E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 21 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-09-2006, 07:14 AM   #1
TwoE46s

My Ride: Dinan 330ci & 325it
The "why BMW only" coolant question answered

As this continually comes up, I thought it would be good to post a recent tech column answer from Bimmer Magazine as to why you should only use BMW coolant. This is from Mike Miller's Tech Q&A column in the Dec. 2006 Bimmer, page 36. Mike also writes for The Roundel (the BMW Car Club of America magazine). As I have noted before, if you are a BMW enthusiast, you should belong to the BMW CCA if only to get Roundel, and you should also get Bimmer which caters a little more to newer and modified cars. You'll learn a lot from Mile Miller's columns, and read them all as many questions cross BMW model lines, such as from the same Dec column he talks about considerations for putting larger wheels and tires on an E36 that would apply to E46s as well..

So here is Mike's comments, that I'll take liberty to paraphrase a bit (and I'm not responsible for typos!).

"BMWs are incredibly sensitive to operating fluids, including coolant. I've always felt this is due to the metallurgy used in the engine construction, but there is no way to know for sure. On neglected cars, aluminum oxidation builds up in various places within the engine, including on older models, between coolant hoses and aluminum fittings. That is the most obvious manifestation of aluminum oxidation. It causes the worst problems inside the sometimes tiny coolant passages of the cylinder head, where it can act like hardening of the arteries, restricing or even cutting off the supply of coolant to various parts of the cylinder head. This sometimes presents itself as phantom overheating with no known cause, though more often than not the cylinder head gasket blows before that.

I learned long ago that using phosphate free Original BMW anit freeze mixed 50-50 with distilled water and changing it every 2 years, of even four years on hotter running OBD-II modles essentially eliminates aluminum oxidation. The cars I mantain don't blow head gaskets or have cronic overheating problems. ......................."

again, credit to Bimmer Magazine and Mike Miller
17X8 BBS RXs & 225/45 Toyo Proxes 4s
Coupe:(sold)
Dinan "S" plus Throttle Body & Stg 3 Software
Dinan Stage 2 Suspension
UUC Shifter
UUC Underdrive Pulleys
Goodridge Braided Brake Lines
Michelin Pilot Sport PS2s on factory M Double Spoke 68s
Track Stuff - 17X8 OZ SuperLeggeras & 235/40 Toyo RA1s; Shroth Harnesses
TwoE46s is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-09-2006, 07:24 AM   #2
e46nj325

My Ride: E46 325i
why wouldnt you use bmw coolant? woud you not use a bmw oil filter? aftermarket parts are cheaper for a reason there simply not made up to par with bmws suppliers now im not saying everything you replace has to be oem but critical engine parts like these def should be these motors are very sensitive and expensive dont be throwing things in that will hurt it
e46nj325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 07:30 AM   #3
Ti330Ci

My Ride: M5
Not really. There are many aluminum friendly coolants out there that work just fine in BMW engines. The operative issue is picking a suitable replacement. I know many long time BMW owners that have run even Prestone and tap water and gone 300k without issue. The issue is changing the fluid...something many owners neglect. You have to purge the acidity due to permeation of hydrocarbons into the coolant stream due to combustion that attacks the metal. As to head gaskets...on most BMW sixes...150K to 200K miles is the rule of thumb...about twice that of a needed bottom end rebuild. Changing fluids is more important that using BMW specific fluid and that applies to the Steptronic trans as well.
George
Ti330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 07:33 AM   #4
Ti330Ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46nj325 View Post
why wouldnt you use bmw coolant? woud you not use a bmw oil filter? aftermarket parts are cheaper for a reason there simply not made up to par with bmws suppliers now im not saying everything you replace has to be oem but critical engine parts like these def should be these motors are very sensitive and expensive dont be throwing things in that will hurt it
Sorry bro...more baloney. They simply cost more. Yes they are good but there are many suitable replacements....Mann filters....Zerek G06 approved for MB is about half the price of BMW coolant at Autozone and just as good if not better.
George
Old 12-09-2006, 09:53 AM   #5
rwh330CiC

