ride: E46 320d
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida2002m3 View Post
I would increase to a 400Kohm resistor. I believe this is for two reasons. One to replicate the resistance of "BMW input/and or cable". Second is to absorb the noise from the ground loop, as this circuit acts as a high pass filter.
I have 300Kohm resistor and 0.22 microFarad caps in series with L and R channel each. Also there is nothing in ground. And I got it to work yesterday. The connection was bad. Thanks for great DIY!
stemn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 01:45 AM   #568
trj
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Denver
Posts: 2,925
My Ride: 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida2002m3 View Post
I would increase to a 400Kohm resistor. I believe this is for two reasons. One to replicate the resistance of "BMW input/and or cable". Second is to absorb the noise from the ground loop, as this circuit acts as a high pass filter.
350 should be ideal to make the radio think that there is load on the aux. +-50 should be fine.
mine is 300, i soldered 3 100Kohms in series. Couldn't find a single 300Kohm in local rdioshack.
__________________
trj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 07:37 PM   #569
Cheechman7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: SNJ/Philly
Posts: 15
My Ride: 2003 325xi
DIY success. Thanks for the guidance on wire selection!
Presently I have the cable running out of the back of the head unit (temporarily), I plan to run it under the center console and place a headphone jack in the rear seat cigarette lighter space. Anyone else place theirs there?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EF698F86-B78E-4A55-9A4F-7B6750853CDE.jpeg
Views:	1369
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	436643  

Last edited by Cheechman7; 02-11-2012 at 05:43 PM.
Cheechman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 11:11 PM   #570
E46723
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Orange, CA
Posts: 7
My Ride: 2003 BMW 325i
Ive read this thread like 5 times and i finally had the time this weekend to do it perfect instructions plus great pics !!! Thanks for saving me money!!!

Sent from my E46 using Bimmer App
__________________
[/SIGPIC]
E46723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:13 PM   #571
t.bird
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: New Haven, CT
Posts: 145
My Ride: '04 330i ZHP
This is absolutely driving me crazy. I revisited this today on my car and still no luck after initially trying it 6 months ago. I had a 300k resistor so after reading a few more recent posts in this thread, added a 100k resistor in series...but still no luck. My CD player is from '06, I have tried without caps and resistors, with both, with only caps, with only resistors, I have even soldered the wires directly to the pins on the back of the CD player thinking maybe I had a bad connection there....still aux does not show up on the CD player.

I give up!

I'm guessing my CD player is messed up.
__________________
t.bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:22 PM   #572
Many330i
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Little Elm, TX
Posts: 1,205
My Ride: 330i ZHP Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by t.bird View Post
This is absolutely driving me crazy. I revisited this today on my car and still no luck after initially trying it 6 months ago. I had a 300k resistor so after reading a few more recent posts in this thread, added a 100k resistor in series...but still no luck. My CD player is from '06, I have tried without caps and resistors, with both, with only caps, with only resistors, I have even soldered the wires directly to the pins on the back of the CD player thinking maybe I had a bad connection there....still aux does not show up on the CD player.

I give up!

I'm guessing my CD player is messed up.
You bought the radio used? Prolly it was refurbished and they buggered up the aux links.

Sell the radio and get another one...if aux is really important to you! Otherwise, go dice or usa-spec and route the aux wire from the trunk to wherever you want it. Th OEM aux though is much cleaner and better sound quality. Good luck.
Many330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 03:02 PM   #573
t.bird
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: New Haven, CT
Posts: 145
My Ride: '04 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Many330i View Post
You bought the radio used? Prolly it was refurbished and they buggered up the aux links.

Sell the radio and get another one...if aux is really important to you! Otherwise, go dice or usa-spec and route the aux wire from the trunk to wherever you want it. Th OEM aux though is much cleaner and better sound quality. Good luck.
I guess the previous owner changed it out at some point...
__________________
t.bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 02:05 PM   #574
ZkansasZ
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: texas
Posts: 685
My Ride: a horse
I just want to say THANK YOU
Using this DIY, I've completed my AUX cable wiring and all.
Costed me more than 10 bucks but it's worth a lot to me.
So,
THANKS!
__________________
02AccordV6(sold) 03350zMT(sold) 04E46///M3MT(sold) 06RSXauto 07G35auto
ZkansasZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:11 AM   #575
Crispy3M
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 12
My Ride: 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrocrickett View Post
0.22 uF is definitely the correct value for the caps, w/a 300k Ohm resistor. Make sure you have the resistor on the HU-side of the caps, too.
Has anyone else noticed that the BMW schematic shows .22F capacitors and NOT .22uF?

