E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 30 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-24-2008, 11:57 AM   #41
Halston@BSW
Sponsor

My Ride: E30 X5 TJ
Great DIY! Thanks for the write up.

For those that want real bass and don't want to give up space our d110 is the solution. It is not a 6x9 replace(not the greatest subwoofer) but barely hands down past where the HK Subs do.

Coupe:
http://www.bavariansoundwerks.com/pr...ries-M3-Coupe/

Sedan:
http://www.bavariansoundwerks.com/pr...-Series-Sedan/

BSW | Audio Solutions for YOUR BMW
www.bavsound.com | 404-963-8857

iPod Integration | Plug & Play Speakers | Subwoofer Solutions | Satellite Radio | HD Radio | Bluetooth
Halston@BSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 08:22 PM   #42
BMW Loe

My Ride: is dirty
at the risk of sounding ghetto I just stuffed 3 tennis balls in the area you stuffed your things. It doesn't rattle anymore. The tennis balls are flexible enough to get in there, but apply enough pressure to prevent the two planes of the rear deck to vibrate and rattle. Quick, painless, and easy and took all but 5 minutes
03 330Ci sold
BMW Loe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 04:46 PM   #43
Shrimpanzee

My Ride: 2004 330Ci
20 minutes, 2 tennis balls, and 6 t-shirts later... and now I can enjoy my music ghetto free!

My first attempt with only 2 tennis balls fixed it 90% and the addition of the t-shirts sealed the deal.

I've put this off for over a year. I'm that lazy.
Shrimpanzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 04:24 AM   #44
Comanche5

My Ride: BMW 330ci ZHP
Its a testament of how shitty BMWs are put together that we need to stuff tennis balls between panels to stop the stock stereo from vibrating the rear deck. Works like a charm though.
Comanche5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 04:06 PM   #45
VladM

My Ride: M3 (E46)
I hear an annoying sound from this area, but I do NOT have a H/K sub. Will this fix still work for me?
VladM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 08:32 PM   #46
jose325i

My Ride: 08 BMW 135i
on certain notes, my 12" sub makes my rear deck visibly move up and down quite a bit...and this occasional rattle is DEAFENING!!! It even drowns out the subwoofer Gonna go try this tomorrow.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:52 PM   #47
Gordo_GT

My Ride: 2005 330Ci ZHP
Props to the original poster. The detailed images were very detailed and informative. The hardest part was unlatching the electrical connector to the HK subs lol. A tip for someone doing this project, make sure you push the sound deadening material deep into the edges to make sure the rear deck is not loose. The sound difference is amazing and feels like I just upgraded my whole sound system. Nothing but clean music.

Before the fix, my girl's 05 Altima's sound system was better than mine. Now, there is no comparison, the HK sound system sounds like it was meant to.
Gordo_GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 03:53 PM   #48
canuck_chuck

My Ride: 2005 325Ci
Hi - new to the Board, so bear with me, and thanks to the original poster for his detailed pix.

Bought my 2005 325Ci on the Easter weekend a month ago, and noticed the rattle right away. Spent awhile surfing this board and others looking for a fix (used to have a Z3 Coupe and an E36, so used to fixing small things by surfing message boards). Bought my $2 bolt and hex nuts last week, and this morning, went out to do the "bolt" fix.

Imagine my surprise when I yanked off the sub housing to find an 8mm bolt in the spot where the "bolt fix" is supposed to go:

It's holding up a white plastic brace, which I hope you can see:

Is it a factory fix? Or am I on happy pills? The last owner was definitely NOT an enthusiast, so he didn't do it. The car was built in Feb 2005. On no other thread did I hear that there was this kind of fix, so I suspect it's custom. Didn't work anyway - ended up stuffing in 3 old wash mitts .
Thankx.

