E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum

The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum
Use this forum to discuss anything in relation to wheels to tires to offsets.
Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-29-2006, 08:57 PM   #1
jss8422

My Ride: 2003 BMW 330i
17s vs 19s-- comfort, rideability?

So right now I'm trying to make my Christmas list, and of course BMW parts comprise most of it. A big thing, however, are some new shoes. Currently I have OEM 17" stock M-sports, shown below, and want to upgrade. I live in a suburban area, however roads tend to be less than par. I mean, it seems like we have a lot of minor potholes and stuff. This dilemma is somewhat swaying my decision whether to get 18s or 19s... I really want 19s, but I don't want to mess them up. I'm a cautious driver no doubt, but should I worry? What advice can you guys shed on the difference between the two? How worth it is it?

You're all the best!!!

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-30-2006, 01:21 PM   #2
Nichts

My Ride: 3 Series, Q45
I am making this decision as well.

I am making a decision on 18” BMW stock 330 wheels or 19” Beyern 8.5” front, 9.5” rear. I am very nervous about the second set up, very nervous. I don’t want a problematic set up.
Old 11-30-2006, 01:37 PM   #3
isugoo

My Ride: 08 E90M3
17"s don't look good. 19"s look great but yes, its harsh if you're used to drive 17"s. A lot of NYC owners still enjoy their 19" (I have M3) and don't really complain. Any bigger size/low profile tires are more chance to get damaged from some bad road conditions for sure.
But still enjoyable. I think best compromise solution is just get 18"s so it looks alot better than 17" but not harsh on the rides and not too much worrying about tire damages. Also 18"s are so popular now so tire prices aren't that bad comapre to 19" tires.

I alway like +1 size set up. +2 sizes sometimes looks too much and kinda showly instead of subtle nice upgrade.
When I had Z, I upgraded my stock 18"s to lighter/wider 18" and my current M3 19", I just put wider wheels since I dont see any single reason to have bigger wheels. (look, ride comfort, tire price, pot holes etc.)

budget 18" CSL replica (800+shipping) would look great without spending big budget wheels.
isugoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 02:16 PM   #4
hosagod

My Ride: Facelift Ci
You're getting too anxious about 19" wheels. They are very reliable and minor potholes are not a problem at all...as long as you get a wheel by a respectable manufacturer.

My 19s have put up with so much and they are still without problems. No cracks, bends, nothing...The fact that you are a safe driver makes the situation even better.

18s will bend too if you run over huge potholes at 30mph, it's all about being careful. But like I said, you don't have to be so cautious with 19s.

The looks alone make the difference. So go for it and don't hesitate.

18s and 19s are quite similar as far as ride comfort goes.
Old 11-30-2006, 02:17 PM   #5
hosagod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Gekko View Post
I am making a decision on 18” BMW stock 330 wheels or 19” Beyern 8.5” front, 9.5” rear. I am very nervous about the second set up, very nervous. I don’t want a problematic set up.
Beyerns are very well made and you shouldn't worry, you will love them.

Just don't drive harsh or fast over BIG potholes...it's just common sense.
Old 12-02-2006, 11:48 PM   #6
jss8422

My Ride: 2003 BMW 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by hosagod View Post
Beyerns are very well made and you shouldn't worry, you will love them.

Just don't drive harsh or fast over BIG potholes...it's just common sense.
Ironically, the Beyern Mesh's sparked this thread... I want some 19s in those soooo bad, but just wanted to make sure I wasn't making a mistake. Thanks for the advice all....
Old 12-02-2006, 11:54 PM   #7
Mikaly

My Ride: TiAG 323i on 19s
Went from OEM 16s to Breyton Magic 19s. Needless to say, I like them much more than before.

Almost 600 miles on them and no problems yet. Even with some of the crappy road conditions after the last rain. I just remember where the potholes are and stay in different lanes. I woulda done that with my 16s anyway, so no biggie.

Mikaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 12:53 PM   #8
hosagod

Exactly!

Old 12-03-2006, 02:37 PM   #9
Kidasters

My Ride: 2004 E46
I've got the same OEM wheels (17" M-Sport), and I'm considering getting some 19" M Competition wheels (figured I'd get the 19 x 8's all the way around). Now, I'm pretty sure that the E46 M3 has a different suspension setup than my E46 Sport 330i. Anyone know if you are risking damage to the car itself going to the 19's?
Kidasters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 02:41 PM   #10
Mikaly

You won't damage the suspension, but you cannot put an e46 M wheel on a non-e46 M because of the offset.

