E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 85 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-01-2013, 07:24 PM   #721
kleen'n'simple

My Ride: E90
has anyone done the aux with the iphone 5 cable. i already have to headphone jack but if i could connect it using the iphone cable so it charges at the same time, that could be cool
kleen'n'simple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:29 PM   #722
trj

My Ride: 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by kleen'n'simple View Post
has anyone done the aux with the iphone 5 cable. i already have to headphone jack but if i could connect it using the iphone cable so it charges at the same time, that could be cool
I used 30 pin to USB and 3.5mm male cable for older iPhones. I tried a lighting to 30 pin adapter off eBay to use the same cable. But the off brand adapters will rarely work with 30 pin adapters and same happened to me. It would charge but won't carry audio signals. I know for sure an apple lighting to 30 pin adapter will work with the cheaper version of 30 pin to USB and 3.5mm cables. But $30 is a bit on expensive side for an adapter.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:40 AM   #723
kleen'n'simple

is there a diy for the 30 pin to usb?
Old 03-05-2013, 12:59 AM   #724
kleen'n'simple

Quote:
Originally Posted by trj View Post
I used 30 pin to USB and 3.5mm male cable for older iPhones. I tried a lighting to 30 pin adapter off eBay to use the same cable. But the off brand adapters will rarely work with 30 pin adapters and same happened to me. It would charge but won't carry audio signals. I know for sure an apple lighting to 30 pin adapter will work with the cheaper version of 30 pin to USB and 3.5mm cables. But $30 is a bit on expensive side for an adapter.
nevermind. i went back and read what you did with the split cable. would you happen to have a picture of how you connected the usb adapter? i think im going to give this a try.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:50 AM   #725
saxual328ci

My Ride: 2004 325ci
I installed an AUX cable in my car and love it. I also picked up a Belkin cable for $5 at Staples too. Very easy DIY

Old 03-06-2013, 02:19 AM   #726
khr0n1x

My Ride: 2004 CARBON BLACK M3
I have a 2004 E46 M3 with OEM navigation. Will i be able to use this aux trick? or buy an aux cable and just plug it in to play my iphone?
| VMR V710 Gunmetal Grey 19" |
| Agency Power V1 Exhaust |

khr0n1x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:49 AM   #727
trj

Quote:
nevermind. i went back and read what you did with the split cable. would you happen to have a picture of how you connected the usb adapter? i think im going to give this a try.
I will try to take a picture tomorrow.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:03 PM   #728
kleen'n'simple

Quote:
Originally Posted by trj View Post
I will try to take a picture tomorrow.
thanks. i already ordered the 30 pin cable and the lighting adapter.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:15 PM   #729
trj

Quote:
thanks. i already ordered the 30 pin cable and the lighting adapter.
If you ordered the lighting cable from apple, you should be fine. But the generic adapter wont transfer audio. I bought one off ebay, for $6. It charges fine but wont do audio.

I know someone here who got the lightning adapter off amazon and it worked with audio for him.

I will post my current setup in a couple of hours.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:20 PM   #730
kleen'n'simple

i got the apple one. want to get it right the first time.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:40 PM   #731
trj

Quote:
i got the apple one. want to get it right the first time.
Yah, I took a gamble on ebay for $5 and didnt work for audio.
At least I can charge my iPhone now and use 3.5 mm audio cable for aux purpose.

I am going to order the adapter that supports audio as well today. So, I dont have to deal with the aux cable.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:55 PM   #732
kleen'n'simple

yea, clean it up a little. i also want to get the euro tray to run that one lighting cable and get rid of the charger and aux. one of the reasons behind upgrading to the iphone.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:22 PM   #733
trj

After a year, I am posing details of my setup.

My setup in detail:

ebay cable that splits 30 pin to USB and 3.5mm male jack.
ebay iPhone cigarette lighter USB charger

radio shack 3.5mm female jack mounted inside the glovebox.

cigarette lighter USB charger connected(soldered with an inline fuse) to an empty slot in the fuse box and grounded to a screw near the glovebox.

Aux mechanism made with this DIY with resistors and capacitors.

Works fine and siri makes it easier for making voice calls while in music or GPS mode.

Tomtom GPS app is awesome. Maps are loaded directly from iPhone so no data usage. Lets you listen to music while the GPS app is on and music is faded or paused(accroding to what you select) when GPS lady speaks.
Its a battery hog though, so have to have a USB functionality.

Ordering a lighting to USB cable with audio for iPhone 5, the one I ordered didnt work with audio.

