E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 30 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-22-2012, 10:46 AM   #601
trj
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Denver
Posts: 2,923
My Ride: 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielJames View Post
Going to have another go at this soon.

The last time I attempted, I made 2 cables and neither would enable the "Aux" on my 2003 E46. The SW etc was good, it just wouldn't enable the Aux mode.

Any tips?
You have to have something connected to the aux cable: iPod, mp3 player? if you do not have resistors installed. The port has to detect some resistance for the aux to pop up.

Once you have the aux source connected, cycle through the mode button.

If its not working then your cable is not connected right. I have seen somewhere that some euro models have difficulty on detecting aux. You might want to check that too, since I see yours is diesel and we didn't have diesel version e46 here in US.
__________________
trj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 12:45 AM   #602
NSF e46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: california
Posts: 32
My Ride: 2003 325i
just letting you guys know i did the cable and ran it thru the bar where the seat warmers are at. looks almost oem. wouldnt have done it any other way.
NSF e46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 04:28 AM   #603
ac_2007
Registered User
 
ac_2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 6,719
My Ride: 2004 M3, 2001 325i
Can someone please tell me how to make this:








Right now I have a female headphone jack coming out of my aftermarket deck, but I just need to know the parts/components needed to make it "mountable"
In the picture above, it seems the person used some sort of panel style audio jack that has a screw overtop to keep it in place.


Seems I would need a male bottom/female top, and the top would need to have the tiny screw "nut".
Where do I find this? I've seen the 3/5 pin sockets, but I already have the female connection, so I'd rather not splice and solder it.

Last edited by ac_2007; 04-25-2012 at 04:31 AM.
ac_2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 05:13 AM   #604
DanielJames
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 146
My Ride: Estoril 320d Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by trj View Post
You have to have something connected to the aux cable: iPod, mp3 player? if you do not have resistors installed. The port has to detect some resistance for the aux to pop up.

Once you have the aux source connected, cycle through the mode button.

If its not working then your cable is not connected right. I have seen somewhere that some euro models have difficulty on detecting aux. You might want to check that too, since I see yours is diesel and we didn't have diesel version e46 here in US.
I'm pretty sure the cable is right, tested with multimeter. Connected iPod/iPhone neither showed up the aux.

I would just buy a cable but I dunno if it would work now
__________________
DanielJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 04:04 PM   #605
sillieidiot
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: the OC
Posts: 43,924
My Ride: '06 AW 330ci
Send a message via AIM to sillieidiot
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac_2007 View Post
Can someone please tell me how to make this:



[IMG]http://forum.e46fanatics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=436937&d=1329178659[/IMG




Right now I have a female headphone jack coming out of my aftermarket deck, but I just need to know the parts/components needed to make it "mountable"
In the picture above, it seems the person used some sort of panel style audio jack that has a screw overtop to keep it in place.


Seems I would need a male bottom/female top, and the top would need to have the tiny screw "nut".
Where do I find this? I've seen the 3/5 pin sockets, but I already have the female connection, so I'd rather not splice and solder it.
i don't think you can do it without soldering. that's what i did, but i put it next to my heated seats button. just soldered the wires to the 1/8" phone jack.
__________________
I like to reply to threads with 0 posts




Have a lighting problem? Read this first:
Lighting-related Troubleshooting Guide
sillieidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 05:27 PM   #606
NSF e46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: california
Posts: 32
My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac_2007 View Post
Can someone please tell me how to make this:








Right now I have a female headphone jack coming out of my aftermarket deck, but I just need to know the parts/components needed to make it "mountable"
In the picture above, it seems the person used some sort of panel style audio jack that has a screw overtop to keep it in place.


Seems I would need a male bottom/female top, and the top would need to have the tiny screw "nut".
Where do I find this? I've seen the 3/5 pin sockets, but I already have the female connection, so I'd rather not splice and solder it.
Does your aftermarket deck have the plug coming out of the front or the rear. Im guessing the front. If so why would you want to run it exteriorly just to bury it in the interior again? I havnt read the entire thread maybe im missing something. Btw i ended up posting pics of my indash aux input.
NSF e46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:45 PM   #607
ac_2007
Registered User
 
ac_2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 6,719
My Ride: 2004 M3, 2001 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSF e46 View Post
Does your aftermarket deck have the plug coming out of the front or the rear. Im guessing the front. If so why would you want to run it exteriorly just to bury it in the interior again? I havnt read the entire thread maybe im missing something. Btw i ended up posting pics of my indash aux input.
The aux input from my deck comes from the rear. I don't want a big spool of wire sitting in my glove box, nor do I want to be reaching over that far all the time.
ac_2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:12 PM   #608
trj
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Denver
Posts: 2,923
My Ride: 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac_2007 View Post
The aux input from my deck comes from the rear. I don't want a big spool of wire sitting in my glove box, nor do I want to be reaching over that far all the time.
Ac you can get 3.5mm female connector with screw on top from radioshack or eBay. They are very cheap. Make sure get the TRS( tip ring sleeve) ones or the stereo else you will end up with mono.

