E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum

The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum
Use this forum to discuss anything in relation to wheels to tires to offsets.
Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-16-2006, 09:39 AM   #1
oembeamer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: pa
Posts: 77
My Ride: 1974 Ford Pinto!!!!!
Send a message via AIM to oembeamer
Staggered Wheels Issue

so i just bought 19" staggered wheels for my 325i and they look great on, but now when i hit a bump (a bad one not just ur regular bump) they are hitting the edge of the fender . It is really bad when i have passengers in the back, is there any way of fixing it without having to put on fender flares? i still have factory suspension, and want to lower it a little bit but at the rate im going this isnt possible unless I flare out the fenders. So if this happened to u any input will help thanks!
__________________

Last edited by oembeamer; 12-16-2006 at 09:42 AM.
oembeamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-16-2006, 10:07 AM   #2
e46m54325ci
OEM ///Member
 
e46m54325ci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Palos Verdes (LA),CA
Posts: 1,553
My Ride: Has TWO Turbos!!!
Send a message via AIM to e46m54325ci
prob gonna have to roll the fenders
__________________
2008 135i
iPod adapter, nothing else!!!
e46m54325ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 10:13 AM   #3
idoc330ci
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Baton Rouge, LA.
Posts: 2,355
My Ride: 2003 330ci
what kind of shoes did you put on?....yeah, you're going to have to roll them.
__________________


idoc330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 10:35 AM   #4
sheefo2k
OEM ///Member
 
sheefo2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Home - Minnesota
Posts: 9,233
My Ride: vrm psh - 02 325ci
what wheels did you put on? what size tires?

changing tires to a smaller series tires and not soo wide depending on the information your going to give us will do the trick. Then roll your fenders too so when your drop it, you will be good togo. I personally cut my fenders completly. I run 275 35 19 with no issues, now running 285 30 19
__________________

Performance BMW car
Sponsored by :
www.euro-spec.net
www.bimmian.com
BMW Motorwerks

support:

www.vmwerks.com
www.esstuning.com
www.my330i.com
sheefo2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 11:04 AM   #5
pimpslapmyride
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mt Home ID
Posts: 91
My Ride: 325i, M-925 5 ton
dude, dont roll them yet! first- unstagger those bad boys, your driving a 325i, you dont need staggerd (plus the under steer sucks, and i think its dangerous) and second, check your offset, you should be able to keep 19's without rolling your fender. I had 18s stag, and they did the same thing on the RR of the car, did all four the same all around and havent had a problem since.
__________________
[QUOTE]Tommycharles_arata@yahoo.com
2003 325i

Quote:
"(When asked why he never drank water) "Fish F**K in it."
- W.C. Fields
pimpslapmyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 11:13 AM   #6
sheefo2k
OEM ///Member
 
sheefo2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Home - Minnesota
Posts: 9,233
My Ride: vrm psh - 02 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpslapmyride View Post
dude, dont roll them yet! first- unstagger those bad boys, your driving a 325i, you dont need staggerd (plus the under steer sucks, and i think its dangerous) and second, check your offset, you should be able to keep 19's without rolling your fender. I had 18s stag, and they did the same thing on the RR of the car, did all four the same all around and havent had a problem since.
what the **** are you talking about?
__________________

Performance BMW car
Sponsored by :
www.euro-spec.net
www.bimmian.com
BMW Motorwerks

support:

www.vmwerks.com
www.esstuning.com
www.my330i.com
sheefo2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 11:24 AM   #7
Deepeyes
Registered User
 
Deepeyes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 1,663
My Ride: Sold
just roll or cut your rear fenders and you will be all set! I cut the lip out of my rear fenders entirely but I run an aggressive setup +38 offset 18x9 with a 265 tire
__________________
Eric
Deepeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 11:32 AM   #8
chenja 330CI
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: NorCal
Posts: 604
My Ride: 330 Coupe
word... fender rolling.
chenja 330CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 11:41 AM   #9
sheefo2k
OEM ///Member
 
sheefo2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Home - Minnesota
Posts: 9,233
My Ride: vrm psh - 02 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepeyes View Post
just roll or cut your rear fenders and you will be all set! I cut the lip out of my rear fenders entirely but I run an aggressive setup +38 offset 18x9 with a 265 tire
fender cutting FTW
__________________

