E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-26-2006, 01:30 PM   #21
Tangent_

My Ride: '01 330i
Do all H/K subs look like that? I have an '01 330i with the H/K sound system and it looks nothing like that under my back deck. I do have an aftermerket head unit though so maybe the PO replaced the subs too. I don't have any rattle either which I guess supports the theory that what I have isn't stock...
Old 12-26-2006, 02:06 PM   #22
Tangent_

My Ride: '01 330i
Mine's definitely different, but it still looks factory... Just took a quick cameraphone pic. It has a couple of larger speakers on each side instead of one large unit in the middle:

Old 12-26-2006, 02:26 PM   #23
qooldude

My Ride: 328i, M3 & Cayenne S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangent_ View Post
Do all H/K subs look like that? I have an '01 330i with the H/K sound system and it looks nothing like that under my back deck. I do have an aftermerket head unit though so maybe the PO replaced the subs too. I don't have any rattle either which I guess supports the theory that what I have isn't stock...
No, sedans like your 330i have two sub boxes rather than the 1 single enclosure in the coupes. My 328i has almost no rattle while my ///M rattling is driving me nuts.
qooldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 09:50 AM   #24
bmdubalicious

My Ride: 03 325i
is there any fix like this for a non HK system? or maybe something similar to the bolt fix for a non HK? Thanks in advance
bmdubalicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 12:47 PM   #25
AzCamel
OEM ///Member

My Ride: Soon To be Boosted
The rattle id due to the rear deck bouncing and not being properly secure by the retaining clip provided by BMW. The best fix is to buy the soft velvent tape, it is sticky on one side and the other is a thin velvet like material. After you line the outter edge of the rear deck then you can use a single nut and screw to secure the rear deck down to the front, it provides more support. When i did my rear system I removed the Rear HK subs all together, one becaue it was in the way, two because my new subs would make it obsolete anyways, and three, well there is no three. Any how I will take updated pictures of the bolt im taking about.

BTW my HK OEM subs with out the OEM amp is forsale.

02 M3 SMG Vert

Dinan 3.91 / Dinan SMG Software / Dinan ECU Stage 1 / Beyern Mesh 19's / BSW Sound / EAS LED Angel Eyes / ETC..

94 Supra FOR SALE, OR TRADE FOR NSX
Precision SP63 / Tial / Apex-i / TRD / Seibon / Do-Luck / CCW / Recaro / Eibach / Top-Secret / Greddy / ETC...

AzCamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 02:51 PM   #26
SammyV

My Ride: CB M3
Send a message via AIM to SammyV
nice writeup
SammyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 03:08 PM   #27
bmdubalicious

My Ride: 03 325i
yea pictures of what you speak of would be great AzCamel. Thanks.
bmdubalicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 04:28 PM   #28
PYRITE

My Ride: 1965 Ford Mustang
Great writeup!

Welcome "KRYPTONITE"...
PYRITE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 04:49 PM   #29
Technic

My Ride: '12 M3 & '10 CC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Duck Dong View Post
Has anyone tried dynamat? I had a similar problem in one of my E36's....but I also had a pair of 12's in the trunk.....I used dyanmat to cure it...

Just curious if it would work in this application....
That was my solution...

... use Dynamat to cover the whole underside of the rear shelf cover panel (1), specially the rear plastic vents (2) close to the rear window. I used thin strips of Dynamat under each individual vent section to make the whole cover panel assembly heavier, thus less vibration, no rattling at all.

Even there is some Dynamat in the rear speaker's grilles (9) (in the Harman Kardon aluminum-look strip) that I found that they rattled a little bit after installing the Stealthboxes.

No more rattles at all from the rear shelf. The same at the front door panels, Dynamat completely the suckers too:

Technic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 02:38 AM   #30
vids_blk323Ci
• DFW •

My Ride: JB 323Ci • SP • PP
Send a message via AIM to vids_blk323Ci
Technic,

What components u running, on the door panels. And rear for that matter.

