E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > Polls & Surveys - Please Participate!

Polls & Surveys - Please Participate!
This forum contains "official" polls and surveys

View Poll Results: What is your transmission
Manual 238 63.81%
Auto without tiptronic 9 2.41%
Auto with tiptronic 64 17.16%
SMG 62 16.62%
Voters: 373. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-17-2007, 10:00 AM   #41
curious_george

My Ride: '02 325i ZSP
By the way, the BMW dealers around the D.C. area say that they normally only stock a few manual cars - that nearly all manuals are special ordered. That would be fine by me if I were buying a new car, but when I bought a used one it made it extremely difficult to find one equipped the way I wanted. To be honest, most of the sticks around were bare-bones cars - where the stick choice was made to support those brand prestige folks mentioned above (the ones that can just barely afford to get into a no-options 325).
curious_george is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 10:01 AM   #42
Ti330Ci

My Ride: M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by franz View Post
I love manual even when caught in heavy traffic. It's NOT that bad.
Correction. It is that bad...I have a stick shift car in addition to my BMW with step.. You just prefer the control of a stick and live with the downside.
Some make that choice...most don't.
George
Ti330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 10:02 AM   #43
curious_george

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ti330Ci View Post
Not really. It is what it is. There is brand elitism all over the world. In Germany a BMW trumps a VW for example. But if you want a car with more of a performance versus luxury orientation, buy a Porsche. The BMW has broad appeal because it is an amalgam of each.
George
Reading comprehension - the first post referenced why it was so hard to find manuals. The reason finding manuals is a problem is that BMW has become more of a status piece than a sporty driving tool.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:06 AM   #44
curious_george

...and whether a stick is 'bad' in traffic is a personal opinion. I have driven both extensively around D.C. (pretty bad traffic) and do not find it to be that much of a pain. Then again, my car is not a place to stuff my face, put on makeup, read the paper, or make phone calls. If you fall into this category, you will probably want a steptronic.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:07 AM   #45
Ti330Ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by curious_george View Post
Reading comprehension - the first post referenced why it was so hard to find manuals. The reason finding manuals is a problem is that BMW has become more of a status piece than a sporty driving tool.
Chicken and egg. Which came first and why? Why did BMW's evolve to their current status? Because that is how most prefer them. As to status..the same can be said for MB which are ostensibly luxury cars. Why? Because most don't want to play boy racer and gear jam to and from work and the grocery store...they prefer a bit of a luxury bias. If you go back in time, manual shift or standard shift cars were always the base model.
George
Old 01-17-2007, 10:09 AM   #46
Ti330Ci

Quote:
...and whether a stick is 'bad' in traffic is a personal opinion. I have driven both extensively around D.C. (pretty bad traffic) and do not find it to be that much of a pain. Then again, my car is not a place to stuff my face, put on makeup, read the paper, or make phone calls. If you fall into this category, you will probably want a steptronic.
I don't do the things you mention and am a long time enthusiast and prefer a step in my BMW. My daily driver is a stick shift. It sucks in traffic and anybody that doesn't agree is in denial...lol.
George
Old 01-17-2007, 10:20 AM   #47
bimmerchop

My Ride: spins 4
Send a message via AIM to bimmerchop
Quote:
I don't do the things you mention and am a long time enthusiast and prefer a step in my BMW. My daily driver is a stick shift. It sucks in traffic and anybody that doesn't agree is in denial...lol.
George
seems to me you seem to be the one in denial. A stick isn't bad at all in traffic, yes it is a personal opinion, but if you're any good/decent, or may I say comfortable, at driving a stick, it isn't as big of a hassle as you try to make it seem. People managed just fine for years driving stick in heavy traffic, in any weather, and still do in some countries where an auto is rare. The heavy traffic excuse is getting old

"A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster." - Jeremy Clarkson

euro.techniks

EPL | TiAL | SDR | APR | Stratmosphere | 034 | ASP | SPEC | Fidanza | STaSIS | H-Sport | AWE | H&R | StopTech | BBS

Last edited by bimmerchop; 01-17-2007 at 10:25 AM.
bimmerchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 10:25 AM   #48
curious_george

Quote:
Chicken and egg. Which came first and why? Why did BMW's evolve to their current status? Because that is how most prefer them. As to status..the same can be said for MB which are ostensibly luxury cars. Why? Because most don't want to play boy racer and gear jam to and from work and the grocery store...they prefer a bit of a luxury bias. If you go back in time, manual shift or standard shift cars were always the base model.
George
Mercedes Benz was always a prestige car - all over the world. BMW has much more humble beginnings. BMW's stated mission has always been to provide superior vehicle dynamics foremost. One need only look at the BMW motto - one of the longest standing in automobile history. Up until very recently, you could get a manual transmission in every range of car BMW made.

I think the comparison is flawed - a little research in the history of the two companies and their model ranges throughout the years would demonstrate this.

"Why? Because most don't want to play boy racer and gear jam to and from work and the grocery store..."

I am sad that you think that simply driving a stick is a boy-racer event. I enjoy the control in every facet of driving ....even going to get the groceries you speak of.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:39 AM   #49
Emanuel

My Ride: '00 Z3C/'07 Z4MC
Quote:
By the way, the BMW dealers around the D.C. area say that they normally only stock a few manual cars - that nearly all manuals are special ordered. That would be fine by me if I were buying a new car, but when I bought a used one it made it extremely difficult to find one equipped the way I wanted. To be honest, most of the sticks around were bare-bones cars - where the stick choice was made to support those brand prestige folks mentioned above (the ones that can just barely afford to get into a no-options 325).
Your first point I agree with. I have my cars serviced at the nearest dealership, and they asked why I didn't buy from them. I told them they were my first stop when I was shopping, and they didn't have a manual car in either model. In fact, my 325i was originally ordered and leased through them, and instead of offering it as a CPO on their lot they sold it at auction - because it was manual. The car is almost exactly what I would have ordered (I wouldn't have gotten the moonroof), and a somewhat rare spec; they'd have had a guaranteed sale if they'd kept it.

