E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2007, 11:11 AM   #1
DMD

My Ride: 05 Phnix Yellow M3
Possible custom 10" enclosure for E46 avail to everyone

So I contacted elemental designs and they are interested in making a custom enclosure for the e46 that might be available to the masses. I am going to visit them next week, I was thinking of having them do a 10" side mounted above the battery compartment....or should I have them do a JL audio stealth box type of deal...I emailed them and they seem interested in catering to the E46's.
DMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-03-2007, 11:28 AM   #2
abefroman

My Ride: 2000 323i
Over the Battery Compartment for sure
abefroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 11:44 AM   #3
jackb

My Ride: E46 is Sold! E90 FTW
Have them do something like this, it's easy to do and fits perfectly,, my friend did this for me in a couple hours

jackb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 04:03 PM   #4
DMD

So they are going to build me a wooden stealth box above the battery compartment and ballpark pricing will be < $150.00. They will use my car as a model on Jan 13th, I will post pics once they make it....should be available soon after from what it sounds...We have needed something like this for a long time, stealth boxes at $300+ were way too much and the rear deck mount from bavarian sound did not seem like a good solution to me....
Old 01-03-2007, 04:14 PM   #5
abefroman

At $150 I'm in for sure. I have a sedan though
Old 01-04-2007, 02:13 PM   #6
325MChris

My Ride: 325 M Sport
www.autoacoustics.com !!! several
325MChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 02:50 PM   #7
abefroman

Autoacoustics.com is fine if you're in the UK, but to get it shipped here costs a fortune
Old 01-04-2007, 04:14 PM   #8
Halston@BSW
Sponsor

My Ride: E30 X5 TJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMD View Post
So they are going to build me a wooden stealth box above the battery compartment and ballpark pricing will be < $150.00. They will use my car as a model on Jan 13th, I will post pics once they make it....should be available soon after from what it sounds...We have needed something like this for a long time, stealth boxes at $300+ were way too much and the rear deck mount from bavarian sound did not seem like a good solution to me....
I would love to discuss the pros and cons about our system. Regardless of whether you buy ours or theirs. What parts of the system did you feel were not adequate or not up to par? Or was it designs or price that swayed your opinion. I always want to hear customer or potential customer feedback.

BSW | Audio Solutions for YOUR BMW
www.bavsound.com | 404-963-8857

iPod Integration | Plug & Play Speakers | Subwoofer Solutions | Satellite Radio | HD Radio | Bluetooth
Halston@BSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 04:40 PM   #9
325MChris

My Ride: 325 M Sport
i would sugest you get out the fibreglass then ! did my last enlsoure in weekend and now that i finally got the ski bag out im dorting out my new build
325MChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 09:46 PM   #10
dirsh
Hawaii 3.0

My Ride: sanbyaku sanjuu
BSW boxes look pretty good. I was thinking abot getting the dual box that hangs below the rear deck but instead I ordered a fiberglass box from wickedcas because it looks more custom. It's the same one I posted in another thread.

Quote:
Hello dirsh it appears that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks, why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums?
dirsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 01:08 AM   #11
DMD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halston@BSW View Post
I would love to discuss the pros and cons about our system. Regardless of whether you buy ours or theirs. What parts of the system did you feel were not adequate or not up to par? Or was it designs or price that swayed your opinion. I always want to hear customer or potential customer feedback.
You enclosures seem fine, but I do not want to hang something off my rear deck and looking for an enclosure that sits above the battery cover that doesn't take up a lot of space...to my knowledge you do not have such a product...
Old 01-05-2007, 01:19 AM   #12
l2dopel

My Ride: 01' 325i
any way of gettin 1 for the battery compartment and another on the adjacent side? maybe same fitment? :crossing fingers:
Old 01-05-2007, 11:57 AM   #13
DMD

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2dopel View Post
any way of gettin 1 for the battery compartment and another on the adjacent side? maybe same fitment? :crossing fingers:
I will take a print out of this thread for them so any suggestions you have just post them and I am sure once they get the measurements and they see an interest they will make them....the fiberglass might be mroe expensive, I will ask when I visit them!
Old 01-05-2007, 12:22 PM   #14
simsima325
'a certain moderator'

My Ride: Honda Civic
looks pretty nice i am sure u will keep us informed!
Old 01-05-2007, 01:20 PM   #15
Tknojnky

My Ride: 99 323i, K1200S, R71
I just installed my BSW deckmount box last night.. I was not nearly as impressed after the installation as before. The build quality is great, but I am not impressed with the "quick mount" system. There is nothing "quick" about the way this box mounts/unmounts...unless you have fold down rear seats. It is a huge pain in the ass to lift this thing up and try to bolt it up through the ski-pass. I had to have two friends help me lift it in to place, then jam a box under it just to hold it there long enough for me to get the bolts tightened. I also was really unimpressed with the ACE hardware mounting brackets. Nice.. I should have built this thing myself.

