E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-21-2006, 01:45 AM   #21
JSilver

My Ride: ///M3 cb/ cin 6-spd
my car is an 2001, let me check.... It says 07/01 on the inside of the door. ****.. so much for OEM I can't spend $530 (LED lamps) + $145 for LCM = $675. **** that is a lot of money. And i'd have to pay for install of LCM too.
JSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 01:48 AM   #22
deafboy

My Ride: 2000 323Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSilver View Post
my car is an 2001, let me check.... It says 07/01 on the inside of the door. ****.. so much for OEM I can't spend $530 (LED lamps) + $145 for LCM = $675. **** that is a lot of money. And i'd have to pay for install of LCM too.
$530.... no

get the conversion kit from either Pacific or Circle BMW

last time I checked it was like $375

But yes, OEM is $$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owtlaw333 View Post
You'll always be pretty in my eyes, Cole :luv:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissspyy View Post
i was like passed out while she's shoving the entire bar in my mouth. :rofl: :rofl:
deafboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 01:53 AM   #23
xmltok

My Ride: 2014 Carrera 4S
Send a message via AIM to xmltok
OEM is worth it, and a bunch of resistors is ghetto
do it right, you'll be happy you did
xmltok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 03:46 AM   #24
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Sell those and get OEM. I have been telling people for the last two years that for a Coupe..OEM is the ONLY way to go.
Just so you know..the Brake Force Display(outter rings)will not work if your car didn't come with LEDs from the factory. Even if you get the LCM flashed for LEDs.
Old 12-21-2006, 09:10 AM   #25
SWINFORD
///PIITB

My Ride: Low Life Marie
Send a message via AIM to SWINFORD Send a message via MSN to SWINFORD
Thats a tuff decision

| Hypnotyzd FB |Tischer BMW|
SWINFORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 09:49 AM   #26
ROOFLESS

My Ride: has a 3.2L bag now
maybe the EAGLE EYES leds from BIMMIAN are better.... someone should make an ''OFFICAIL LED TAIL LIGHT'' thread with a direct comparison between OEM, DEPO and EAGLE EYE leds....I would but i really dont want to
Old 12-21-2006, 10:45 AM   #27
Dalton
I'm hot 'cause I'm fly

My Ride: goes wshh
Rule of modding: If you want it done right, go for the original. Personally I think any of these knock-off LED tails dont look that great. You can't beat the OEM ones.
Dalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 11:03 AM   #28
Kooser
Deutschland άber Alles

My Ride: '06 330CiC ZHP-Dinan
I'd go OEm too. More upfront but better satisfaction for the long. Plus if they are dimmer and not as bright as OEM then they are not as safe either - you want them to light up as bright as possible so as to scream at the dude behind you to stop and not rear end ya.

BMW 330Ci Vert ZHP - Dinan "Modded"

http://web.mac.com/kooser/iWeb/Koose...y/Welcome.html
Kooser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 12:30 PM   #29
Dan04E46

My Ride: '04 S54B32 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
Sell those and get OEM. I have been telling people for the last two years that for a Coupe..OEM is the ONLY way to go.
Just so you know..the Brake Force Display(outter rings)will not work if your car didn't come with LEDs from the factory. Even if you get the LCM flashed for LEDs.
Those outside LEDs don't light up at all? Or do they work just without the BFD feature?

DAN WAS HERE
2001 330Ci= Sold :(
2004 M3 coupe= Mine! :D
Dan04E46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 01:12 PM   #30
bmw_chuzo

My Ride: HPF M3
Send a message via MSN to bmw_chuzo
what about this? http://home.earthlink.net/~mmihld/smartswap.pdf

I found it searching around the forum

I am also interested in this LED conversion, but my LCM is 00'
Old 12-21-2006, 01:51 PM   #31
Dan04E46

^^^Interesting link. I've never seen that before. I'm going to try that route because after this and other threads, I'll probably be going OEM.

DAN WAS HERE
Old 12-21-2006, 03:48 PM   #32
Alex323Ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan01E46 View Post
Those outside LEDs don't light up at all? Or do they work just without the BFD feature?
They are not wired up by the harness. You can wire/splice them in with two wires and taps. You can even use BMW wires that plug into the connector for like $1.39 a wire. I wired mine up so they go on with the brakes all the time.