My Ride: 330CiC 330i
I don't know guys, my Bimmers cost over $45k each new. I think I'll spend the extra $10 or $15 dollars every few years on 'BMW only" to have a little piece of mind. Bob
rwh330CiC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 11:02 AM   #6
saxual328ci

My Ride: 2004 325ci
I remember talking to the service guy at the Acura shop and hearing this loud noise coming from a car pulling up to the service lane. This guy had put on some aftermarket brakes on his Acura. OMG it was it sounded like it was killing the car. I never could understand why people would buy parts that's a "quick'" fix then later returning cause its not working. Especially parts that you need to keep your car safe ie windshield wipers, brakes, belts.

totally agree rwh330CIC
Old 12-09-2006, 11:04 AM   #7
deletedpenguin

My Ride: is gone!
Send a message via Skype™ to deletedpenguin
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwh330CiC View Post
I don't know guys, my Bimmers cost over $45k each new. I think I'll spend the extra $10 or $15 dollars every few years on 'BMW only" to have a little piece of mind. Bob
I completely agree with this statement.
Old 12-09-2006, 11:16 AM   #8
curious_george

My Ride: '02 325i ZSP
Quote:
Pass the Kool Aid...

It was summed up above - you need to understand what you are buying as a replacement. Does anyone here think BMW has a coolant factory somewhere? No. Of course not. You can buy comparable components elsewhere. I do see an advantage in that it is easy and there is no question. Frankly, the coolant is not much more than other quality coolants.

This is a dangerous (costly) road though ... this mindset is what allows BMW to charge nearly double for something like a brake rotor or windshield glass, just because it has the roundel stamp on it. It must be better then!
curious_george is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 11:40 AM   #9
Ti330Ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by curious_george View Post
Pass the Kool Aid...

It was summed up above - you need to understand what you are buying as a replacement. Does anyone here think BMW has a coolant factory somewhere? No. Of course not. You can buy comparable components elsewhere. I do see an advantage in that it is easy and there is no question. Frankly, the coolant is not much more than other quality coolants.

This is a dangerous (costly) road though ... this mindset is what allows BMW to charge nearly double for something like a brake rotor or windshield glass, just because it has the roundel stamp on it. It must be better then!
Exactly. Zerex makes the BMW specific coolant. The guys above that don't know any better are frankly better off with the BMW brand stuff. And that also applies to them deferring their maintenance to professional mechanics at or around $80-100/hr.
Those are just the customers that BMW wants as they make beaucoup bucks by the mark up of certain fluids in particular.
George
Old 12-09-2006, 12:04 PM   #10
olinjohnston

My Ride: Dakar 330Xi + ESS TS
Send a message via AIM to olinjohnston
"BMW coolant" is like "BMW motor oil"...another privately labeled product made by someone else (probably Prestone lol), and marked up ridiculously in price to alter its perceived value. its a classic marketing tactic. granted, its stupid to use cheap stuff or fluids that don't agree with the materials in the block...but, find out what it really is, and you wont have any problems.
olinjohnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 01:29 PM   #11
Djrockz415

My Ride: needs a blower
Quote:
Originally Posted by curious_george View Post
Pass the Kool Aid...
dont pass the kool aid if Jim Jones made it
Djrockz415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 01:42 PM   #12
e46nj325

My Ride: E46 325i
mann is the supplier for the oil filters and its what i use in my bmw im talking about pep boys selection of oil filters and coolant you wont find bmws suppliers brand there this post was originally derived from some one saying prestone makes a life time coolant now but thats been around for a long time now you should always use what bmw uses
e46nj325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 01:55 PM   #13
bim323imer

My Ride: slow e46
Quote:
Originally Posted by olinjohnston View Post
"BMW coolant" is like "BMW motor oil"...another privately labeled product made by someone else (probably Prestone lol), and marked up ridiculously in price to alter its perceived value. its a classic marketing tactic. granted, its stupid to use cheap stuff or fluids that don't agree with the materials in the block...but, find out what it really is, and you wont have any problems.

