E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2006, 06:37 PM   #1
KillaC3

My Ride: 18 & Over
Angry Bel RX65 Pro= Garbage?

I have a Bel RX65 Pro hardwired installed in my M and twice detector has failed to warn me of a supposed clocking of my speed with laser.

The story:
So today I am driving down a four line road and some jerk gets in front of me and slows down ( mind u there were hardly any cars). So I gun the car, look down at my speedo and see that I am at 110 in a 55 mph zone. I slow it down and keep on going my way. Then I ran into a red light, sit there in traffic for a good couple of minutes and then as soon as the light turns green, a cop on a motorcycle pulls up behind me and pulls me over. I think to myself that he is pulling me over for not having a muffler. Since neither my passenger nor I saw any cops on the side of the road; we were sure that it had to be for the noise. Nope: he was "on the opposite side of the road" , despite that we did not see him and that my radar detector Bel RX65 Pro did not go off. This is the second time it happened; about 2 months ago, 52 in a 45. Once again they “clocked” me with a laser gun and my detector did not go off.
BTW: It has gone off before and warned me about laser. Something's not right.

Is my detector faulty, despite that I bought it new?

Has this happened to anyone, with the same or similar radar detector?

Has anyone been able to fight a laser ticket in court successfully?

Is there a way to test out my detector, other than being clocked by a cop?

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-12-2006, 06:51 PM   #2
grkm3

My Ride: Money Pit
Send a message via AIM to grkm3
Sorry to hear. I've had a Velentine for 7 months and the thing works flawlessly. Maybe it has to do with the placement of your detector. Do you have a tinted windshield by any chance?
grkm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 06:52 PM   #3
E46HARLEY
BEER+WINGS = :)

My Ride: A STEALTH ///M3
Send a message via AIM to E46HARLEY
that sucks bro, it looks like they are spending a lot of money on catching car enthusiasts speeding when they should be looking into other issues, there was a post on here about a new laser that Los Angeles PD is using that is gonna make things really hard to have some innocent fun on the freeway, but then again there are some guys that take it toooooo far..

HARLEY
Old 12-12-2006, 06:52 PM   #4
PreppyR6

My Ride: shines like justice
I remember reading that laser detection is a game of chance because its pretty much counting on the light from the laser being refracted from other objects and hopefully into your detector. So not detecting the oncoming officer may be due to the light from the laser refracting from another car but not reaching the detector or maybe there wasnt any other traffic to refract from. Still you'd think of the cop laser'd you, youd at least know it...hmmm. Sorry this really isnt helpful
PreppyR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 06:57 PM   #5
sadclown

My Ride: E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillaC3 View Post
I have a Bel RX65 Pro hardwired installed in my M and twice detector has failed to warn me of a supposed clocking of my speed with laser.

The story:
So today I am driving down a four line road and some jerk gets in front of me and slows down ( mind u there were hardly any cars). So I gun the car, look down at my speedo and see that I am at 110 in a 55 mph zone. I slow it down and keep on going my way. Then I ran into a red light, sit there in traffic for a good couple of minutes and then as soon as the light turns green, a cop on a motorcycle pulls up behind me and pulls me over. I think to myself that he is pulling me over for not having a muffler. Since neither my passenger nor I saw any cops on the side of the road; we were sure that it had to be for the noise. Nope: he was "on the opposite side of the road" , despite that we did not see him and that my radar detector Bel RX65 Pro did not go off. This is the second time it happened; about 2 months ago, 52 in a 45. Once again they “clocked” me with a laser gun and my detector did not go off.
BTW: It has gone off before and warned me about laser. Something's not right.

Is my detector faulty, despite that I bought it new?

Has this happened to anyone, with the same or similar radar detector?

Has anyone been able to fight a laser ticket in court successfully?

Is there a way to test out my detector, other than being clocked by a cop?
did you ask to see the cops laser gun? he might have been bs'ing the speeds. i always ask to see their gun
sadclown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 07:02 PM   #6
KillaC3

He never showed the reading, he just held it up and said these things (laser detectors) are accurate, blah, blah, blah.

