E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-01-2008, 06:55 PM   #21
BmwAudio32

My Ride: 2004 Imola 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by hexadecim8 View Post
Post resurrection!!!!

For HK system..... where do you get 12 speakers? You must be talking about the e36. 10 total in e46 w/ HK.

For OP,
Hey bro, did you have any issues running speaker line-outs when you first set it up? I'm trying to run line-outs from the wires that fed the now history factory sub/sub amp (), ie the same wires that fed the signal to the sub and I'm not getting a signal for some reason. After seeing your post I think I'm gonna just run leads from the right rear as well.

How does it feel to know that you didn't get blindsided by the HK sucker punch upgrade??? Cos I wouldn't know.

Um...E46 HK system has 12 speakers. 6 total speakers in front doors (woofer/mid/tweeter in each), 2 total speakers in rear doors (1 mid in each), 2 speakers in rear deck (one 6.25 inch woofer on each side), and 2 6x9 woofers in the HK "sub" unit/units (depends on if you have sedan/coupe). This is 6 Front + 2 Rear Door + 2 Rear Deck + 2 HK Subs = 12 speakers.
BmwAudio32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 03:07 PM   #22
profM3

My Ride: 2005 M3 ZCP
HK system on E46 cars
There is a tweeter and a midrange in the upper front door location.
2 subwoofers - rear deck
2 mid bass rear deck
2 mid range rear seat door/panel
2 mid bass front door low on the panel
2 tweeters + 2 mid-range high on the front door.
12 total.

Quote:
Post resurrection!!!!

For HK system..... where do you get 12 speakers? You must be talking about the e36. 10 total in e46 w/ HK.

For OP,
Hey bro, did you have any issues running speaker line-outs when you first set it up? I'm trying to run line-outs from the wires that fed the now history factory sub/sub amp (), ie the same wires that fed the signal to the sub and I'm not getting a signal for some reason. After seeing your post I think I'm gonna just run leads from the right rear as well.

How does it feel to know that you didn't get blindsided by the HK sucker punch upgrade??? Cos I wouldn't know.
2005 M3 Silbergrau Metallic on black; 6MT, ZCP, ZPP, ZCW, Nav, Dinan exhaust, two AR20 resonators in section 1, Autosolutions SSK, Fucy CSL diffuser, Intravee II, illuminated ZHP shift knob, stealth V1 install with ash tray remote, OEM first aid boxes under both seats, Ultimate pedals and more...
profM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 05:34 PM   #23
hexadecim8

My Ride: '04 ///M3
Ya I forgot about the little mid range speakers in the doors that are right next to the tweets. When I swapped out my door speakers I just left them unplugged and didnt use them. Thanks for clarifying.
hexadecim8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 11:23 AM   #24
BreakMyWallet

My Ride: B6 A4/ Mini Cooper S
no problem with me using the loc. im still using it right now and everything sounds awesome
Old 07-03-2008, 01:19 PM   #25
gen247

My Ride: 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by profM3 View Post
HK system on E46 cars
There is a tweeter and a midrange in the upper front door location.
2 subwoofers - rear deck
2 mid bass rear deck
2 mid range rear seat door/panel
2 mid bass front door low on the panel
2 tweeters + 2 mid-range high on the front door.
12 total.

I have HK in my car. Does anyone have a single speaker underneath the driver's side footwall?
gen247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 02:52 PM   #26
blksedan

My Ride: HATES thieves
im a newbie at system ..i dont understand that 2nd picture..."RCA'S TO LINE OUT CONVERTER LOCATED ON MY REAR RIGHT SPEAKER"???

rca from the cd player?? where is my line out converter???
Old 07-16-2008, 11:23 AM   #27
curly2004
Banned

My Ride: 2003 M3 Coupe
Send a message via AIM to curly2004
Can I get the sizes of each speaker?
curly2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 01:18 AM   #28
BreakMyWallet

My Ride: B6 A4/ Mini Cooper S
Quote:
Originally Posted by blksedan View Post
im a newbie at system ..i dont understand that 2nd picture..."RCA'S TO LINE OUT CONVERTER LOCATED ON MY REAR RIGHT SPEAKER"???

rca from the cd player?? where is my line out converter???
u need to buy a line out converter.

your rca's from your amp plug in to your aftermarket LOC and you tap your rear speakers for audio
Old 07-18-2013, 10:16 PM   #29
UltimatePeter

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330xi
lots

Quote:
Post resurrection!!!!

Actually, I just noticed in mine that there are 12...
I was quite surprised myself.

There are 3 on each side in the front doors = 6
Then there are the two back doors and the 6x9's = 4 more
Then, when I was wiring my head unit the other day, I noticed there are a couple more way down on the underside of the dash by your feet = 2 more
6 + 4 + 2 = 12

I was thinking to myself, "Why the heck would they put speakers there?"

