E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum

The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum
Use this forum to discuss anything in relation to wheels to tires to offsets.
Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-30-2006, 06:50 PM   #1
Jeuprx-8

My Ride: rolls only Michelins
Michelin pilot sport a/s... thinking about running year-round...

I currently have ps2 in the summer and pa2 in the winter, both from michelin. I am thinking about just running pilot sport a/s all year round on a set of 18x8.5 wheels. This way I could possibly get away with having 2 sets of wheels/tires and could rotate. Anyone have experience with Pilot Sport a/s? I am especially concerned with their winter performance, and also their summer grip. I know an all season tire will never perform like a summer tire or a snow tire, but I am thinking about just trying to see what it is like. Note: I have a set of track wheels on pilot sport cups, so no track duty. Just aggressive driving year round.
Jeuprx-8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-02-2007, 09:34 AM   #2
ME46Fan

My Ride: 325ci
If you have a second set of rims why would you run the same tire year round? That's a horrible idea, you could get inexpensive sets of dedicated summer/winter tires (Kumho SPT & Icebear w300) for around the same price as one set of PS a/s, and have better performance in all conditions. Now if you only had one set of rims and wanted an all season tire that was actually designed with snow in mind get the Conti ExtremeContacts. They are almost as good a true snow tires.
ME46Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 10:18 AM   #3
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
I've driven a couple cars with the PS a/s. One is a 2007 Maserati Quattorporte and the other is a 2001 Audi S4. This is my assessment:

They're a good tire for year 'round usage, but particularly if you have them on an AWD car like the Audi. The tires are soft enough to work on pavement when it's 20 degrees outside, and can bite into light snow, but they're absolutely worthless in deep snow and on ice if you're driving a RWD car. BMW has a fantastic DSC, but it doesn't make up for the lack of "bite" that it has on hard-pack snow, deep snow, and ice like you would get from some Blizzaks or Alpins. On the AWD platform they performed amazingly, but your car won't do so well as you have RWD. I think the PS a/s is better suited to people living in the pacific northwest, like Seattle where they just get rain and slush, and if there's a snow it only lasts a couple days on the ground. I'm not so sure Michigan is the place for them, and I'm pretty sure it isn't because Minnesota isn't.

They have excellent dry and warm weather grip for being an all-season tire, but like you said, you'll never get to where your Pilot Sports are. They're among the best a/s tires out there, so if you honestly want to get them, then you're making a good choice. Another good one would be Nitto's NEO GEN a/s tire. It's also cheaper than the PS a/s.

Although-this is just a thought here-but winters keep getting more mild up here, so perhaps going to a good A/S might be justifiable. I'm keeping my Dunlop Wintersports though.

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 06:54 PM   #4
Jeuprx-8

My Ride: rolls only Michelins
To make it more clear...

-I have new pilot sport ps2's on a set of wheels for the summer..
-I have new pilot aplin pa2's on a set of wheels for the winter...

I was merely discussing if the pilot sport a/s was "good enough" to meet my expectations of an all season tire. I drive my car about 800 miles a month, but I do drive spirited. This is basically to consolidate two sets of wheels/tires into 1. These wouldn't be used for the track, because I have pilot sport cups for that. It is more or less, light snow 26 miles round trip to school and work, then spirited driving all year round.

I work for a Costco Tire Shop, and I sell these all of the time... but I have never used them. I have used every other michelin performance tire and have been happy with them.

Also, I will never buy anything buy a michelin anymore, other brands are not as good of quality and they don't balance out nearly quite as well.
Jeuprx-8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 11:02 AM   #5
ME46Fan

My Ride: 325ci
Ohh... in that case go for it. The PS2 provides maybe 5-10% more grip over the all season, which you probably won't notice in everyday driving. I'd still hold onto the alpin's for days when it actually snows though, you'll definitely miss the 20-30% added grip they provide, and you'd be able to swap them out easily at work.
ME46Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 09:59 PM   #6
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
I would still say that you should forget about the a/s and stay with your current set-up if you do really spirited driving. I have a habit of pushing my car to the limit in the summer, and the limit for a set of Pilot Sports is much higher the PS a/s. Don't get me wrong-the a/s is a great way to go. If you don't push your car really hard in everyday driving, then go for the PS a/s tires and save yourself the headache. Just be aware that you'll be losing some grip in the summer and a lot of grip in the winter. Like I said, I feel they're better suited to FWD or AWD cars as opposed to RWD cars. I worked for a Maserati dealership, and have seen what RWD cars do w/ summers, a/s, and winters in every time of the year. Performance tires are good in the summer, winters are good in the winter, and all seasons are the medium. They're like Switzerland. But, let it be said that the PS a/s is probably your best choice if you're sick of switching wheels and tires every season.

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote