E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-18-2009, 06:11 PM   #1
joeyvaz

My Ride: '11 Cayenne GTS;
Advice for tuning system needed

So I installed my 5 channel amp, Clarion EQ, Diamond Audio comps, and a SVEN4 tapped into the factory harness before the oem amp. I'd like to get the most out of my setup. I want to know how do you guys tweak yours system (order of setting gains-LOC or amp first), amps on board filters (High and Low Pass), etc.

Thanks,
Joe

Last edited by joeyvaz; 06-18-2009 at 08:44 PM.
joeyvaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-18-2009, 06:31 PM   #2
98mustangguy

My Ride: 04-325i, 00-s4
mine is a audio control 4.1 in dash eq/line driver, into a audio contro eqs 6 channel eq, into audio control 6xs 6 channel crossover and a 2xs 4 channel crossover, into a soundstream 4 chanel piccasso amp for fronts, piccasso 4 channel for rears, soundstream tarantula for subs, dynaudio and vifa speakers front and rear custom mounted into factory locations reaimed, 3 jl 12w6 subs. the crossovers handle the speaker control, 6xs set for mids, low,sub 2 xs set for low/mid-high. tweets,mid run off passive crossovers. eq tuned for best sound response in car, 4.1 in dash allows on the fly general eq range boosts and bass boost. this is way beyond what your doing so i would for you just use the amps built in crossovers and passive crossovers.
98mustangguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 06:38 PM   #3
98mustangguy

srry misread ok set loc gain(loc probably not needed though), then set amp gain, sub channel low pass 90-120hz, other channels high pass 120, thats a starting point you will have to tweak as you go to get the best sound and balance from all speakers and all types of music. usually on component passive crossovers i use the-3db or -6db on the tweets to tone them down a bit, to bright of highs give me a wicked headache.
Old 06-18-2009, 08:42 PM   #4
joeyvaz

My Ride: '11 Cayenne GTS;
i have the crossovers set to 0, i tweak with the EQ. (which I forgot to mention originally) The amp is set to full range on the front channels. Sounds pretty good, but I know there is more tweaking that can make the system sound even better. In my S4, I have an Eclipse CD8455 with same amp (ED nine.5) running same comps and the sound is way better.
joeyvaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 08:44 PM   #5
98mustangguy

yeah same with my s-4, better car acoustics.
Old 06-18-2009, 08:49 PM   #6
wasp9166
ima touching member

My Ride: 04 330i jet black
Send a message via Yahoo to wasp9166
http://www.ehow.com/how_2306457_set-...amplifier.html

this is the way ive always done it

"if polarity comes from protons, does morality come from morons?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ330 View Post
"Mommy and Daddy are getting a divorce now because wasp9166 had to piitb with Mom."
wasp9166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 12:53 AM   #7
bigjae1976

My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyvaz View Post
i have the crossovers set to 0, i tweak with the EQ. (which I forgot to mention originally) The amp is set to full range on the front channels. Sounds pretty good, but I know there is more tweaking that can make the system sound even better. In my S4, I have an Eclipse CD8455 with same amp (ED nine.5) running same comps and the sound is way better.
Here is what I would suggest:

1. Set EQs to 0 or defeat
2. Set LOC gain
3. Set amp gain
4. Set xover points (if adjustable) 80-120hz is good for the cutoff between the front speakers and subs.
5. Adjust phasing. Easiest way to do this is to swap the +/- at the crossover. Go though all of the different combo's.
6. Adjust xover settings. Play with the tweet level settings
7. Tweak with EQ.

A well designed system should have minimal EQ adjustments. There are certain tricks. A slight increase around 4khz can significantly raise your image. With door mounted speakers, a large decrease around 150hz will clean up your midrange, especially male vocals. There is usually a standing wave in that area which causes mid-range mudiness.

Of course, these points will vary depending on your crossover settings, listening preferences, and speaker brand/size/location.
bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote