E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 92 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-02-2008, 11:59 AM   #161
KME

My Ride: 01' 325i
Awesome, I did this and it worked perfectly. Found a nice and easy way to run it down the side (with a coat hanger) so it comes out near the center console.

Excuse how dirty it is, just got it and haven't had a chance to really clean it out...

Last edited by KME; 03-02-2008 at 12:17 PM.
KME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 01:38 PM   #162
joellsu

My Ride: 2003 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker169 View Post
I have bluetooth and nav in my car, and I spliced an AUX in right by the shifter (6 speed manual) and I get sound but I have to turn up the volume ALOT and it seems to only come out on the right side but it has a good conneciton anyone have any ideas/tips?
After you've installed your AUX input and selected the AUX mode, you can set the volume level of the AUX mode using the same menu that adjusts the fade, bass, etc. This would be the buttons on the left of the system. Mine started off at Level 0 or 1, so I cranked it up to match the volume level of the radio. That way i don't blast my ears out when i unplug the device and it automatically switches over to the radio!
joellsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 10:57 AM   #163
SchnitzelZHP

My Ride: IR 330iM-Performance
i've been searching various forums for an aux cable diy. didn't feel like spending $$ for a cable either. thank you very much!!!!
SchnitzelZHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 04:27 AM   #164
ccblanket

My Ride: ISTANBL
Did this AUX cable and connected today. Awesome tip. Thanks bunch.
ccblanket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 11:50 AM   #165
Leon_s

My Ride: 318i
Nice DIY. I'm inspired to do the same thing to my car. Thanks

one question, where do you run the cables thru? I didnt see any opening at the back of the HU to run the cable into the cabin
Leon_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 12:29 PM   #166
Leon_s

Quote:
Originally Posted by white46 View Post
You can either use stereo headphone or get cable like mine from any local radioshack, etc for less than $5.
i just happended to find it at home.
You mentioned in the beginning that the cable you are using have male connectors on both sides. Can I assume that this type of cable will always have 3 cables inside it? If yes, I'm planning to get it ASAP.

Which of the 3 cables is the ground?

thanks
Old 10-07-2008, 01:16 PM   #167
rorschach

My Ride: '01 318i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon_s View Post
Which of the 3 cables is the ground?thanks
Stereo cables are divided into two parts. When you remove the outer plastic tubing, you'll get two wires, one in red and the other in black tubing, both wrapped in copper wires. The red/black shielded ones are the positives for both channels and the outer wire is the ground for both channels. There could be a common ground for both channels, I'm not sure, but basically, the wires that aren't shielded again inside the outer tubing are grounds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon_s View Post
one question, where do you run the cables thru? I didnt see any opening at the back of the HU to run the cable into the cabin
There isn't one, you have to drill a hole or find a sufficient gap between the panels depending on where you want to route it. I drilled a hole into the back of the sunglasses holder for the cable and the iPod sits in it.

Last edited by rorschach; 10-07-2008 at 01:20 PM.
rorschach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 03:29 PM   #168
toffa

My Ride: 320ci
Send a message via MSN to toffa
I have just a question: I made it my self but following this diagram, so i put two resistance and one condensor. The cable works corretly, but on the frequency range I hear not so good the low frequency. Do you think that removing the resistance and the condenser I can improve it?

toffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 03:57 PM   #169
'busa

My Ride: E90 335i (sold)
Explain to me the need for resistors and condensor (capacitor?)?
Old 10-07-2008, 10:00 PM   #170
Leon_s

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorschach View Post
Stereo cables are divided into two parts. When you remove the outer plastic tubing, you'll get two wires, one in red and the other in black tubing, both wrapped in copper wires. The red/black shielded ones are the positives for both channels and the outer wire is the ground for both channels. There could be a common ground for both channels, I'm not sure, but basically, the wires that aren't shielded again inside the outer tubing are grounds.

There isn't one, you have to drill a hole or find a sufficient gap between the panels depending on where you want to route it. I drilled a hole into the back of the sunglasses holder for the cable and the iPod sits in it.
Thanks for your explanation..do you happen to have a pic of the hole you drilled in the sunglass holder? mind sharing it?

Did you take out the sunglass holder before drilling or you can do it while it's on its place?

Just wanna make sure that I know everything I'm doing before starting this project.
Old 10-08-2008, 03:08 AM   #171
rorschach

Definitely take it out, it makes drilling a lot easier.

I can take a few shots later and post them up.
Old 10-08-2008, 03:46 AM   #172
Leon_s

Quote:
Definitely take it out, it makes drilling a lot easier.

I can take a few shots later and post them up.
now..this leads to my next question. How do you take out the sunglass holder? is there any DIY write up for this?
Old 10-08-2008, 06:40 AM   #173
toffa

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayabusa55 View Post
Explain to me the need for resistors and condensor (capacitor?)?
They should be installed because the radio has to feels that you have a load plugged to the input AUX pins. This is the reason why i putted them.

Last edited by toffa; 10-08-2008 at 12:33 PM.
Old 10-08-2008, 11:23 AM   #174
Leon_s

I'm planning to put my ipod inside the compartment behind the gear lever (just above the ashtray). This thing pulls straight out, rite?

How do you remove the climate control unit?
Old 10-08-2008, 11:46 AM   #175
rorschach

Yes, the sunglasses holder pulls straight out. You have to open the door, then put your hands in there and push the "roof" of the holder up while pulling it out. The climate control will come out after you take out the head unit. Just push it from behind and it will pop out.
Old 10-08-2008, 12:35 PM   #176
Leon_s

Quote:
Yes, the sunglasses holder pulls straight out. You have to open the door, then put your hands in there and push the "roof" of the holder up while pulling it out. The climate control will come out after you take out the head unit. Just push it from behind and it will pop out.
okay..cool..thanks for that, mate
Old 10-08-2008, 04:20 PM   #177
YOnpds

My Ride: E46
WoW! Great DIY. Thx
YOnpds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 11:45 PM   #178
Leon_s

Mine didn't work :(

How come mine didn't work?

This is my headunit:

and this is the wire I made

here's where I plug the pins in

It seems that my headunit cannot read the input. When I press the mode button, there's only 2 mode...cd and radio.

Am I missing a step or two??

please help
Old 10-12-2008, 02:53 PM   #179
toffa

Only for a test, I made this cable according to this guid DIY, but it does not work. My radio is a Bm24 08/2002 with mode button.
Instead putting resistors and capacitor it works fine. Anyone have ideas for that?
Old 10-13-2008, 09:57 AM   #180
Leon_s

Quote:
Originally Posted by toffa View Post
Only for a test, I made this cable according to this guid DIY, but it does not work. My radio is a Bm24 08/2002 with mode button.
Instead putting resistors and capacitor it works fine. Anyone have ideas for that?
Do you have more info or pics of where the resistor should be installed?
Does it work?

Tags
bmw aux in, diy aux input, input cable