E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-14-2002, 04:19 PM   #1
johnhab

My Ride: '02 330xi
Send a message via AIM to johnhab Send a message via Yahoo to johnhab
To Ven or Not to Ven -- for ICE experts

OK guys, I've done the usual add an amp and Stealthboxes to my ride, and now need to work out that annoying detail: do I need a line output converter or not?

The system works right now and sounds good, but I have the gain turned all the way down, and not sure if it's going to get "iffy" when I turn it way up (haven't done that yet).

So I have an Alpine MRV-T420 driving the Stealthboxes, and it accepts up to a 4V input signal at the RCAs (it doesn't have speaker inputs, the T320 does).

I've heard, but haven't been able to verify, that the HK head outputs (I spliced in before the amp in the back) put out as much as 11-12V? Is this correct?

So if I do need to bump the signal down, other than the Vendettas, what other LOCs do people recommend (and models)? PAC? PIE? Soundgate? Others?

Thanks.

johnhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-14-2002, 04:26 PM   #2
drgalleg

My Ride: '02 325Ci
Send a message via AIM to drgalleg Send a message via Yahoo to drgalleg
I've read many posts on this forum that state the stock HU sends out a balanced output, which can run up to 12volts. Since you got the signal before the stock amp, you may run into noise if you turn up the gains on the alpine. Since you're just using this to run subs - couldn't you splice into the signal after the amp going to the stock midbass/subs, and connect that to your LOC. The signal would already be lower freq. passed, but that's ok since that's what you want anyway to go to the stealths?
drgalleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 04:30 PM   #3
johnhab

I'd rather not run any LOC at all, so that automatically eliminated the speaker-level outputs. Also, as you mention, the stock amp has the crossover built in, and I don't want to use that, I want to be able to control the crossover frequencies at the new amp.
Old 11-14-2002, 04:51 PM   #4
drgalleg

My Ride: '02 325Ci
Send a message via AIM to drgalleg Send a message via Yahoo to drgalleg
Unfortunately, short of replacing your Headunit, you'll be forced to use some sort of line out convertor to get an RCA connection which you can feed into an amp. Some of the higher end amps like JL Audio and xtant accept a dif. input. So in theory, just use a normal LOC to grab a signal before the stock amp, run RCAs into the JL or Xtant amp, and then you can use the amp's crossover and whatnot to tweak the signal to your sub.

Quote:
Originally posted by johnhab
I'd rather not run any LOC at all, so that automatically eliminated the speaker-level outputs. Also, as you mention, the stock amp has the crossover built in, and I don't want to use that, I want to be able to control the crossover frequencies at the new amp.
drgalleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 04:56 PM   #5
johnhab

Right now I've spliced into the head unit preamp outs in the factory harness in the trunk and have wired those to RCA plugs directly into the Alpine.

Sounds like you agree that the HK head puts out 12V (right?), so while it works ok at low volume with the Alpine's 4V input, I need to splice in an LOC.

So any recommendation on a specific one? Lots have used the Peripheral VEN4, and I only need a VEN2. Have any experience with Soundgate or PAC?

It's just that if I'm going to go the trouble of wiring something in there, I want it to be the best.
Old 11-16-2002, 05:39 PM   #6
ttenn

My Ride: 330 Ci
I finally wired my Ven4 today. See here http://forum.e46fanatics.com//showth...threadid=36842

Sounds good. I don't have any problem with noise yet.
ttenn is offline   Reply With Quote