Your second point - this is a US perspective, which is why I give little credence to the auto=congestion comments; the rest of the world gets manual gearboxes for darn near everything, regardless of traffic congestion. There's a reason manuals are referred to as "standard" shift - it's how most cars are sold and how most people drive everywhere else. It's the US that fuels the demand for automatics in this world.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:01 AM   #50
jiggynites

My Ride: 97EK 00 E46 03 745i
Quote:
George
maybe your not a good stick driver maybe stick to what your good at. as time will go you will learn more and more how to ease on the clutch and this will make it so much easier to drive in traffic.
unless you have a full race stage 4 clutch or something driving in traffic is a piece of cake unless you're just old and have cancer on your left leg or something then I would understand.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:09 AM   #51
bimmer07
Banned

My Ride: //////////M
Send a message via AIM to bimmer07
I don't mind driving in heavy traffic everyday which i do. I dont even have to think about it either i just shift of course until there is no traffic then its real fun
bimmer07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 11:26 AM   #52
curious_george

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emanuel View Post

Your second point - this is a US perspective, which is why I give little credence to the auto=congestion comments; the rest of the world gets manual gearboxes for darn near everything, regardless of traffic congestion. There's a reason manuals are referred to as "standard" shift - it's how most cars are sold and how most people drive everywhere else. It's the US that fuels the demand for automatics in this world.
Oh - I totally agree. I just noticed that in D.C., a lot of the manuals I did manage to find were stripped, and that is definitely not what I was looking for (i.e. a regular non-sport 325i with vinyl seats). I also did not find many 330 sticks in the area that met my standard or being well maintained. That is primarily why I jumped on a very low mileage 325i manual with sport, premium, heated seats, etc. I am sure I would have found something else if I were willing to wait ....but that is the point. The manual 'inventory' is lower than I anticipated.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:32 AM   #53
Ti330Ci

Each will try to justifiy what they prefer. I have owned more sticks...and still do...and likely more cars then most on here and prefer a step in a BMW. As to driving ability...that's a laugh. What brings to mind another post on here about not being able to get a MT E-46 into first gear. Didn't read one substantive response which only reinforces that most don't know how to drive a stick. Getting any E-46 into first gear at low speed is easy...you have to double clutch and speed match to get the sycros to align.
But doesn't really matter because the people have spoken and why auto's abound and why clutchless gearboxes are finding their way into exotics.
George
Old 01-17-2007, 12:09 PM   #54
325bim

My Ride: 2003 BMW 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggynites View Post
maybe your not a good stick driver maybe stick to what your good at. as time will go you will learn more and more how to ease on the clutch and this will make it so much easier to drive in traffic.
unless you have a full race stage 4 clutch or something driving in traffic is a piece of cake unless you're just old and have cancer on your left leg or something then I would understand.
I can tell you that after reaching your 40's, have driven ~500k miles, all on a std, in many parts of the country, and a majority of those miles in traffic, you will probably come to appreciate an automatic w/some form of manual shift mode.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:54 PM   #55
xavi330i

My Ride: 2004 330i smg
I love my smg.
xavi330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 01:32 PM   #56
roots

My Ride: Toyota Tacoma
Manual all the way.. I drive a clunky truck manual, and I get around just fine in heavy traffic, and stop-go situations. My parents RSX has one of the best manual transmissions I have ever used; smooth and quick. I drive more comfortably with that transmission then any auto/smg/whatever.

Manual offers the driver complete control, with an auto you might as well sit in the passenger seat..

If I was one to drink coffee/eat/fiddle while driving I would get an auto, but I believe a driver should be paying attention to what he/she is doing.
roots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 02:12 PM   #57
curious_george

Quote:
Didn't read one substantive response which only reinforces that most don't know how to drive a stick.
Huh? Substantive response? The poll was on which transmission do you prefer and the accompanying post was:

Quote:
I say BMW dealer lots have too many automatics. Finding a stick is an arduous task these days. The only stick on the lot may be the awful color that no one wants. If this trend continues, the manual drivers are going to have to custom order their cars. Does anyone else see this as a problem/annoyance?
So how were the responses not substantive? Was it because everyone did not pop a flagpole for the auto you drive? Autos definitely are useful and have a place, but BMWs are meant to be driven - and to many that means a manual transmission.
Old 01-17-2007, 04:50 PM   #58
antzcrashing

My Ride: 2006 330i
the post was intended to have you list the transmission you own, not prefer, but i can see how that may not be clear.

Anyway i was surprised to see the high number of manuals (68 %) but i guess that makes sense seeing as this is a fanatics site.

I love to hear how passionate people are about their xmission of choice

antz~
antzcrashing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 05:04 PM   #59
StylGryCi

My Ride: looks fast but isn't
Monkey's can steer.

That is all.

*back on stock 17s, so sad.
StylGryCi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 06:07 PM   #60
davesurti

My Ride: 2001 S2000
manual all the way...

I don't get the problem with driving stick in traffic (besides laziness or medical reasons). I used to drive my 5 speed 325ci to NYC, and now I drive my 6 speed s2000 and 5 speed lexus sc300 without a problem.. never annoys me. actually, i've noticed an unusually large amount of manual cars in nyc.
davesurti is offline   Reply With Quote