Sorry for the noobness but, do I have the right to see the screen/reading on the spot?
Old 12-12-2006, 07:09 PM   #7
Alan

My Ride: 2006 M3
A detector will only warn you *IF* you are lucky enough to catch a stray reflection as the laser (lidar) is used against another vehicle. Despite many people being enamoured of this concept - the reality is much more harsh. Laser speed measuring devices used by police have a very, very narrow dispersion. At 1,000 feet (and cops never use it at anywhere approaching that range) the "cone" of laser light on your car is 3 feet wide. At a more normal usage of say.... 250-300 feet it is less than 12" wide. This minimizes the chances of catching a "stray reflection". Your speed is measured by a series of light pulses - about 1,000 in one second. A lidar unit only needs 2 pulses to calculate your speed - thus calculating your speed in less than one second from the time the trigger is pulled. The light from the laser gun moves to your car and is reflected back to the unit at a speed of approximately 980 MILLION feet per second. Thats why anyone thinking they can hear the detector , apply the brakes and change the measured speed is so laughable. Add to that the fact that if you are going 100 mph - the chances that there is a car right in front/oblique of you is probably about zero. Cops can see a car thats doing 100 mph and your are going to be his new favorite target - above all others.

Here is a quote from a study of the effectiveness of detectors against LIDAR:

"Speeders ticketed by police using laser devices were four times more likely to have radar detectors than motorists apprehended by officers using conventional radar." (Source: Teed, N.; Lund, A.K.; and Knoblauch, R. 1993. The duration of speed reductions attributable to radar detectors. Accident Analysis and Prevention 25:131-37).

If the cop measured your speed from the rear of your car then there is a good chance your detector never "saw" the lidar. If they measured it from say... 100-200 feet (a distance I often see it used at) then then can accurately aim at your license plate (#1 target) and the beam would be narrow enough that your detector would never see it. I know plenty of people that got laser tickets with a V1 in the car.

Relying on a detector to protect you from laser is very, very ineffective. Once it goes off - chances are 95% the cop already clicked his pen and pulled out the citation book. You cannot out-brake lidar targeted at your car.

At 110 mph you are waaaay deep into reckless driving territory with some potential heavy penalties. I suggest getting a good lawyer.

Last edited by Alan; 12-12-2006 at 07:15 PM.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 09:46 PM   #8
KillaC3

Quote:
Originally Posted by grkm3 View Post
Sorry to hear. I've had a Velentine for 7 months and the thing works flawlessly. Maybe it has to do with the placement of your detector. Do you have a tinted windshield by any chance?
Nope; here’s a pic of the placement.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KillaC3.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	153.4 KB
ID:	206784  
Old 12-12-2006, 10:37 PM   #9
fubarski

My Ride: 02 M3 CB
A laser detector is worthless. They would be more appropriately called "ticket detectors", because although they may alert you to the fact that you are under lidar scrutiny, you will not have time to adjust your speed.

You do not have the "right" to look at the readout on the gun. Defenses? Two. First, the operation manual for the lidar will advise that the lidar is to be used from a tripod only. Why? Because the lidar pulses to measure so quickly that even a slight movement by the lidar gun may cause the first pulse to measure a different part of the car than the second pulse. Since the lidar needs two pulses needed to measure speed, calculating the difference in reflection time between the first and second pulse, if the first pulse hits a part of the car that is farther from the officer, i.e., the windshield, and the second hits a closer part, i.e., the grille or headlights, the additional three +/- feet is misread as an increase in speed. So the manual requires a tripod for repeatable accuracy from the reading. Will this help you? No, because the officer will say he was targeting the front plate, if you have one, or the headlight if you don't, and will swear there were no errors in aiming.