Performance BMW car
Sponsored by :
www.euro-spec.net
www.bimmian.com
BMW Motorwerks

support:

www.vmwerks.com
www.esstuning.com
www.my330i.com
sheefo2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 02:01 PM   #10
03 STEEL
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NYC
Posts: 453
My Ride: 03 330ci
I agree cut or roll the fenders your problems all gone then drop the *****, as far as handlin I've had no problem my car handles beautiful can't complain, good luck with it
__________________
03 STEEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 03:03 PM   #11
pimpslapmyride
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mt Home ID
Posts: 91
My Ride: 325i, M-925 5 ton
Quote:
what the **** are you talking about?
i am talking about not taking a hammer to your car yet- but if you want to, knock yourself out- staggerd on a 325i is weak- most tire places will let you get the same set of wheels all around if you give them the stag back- and rolling the fenders MAY not work, i tried it and is still ate the **** out of my wheels- everytime i hit a bump i could hear five dollars rippin off my tires- and afterwards you can still drop your car- but like i said, if you want to spend money on hack'n away at your car, go'ahead
__________________
[QUOTE]Tommycharles_arata@yahoo.com
2003 325i

Quote:
"(When asked why he never drank water) "Fish F**K in it."
- W.C. Fields
pimpslapmyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 03:06 PM   #12
Devonjordan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: California
Posts: 1,161
My Ride: e46 325i
noob question:By cutting the fenders....what exactly do you mean?
__________________
Hemingway said it best. “There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.”
Devonjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 03:10 PM   #13
LakeShow
Millennium Bankers Mortgage
 
LakeShow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Home of the Purple & Gold
Posts: 5,508
My Ride: is almost finished!
Send a message via AIM to LakeShow Send a message via Yahoo to LakeShow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devonjordan View Post
noob question:By cutting the fenders....what exactly do you mean?
Take off your tire, theres a lip under the fender there that people usually roll. When somebody says "cut" the fender, they take off the rubber behind that lip and completely cut it off
__________________
Supporting Sponsors:
* DPE * Euro-Spec * Technik * WestCoast Auto Sound *
LakeShow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 03:49 PM   #14
Hrvat
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Canada, eh
Posts: 2,775
My Ride: 02 Imola Red M3
The reason your rear tires rub is because your wheel offset is wrong.
__________________

PM ME FOR FREE SAMPLES

Quote:
Originally Posted by roronoah View Post
so 2004 bmw's dont come with a diff?
Hrvat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 05:31 PM   #15
Alex323Ci
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Huntington Beach -Surf City USA
Posts: 17,249
My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
You have a sedan..it doesn't have as much room in the back. So depending on your wheel's OFFSET, Size and Tire's Width all play a part. Having anyone of these not correct will cause the rubbing.
Although "rolling" the fender lips(which is better than cutting the lips out completely)most often is all that is needed, dependant on the factors of your wheel/tire set-up is more important.
So..I would find out the specs on your brand wheel/tire combo you bought to make sure it'll work when rolling. Otherwise rolling the fender lips will not help.
__________________
OE CSL WHEELS - OE CSL BRAKES - OE AUTOFLD MIRRORS - CSL TRUNK - CSL DIFFUSER - AA TUNE - AA PULLEYS - AS 40% SSK - BILSTEIN PSS9s
CF CSL LIP - NAVI - BMWPERF CF STRUT BAR - BMW GROUP N MNTS - GRUPPE M CF INTAKE - SUPERSPRINT - UUC BRKLINES, TRANS, RTABs - H&R SWAYS - 4.10 M-SPORT DIFF
Alex323Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 08:16 PM   #16
vmwerks
Past Site Sponsor
 
vmwerks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Valley Motorwerks
Posts: 3,632
My Ride: 330zhp Super Coupe
Send a message via AIM to vmwerks
Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpslapmyride View Post
i am talking about not taking a hammer to your car yet- but if you want to, knock yourself out- staggerd on a 325i is weak- most tire places will let you get the same set of wheels all around if you give them the stag back- and rolling the fenders MAY not work, i tried it and is still ate the **** out of my wheels- everytime i hit a bump i could hear five dollars rippin off my tires- and afterwards you can still drop your car- but like i said, if you want to spend money on hack'n away at your car, go'ahead
325i sport came from the factory with staggered wheels. Cars will understeer from the factory because it is SAFER than oversteer.

