E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Diagnostic code

4K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  erikwillke 
#1 ·
Help!! I failed emissions a couple of weeks ago with a P0491 and P0492. These codes are both listed as unknown. What exactly does this mean? Does it mean that whoever wrote the codes on the sitcky on this site did not know them or they are "literally unknown" and require a diagnostic eval to determine the problem? The guy with Arizona inspection told me they refer to the "secondary air injection system" bank 1 and 2. What the hell does this mean?

I have a 2001 325i with 105,000 miles on it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#5 ·
Mine did too. I bought the car for at least $2000 less than I should have paid for it because the dealer didn't know how to troubleshoot the codes. After reading this and other forums I decided to get the codes verified and check the pump. When I touched the very short hose it disintegrated in my fingers. I bought a $0.30 piece of hose and she's all better now. :thumbup:

ew

#4 ·
Glad --dat u fixed the problem urself..otherwise u wd ve ended like me ..bouncing from 1 mechanic to dealer to ....and ended up losing $350+labor ...n the process...its a simple DIY ...but to dealers/mechanics its a mouthwatering stupid customer..'cause thy kno thy ll charge to replace the sec air pump; valve and vaccum hose which maynot even b needed n 1st place..and customers (like me)fall prey ..
sudeep

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.