All that aside, it is a nice box, and is built very well. If you don't have time/skill/access to tools, then pick one of these up. It looks great, and hits really hard once you get it installed. Just don't plan on a quick install / removal. Also, consider the single 10" enclosure.. I am beginning to wish that I had gone that route. Mine is probably heavier then the complete unit that BSW sells though. I used two Infinity Kappa Perfect 10 VQ subs which have a 6.5" mounting depth. The reason I used those subs is because I already had one, and when I ordered the dual 10" enclosure, I picked up a matching sub. I had to fabricate some spacer rings out of MDF, but all in all it turned out very nice. However.. using a larger sub made this box really, REALLY heavy.

Anyway, I am not bashing BSW or this product. Both times I have dealt with them their customer service and products were top notch. I just want people without fold down rear seats to know that this might not be the product for you. If there was a way to reverse the mounting system, that would change everything. IF the "quick release" were on the front of the box (rear of the trunk) it would be a snap to put in and take out. I may end up tack welding some nuts onto the rear deck to make this work.

/thread hijack
Mods: H&R Cup Kit, TMS RSMs, Edge Motorworks RTAB shims, UUC reinforced transmission mounts, 3.46 Rear Diff, Brembo x-drilled rotors, TMS SS brake lines and caliper bushings, UUC TSE3 Exhaust, ECIS CAI, Shark Injector, HID Projector46s w/Predator Chromium + remote kit, Smoked turn signals, OEM alarm, Custom iPod hookup, 18" CSLs w/Goodyear Eagle F1 DS-G3s.
Tknojnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 02:47 PM   #16
Halston@BSW
Sponsor

My Ride: E30 X5 TJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMD View Post
You enclosures seem fine, but I do not want to hang something off my rear deck and looking for an enclosure that sits above the battery cover that doesn't take up a lot of space...to my knowledge you do not have such a product...
Yes, currently we do not offer that setup. However the space lost is really space that you never would use. I rarely stack something up so tall as it goes all the way to the rear deck.

User preference and I understand. Let me know if you need any help with anything else!

BSW | Audio Solutions for YOUR BMW
www.bavsound.com | 404-963-8857

iPod Integration | Plug & Play Speakers | Subwoofer Solutions | Satellite Radio | HD Radio | Bluetooth
Halston@BSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 03:13 PM   #17
jackb

My Ride: E46 is Sold! E90 FTW
Quote:
Originally Posted by l2dopel View Post
They are different fitment,
I thought of that when I was doing mine but I was worried about cancellation from the 2 subs facing each other
jackb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 05:07 PM   #18
r6vr6

My Ride: 2002 ///M3
Gotta do over the battery so you can save your trunk to haul beer in it.

I made this for my M with a 12" woofer.

I plan on making a couple of these to trade / sell for parts money. I will be building in the spring when the temp warms up. If anyone is interested and can wait unitl then PM me.

Details
1/2 wood 1/2 fiberglass.
Grey or black carpet / grille (or can use your material provided)
Around $375 shipped (there is a lot of time in the glass and sanding)

Last edited by r6vr6; 01-05-2007 at 05:17 PM.
r6vr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 01:37 AM   #19
dirsh
Hawaii 3.0

My Ride: sanbyaku sanjuu
Is there a reason why no one makes a box like that for the driver's side?

Quote:
Hello dirsh it appears that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks, why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums?
dirsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 08:39 AM   #20
r6vr6

My Ride: 2002 ///M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirsh View Post
Is there a reason why no one makes a box like that for the driver's side?
I haven't made one but it wouldn't be any more difficult. The passenger side just has more room to work with. I suppose if a person wanted 2 subs you could do one on each side. My 1 12" gives me plenty of lows though. 2 subs would be overkill unless your deaf
r6vr6 is offline   Reply With Quote