This is the shot of my old 3GS resting on the ashtray. I added the vent mount later for the same.

The adapter that only charges but doesnt do audio, connected to my old 30 pin cable. I bought it because it was black and matched my setup. Dont mind the plastic wrap its long gone, I took a picture as soon as I unwrapped the package and wanted to test it.

(this adapter is being replaced by the one that outputs analog audio soon, just ordered one but in white ).

This is how my iPhone 5 gets mounted now.

Sorry, I took pictures with my Phone, so the mount is empty.

I prefer vent mount because I use siri to make calls and use GPS most of the time. iPhone microphone picks up the sound really well even from the driver's seat and car speakers gets used as speakers.

I am trying to make a mechanism to make the steering phone button to activate siri with bluetooth.
Going to order this:
http://www.amazon.com/Satechi-MediaR.../dp/B00824948U

May be try to open the remote and make the siri button myself.
I know this is the most viable solution, but to crack open a new remote and steering wheel is something I am weary to do.
If someone can chime in with pin diagrams where steering wheel talk button ends to, I might want to try to do a little more research on it???? I believe they end at the radio harness, but not sure.

Last edited by trj; 03-06-2013 at 04:52 PM.
trj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:05 PM   #734
mikeetastic

My Ride: 333ii
looks like i didnt search good enough and pull the trigger on an older CD53 hu from craigslist..

will this mod work on my newly acquired HU?

i've done the tape deck AUX mod here: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...4&postcount=15 but im having a buzzing sound when charging my device.. which sucks!

TIA..
mikeetastic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:24 PM   #735
saxual328ci

My Ride: 2004 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by khr0n1x View Post
I have a 2004 E46 M3 with OEM navigation. Will i be able to use this aux trick? or buy an aux cable and just plug it in to play my iphone?

Yeah. You would need the Aux cable with the navigation.
part #82-11-0-149-389 w/o NAV)
part #82-11-0-149-389 w/ Nav System

I got mine from the dealer for $34. It came with instructions but I used the instructions below (see link)

http://www.getbmwparts.com/partlocat...catalogid=4462

instructions here
http://www.my330i.com/mod26.php#D
Old 03-07-2013, 02:49 PM   #736
lamsv

My Ride: 2001 325iT
Has anybody tried cutting of the RCA plugs from this Axxess harness, and getting it to work? It has a ground and power source wire so you can charge your iPod. I would assume using the 30pin connector helps with sound compared to the headphone jack too.

lamsv:2001 325iT

Last edited by lamsv; 03-07-2013 at 02:50 PM.
lamsv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:12 PM   #737
trj

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamsv View Post
Has anybody tried cutting of the RCA plugs from this Axxess harness, and getting it to work? It has a ground and power source wire so you can charge your iPod. I would assume using the 30pin connector helps with sound compared to the headphone jack too.
Not sure about the particular product but the quality of audio will be a lot nicer from the 30 pin output than the 3.5mm output.
30 pin output gives line level outputs while the 3.5mm headphone out gives you auxiliary out put.

Just do what I have in my above post.
That would make your installation much more flexible as you will have a USB socket and aux in socket separate. You can use them for two different devices at the same time and if you decide to change the phone/input you can always use the USB and aux with a similar Y-cable.
Not to mention it will be cheaper.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:23 PM   #738
khr0n1x

My Ride: 2004 CARBON BLACK M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxual328ci View Post
Yeah. You would need the Aux cable with the navigation.
part #82-11-0-149-389 w/o NAV)
part #82-11-0-149-389 w/ Nav System

I got mine from the dealer for $34. It came with instructions but I used the instructions below (see link)

http://www.getbmwparts.com/partlocat...catalogid=4462

instructions here
http://www.my330i.com/mod26.php#D

Thank you so much
| VMR V710 Gunmetal Grey 19" |
| Agency Power V1 Exhaust |

khr0n1x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:08 PM   #739
kleen'n'simple

thought id share my results too.

after messing with the caps and resistors for a couple hours i finally got it to charge and play music at the same time.
so then i took this:

and hardwired the 3.5mm jack to it. then i hardwired a cig usb charger.
now im left with only this cable for my iphone 5 or whatever ipod i phone i want to connect:

now i can connect and charge my iphone at the same time, or if someone has an android or something other i still have the 3.5mm jack
just waiting on my euro tray to clean it up a little more.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:38 PM   #740
trj

^ Nice

My lighting to 30 pin apple adapter is on its way too.

Tags
bmw aux in, diy aux input, input cable