E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Classifieds > For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy > Engine & Performance

Engine & Performance
Everything to make your car faster! Air intakes, superchargers, turbos, flywheel & clutch, differentials, chips, short shift kits, exhausts, etc.....

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-14-2006, 08:16 AM   #1
amazzzin

My Ride: ESS E93 M3
FS: Quatro Carbon Fiber CAI

Info on the product:

Product Description:his is a true "cold-air" intake system. The Quatro Cold Air Intake (CAI) fits perfectly in your engine compartment, with the filter inside of the bumper. It's free-flowing design and smooth angles provide optimized airflow for a 5-10% HP gain at the flywheel. This increase in breathability will help your sagging HP and Torque curves throughout the power band, and you will see noted improvements in your jump off the line - and quicker, more powerful revs to redline. This intake was specifically crafted for the E46 3-series chassis. It looks similar to others selling for $400+, however the angles and mounting bracket have been optimized for a more solid fit.
* Durable lightweight carbon fiber with a hi-temp finish!

* Big bore 3.5" diameter tubing

* Easy Installation! Instructions and brackets included

* K&N or equivalent high-flow pre-oiled cleanable filter

* 8-12 HP / 10-15 Ft/Lbs of Torque gain!

About our Carbon Fiber:uatro Carbon Fiber products utilize the highest quality components and processes available. Below is a description of how carbon fiber works, why some carbon fiber turns yellow (and why ours doesn't), and the different methods of producing Carbon Fiber components.
How it works:

Carbon Fiber in its dry fabric form is soft and pliable. It's actually just like any cloth, except that it happens to be comprised of thousands upon thousands of strands of fibers woven together. Our MINI and BMW carbon fiber uses what is called "3K twill", which means that 3000 fiber strands are in each woven cord, and our Ducati carbon fiber utilizes what is called a "plain weave" to match the plain weave that Ducati Performance puts out from the factory.

To make this fabric into a functioning piece, several processes are used (as seen below), all of which basically do the same thing; harden this fabric by incorporating an epoxy (glue) into the material, laying the material into a mold (in the shape of what you're producing), and using heat cure the epoxy. There are several ways to do this, as outlined below, which result in Carbon Fiber products of varying weight and quality. To make sure the epoxy stays inside of the fabric, compaction (pressure) is needed while the epoxy is curing. Lack of compaction leads to pinholes, delamination, and weak components.

Why some carbon fiber turns yellow:arbon Fiber which uses a poor or medium quality manufacturing process often turn yellow over time with exposure to UV rays and heat because of the clearcoat finish used during post-production. None of our Carbon Fiber use this process, as they are all top quality appearance grade items right out of the autoclave.
Methods of Production, from poor quality to high qualityoor Quality Carbon Fiber products are often composed of mostly fiberglass and one or two layers of actual carbon fiber material. Often, insufficient compaction on these parts during the curing process leads to pinholes, resin pooling (milky buildup), and an unsightly finish which needs to be sanded down and sprayed with a clearcoat post production. The Result: These pieces are often as heavy as the stock component they are replacing, and often end up delaminating (The epoxy will separate from the carbon fiber) and/or turning yellow because of the post-production application of clearcoat.
Medium Quality Carbon Fiber products use what is called "Pre Preg" carbon fiber. Instead of coating dry fabric with epoxy, as the poor quality wet lay-up method above often uses, a more expensive type of carbon fiber that already has the epoxy embedded into the material is used. Gigantic rollers pressure-inject dry fabric with an epoxy that will not delaminate, and the result is carbon fiber which does not have to be slathered with epoxy in order to cure. Medium quality carbon fiber may use a moderate amount of fiberglass to reinforce the component, and the method of curing with medium quality CF is usually done in an oven similar to the poor quality carbon fiber. The Result: Lighter weight pieces than poor quality CF, however the curing processes used can still lead to pinholes and a rough surface. To make up for the poor surface finish out of the oven, medium quality carbon fiber is usually sanded down after it is cured and sprayed with an acrylic clearcoat to give it a deep look. The problem with this is that it leaves a nice thick layer of clearcoat for UV rays to turn yellow.

