E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-22-2006, 10:18 PM   #21
snitzl3

My Ride: e60 LCI
Send a message via AIM to snitzl3
just bought these and literally just got them today (Friday Dec 22) and installed them..they are freaking sweet...they are the 39mm festoon from autolumination.com
snitzl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 07:33 AM   #22
2001bmw330

My Ride: 2001 bmw 330i
i was looking at autolumination.com and they have several 39mm festoon so what i would like to know how many leds are on the ones u bought.
2001bmw330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 08:23 AM   #23
johndddd

My Ride: 02 m-3
Quote:
Originally Posted by snitzl3 View Post
just bought these and literally just got them today (Friday Dec 22) and installed them..they are freaking sweet...they are the 39mm festoon from autolumination.com
Another member stated he has problems with the LED's. He stated that they are NOW "flickering" Just wondering because I have just ordered the 39mm, 9 LED bulbs.

Does anyone else have this problem. I noticed that the member that started this thread has never chimed in with any info. Why is that?
johndddd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 09:29 AM   #24
xuexun

My Ride: 318iA
Just to add, i had got a total of 2 pairs and they last approximately 3 months in total. I don't know why but they simply don't last. I ordered the 18 led cool white ones online from
http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/
They look nice initially but the bulbs burn out 1 by 1 over the month and in the end, i was left with only a very dim bulb. Tried to complain but the site say i am the first person to complain to him. Thus i tried buying a second pair but it is the same. They simply don't last long.

I have since given up and now back to stock yellow bulbs.
I won't deny that they are real cool looking though
xuexun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 11:08 AM   #25
trizzuth

My Ride: gobbles oil like a B
wordz of caution, i bought some of these sh*ts and put them in and got the warning on the dash like my tail lights were out... they even had resistors, i think my car rejected them... 2001 330i. i wish it didn't reject them cause they are hot fiyah!
Old 12-27-2006, 04:01 PM   #26
BiG BeeZy
OHH SNAP ITS BEEZY

My Ride: 2002 325i
Send a message via AIM to BiG BeeZy
Yeah they look nice ...
BiG BeeZy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 04:27 PM   #27
MTreyM

My Ride: MTrey, E60
....theres a pair for sale on the lighting forum.
Old 12-27-2006, 08:13 PM   #28
Lugnut2683

My Ride: Lotus Elise
Send a message via AIM to Lugnut2683
For the life of me, I don't understand this mod... sure it looks great, but I'm not trying to make it even easier for the cops to read my plate.

DIY Garage Build (Updated November 18, 2009):

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=297607
Lugnut2683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 12:06 AM   #29
dirsh
Hawaii 3.0

My Ride: sanbyaku sanjuu
I've been debating for the longest time if I should buy these. Finally gave in and ordered 4 of them in case they burn out

Quote:
Hello dirsh it appears that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks, why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums?
dirsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 08:25 PM   #30
Mango
Grand Superpatriot Sport+

My Ride: M54B30
Hey how'd you get your "adaptive brake lights" (the outer LED rings) to light up?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by invisible-z View Post

Here ya go! I love em'

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 09:25 PM   #31
rlee02135

My Ride: 2004 Stg 1 C32 //AMG
just a little warning, i had these in my c230k, and even with resistors, they flickered. so, i said, the hell with it, i dont care if it flickers.
i recently changed back to the stock bulbs and it still gives me the bulb out warning on the dash.
maybe the leds or resistors fried something in the car
Old 01-09-2007, 10:58 AM   #32
colombacho

My Ride: 325i
I had the same problem. i installed them and they were just flickering. do not know if they are suposed to do that. They also gave me a bulb out message so took them off, till i get more info.
colombacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 12:11 PM   #33
johndddd

Quote:
Originally Posted by colombacho View Post
I had the same problem. i installed them and they were just flickering. do not know if they are suposed to do that. They also gave me a bulb out message so took them off, till i get more info.
I have a pair of 9 LED bulbs that I tested for about 30 seconds and when I turned off the lights two of the 9 LED's burned very dim and never went out. You would not see this if you put the plactic lense on.

