E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-26-2003, 09:59 PM   #21
rome5982

My Ride: 99 323i
Quote:
Originally posted by mod220
hey rome,

where did u get the sub in box for $134...how much was shipping? r u still happy w/ the setup...im getting my stuff hooked up this week....M
Well, when I said "new in box" I meant brand new sub still in the manufacturer's merchandise box. I built my sub enclosure box myself out of 3/4" MDF. Not sure if that was what you meant.

My sub is still jammin with no problems . I bought it off ebay and I don't remember the distributor's name, sorry. Shipping cost was $25 if I remember correctly. Good luck with your install...........you don't realize how bad the stock system is until you upgrade.

18"ASA AR1/H&R CupKit/ECIS CAI/Stromung Exhaust/Zimmerman Rotors/Aluminum Interior Trim & Face Gauges/G2 Calipers/Clear Corners/Autometer Gauges/Mtech Front Bumper/Chrome Grill/UUC Shift Knob/OEM Rear Spoiler/Painted Moldings/Silver Gauge Rings/JL Audio 12W3V2 & 6.5 Coax/BA 6.5 ProSeries/Kicker KX600.4
rome5982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 12:35 AM   #22
sfgr415

My Ride: IS300
Send a message via AIM to sfgr415
Man, screw JL......the w7 hits but there is no quality in it. If you want quality go with the MB QUART Premium line 12". Between RF and JL, I would say RF because the 12" RF POWER HX2 cost like $350-$450 and it has 2000 watts max and 1000 watts RMS! If you guys still think that the W7's hit more than RF then you obviously havent seen this RF.........(we have yet to sell one at my store).......http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/subwoofers/ .......the bottom two.........4000 watts max.....2000 watts RMS!!!!!!!!!!!!take that JL
sfgr415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 02:29 AM   #23
SterlingSilver
Bimmerlover

My Ride: 2004 325Ci
JL

I'm pretty much a complete newbie to car audio. I knew when I got my Bimmer that I wanted it to have a nice clean sounding system in it. I didn't know what that would entail though. When I began looking around, I went with an open mind since I knew nothing about car audio. I didn't know which brands were supposed to be better, so I was pretty unbiased.

I've just gone to different audio shops, talked to the guys, and listened to the stuff for about the past year. From what I have heard using my own ears, JL makes the best subs out there. Comparing JL's subs to RF's, the JL's sound much cleaner. Exactly what I was looking for.

Some of the RF's may have been a bit louder, but they sounded dirtier trying to get there. The W6v2's and W7's combined clean sound with high output the best of any of the subs I heard. That's why I got the W7.

Ti Silver 2004 325Ci - 5-speed - SP - CWP - Adaptive Bi-Xenons - Power Moonroof
Mods - M3 Lip Spoiler - Hard-wired V1 - 35% Tint all around - More To Come...
ICE - Alpine CDA-9807 MP3/CD/Receiver - Focal 136 k Front Stage - Focal 130 ca Rear Fill - JL Audio 10w7 Sub - JL Audio 300/4 System Amp - JL Audio 500/1 Sub Amp - Pac SWI-X
SterlingSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 09:39 AM   #24
Temonio

My Ride: 2001 BMW 325i
Fosgate...and here's why

Don't get me wrong, I think the W7's are best out there right now, but a JL setup is rather pricey. In my experience (ok so it's limited...I'm only 25, but...) JL's are pretty power hungry. And if you do a search on here, you'll see that all the pros recommend running the JL amp with JL subs which equals mucho dinero. The HX2 can pound...trust me! Yes the JL may be better, but I'm willing to give up a smidge of sound (and it's not much) and save hundreds on my set-up that can be used to further feed my mod bug!
Old 07-08-2003, 11:12 AM   #25
djabaley
does anyone read my p0sts?

My Ride: 325 slushbox
Re: Fosgate...and here's why

Quote:
Originally posted by Temonio
Don't get me wrong, I think the W7's are best out there right now, but a JL setup is rather pricey. In my experience (ok so it's limited...I'm only 25, but...) JL's are pretty power hungry. And if you do a search on here, you'll see that all the pros recommend running the JL amp with JL subs which equals mucho dinero. The HX2 can pound...trust me! Yes the JL may be better, but I'm willing to give up a smidge of sound (and it's not much) and save hundreds on my set-up that can be used to further feed my mod bug!
OMG I was just about to post this. JL subs are not intrinsically loud. They will get that way with lots and lots of power, but with minimial amplification they will not be as loud as some might want. Temonio is right, the JL's are better, but the rockfords are great when running off of low-budget amplification.
Old 07-08-2003, 11:22 AM   #26
Temonio

Re: Re: Fosgate...and here's why

Quote:
Originally posted by djabaley

OMG I was just about to post this. JL subs are not intrinsically loud. They will get that way with lots and lots of power, but with minimial amplification they will not be as loud as some might want. Temonio is right, the JL's are better, but the rockfords are great when running off of low-budget amplification.
I'm glad I'm not alone...After i posted this, I remembered that most of the people on here will slap their own mother for saying anything bad about JL. I thought would get voted off the island. Thanks for having my back!
Old 07-08-2003, 01:23 PM   #27
TX330ci
TX Dinan 3

My Ride: women
well speaking from experience, in my tahoe i had 4 12" top of the line rockfords and blew them about every other month. Now i have a 13W7 and it seems like that one sub hits harder than my 4 12's did

Dzoccu nun ti appreni, nun dir né mali né beni

TX330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 01:54 PM   #28
Temonio

Also from experience

I have never...I mean ever, had or heard of a "top of the line" fosgate blowing consistently without there being another problem involved. Just out of curiousity, what was your set-up. Which "top of the line's" were you running with what amps?
Old 07-08-2003, 02:26 PM   #29
djabaley
does anyone read my p0sts?

My Ride: 325 slushbox
Re: Also from experience

Quote:
Originally posted by Temonio
I have never...I mean ever, had or heard of a "top of the line" fosgate blowing consistently without there being another problem involved. Just out of curiousity, what was your set-up. Which "top of the line's" were you running with what amps?
The problem of subs blowing is more related to use, amplification paramaters, and most importantly sub box design that the actual subwoofer itself. Especially if they they blow on a regular basis that indicates that either over/underamplification or over-excursion due to poor box design was placing the drivers under constant stress which induced failure after a certain period of time. I'm not saying that RF is better that JL, I'm just saying that RF is a good brand if you want something inexpensive that does well of of low amplifier power.
Old 07-08-2003, 03:46 PM   #30
boynix

My Ride: 12 Volvo S60
simply put..

if u got the $ get JL..
if u wanna save some bux get RF..

but there are many many other great brands out there that can compete with w7s w/ less cost.

check some of these out-

Adire Brahmas
ID Max
elemental design A series (which i just ordered)

+ once a e46 330ci wh 0 re, now a Volvo S60 wh 0 re +
boynix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 07:12 AM   #31
m3on20z
Sh!t Happens.

My Ride: W203 dumped on 20's
Send a message via AIM to m3on20z
well if ure comparing top of the line JL which is a w7 can take almost everything......but thing is the woofer and box together is like 650-750.....and the box is big and heavy as hell....i had to get a custom box for my 2 w7z and i need 2 people to lift it out of my car.....but bottom line get a JL
Old 07-15-2003, 07:16 AM   #32
m3on20z
Sh!t Happens.

My Ride: W203 dumped on 20's
Send a message via AIM to m3on20z
AND JL is not made to be loud.....it was made for people who just chill and want a nice deep bump with their music.....