E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-29-2016, 04:58 PM   #1
TheMidnightNarwhal

My Ride: 2004 6spd 330ci
Jacking car not equal on each side

I don't know if this is normal or it indicates I have an issue with the suspension or something but I jacked the rear of the car up on the left jackpad (when viewed from front) high enough to place a jackstand onto the front left jackpad to allow my jack to reach the central point. I then jacked the front center point up and the left side of the was noticeably higher than the right side, I could place my jack stand ratcheted up 4 clicks while the right side I couldn't even rachet it up by 1 click.

Last edited by TheMidnightNarwhal; 10-29-2016 at 04:59 PM.
TheMidnightNarwhal is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-29-2016, 05:20 PM   #2
pack horse

My Ride: 325i coupe
Is the ground level? that's not normal.
pack horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 05:39 PM   #3
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
There are lots of things that play into a car needing to be raised different amounts on each side, among them the fact that the suspension changes positions when you raise one side, then you raise the car on the other side.

The test for ride height measurements is to put the car on the ground, drive around the block so it settles. Put the car on a flat surface, your garage floor is perfect. Measure from the top of the wheel opening to the lowest point on the rim on both sides of the car, the measurements must be within 10 mm (3/8 in.) from one side to the other. If more than 10 mm variance, then you have broken suspension parts -- usually a spring. There is a spec for what the measurements should be based on the rim diameter, but what you need to know for the sake of troubleshooting is that both sides must be within 10 mm of the same measurement. Front and rear will not be the same at all, but left and right should be the same.
jdstrickland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 05:47 PM   #4
TheMidnightNarwhal

Quote:
Originally Posted by pack horse View Post
Is the ground level? that's not normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdstrickland View Post
There are lots of things that play into a car needing to be raised different amounts on each side, among them the fact that the suspension changes positions when you raise one side, then you raise the car on the other side.

The test for ride height measurements is to put the car on the ground, drive around the block so it settles. Put the car on a flat surface, your garage floor is perfect. Measure from the top of the wheel opening to the lowest point on the rim on both sides of the car, the measurements must be within 10 mm (3/8 in.) from one side to the other. If more than 10 mm variance, then you have broken suspension parts -- usually a spring. There is a spec for what the measurements should be based on the rim diameter, but what you need to know for the sake of troubleshooting is that both sides must be within 10 mm of the same measurement. Front and rear will not be the same at all, but left and right should be the same.

When I released the hand brake the car seem to have dropped, but it kind of happened unequally. Maybe that was just what happened?
Old 10-29-2016, 06:09 PM   #5
DE46VERT

My Ride: 330ci vert
If I'm following you correctly, your saying that with a jack under the center jack point one side of the car was higher than the other? If that is what your saying, it's normal. Most cars don't have their weight distributed perfectly 50/50 side to side. So with the weight of the car on a small jack point in the middle it will lean a little to one side or the other. Uneven ground also adds to this. This happens every time I jack up any of my cars like that. One side always needs a few more clicks on the jack stand than the other.
DE46VERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 08:17 PM   #6
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
There is no validity to any deviation you might notice when you are jacking the car, whether you jack from the center, or jack one side and place the jack stand, then go around to the other side and repeat.

Put the car on the ground, drive it around the block or down to the burger stand to reward yourself for a job well done, then put the car in your garage or on any flat and level surface. Measure from the top of the fender opening to the bottom of the rim. The measurement must be within 10 mm (3/8 in.) from left to right. Nothing else matters. Live long and prosper.
jdstrickland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 08:33 PM   #7
das_autobahn

My Ride: 2004 330ci coupe
mine is off a bit too, battery on one side, engine leans to the passenger side, fuel etc etc
das_autobahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 04:27 PM   #8
TheMidnightNarwhal

I tried it again this time but this time I placed the jack like more in the center, the wheels were perpendicular to the car and for some reason the car was equal on each side so I guess it's fine.

Last edited by TheMidnightNarwhal; 10-30-2016 at 04:27 PM.
Old 10-30-2016, 04:52 PM   #9
OnTheFence

My Ride: 2001 330i (and 530i)
I don't understand what you tried to do.
To jack the front, use the center jacking point, and then place 2 jack stands behind the front wheels.
To jack the rear, use the weird arch thing, near the diff, and then place 2 jack stands ahead the back wheels.
OnTheFence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 04:53 PM   #10
OnTheFence

My Ride: 2001 330i (and 530i)
If your jack can't reach the center jack point, either drive onto wooden planks, or get a low profile jack.
Do not bother with this hobby if you are not willing to buy the correct tools. You have to pay to play, regardless of what people on the internet say.
OnTheFence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 04:55 PM   #11
TheMidnightNarwhal

^ ?

I can properly jack my car, what are you talking about?

Last edited by TheMidnightNarwhal; 10-30-2016 at 04:59 PM.
Old 10-30-2016, 10:44 PM   #12
evanr614

My Ride: 2000 328Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheFence View Post
I don't understand what you tried to do.
To jack the front, use the center jacking point, and then place 2 jack stands behind the front wheels.
To jack the rear, use the weird arch thing, near the diff, and then place 2 jack stands ahead the back wheels.

that weird arch thing is the subframe lul