I stumbled onto this thread yesterday and read most of it but couldn't tell where the .22 Farad Cap got turned into a .22 Micro Farad Cap. I'm going to whip up a cable today but think I'll use the 220mF (.22F) caps as per the BMW schematic unless someone here knows different.

***Disregard*** 220mF Cap is pretty beefy... I used the .22uF and the Aux Input works great!

Cheers,

Chris

Last edited by Crispy3M; 02-08-2012 at 04:42 PM.
Crispy3M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:59 PM   #576
cobra989
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Glennville, GA
Posts: 49
My Ride: 2003 BMW 325ci
Stupid question I know im sorry... I looked at my door sill and it says that my build date was 09/02... I know from reading the posts that my factory head unit wont work with the aux in mod (bought mine from bavauto), but I am little confused because according to carfax my car wasnt registered until 09/03 in florida where it was first bought at. I looked at the software and it is the SW 43 that it needs to be. What is really odd is that when I plugged in my cable and went through the mode options aux flashed for literally a second then went away... Did I do something wrong? I am lost... My paperwork says that some cars need to have the aux option activated at the stealership so should I do that? Have I lost my mind? Thanks in advance for any help you all can provide!
cobra989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 01:45 PM   #577
eu teo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Livonia
Posts: 136
My Ride: 330xi
Im having issues, i have a 2002 e46 face lift sedan with the mode button stereo, i have done this aux cable and put the resistor and capacitor just like the diagrams above and flowed this dyi http://sftf.wordpress.com/2010/02/21/e46diyaux/
i installed the cable but it still dosent work, do i have to enable the aux feature on my unit in order to work? or it just dont work cuz its a 2002?
some one please help
thanks
eu teo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 06:09 PM   #578
Crispy3M
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 12
My Ride: 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra989 View Post
Stupid question I know im sorry... I looked at my door sill and it says that my build date was 09/02... I know from reading the posts that my factory head unit wont work with the aux in mod (bought mine from bavauto), but I am little confused because according to carfax my car wasnt registered until 09/03 in florida where it was first bought at. I looked at the software and it is the SW 43 that it needs to be. What is really odd is that when I plugged in my cable and went through the mode options aux flashed for literally a second then went away... Did I do something wrong? I am lost... My paperwork says that some cars need to have the aux option activated at the stealership so should I do that? Have I lost my mind? Thanks in advance for any help you all can provide!
From another thread...

From all the information available, radios built after 09/03 will work with this setup. Some 9/02 radios will have the mode button but AUX input won’t work.

Here’s an easy way to check:

1. Turn Radio Off.
2. Turn Radio On.
3. Press and hold the “m” button for about 10 seconds.
4. Press to navigate, you will need to go to the 2nd screen to look for the SW Verison which is in a SV xx-xx xx format.
5. To be Sirius/AUX or XM compatible, the radio must be SW 43 or higher.
6. Turn radio off to exit.

The MODE button is not a good enough indicator to check if a radio is AUX or Sirius compatible. It needs to be manufactured 09/02 or later.

Hope this is of some help.

Chris
Crispy3M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:48 PM   #579
eu teo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Livonia
Posts: 136
My Ride: 330xi
so if its 09/02 or earlier it will not work? not even with the oem cable?
eu teo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 12:17 AM   #580
ActionGoat
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Sugar Land, Texas
Posts: 6
My Ride: 330ci
Just tried it myself with a modified IDE cable and it works perfectly. One of my favorite DIYs so far. Thanks.
__________________

01 330i TiAg
01 330i Orient Blau
02 330ci Sapphire Black Metallic
ActionGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bmw aux in, diy aux input, input cable

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use