If anyone wants these bulbs I will ship them to you FREE.

I went back to the incandencent bulb.
Old 01-09-2007, 02:15 PM   #34
BoxCarRacer

My Ride: E46 & E70
^ ill take them if they're free. pm sent!
BoxCarRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 02:21 PM   #35
johndddd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxCarRacer View Post
^ ill take them if they're free. pm sent!
they are yours
Old 01-23-2007, 03:07 AM   #36
bimmer jon

My Ride: M3(Sold),2005 645ci
with the LED's flickering, it sounds very similar to what the LED tailights do if you don't flash your LCM. the LED's flicker like crazy. Its the LCM sending small electic pulses to the lights to make sure they are working. since LED's require less power to operate, the lights light up and "flicker" when the LCM sends out the test. i'm assuming thats what the LED's are doing in the license plate bulbs, hence, also why its triggering a bulb out warning. this might explain why the person who listed this or anyone with an 04 or above isn't having any bulb out warnings because they're LCM gives out weaker test pulse for LEDs. just a thought, could be wrong. if somebody confirms this, i might try the mod since i've done the LED tail retrofit and my LCM is programmed for them

i think the lighting looks cool but if i'm looking at a 3 month lifespan and light out put that deteriotes from day one, i'll wait for something more long term i wonder how lexus does it on the GS and caddy does it on the devilles. they must have built in resistors.

B l a c k . S a p p h i r e . M e t a l l i c . 6 4 5 c i
bimmer jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 03:14 AM   #37
bimmer jon

My Ride: M3(Sold),2005 645ci
with the LED's flickering, it sounds very similar to what the LED tailights do if you don't flash your LCM. the LED's flicker like crazy. Its the LCM sending small electic pulses to the lights to make sure they are working. since LED's require less power to operate, the lights light up and "flicker" when the LCM sends out the test. i'm assuming thats what the LED's are doing in the license plate bulbs, hence, also why its triggering a bulb out warning. this might explain why the person who listed this or anyone with an 04 or above isn't having any bulb out warnings because they're LCM gives out weaker test pulse for LEDs. just a thought, could be wrong. if somebody confirms this, i might try the mod since i've done the LED tail retrofit and my LCM is programmed for them

i think the lighting looks cool but if i'm looking at a 3 month lifespan and light out put that deteriotes from day one, i'll wait for something more long term i wonder how lexus does it on the GS and caddy does it on the devilles. they must have built in resistors.

B l a c k . S a p p h i r e . M e t a l l i c . 6 4 5 c i
bimmer jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 04:54 AM   #38
iseedipp

My Ride: SMG II M3 and H2
Send a message via AIM to iseedipp
Quote:
Originally Posted by deafboy View Post

thats one light mod I'll stay away from. I dont need to help people see my license plate as I speed by em.

looks nice though.

looks but like cole said why make it any easier to see your plate

CF front splitters|Gruppe M Ti exhaust|19" v715 Matte black with SS lip|Black out package|Phillips Ultinon 6k|6k Angel eyes|OEM LED tails|Pioneer Avic N2 and more

2003 White on Beige Hummer H2
33" toyo open country and dubs otherwise stock.

06 Yamaha R6
08 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT-8

Myspace/vivaladipp
iseedipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 02:05 PM   #39
deafboy

My Ride: 2000 323Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by iseedipp View Post
looks but like cole said why make it any easier to see your plate
I guess you could say looks...but I hate the look of license plates in general so I dont see why you would emphasize that....

but yeah, more over I just dont want to help people see my numbers when I'm drivin by em...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owtlaw333 View Post
You'll always be pretty in my eyes, Cole :luv:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissspyy View Post
i was like passed out while she's shoving the entire bar in my mouth. :rofl: :rofl:
deafboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 02:05 PM   #40
Jlevi SW
1.888.JLEVISW

My Ride: Vorsteiner 335i
Send a message via AIM to Jlevi SW
Next time we order our LED stuff we'll include a hundred sets of these
JL
Jlevi SW is offline   Reply With Quote