Last edited by UltimatePeter; 07-18-2013 at 10:17 PM.
UltimatePeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:47 PM   #30
project330ci

My Ride: steel grey 02 325ci
BMW e46 amp wiring with pictures

Ressurection! Ok so im doing the same exact thing, but for the hi lo converter, which sub wire was which? (Which color is pos and which is neg?) i know u tapped the right sub since the color was the same, but if u know the other side thatd be great

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
project330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 04:36 AM   #31
project330ci

Anyone? Bump

Old 09-10-2013, 10:56 AM   #32
UltimatePeter

Hi folks, just updating with some things I've learned in my BMW 330 Car Audio Journey:

I have installed the Pioneer Head Unit and will say that it is so much better now!

I have also changed the way I hooked up the amp in the trunk from the way that is stated here, to before the HK amp (while also putting in a different amp and sub). I found that I got better range when I switched it to this way. Before, it sounded like it was clipping out more easily, just my opinion.
I have removed my Cap, because my new Amp from Hifonics is super efficient and I no longer have Headlight Dim (I am also installing a 200 amp Alternator).

Here is a video update on how to correctly install an amp by wiring your output converter before the HK Factory Amp:

I ran RCA's from the head unit, but the problem is, your signal is then too quiet. Because of the HK boosting signal to all other speakers in the car, the RCA pre-out on the Head Unit is too quiet. The RCA pre-out is set to match the other speaker outs from the Head. So, I went back to the Converter and it is working pretty good.
Old 09-25-2013, 04:59 PM   #33
project330ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatePeter View Post
Hi folks, just updating with some things I've learned in my BMW 330 Car Audio Journey:

I have installed the Pioneer Head Unit and will say that it is so much better now!

I have also changed the way I hooked up the amp in the trunk from the way that is stated here, to before the HK amp (while also putting in a different amp and sub). I found that I got better range when I switched it to this way. Before, it sounded like it was clipping out more easily, just my opinion.
I have removed my Cap, because my new Amp from Hifonics is super efficient and I no longer have Headlight Dim (I am also installing a 200 amp Alternator).

Here is a video update on how to correctly install an amp by wiring your output converter before the HK Factory Amp:

I ran RCA's from the head unit, but the problem is, your signal is then too quiet. Because of the HK boosting signal to all other speakers in the car, the RCA pre-out on the Head Unit is too quiet. The RCA pre-out is set to match the other speaker outs from the Head. So, I went back to the Converter and it is working pretty good.
Where did u find a high output alternator? Thanks!

Old 09-25-2013, 06:21 PM   #34
UltimatePeter

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by project330ci View Post
Where did u find a high output alternator? Thanks!
Hello There,

I got it off ebay from a company called Eagle Electric

HERE IS THEIR STORE:
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53...mtid=824&kw=lg

Their ebay reviews are all positive. I checked elsewhere and read some bad reviews... I don't know what I think about that.

I don't have the equipment to test if it is really up to the 200amp claim.
However, I guess I am satisfied with it. You can tell that the alternator looks more robust when comparing the two (BTW - I am editing the DIY Youtube alternator change right now). The reason I am satisfied is, I had a Kenwood 1800w amp that was always cutting out before, randomly off/on/off/on in the middle of a song, Suck! I now hooked it up after the alternator change, and now it has never cut out. Apparently Kenwoods are really touchy for correct power consumption and ohm ratings, etc... So, seems the new alternator is at least putting out more than the 120 that was factory OEM.

Last edited by UltimatePeter; 10-06-2013 at 06:51 PM.
Old 01-02-2014, 01:55 AM   #35
phoopsta
Modded ///Member

My Ride: 02 330xi 3-pedal
I know this is a veryyy old thread. But my remote wire on the hk system wont turn on my amp. I can run a 12v line from battery to amp and thats what gets the amp and subs going.

For remote I am tapping into the white wire everyone says to.. but it wont activate the ampb... gr....

Last edited by phoopsta; 01-02-2014 at 01:57 AM.
phoopsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 07:59 AM   #36
UltimatePeter

So, is it also not turning the HK amp on? I once had an issue where nothing was turning on. It turned out I had that remote wire touching part of my trunk chassis.
Old 01-02-2014, 11:47 AM   #37
phoopsta
Modded ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatePeter View Post
So, is it also not turning the HK amp on? I once had an issue where nothing was turning on. It turned out I had that remote wire touching part of my trunk chassis.
the hk amp is turning on great. Great sound, amp and subs work great!!! So i know i did do the rca conversion right ( before hk amp) Just the remote wire wont turn on the amp. And I dont feel like switching my amp on and off all the time.

my rca line coverter needs a 12v connection (hooked it up via batteryy) and the other side comes out a remote line... which confused me why a remote line came out of the converter.... im just confused 0.o
Old 01-02-2014, 11:49 AM   #38
phoopsta
Modded ///Member

Cause there wasnt a remote line going into the converter