You would have a better chance of success in defending yourself if you can raise doubt about the issue of identity. I have no idea of the layout of the area where you were stopped, but if the officer was out of the line of sight for a period of time, you can claim it was another vehicle that was speeding, and yours simply resembled the one the officer clocked. Will this work? No, for two reasons: First, no matter the physical layout of the scene, the officer will swear up and down that you were the vehicle that was clocked, because they'd rather lose an arm than a court case (not to offend any LEO here, but you know it's true). Second, the judge will believe the officer anyway, no matter how insane the testimony. Get an attorney. The best you can do for yourself is avoid getting kicked by the kangaroos.

Now for some actually HELPFUL advice. Get a laser "shifter" or "defuser". You can find them online and they are legal in all states but one (but who cares?). They are basically an infrared flashlight mounted on the front of your car that blinds the lidar gun from getting a reading of the reflection of the gun's laser beam. About $500, but worth every penny.

I've had these on my cars for years. In the beginning, the lidar guns couldn't get a reading on me at all, and I could go by and watch them point it at me, then at the ground, fiddle with it, point it at me, then the ground.........LMFAO. Best time ever was one summer when I was cruising +20 over, some a$$hat in a Taurus comes up beside me and (like so many morons) won't pass, but drives right on my quarterpanel so he can speed but not get a ticket. Then I notice Mcycle patro at the side of the road, hidden behind trees on the side of this wide, level, straight six-lane road in the interest of "safety". The officer steps into the middle of the street, and stops us both. Then, he waves me by, and directs the Taurus to pull over. I have to stop at a red light just past the Taurus, and my sunroof's down, so I can hear the a$$hat going nuts and asking the officer why I wasn't stopped since I was ahead. The officer said "I couldn't get a reading on that car, sir, but I did on yours". Needless to say, I have been sold on these devices ever since.

Present day lidar guns are more advanced, and you have to slow down or they'll get you eventually, but the laser shifters can buy you precious time. HTH
fubarski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 06:05 AM   #10
baller2all

My Ride: BMW E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by fubarski View Post
A laser detector is worthless. They would be more appropriately called "ticket detectors", because although they may alert you to the fact that you are under lidar scrutiny, you will not have time to adjust your speed.

You do not have the "right" to look at the readout on the gun. Defenses? Two. First, the operation manual for the lidar will advise that the lidar is to be used from a tripod only. Why? Because the lidar pulses to measure so quickly that even a slight movement by the lidar gun may cause the first pulse to measure a different part of the car than the second pulse. Since the lidar needs two pulses needed to measure speed, calculating the difference in reflection time between the first and second pulse, if the first pulse hits a part of the car that is farther from the officer, i.e., the windshield, and the second hits a closer part, i.e., the grille or headlights, the additional three +/- feet is misread as an increase in speed. So the manual requires a tripod for repeatable accuracy from the reading. Will this help you? No, because the officer will say he was targeting the front plate, if you have one, or the headlight if you don't, and will swear there were no errors in aiming.

You would have a better chance of success in defending yourself if you can raise doubt about the issue of identity. I have no idea of the layout of the area where you were stopped, but if the officer was out of the line of sight for a period of time, you can claim it was another vehicle that was speeding, and yours simply resembled the one the officer clocked. Will this work? No, for two reasons: First, no matter the physical layout of the scene, the officer will swear up and down that you were the vehicle that was clocked, because they'd rather lose an arm than a court case (not to offend any LEO here, but you know it's true). Second, the judge will believe the officer anyway, no matter how insane the testimony. Get an attorney. The best you can do for yourself is avoid getting kicked by the kangaroos.

Now for some actually HELPFUL advice. Get a laser "shifter" or "defuser". You can find them online and they are legal in all states but one (but who cares?). They are basically an infrared flashlight mounted on the front of your car that blinds the lidar gun from getting a reading of the reflection of the gun's laser beam. About $500, but worth every penny.