Last edited by canuck_chuck; 05-17-2010 at 04:07 PM. Reason: added pix
canuck_chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 04:15 PM   #49
spencers

My Ride: 2006 330i sport
I did the bolt mod this weekend. Works great!!!!
3" 3/8" carrier bolt, crush washer, 3/8" nut.
$0.89 total
Old 07-09-2010, 04:37 PM   #50
yousharenow

My Ride: E46 ZHP
Send a message via AIM to yousharenow
So the bolt mod just pushes that white plastic clip together that holds the two shelving pieces together?
yousharenow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 06:35 PM   #51
yousharenow

My Ride: E46 ZHP
Send a message via AIM to yousharenow
Chuck- I have a 4/05 model and it has the same thing. That screw anchors down a leg of that white piece. I spent $3 on a tube of tennis balls and stuffed them in the middle. It was pretty obvious the that BMW was aware of this and changed production, as I had plenty of insulation and other stuff back there compared to the OP.

Tennis balls, doesn't get much easier than that
yousharenow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 01:50 PM   #52
Ivanhoe

My Ride: BMW 330 xi 2005
Excelent DYI
Old 02-07-2011, 04:52 PM   #53
dtrog325i

My Ride: 2004 BMW 330i
Does anyone think the skipass subwoofer method is worth the money? If not, I am going to go ahead with the tennis balls
dtrog325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 05:08 PM   #54
Str8down

My Ride: E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrog325i View Post
Does anyone think the skipass subwoofer method is worth the money? If not, I am going to go ahead with the tennis balls
HUH? 1 has nothing to do with the other. Even if you install the skipass sub, the rear deck will likely rattle even more.
Str8down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 07:58 PM   #55
dtrog325i

My Ride: 2004 BMW 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Str8down View Post
HUH? 1 has nothing to do with the other. Even if you install the skipass sub, the rear deck will likely rattle even more.
yes i know they have nothing to do with each other. i have just been wanting to get a sub for a while, but dont want to spend the money. i went ahead and did the tennis ball trick. worked about 85%
dtrog325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:48 AM   #56
Tutankhamon

My Ride: '02 Individual 330ci
Send a message via ICQ to Tutankhamon Send a message via AIM to Tutankhamon Send a message via MSN to Tutankhamon
tennis balls ftw
Old 05-23-2011, 07:19 PM   #57
joeenglish

My Ride: 2000 328ci
Does anyone know what the model number of the JL stealth subs to replace my HK factory subs ? Crutchfield said because of clearance concerns, nothing would fit . ( I appologize if I it appears that I am hijacking your thread) please forgive me . I am a newbie trying to get some bass. LOL!
joeenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 02:18 AM   #58
jasaldo_1

My Ride: 328ci
thankyou so much! just did this today with some insulating batts, took all of 15mins, and now i can crank that bass up where its meant to be!
jasaldo_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 04:46 PM   #59
WOLFN8TR
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 05 330CI ZHP
Just did the repair. Turns out BMW installed the plastic bracket in the photos above but didn't bolt it down, man was it rattling! I also stuffed three tennis balls inside for extra support, worked perfect. Took maybe 20 minutes to complete.

Thanks for this DIY...
WOLFN8TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:46 PM   #60
SpoiledBrat

My Ride: 330Ci zhp
Sorry to bump and old thread, but I just took off my sub and that white brace is there and its bolted very tightly in. The deck doesn't seem to be loose at all, it seems really solid.

I feel like the rattle is coming from the mid sized drivers on the side of the subs. Anyone know how to remove these?

EDIT: I did find out how to remove the "mid subs" but those weren't the problem. The problem was the deck rattling very far near the "mid subs". I guess it was so far to the side I didn't notice the play in the deck. I shoved a tennis ball on each side as far as I could to the side and I have no rattle SO FAR.

Thanks once again e46fanatics, you're awesome!

Last edited by SpoiledBrat; 01-05-2012 at 08:21 PM.
SpoiledBrat is offline   Reply With Quote