Actually, BMW motor oil is specially formulated by Castrol specifically for BMW's. The standard Castrol 5-30 full synthetic is different from the "castrol" BMW oil. I have a good friend who runs a independent BMW repair shop and he was the one that informed me of this. So to counter your statement about BMW oil, it is different and it is important to use that oil for the most reliable longevity. There are certain standards which i dont know off hand that the BMW oil is rated at, Thus dont use any oil that is no rated to those standards
Old 12-09-2006, 01:58 PM   #14
Tangent_

My Ride: '01 330i
Zerex G05 is the same phosphate-free formulation as the BMW labeled stuff...
Old 12-09-2006, 03:20 PM   #15
323i99

My Ride: M52 - S5D 250G
Who cares if some people will only use BMW parts. Sheep follow the herd.

I use a combination of what works, is not harmful, is convenient and is cost effective.

Some people take this to extremes and are penny-wise, but dollar crazy like the with Acura described above and some are at the other extreme of paying 200% markup on everything out of fear.

I ride the middle and I don't care if anyone does what I do or not. I changed my coolant as soon as I bought my used 323i with 87K miles and I put in Prestone. I changed it because I'm concerned about the protection of the system and the functionality - but I didn't use BMW coolant because I'm not going to drive 30mi to a crappy BMW dealership or 55mi to a half-way decent one just for coolant.

Thanks TwoE46s for bringing a non-official but well respected piece of literature to the table, but that's all it is guys. Do with the info what you will.

TiAg 5MT | Projectors w/AE | Smoked Lenses | Keyhole Delete | Blackout Grille
323i99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 06:38 PM   #16
Five_seveN

My Ride: rover james
Send a message via AIM to Five_seveN
Quote:
i need to get out to the dealership this week and use those seasonal coupons they just mailed

Perhaps you should stop responding. It's a no-win for you here. :dunno:
Five_seveN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 08:59 PM   #17
Lugnut2683

My Ride: Lotus Elise
Send a message via AIM to Lugnut2683
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ti330Ci View Post
Exactly. Zerex makes the BMW specific coolant. The guys above that don't know any better are frankly better off with the BMW brand stuff. And that also applies to them deferring their maintenance to professional mechanics at or around $80-100/hr.
Those are just the customers that BMW wants as they make beaucoup bucks by the mark up of certain fluids in particular.
George
I could not have said it better myself. The problem is (unfortunately), a lot of BMW guys aren't real car guys, aka they don't even understand what is going on with their car. So when they hear something from a so called professional (which by the way, automotive journalists are NOT), they take it literally and live by their words as some sort of religion.

But obviously, there is nothing "wrong" with going with all BMW fluids. I think some people need this false sense of security so that if something does go wrong, they can at least say "well its not my fault because I used BMW fluids" to compensate for their lack of automotive knowledge.

This isn't about saving money or using cheap products. What if someone decides to use Motul fluids in their vehicle? These fluids cost way more than BMW fluids, are scientifically proven to provide better protection against wear and corrosion, and yet some people would still swear by their beloved "BMW" only brand fluids, simply because it has a name on it.

DIY Garage Build (Updated November 18, 2009):

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=297607
Lugnut2683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 06:32 AM   #18
shortyb

My Ride: Has blue lights
There is a fairly good reason Mike Miller likes to recommend OEM fluids for some/most applications. Its a safe bet to do it, especially in a well regarded, BMW endorsed, enthusiast's magazine. He also likes Redline fluids when it comes to driveline components too.

There is definately some merit in the OEM stuff. BMW takes a lot more care when sourcing or specing fluids than some of the other manufacturers, but still targeting the lowest common denominator. Take the Hi Performance Synthetic Oil (aka OEM oil). This is NOT your daddy's off the shelf Castrol Syntec 5W-30. It has a better basestock (still grp. III but ONLY grp. III 5W-30 to meet ACEA A3) and a much more robust additive package. These combine to allow the oil to go the distance of the longer change intervals that seem popular these days. It went 13K in my car from the previous owner and an oil analysis showed it to have done very well.

The coolant is the same way. Borate free, amine free, phosphate free, and ultra low silicate. About the only thing not free is the price . It was speced by BMW for the multitude of metals, plastics and rubber that it will be used with. I believe it is sourced from Pentosin, a very well respected European fluid manufacturer.

