E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

View Poll Results: How would you have your dream steering wheel?
Perforated nappa/nappa 3 13.64%
Full nappa leather 4 18.18%
Perforated leather/leather 2 9.09%
Full leather (so..a new stock wheel?) 12 54.55%
Would want extra padding 10 45.45%
Would want tri-color stitch 13 59.09%
Would want thumb grips 11 50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-20-2016, 02:30 AM   #1
YoitsTmac

My Ride: 328Ci
POLL: How you'd have your dream custom wheel?

Hey guys!

Steering wheels are a big interest in mine (sadly enough), and seem to be of relative interest to the community. There are a lot of places to go and a lot of choices. From what I've seen, for most to buy a custom wheel, the price must be under the price of a M3 wheel (which is roughly $550). Sometimes a custom wheel can approach that price, for some extra bells and whistles.

I want to know what you guys look for in a wheel! Take the poll, and tell me your dream fabric combo, if you want added thickness, if you want tri-stitching, and if you'd want thumb grips.

If you have a wheel, tell me how you'd specced it below and how much you paid. If you haven't bought one, tell me how you'd want it and how much you'd pay.
YoitsTmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-20-2016, 02:45 AM   #2
AndreBXP

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
Check eBay. There's a guy in Poland that makes custom wheels for about $350-400. Dallas Custom Steering Wheel is another place but I'm not sure about their pricing.

As for me, I'd go with top/bottom half Nappa and left/right half perforated Nappa with tri-stich, padding, and thumb grips.
AndreBXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 03:13 AM   #3
YoitsTmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreBXP View Post
Check eBay. There's a guy in Poland that makes custom wheels for about $350-400. Dallas Custom Steering Wheel is another place but I'm not sure about their pricing.

As for me, I'd go with top/bottom half Nappa and left/right half perforated Nappa with tri-stich, padding, and thumb grips.
Heard of both. Shipping is high though. Not asking for where to buy since I have a solution for me, but wanted to know what the consensus is

Edit: That's about how I'd have mine!

Last edited by YoitsTmac; 06-20-2016 at 03:13 AM.
Old 06-20-2016, 09:19 AM   #4
Geo31
Ironman

My Ride: 98 M-Z3, 01 325iT
I got mine from Dallas Custom Wheel.

He'll do anything you ask for. I got leather/perf leather with extra padding. He offers two levels of extra padding. I got the thicker option. At first wasn't thrilled with it, but like it now. When I do the M Roadie I may not go that thick again though. I don't like the thumb pads personally. I skipped the tri-stitch because my touring is not an M and there is no tri-stitching anywhere else in the car.

Quality job.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SW1.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	145.2 KB
ID:	634986  

Swim: 2.4 Miles
Bike: 112 Miles
Run: 26.2 Miles
Brag: For the rest of your life

Geo31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 09:25 AM   #5
Spannerhead

My Ride: '02 Orient 330i/5
^ That looks really good George! Nice.

I like the stock wheel; the only thing I really miss are thumb grips. The factory leather is very slick, especially right after it's been conditioned with some 303.

Current: '02 330i/5 '06 XC90 '72 240Z
Past: '85 RX-7 GSL-SE '95 540i/6 '95 525i/5 '86 635CSi/5 '88 JZA70 '86 4K quattro '85 RX-7 S
Spannerhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 09:46 AM   #6
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
I have a used ZHP wheel and a new leather cover from RedLineGoods.com. Unfortunately, redline's response to customer inqueries is **** and their "instructions" don't help at all. There are large details missing. How far do I strip my wheel? Why did you include thick padding when I didn't order it? What thickness padding was this designed for?

My wheel and cover have been sitting there for a while. I wrapped my wheel in 1/8 neoprene, but apparently that was too thick. The included 1/8 inch foam is the same thickness though so I'm confused.

Anyway, provide a product for similar cost with BMW specific notes and we'll all be happy.

I have a dream that one day our children will live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of
their skin but by the color of their coolant.

Last edited by WDE46; 06-20-2016 at 09:46 AM.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 10:55 AM   #7
Mango
10 years plus club

My Ride: 2016 Lexus
I vote steering wheels should only be as they come from the factory. My favorite all time is Professional Genuine BMW M3 w/ tri-color stitch followed by black stitch.

I don't like the idea of some dude in a barn putting "padding" or some other crap on the wheel. It's painfully obvious looking at it that it's been jerked off and things don't fit or look quite right.

Support our DMAX: www.Facebook.com/DMAXstandup
FCPEuro.com - use code MangoFCP5 to get 5% off your order!
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 12:49 PM   #8
YoitsTmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo31 View Post
I got mine from Dallas Custom Wheel.

He'll do anything you ask for. I got leather/perf leather with extra padding. He offers two levels of extra padding. I got the thicker option. At first wasn't thrilled with it, but like it now. When I do the M Roadie I may not go that thick again though. I don't like the thumb pads personally. I skipped the tri-stitch because my touring is not an M and there is no tri-stitching anywhere else in the car.

Quality job.
It looks nice! How much did it set you back?
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
I have a used ZHP wheel and a new leather cover from RedLineGoods.com.....