The important thing is to find out what size tires, what offset. If you roll your fenders without cleaning out the sealer you will not get a tight roll and the tires may hit anyway.
vmwerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 08:55 PM   #17
pimpslapmyride
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mt Home ID
Posts: 91
My Ride: 325i, M-925 5 ton
well however staggered they may have come they probably werent much, without even asking what size they are i can imagine they are flippin fat right now- i am not a geewhiz on tires, but i had 18s staggered- they sucked ass, and i tried to roll my fenders and they still didnt work- now i have all 4 around and they feel awesome, i can drive that biatch upside down at 65- i wouldnt piss your money away on rolling or cutting anything, just go back to the tire shop, explain to them that your setup isnt working for you, and ask for 19s all the same around, you will be hot to trot. and with the understeer oversteer thing, i think i am refering to over steer, if you drive on shity highways you car is going to want to go everywhich direction the pavement is laid, it sucks, and i wouldnt want that in snow conditions- bottom line, staggered on a 325i is pretty pointless.
__________________
[QUOTE]Tommycharles_arata@yahoo.com
2003 325i

Quote:
"(When asked why he never drank water) "Fish F**K in it."
- W.C. Fields
pimpslapmyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 12:58 AM   #18
vmwerks
Past Site Sponsor
 
vmwerks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Valley Motorwerks
Posts: 3,632
My Ride: 330zhp Super Coupe
Send a message via AIM to vmwerks
What your are describing is tramlining NOT oversteer.

Understeer is when you lose front traction first, oversteer is when the rear cuts loose first. Street cars will benefit from understeer since the first response is to lift off the throttle which will load the front tires giving them traction again. Oversteer is harder to recover from since you are fighting the weight of the car as it pendulums back and forth.... very bad! I set my track cars up to give me either neutral or slight understeer. As I get comfortable with the car I will dial in oversteer but just barely.

19's will increase tramlining. I agree the BEST setup is probably non-staggered 18's, it is what I am currently running on my coupe. Not everyone wants that... with the correct offset you can run 255/35r18's in the rear. If the tireis rubbing he is probably running a 35mm offset which is not agressive enough, 40mm MINIMUM to run a staggered setup on a coupe or sedan.
vmwerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 01:09 AM   #19
Deepeyes
Registered User
 
Deepeyes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 1,663
My Ride: Sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmwerks View Post
What your are describing is tramlining NOT oversteer.

Understeer is when you lose front traction first, oversteer is when the rear cuts loose first. Street cars will benefit from understeer since the first response is to lift off the throttle which will load the front tires giving them traction again. Oversteer is harder to recover from since you are fighting the weight of the car as it pendulums back and forth.... very bad! I set my track cars up to give me either neutral or slight understeer. As I get comfortable with the car I will dial in oversteer but just barely.

19's will increase tramlining. I agree the BEST setup is probably non-staggered 18's, it is what I am currently running on my coupe. Not everyone wants that... with the correct offset you can run 255/35r18's in the rear. If the tireis rubbing he is probably running a 35mm offset which is not agressive enough, 40mm MINIMUM to run a staggered setup on a coupe or sedan.
listen to folsom he knows what he is talking about!

on a side note it is possible to run a +38 offset with a 265/35 18' but you would most likely have to cut the fenders for it to work without rubbing issues
__________________
Eric
Deepeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 01:20 AM   #20
vmwerks
Past Site Sponsor
 
vmwerks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Valley Motorwerks
Posts: 3,632
My Ride: 330zhp Super Coupe
Send a message via AIM to vmwerks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepeyes View Post
listen to folsom he knows what he is talking about!

on a side note it is possible to run a +38 offset with a 265/35 18' but you would most likely have to cut the fenders for it to work without rubbing issues
thanks!

that's a BIG 18" tire!
vmwerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use