Points to ponder with fluids. Nothing wrong with using something else as long as it's equal to or better than the OEM. You have to do your homework when looking for these. I've heard plenty of horror stories with folks putting an OAT (organic acid technology, aka DexCool) coolant in with a standard glycol and creating all sorts of havoc. Make sure you know what you are doing. If you want to change coolants, or brake fluid, or any others, flush as much as you can before replacing. Bad things can sometimes happen when different fluids are mixed. Another thing to remember is change whatever you use on a regular basis. Some people get sucked into the myth of "lifetime" fluids and greatly exaggerated maintenance intervals and neglect their vehicles. The old adage applies, "you can pay now or pay later".

Last edited by shortyb; 12-10-2006 at 06:35 AM.
shortyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 07:38 AM   #19
TwoE46s

My Ride: Dinan 330ci & 325it
Good to see some logical discussion, but I do want to throw another thought on the table with regards to the fact that BMW certainly does not make thier own coolant. In fact, think about this - BMW doesn't actually manufacter a lot of what is put into thier cars, but I think we'll all agree, a BMW is a unique product that we all find extra value in.

However, in the automotive world as well as with many other industries, BMW does set thier specs / requirements with thier manufacturers and while you may find other brand name / off the shelf products made by the same actual manufacturer, there can be minor to major differences in what appears to be the same product. And in many cases, the OEM agreement does not allow the actual manufacturer to produce a similar product under another name.

My perspective on the coolant thing question is that it's something that you do at the most every 2 years, and the cost is inconsequential. I don't have the time nor any desire to worry about what other coolant may or may not perform appropriately in a BMW, and the cost of making a mistake in this area is extreme in both cost and safety on the road. If that doesn't make me a car guy, well, let's meet at the track and we can have that discussion around lap times. (no offence taken, I do undertand your perpective Lugnut! )
17X8 BBS RXs & 225/45 Toyo Proxes 4s
Coupe:(sold)
Dinan "S" plus Throttle Body & Stg 3 Software
Dinan Stage 2 Suspension
UUC Shifter
UUC Underdrive Pulleys
Goodridge Braided Brake Lines
Michelin Pilot Sport PS2s on factory M Double Spoke 68s
Track Stuff - 17X8 OZ SuperLeggeras & 235/40 Toyo RA1s; Shroth Harnesses

Last edited by TwoE46s; 12-10-2006 at 07:47 AM.
TwoE46s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 07:48 AM   #20
Ti330Ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoE46s View Post
Good to see some logical discussion, but I do want to throw another thought on the table with regards to the fact that BMW certainly does not make thier own coolant. In fact, think about this - BMW doesn't actually manufacter a lot of what is put into thier cars, but I think we'll all agree, a BMW is a unique product that we all find extra value in.

However, in the automotive world as well as with many other industries, BMW does set thier specs / requirements with thier manufacturers and while you may find other brand name / off the shelf products made by the same actual manufacturer, there can be minor to major differences in what appears to be the same product. And in many cases, the OEM agreement does not allow the actual manufacturer to produce a similar product under another name.

My perspective on the coolant thing question is that it's something that you do at the most every 2 years, and the cost is inconsequential. I don't have the time nor any desire to worry about what other coolant may or may not perform appropriately in a BMW, and the cost of making a mistake in this area is extreme in both cost and safety on the road. If that doesn't make me a car guy, well, let's meet at the track and we can have that discussion around lap times.
There is a sweet spot all said and done. Since you only need a gallon of coolant every couple of years...why not spend the extra 8 bucks for the BMW coolant. That is one thought. BUT...as with BMW oil for example, I personally prefer Mobil 1 to CasterOil. Just me. I run a step in my current BMW and the step fluid is the biggest conundrum...because of the friction modifiers in the ESSO fluid. Anybody that knows motorcycles knows that wet clutches are sensitive to fluid lubricity. So getting the right amount of friction in the oil is big based upon the design of the clutch packs.
Anyway...we can debate this stuff ad nauseum and we have :-) But sheep do follow the herd and as mentioned, many if not most BMW owners don't know much about their cars. I like to rebuild BMW's and design cars for a living so I have a bit different perspective then some.
George