And then get a male 3.5mm, solder them to the opposite ends of a 3 pole wire and mount wherever you want to.
__________________
trj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:10 AM   #609
DanielJames
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 146
My Ride: Estoril 320d Sport
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-E46-AU...item3373df1a63

After 3 failed attempts at making this cable I Think i'll just buy this
__________________
DanielJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:21 AM   #610
ac_2007
Registered User
 
ac_2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 6,719
My Ride: 2004 M3, 2001 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by trj View Post
Ac you can get 3.5mm female connector with screw on top from radioshack or eBay. They are very cheap. Make sure get the TRS( tip ring sleeve) ones or the stereo else you will end up with mono.

And then get a male 3.5mm, solder them to the opposite ends of a 3 pole wire and mount wherever you want to.

After searching and searching, I finally found this: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/FLUSH-MOUNT-A...item2eb3c9da52



No soldering, just plug and play into my existing female cable. The only other issue is that I think it will be necessary to drill a second hole in the center console (below the mini tray), since this adapter will stick about 2 inches down once mounted.


EDIT: Another solderless variant - http://www.ebay.ca/itm/FLUSH-MOUNT-A...item2c5a6f9b20

Last edited by ac_2007; 04-26-2012 at 11:23 AM.
ac_2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 01:08 AM   #611
trj
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Denver
Posts: 2,923
My Ride: 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac_2007 View Post
After searching and searching, I finally found this: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/FLUSH-MOUNT-A...item2eb3c9da52



No soldering, just plug and play into my existing female cable. The only other issue is that I think it will be necessary to drill a second hole in the center console (below the mini tray), since this adapter will stick about 2 inches down once mounted.


EDIT: Another solderless variant - http://www.ebay.ca/itm/FLUSH-MOUNT-A...item2c5a6f9b20
I like the second one better as you don't have to worry about resistors and caps. After market headunit
__________________
trj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:27 PM   #612
spruddel
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Norway
Posts: 22
My Ride: BMW E46 330iT
I've connected a cable I bought here: http://www.bilradiospes.no/m/shop/?p...396&katid=1031
It has 3 resistor 100kOhm on a printboard and 2 condensators, but I don't get up AUX when I go through the mode-meny. Have tried to connect mp3-player and without. I have a 2003 with navi professional and the AUX was behind the navigation unit. Do I need to do any special to activate the AUX?
__________________
spruddel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 02:54 PM   #613
sillieidiot
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: the OC
Posts: 43,924
My Ride: '06 AW 330ci
Send a message via AIM to sillieidiot
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac_2007 View Post
After searching and searching, I finally found this: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/FLUSH-MOUNT-A...item2eb3c9da52



No soldering, just plug and play into my existing female cable. The only other issue is that I think it will be necessary to drill a second hole in the center console (below the mini tray), since this adapter will stick about 2 inches down once mounted.


EDIT: Another solderless variant - http://www.ebay.ca/itm/FLUSH-MOUNT-A...item2c5a6f9b20
i guess that works. i generally don't like to have multiple connections in one wire run unless you're soldering it. and i like to have the wire as short as possible to preserve quality.
__________________
I like to reply to threads with 0 posts




Have a lighting problem? Read this first:
Lighting-related Troubleshooting Guide
sillieidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:53 PM   #614
The Horndog
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 1
My Ride: 02 325CI
Is there any way I can make this work on a June 02 radio? It has the mode button but the software is 41.

Is it possible to update the software or is there another way to do this with an older stereo?
The Horndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:43 PM   #615
L3MONz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 142
My Ride: 2003 325i
I know this question has been answered numerous of times but how do I know for sure if my CD player is compatible with the AUX? I took apart the cd player and it says the production of it was 16.04.2003, so will it work? And also when I check in my trunk, it doesn't have the tab that says that it is prewired with satellite radio. Did any of you guys who don't have that tab also get it to work using this DIY?

Last question, does it matter which direction i put in the POWER SW and the RESET SW? Which one goes on top and which one goes on bottom?