Dinan Stage I S/W | ACS RSB | ///M FSB |UUC TMEs & Pulleys |Ate Slotted Discs | ScanGuageII | RockyMounts MTB Carrrier | OEM Rear Clears | LED Euro City Lights & Rear Fogs | Two-Tone Suede DIY | ACS Pedals | Bimmian Gauge Rings & M3 Face | Smoked Frnt Corners w/ Luxeon LEDs | EAS CF Roundels | JLevi Ti CF trim | Blk Suede shift/ e-brake boots | ECS Smoked Frnt Bumper Reflectors | DICE Duo
vids_blk323Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 10:52 AM   #31
Cruzer03

My Ride: 03.5 M3 JB/IR 11.5M3
I will like to know how to stop the rattle from the muffler heat shield.
Cruzer03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 09:32 AM   #32
Lugnut2683

My Ride: Lotus Elise
Send a message via AIM to Lugnut2683
Is the HK sub tapped off from the rear deck speakers? My sub is not working any longer... I test the sub itself and it works, but it is not receiving audio from the head unit. I think that when I put the batting in there, I may have disconnected some wires connecting the subs to the rear deck speakers. This is the only conclusion I have come to since my sub stopped working... any of you have experienced this problem?

DIY Garage Build (Updated November 18, 2009):

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=297607
Lugnut2683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 09:53 AM   #33
Technic

My Ride: '12 M3 & '10 CC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugnut2683 View Post
Is the HK sub tapped off from the rear deck speakers? My sub is not working any longer... I test the sub itself and it works, but it is not receiving audio from the head unit. I think that when I put the batting in there, I may have disconnected some wires connecting the subs to the rear deck speakers. This is the only conclusion I have come to since my sub stopped working... any of you have experienced this problem?
OEM subs are driven by theit own/separate miniamp. Check it out, that's where your problem must be...
Technic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 03:50 PM   #34
DSC OFF

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
Thank you soooo much. I performed this fix a couple days ago and everything went exactly like you said. It was easy and the rattle is completely gone. I think the bass sounds a little crisper even.

For you to go out of your way like that for the benefit of others and get nothing in return renews my faith in humans. (Not to get to cheezy or anything)

Now if I could just get my AM radio reception to work.......
DSC OFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 03:55 PM   #35
PYRITE

My Ride: 1965 Ford Mustang
This works well also!

Welcome "KRYPTONITE"...
PYRITE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 02:53 PM   #36
Fury

My Ride: 325 Ci
The dealer's fix never did work for me. I finally broke down and took a shot at fixing this myself. Now I hate that I waited!

Since the goal is to stop the deck itself from resonating I used the bolt method. It never made sense to add more insulation. All that does is deaden the sound. The bolt method worked like a charm. I found some of the dealer’s old insulation, now unglued, under the deck. I took a piece of that to cushion the bolt against the deck. Worst case the insulation will break down and I can replace it or adjust the bolt. I can’t see how I’ll ever worry about it popping through. Total cost, 70 cents for one bolt and two nuts.

I do wonder about one thing. When I removed the sub woofer it looked like someone had drilled holes in either side of the plastic housing. I see them in the pictures on this post but this car also appeared to have the dealer fix. Can anyone say was this part of the dealer fix or how the subwoofer came from the factory?
Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 12:37 AM   #37
nhe46

My Ride: 2004 325ci
For those that do not have the oem SUBS (fr. the HK system), use old t-shirts. There are DYI instructions on how to do this on this forum.

The key is to get the T-shirts/whatever you feel like using, allllll the way in so it pushes the entire deck up a little. Use a rod or something stiff and thin. Push the shirts so they end up right where the rear windshield and the trunk meets (at the bottom)...

To give you a larger gap, unbolt the 3 bolts (w/ covers) on the deck...

I did this last night, and it worked like a charm. I'm so happy.

F**king rattles!
nhe46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 12:03 PM   #38
mahall75

My Ride: 2001 ///M3
Great write and thanks for the pics. I put a pound of poly fill in and its seems to be alot better. Im adding subs so I may need more work back there we will see.
Old 10-01-2008, 05:22 AM   #39
greens

My Ride: BMW 330Ci
i will do this in near future. I put in sponges in small holes without removing hk sub. It was pain in the ass to get sponges in through that small holes. Maybe next weekend or one after I'll remove sub and put in lots of sponges to keep that deck without rattle.

What do you think about sponges? is it ok material?
greens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 06:35 PM   #40
AdVERS

My Ride: 2004 bmw 330ci
thanks a millions for the info, finally i can turn on my stereo and not cringe
AdVERS is offline   Reply With Quote