Anyway, provide a product for similar cost with BMW specific notes and we'll all be happy.
Once you said redline, I already knew your complaint. Redline is the reason I'm doing this thread. I have never (forgive me, I'm young) never regretted a purchase over $10, but theirs was a regret that came at the expense of my wheel and my wallet. Never been so unhappy. See my "1 year" link in my sig if you want to see those results...
Can I see how yours came out? Mine was $158 plus $13 for shipping back the old one for a replacement that was just as bad. I will NEED a rewrap, which is why I'm grabbing opinions, although I'm seeing if there is a popular option because I could MAYBE offer something for the community....

Old 06-20-2016, 12:50 PM   #9
YoitsTmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
I vote steering wheels should only be as they come from the factory. My favorite all time is Professional Genuine BMW M3 w/ tri-color stitch followed by black stitch.

I don't like the idea of some dude in a barn putting "padding" or some other crap on the wheel. It's painfully obvious looking at it that it's been jerked off and things don't fit or look quite right.
What do you think of the Dallas wheel above? It doesn't look bad at all, in my opinion. And why wouldn't you want nappa leather?

Last edited by YoitsTmac; 06-20-2016 at 12:51 PM.
Old 06-20-2016, 12:59 PM   #10
Mango
10 years plus club

My Ride: 2016 Lexus
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoitsTmac View Post
What do you think of the Dallas wheel above? It doesn't look bad at all, in my opinion. And why wouldn't you want nappa leather?
It looks off. Bulging, not original.

Steering wheels are very personal to me. It's what you touch and see every moment you're in the car.

I like the precision and detail and "just right" feel and look a factory wheel offers.

Support our DMAX: www.Facebook.com/DMAXstandup
FCPEuro.com - use code MangoFCP5 to get 5% off your order!
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 01:19 PM   #11
YoitsTmac

Quote:

Steering wheels are very personal to me. It's what you touch and see every moment you're in the car.
I like the precision and detail and "just right" feel and look a factory wheel offers.
Alright fair enough, we all have a preference! I can understand the personal feeling behind a steering wheel. I thought everyone would love some nappa leather but I have been wrong before
Old 06-20-2016, 02:43 PM   #12
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
perforated Nappa leather/genuine Alcantara/M tri-stitched
Old 06-20-2016, 02:47 PM   #13
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
If I can get this RedLine Cover to work, I'll post pics. I need to buy some 1/16 inch adhesive back neoprene I think...

I have a dream that one day our children will live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of
their skin but by the color of their coolant.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 04:04 PM   #14
Geo31
Ironman

Quote:

Yep. Like I said, I'd probably not get the thickest padding next time. I agree about the feel. That's part of your interface with the car. This still feels tons better than the skinny factory wheel, which just feels wimpy to me. Given the choice between the two, I'd take the one I have, but in between I think would be just right. It probably would not have the bulges from what I've seen on the Dallas Steering Wheel gallery.

Old 06-20-2016, 04:06 PM   #15
Geo31
Ironman

Quote:
I thought everyone would love some nappa leather but I have been wrong before
Napa leather is not a defined product. So, I'm sure by the general, generic definition, it would be called napa leather.

Old 06-20-2016, 04:08 PM   #16
Geo31
Ironman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
perforated Nappa leather/genuine Alcantara/M tri-stitched
Is that the factory wheel or aftermarket recover?

A year or so ago, the factory wheels were a great buy, but they have gone way up in price making the aftermarket recovers very attractive again.

Old 06-20-2016, 04:12 PM   #17
Geo31
Ironman

Quote:
It looks nice! How much did it set you back?
$500 with shipping IIRC.

The thinner padding would be a little less. Thumb pads are a little more. Alcantara, smooth, and perforated leather are all the same price.

If you mix it, you can get the stitching pointing towards the center like Alex's or horizontally like mine.

I've no association with Dallas Steering wheel other than being a customer. They are easy to work with and they will get my M Roadie wheel sooner or later.

Old 06-20-2016, 06:55 PM   #18
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
Is that the factory wheel or aftermarket recover?
A year or so ago, the factory wheels were a great buy, but they have gone way up in price making the aftermarket recovers very attractive again.
it's a factory M3 "wheel" custom wrapped by a specialty shop in Germany. so aftermarket.
Quote:
$500 with shipping IIRC.
If you mix it, you can get the stitching pointing towards the center like Alex's or horizontally like mine.
yeah, I actually had special ordered the connecting seam horizontal like yours Geo. I like that better. the shop had a straight angle wheel finished they offered at a discount since they were 3 mos back-logged with special orders. so I took it.
Old 06-20-2016, 10:54 PM   #19
YoitsTmac

Quote:
Napa leather is not a defined product. So, I'm sure by the general, generic definition, it would be called napa leather.
Google is putting it as nappa. I honestly don't know for sure if that is the case.

Quote:
$500 with shipping IIRC.

The thinner padding would be a little less. Thumb pads are a little more. Alcantara, smooth, and perforated leather are all the same price....
That's awesome that fabrics are all the same price.

So, hypothetically, a custom wrapped steering wheel with padding, grips, and tri-stitching for $450 would be a deal to people on here? If such a service were to be offered...

Old 06-21-2016, 07:42 AM   #20
lllRazorlll
Modded ///Member

My Ride: '00 328i/A
I would have to agree with Mango. Something that looks like it's from the factory since I am an OEM+ kind of guy. There are nice steering wheels out there but I feel like ones with perforated leather belong on a Porsche or M car. Nappa leather would probably be a very close second for me. Then again, these don't look half bad

Last edited by lllRazorlll; 06-21-2016 at 07:45 AM.
lllRazorlll is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fabric, poll, steering wheel, stitching