Thanks!
__________________
L3MONz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 05:58 AM   #616
salvolg80
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Italy
Posts: 6
My Ride: Italy
Quote:
Originally Posted by spruddel View Post
I've connected a cable I bought here: http://www.bilradiospes.no/m/shop/?p...396&katid=1031
It has 3 resistor 100kOhm on a printboard and 2 condensators, but I don't get up AUX when I go through the mode-meny. Have tried to connect mp3-player and without. I have a 2003 with navi professional and the AUX was behind the navigation unit. Do I need to do any special to activate the AUX?
I have this problem too. I made the cable (both with 2 caps and resistor, and without them) but I can't get AUX mode activated. My car has been produced in October 2003 and the radio too as reported on the stick. What can I do to activate the AUX mode?

Thank you so much in advance to anybody know how to solve it!
salvolg80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 12:26 PM   #617
NSF e46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: california
Posts: 32
My Ride: 2003 325i
Guys i forget where on this forum i read it but wih the oem cable you dont get the problem of the HU not recognizing the aux. thats why i decided to spend the $$ on the cable. Well worth it to me.
NSF e46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 01:31 PM   #618
trj
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Denver
Posts: 2,923
My Ride: 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by L3MONz View Post
I know this question has been answered numerous of times but how do I know for sure if my CD player is compatible with the AUX? I took apart the cd player and it says the production of it was 16.04.2003, so will it work? And also when I check in my trunk, it doesn't have the tab that says that it is prewired with satellite radio. Did any of you guys who don't have that tab also get it to work using this DIY?

Last question, does it matter which direction i put in the POWER SW and the RESET SW? Which one goes on top and which one goes on bottom?

Thanks!
Yes, you should be fine to make an aux in.
You do not need a CD changer, you are just going to use the port on the back of the head unit.

Not sure what you are asking in the last question though.

Also, for those who are not getting the aux with the proper software, date of manufacture and are sure of their soldering in the cable make sure the connection at the actual head unit is secure.
Many times it is possible for the wire to come loose while clicking the harness in place and replacing the radio back in. Specially since the radio harness is very short and there is not much room, I had to re-connect the plug a number of times before I could get the connection secure.
__________________
trj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:24 PM   #619
JuvE46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Glendale CA
Posts: 27
My Ride: 02 M3 Manual
Hi guys I'd really appreaciate some help with this very annoying problem I'm having in installing a aux input..I have a production date 9/2001 M3 with Navigation head unit. Obviously I won't be able to buy an OEM aux input from the dealer (only 9/2002 and up production date will work as I was told by the dealer) so now I'm trying to install a blitzsafe or a similar product through the CD changer input in the trunk.

Problem:
Navi Head unit works fine when playing radio or using navigation, and when loading the CD changer with CD's, the head unit recognizes which slot # has a CD and which doesnt, and it will show the CD and track selected (allnon MP3 CD's) for example 2-04, but THE SOUND WILL NOT COME OUT. I've tried 2 other CD changers in addition to mine and they are all exactly the same. Is there anything I need to do to reset something? could it be wire connection or a communication between HU and Cd changer problem? But if so then how come the HU recognizes there is a CD in the changer? My concern here is if there is a problem with the wiring from the changer to the HU.

As a last resort, I was thinking about just buying a Blitzsafe and connecting it and see if it works or not (and possibly throwing away $120).

Last edited by JuvE46; 05-16-2012 at 09:29 PM.
JuvE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:24 PM   #620
JuvE46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Glendale CA
Posts: 27
My Ride: 02 M3 Manual
Hi guys I'd really appreaciate some help with this very annoying problem I'm having in installing a aux input..I have a production date 9/2001 M3 with Navigation head unit. Obviously I won't be able to buy an OEM aux input from the dealer (only 9/2002 and up production date will work as I was told by the dealer) so now I'm trying to install a blitzsafe or a similar product through the CD changer input in the trunk.

Problem:
Navi Head unit works fine when playing radio or using navigation, and when loading the CD changer with CD's, the head unit recognizes which slot # has a CD and which doesnt, and it will show the CD and track selected (allnon MP3 CD's) for example 2-04, but THE SOUND WILL NOT COME OUT. I've tried 2 other CD changers in addition to mine and they are all exactly the same. Is there anything I need to do to reset something? could it be wire connection or a communication between HU and Cd changer problem? But if so then how come the HU recognizes there is a CD in the changer? My concern here is if there is a problem with the wiring from the changer to the HU.

As a last resort, I was thinking about just buying a Blitzsafe and connecting it and see if it works or not (and possibly throwing away $120).

Last edited by JuvE46; 05-16-2012 at 09:29 PM.
JuvE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bmw aux in, diy aux input, input cable

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use