I've had these on my cars for years. In the beginning, the lidar guns couldn't get a reading on me at all, and I could go by and watch them point it at me, then at the ground, fiddle with it, point it at me, then the ground.........LMFAO. Best time ever was one summer when I was cruising +20 over, some a$$hat in a Taurus comes up beside me and (like so many morons) won't pass, but drives right on my quarterpanel so he can speed but not get a ticket. Then I notice Mcycle patro at the side of the road, hidden behind trees on the side of this wide, level, straight six-lane road in the interest of "safety". The officer steps into the middle of the street, and stops us both. Then, he waves me by, and directs the Taurus to pull over. I have to stop at a red light just past the Taurus, and my sunroof's down, so I can hear the a$$hat going nuts and asking the officer why I wasn't stopped since I was ahead. The officer said "I couldn't get a reading on that car, sir, but I did on yours". Needless to say, I have been sold on these devices ever since.

Present day lidar guns are more advanced, and you have to slow down or they'll get you eventually, but the laser shifters can buy you precious time. HTH
I thought laser jammers were illegal.
baller2all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 08:17 AM   #11
HeartColdFusion

My Ride: is shipping from CA
Send a message via AIM to HeartColdFusion
Laser jammers are legal, radar jammers are illegal.
Old 12-13-2006, 10:15 AM   #12
Alan

As a footnote: The newer lidar units have been developed to be less sensitive to jamming units. That is not to say that your jammer will be ineffective - just that it may be less effective. There is no "sure thing" defense against lidar.

Also remember that your speed can be "estimated" visually by an officer, you can be paced by an unmarked car, observed by an aircraft or timed using VASCAR. Detectors/jamming will do nothing to protect you in these cases.

Old 12-13-2006, 12:20 PM   #13
DrFaustus

My Ride: 2006 M3, VW 16V, C50
Say what??

Quote:
So today I am driving down a four line road and some jerk gets in front of me and slows down ( mind u there were hardly any cars). So I gun the car, look down at my speedo and see that I am at 110 in a 55 mph zone.
Are you a retard? 110 in a 55. . You could have killed someone. BTW. . Get a good lawyer jackass.
DrFaustus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 04:25 PM   #14
KillaC3

In our cars you reach those speeds in no time. But then again that's NO excuse. All it takes is a grandparent to turn in front of you and it's all over. But like I said before, I got there in a couple of seconds and slowed down when I saw how fast I was going ; I wasn't driving at a constant speed. Additionally, the road I was driving in had hardly anyone, and it has no intersections for a LONG while.

Apart from my speed ; has anyone encountered this problem before? Most of you on this forum have or had a radar detector at some point.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:06 PM   #15
Alan

Quote:

....has anyone encountered this problem before? Most of you on this forum have or had a radar detector at some point.
Encountered which problem before? A ticket for 110 mph in a 55 zone?

Old 12-13-2006, 09:11 PM   #16
gemini06m3

My Ride: M3
I have the Bel 995i and it works great... When it comes to Laser and POP you have no chance. The only chance you have is when theres other traffic in front of you that is getting zapped. Radar Detectors are not COP detectors...
gemini06m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 09:28 PM   #17
m3lowrider

My Ride: In Progress _/_/_/
Send a message via AIM to m3lowrider
Another person's garbage is another person's treasure, pm me for my address

***///M3 AW/IR: BBS CHs, PSS9s, RE RSMs, Powerflex RTABs, Depos, SS Race, SS X & S Pipes, CF gills and grills, V-CSL CF Diffuser, V-CSL Bumper, V-CSL Boot, V-CSL Console, LeatherZ IR, CF Emblems, 6000k Chromiums, 8000k d2s Bulbs***
m3lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 10:33 PM   #18
KillaC3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Encountered which problem before? A ticket for 110 mph in a 55 zone?
No, I meant my radar detector not going off
Old 12-13-2006, 10:37 PM   #19
Alan

Quote:
No, I meant my radar detector not going off

Read the detailed post above that explains why your detector didn't go off (and IF your detector did go off - why you would still have gotten the ticket).

Old 12-13-2006, 10:48 PM   #20
///AaronJtun3d

My Ride: UBR M3AN vert!
my 100$ whistler has saved my ass more times than i can count