You would however need to wire up an inertia sensor "ABLAS" (name of the kit that sold to the link above(Cadent Tech) to get them to work in conjuntion with how hard the car stops(forward motion). But it's an inertia sensor, not the same as the stock BMW was that's hooked up with the braking system. That kit is good as you don't need to buy the connecting cable set. But a DIY way can be wired up/made to work with some resistors. I've had mine for over 2 years.
Old 12-21-2006, 04:40 PM   #33
Dan04E46

Thanks for the insight, Alex!

DAN WAS HERE
Old 12-21-2006, 09:46 PM   #34
JSilver

My Ride: ///M3 cb/ cin 6-spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
They are not wired up by the harness. You can wire/splice them in with two wires and taps. You can even use BMW wires that plug into the connector for like $1.39 a wire. I wired mine up so they go on with the brakes all the time.

You would however need to wire up an inertia sensor "ABLAS" (name of the kit that sold to the link above(Cadent Tech) to get them to work in conjuntion with how hard the car stops(forward motion). But it's an inertia sensor, not the same as the stock BMW was that's hooked up with the braking system. That kit is good as you don't need to buy the connecting cable set. But a DIY way can be wired up/made to work with some resistors. I've had mine for over 2 years.
Alex

Did you buy a new LCM with you OEM LEDs? Or did you buy a resistor of some sort like the one in the link above?

-Jared
JSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 10:59 PM   #35
chenja 330CI

My Ride: 330 Coupe
Unhappy

oh i didn't even know about the outer ring not being able to light up even if it's OEM... even after searching every thread on this forum blah... i just bought my OEM ones from one of our sponsors. oh well... i hope they still look good/ safe.
chenja 330CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 12:58 AM   #36
umnitza
877•486•6489

My Ride: E39M5, Sequoia
Send a message via Yahoo to umnitza
I'd like to clear up some misconceptions and possibly you got a set that we need to look at again. You are close enough that a drive over and let us see is worth it.

Here are some pictures of a unit we just last weekend installed:

Soon as the video gets posted on youtube, you'll see the output is exactly as good as it should be.

As mentioned, maybe we need to look at your set.
Old 12-22-2006, 01:04 AM   #37
330 HRE
Banned

My Ride: 330
Dang, the inside of the taillights looks horrible. If you open up your trunk and say you have a nice system, the backing on the DEPO taillights are NASTY!

I would go with OEM also if I were you.
330 HRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 01:10 AM   #38
umnitza
877•486•6489

My Ride: E39M5, Sequoia
Send a message via Yahoo to umnitza
When it's ready, this should be the link:
Old 12-22-2006, 04:07 AM   #39
Alex323Ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSilver View Post
Alex

Did you buy a new LCM with you OEM LEDs? Or did you buy a resistor of some sort like the one in the link above?

-Jared
I wired up three resistors inline and still have my '00 LCM. Works like a charm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenja 330CI View Post
oh i didn't even know about the outer ring not being able to light up even if it's OEM... even after searching every thread on this forum blah... i just bought my OEM ones from one of our sponsors. oh well... i hope they still look good/ safe.
I would not say the outter rings are not able to be activated. They can be hotwired/spliced to work when the center brake lights work(there is even a thread in the DIY Forum. They just can't be made to work with the ABS from the car. The car has to be designed for it. But as shown, you can easily get the inertia switch from Cadent that will trip the outter ring wires to make it show bright only when forward motion is quickly stopped. There are so many reasons to get OEM LEDs when buying for a Coupe. You are cheating yourself going aftermarket with what they charge. Only someone trying to make a buck off you would say otherwise.
Old 12-22-2006, 06:26 AM   #40
323i99

My Ride: M52 - S5D 250G
$675 for OEM tails w/LCM is worth it? It probably cost $25 to make, someone is getting incomprehensibly rich. I think I'll stick with non-LEDs for now...

Ti•Ag 5MT | Projectors w/AE | Smoked Lenses | Keyhole Delete | Blackout Grille
323i99 is offline   Reply With Quote