E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-25-2015, 02:55 PM   #1
holytrails

My Ride: 2006 M3 6MT
Lift Ramps?

Anyone use lift ramps, like these, in their garage? I need something like this don't want to spend $1400+freight.

http://www.kwik-lift.com
holytrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-26-2015, 07:30 PM   #2
Dan1983

My Ride: 325i, CB M3
I was looking at these a little while back. http://myliftstand.com/
Dan1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 08:34 PM   #3
xdmikey

My Ride: e46 cabrio
Have you considered race ramps or one of those types?
Old 08-27-2015, 02:54 AM   #4
holytrails

Those Mylift stands look good. But wouldn't it be just as easy to use solid wood blocks nailed together? Layed grain horizontally, the wood would be plenty strong.

Ramps are nice but take up a bunch of space. The convenience of the KwikLift is just driving it up, then using the jack on the lift to raise the whole car, not putting the jack on the car itself. But it comes with a price and space requirements. But the KwikLift can also be placed flat and used as a daily parking area. You'd need to make approach ramps though as the edge sticks up.

I might just go with nailing a bunch of boards together and jacking the car up. Just gotta make sure they're solid pieces without any splits.
Old 08-27-2015, 03:02 AM   #5
holytrails

This looks good, strong, easy to make, cheap. And you can store these on the side of the garage space, at least in mine it would fit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-08-27 at 12.59.26 AM.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	610713  

Last edited by holytrails; 08-27-2015 at 03:07 AM.
Old 08-27-2015, 07:16 AM   #6
kmg

My Ride: 325ci
I have a set of Quick Jacks that I use quite a bit both maintenance work and detail work. These work great and make life much easier and are very easy to move around.

2001 BMW 325Ci
2006 Mustang Saleen S281
2007 Chevy Suburban Z71
kmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 12:38 PM   #7
holytrails

Dang. Now thats what I'm talking 'bout.

I like how they are simple and easy to stow away.
I would've liked to see a bit more stout bar for the safety catch. Maybe even two of those.
Over time, I wonder if the hydraulics were not to be evenly matched or one have more/less pressure than the other, the car would come up uneven. Thats a lot of weight on one hydraulic cylinder (per side).

Big price jump from 3500lb to 5000b.

How long have you had them? Did you buy them from the dealer direct or ?

Beautiful garage BTW

Last edited by holytrails; 08-27-2015 at 12:38 PM.
Old 08-27-2015, 01:19 PM   #8
kmg

My Ride: 325ci
I picked them up this spring, and have used them quite a few times so far. I had actually ordered them from AutoZone online when they were running a sale, however they no longer offer them. The garage is getting there, has been an ongoing work in progress over the last year or two. Still a lot that needs done to it. The portability is the big thing that drew me to these however. If I had a big garage with taller ceilings I would have got a mid-rise lift however.

2001 BMW 325Ci
2006 Mustang Saleen S281
2007 Chevy Suburban Z71
kmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 02:11 AM   #9
holytrails

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmg View Post
I picked them up this spring, and have used them quite a few times so far. I had actually ordered them from AutoZone online when they were running a sale, however they no longer offer them. The garage is getting there, has been an ongoing work in progress over the last year or two. Still a lot that needs done to it. The portability is the big thing that drew me to these however. If I had a big garage with taller ceilings I would have got a mid-rise lift however.
More work on the garage? Wow, couch, big screen TV, wet bar? It looks killer to me already.

May i ask what you paid on sale? Or PM if that's better. Direct at $1300, thats still over my budget. And only about $285 less than the Kwik Ramp. But the portability and stowage ease of the QuickLift is attractive.

How's that safety catch bar? Very stout? I'd probably want to add another bar or even put a jack stand under there for my security.