I believe the fronts will work, but the rears will not. What you might be able to do is get two pairs of front M wheels to go all around your 330.

Old 12-03-2006, 02:54 PM   #11
Kidasters

My Ride: 2004 E46
Yeah - that was the plan, order 4 "fronts" for the entire car.
Kidasters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 03:05 PM   #12
Mikaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidasters View Post
I've seen a bunch of people on the forums with that setup, and I don't see any reason four M "fronts" would be any different than any other 19s with the correct offset. So I think you'll be fine.

Old 12-04-2006, 02:27 AM   #13
hosagod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidasters View Post
That's a good plan and your suspension will not be harmed.

BTW, to a fellow Houstonian.
Old 12-17-2006, 10:43 AM   #14
tofupunx

My Ride: 2000 328i SP
I went from a 16" wheel and debated going 18" vs' 19" and I am SOOOOOO glad I went to a 19" because it has proved problem free, ride quality is still great (factory sport suspension with H&R anti-roll bars) and has much reduced tire roll than an 18" wheel/tire. I did notice however that the larger rims seem to have used up what I had left in the front control arm bushings after switching back to my winter wheels/tires. Turn-in seems less immediate than last winter and there's a bit of compliance in the steering before anything happens. Not a big deal anyway, they say the front upper/lower control arm bushings are made soft for the N. American market because of our shi**y roads and thus they wear out. Urethane bushings should yield dramatic results at this point. Anybody else have this going on?
The long and short is.... buy the 19's and replace your control arm bushings if they wear out (or just for the performance aspect) and you will be very happy with your decision!

[QUOTE=jss8422;5197511]So right now I'm trying to make my Christmas list, and of course BMW parts comprise most of it. A big thing, however, are some new shoes. Currently I have OEM 17" stock M-sports, shown below, and want to upgrade. I live in a suburban area, however roads tend to be less than par. I mean, it seems like we have a lot of minor potholes and stuff. This dilemma is somewhat swaying my decision whether to get 18s or 19s... I really want 19s, but I don't want to mess them up. I'm a cautious driver no doubt, but should I worry? What advice can you guys shed on the difference between the two? How worth it is it?

You're all the best!!!

Last edited by tofupunx; 12-17-2006 at 10:45 AM.
tofupunx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 11:29 AM   #15
hoppa79

My Ride: needs more cowbell
19's ftmfw
hoppa79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 01:47 PM   #16
Edison@JleviSW
1.888.JLEVISW

My Ride: BMW Duh
Send a message via AIM to Edison@JleviSW
I would go with a set of 18's, IMO they are a perfect compromise between 19'' looks and 17'' ride quality and performance.

If you need any assistance in pricing out various 18'' or 19'' applications, feel free to contact us
Edison@JleviSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 02:12 PM   #17
StylGryCi

My Ride: looks fast but isn't
I have to disagree with anyone who says that the ride is not comprimised with the larger wheels. There is a big difference b/w the 17's and 19's. You feel the road and its bumps and cracks MUCH MORE with the change. Looks over everyday function... (But I'm ok with it.)

You PROBABLY won't damage your 19's and more than you would 18's unless you hit something major.

Not that it helps, but faced with the same dilemma, I went with 19's in suburban Philadelphia, and I would do it again. Why... cuz they look SO good. GL.

Good news is you really can't go wrong.

*back on stock 17s, so sad.
StylGryCi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 09:02 PM   #18
tofupunx

My Ride: 2000 328i SP
I guess the bottom line is that if the roads where you do most of your driving suck, get 18's. The roads here are pretty decent so the 19's have yet to be too harsh. I will say though, the extra rotational mass does make the car feel more sluggish off the line (which obviously I don't like about larger wheels) and with more aggressive damping the ride would definitely be rougher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StylGryCi View Post
I have to disagree with anyone who says that the ride is not comprimised with the larger wheels. There is a big difference b/w the 17's and 19's. You feel the road and its bumps and cracks MUCH MORE with the change. Looks over everyday function... (But I'm ok with it.)

You PROBABLY won't damage your 19's and more than you would 18's unless you hit something major.

Not that it helps, but faced with the same dilemma, I went with 19's in suburban Philadelphia, and I would do it again. Why... cuz they look SO good. GL.

Good news is you really can't go wrong.
Old 12-20-2006, 08:54 AM   #19
tabasco

My Ride: E30; E39 ; E53
Compared to my E30...my E46 on 19's slammed on H&R Race, is super plush. It is a very very comfortable ride. Had to have the rear fenders rolled...but damn they look good!

jason