High Quality Carbon Fiber products use pre-preg carbon fiber material laid up into molds which can withstand high temperatures. The majority of the piece is composed of pure carbon fiber material. The pieces are then placed into an airtight bag, and a vacuum is used to suck out all of the air. After this, the pieces are placed into a special oven called an "autoclave," which gets hotter than a conventional oven, AND has hoses inside which hook up to the vacuum bag to continue to pull a vacuum on the piece. The Result: Because of the vacuum bagged autoclave process providing perfect compaction on the carbon fiber piece, the resin inside of the pre-preg evenly flows to the top of the component being manufactured. This results in a beautiful pinhole-free finish which does not have to be sanded down and sprayed with epoxy. Because of this, our carbon fiber components do not yellow or discolor, and are of the highest quality on the market.

I bought this from JLevi, pretty much brand new, never in my car running.. tested out to hear the sound and it sounded really nice. I have a gruppeM intake on my way, so no need for this right now.

Brand new is 349$,

My price: 300 (local) or + shipping.

Quatro headquarters is sendine me a new filter + heatshield so everything is pretty much brand NEW.

PM me, and of course check my iTrader info!

Thanks.

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-14-2006, 02:05 PM   #2
amazzzin

Old 12-14-2006, 09:26 PM   #3
wiggy123

My Ride: 2001 bmw 330ci
pics
wiggy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 11:56 AM   #4
amazzzin

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiggy123 View Post
pics
I'll take some when I get home from work
Old 12-22-2006, 03:19 PM   #5
covesurfer

My Ride: 325ci
are u home yet? lol
covesurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 09:20 AM   #6
amazzzin

Quote:
Originally Posted by covesurfer View Post
are u home yet? lol
yeah.. haha

pics;
Old 01-09-2007, 03:49 PM   #7
amazzzin

bumperrrrr
Old 01-09-2007, 09:40 PM   #8
wiggy123

that looks like the carbonio system that bimmerworld sells.
Old 01-10-2007, 12:47 PM   #9
amazzzin

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiggy123 View Post
that looks like the carbonio system that bimmerworld sells.
not sure,
it's quartro performance though bought from jlevi for like 345$

285 + shipping!
Old 01-10-2007, 01:13 PM   #10
wiggy123

it probally is a quartro performance system , i was just saying it looks like the one bimmerworld sells
Old 01-10-2007, 09:29 PM   #11
Jelly335

My Ride: 2001 bmw 330I
Send a message via AIM to Jelly335
yo 250 local

E46 330i retired
E92 335 current
<3 my one wheel wonder
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2269710/1
-Jeremy
Jelly335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 09:35 AM   #12
amazzzin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JELBMW330I View Post
yo 250 local
hit me up with a PM 250 local
Old 01-11-2007, 10:25 AM   #13
lennon31987

My Ride: imolarot II M
Send a message via AIM to lennon31987
you gettin a new car?

ILLm3 hates me cause im GGGOOODLOOKIIINN

seeking detailing perfection?
lennon31987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 10:30 PM   #14
amazzzin

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennon31987 View Post
you gettin a new car?
yea
Old 01-12-2007, 10:41 AM   #15
amazzzin

Old 01-13-2007, 06:36 PM   #16
amazzzin

Old 01-15-2007, 11:39 AM   #17
Jelly335

what car r u goin to get. any news from the insurance. hey yo is the the ss exhaust and the borla midpipes still good? if it is how much u want for them i am really interested. do u think it will fit my car? yo just pm me. i want to buy it. plus i am local.

E46 330i retired
E92 335 current
<3 my one wheel wonder
-Jeremy
Old 01-15-2007, 02:14 PM   #18
amazzzin

Quote:
what car r u goin to get. any news from the insurance. hey yo is the the ss exhaust and the borla midpipes still good? if it is how much u want for them i am really interested. do u think it will fit my car? yo just pm me. i want to buy it. plus i am local.
no exhaust anymore.

not sure on the car yet, awaiting what I get for my current car

otherwise,

someone pick this up!!
Old 01-15-2007, 02:26 PM   #19
Jelly335

dammit i was ready to by it u even showed me the soundclip dammit. yo so wat happen to ur car. what did the insurance say? where is the car right now?

E46 330i retired
E92 335 current
<3 my one wheel wonder
-Jeremy
Old 01-18-2007, 06:25 AM   #20
amazzzin

Quote:
dammit i was ready to by it u even showed me the soundclip dammit. yo so wat happen to ur car. what did the insurance say? where is the car right now?
still awaiting =) i think its in a yard or something

bumper cars