E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-25-2007, 07:07 PM   #1
Persuit2002

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325i
Send a message via AIM to Persuit2002
explain my headlights to me lol

i am a new BMW owner ....this is a weird question but explain my headlights lol....i have the Xenon i noticed they are the high and low beams..... what are the lights next to them ...they only work if i pull the lever towards me ....what is the purpose of these lights ??...i am sorry if its a stupid question but i am new as i said ....used to having a Trans am lol ...

http://www.fquick.com/persuit2002

2002 BMW 325i sport package
silver w/black leather silver trim
Persuit2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-25-2007, 07:10 PM   #2
sillieidiot

My Ride: '06 AW 330ci
Send a message via AIM to sillieidiot
you my friend have bixenons. in which you have already describe are your lows and highs. when you turn on your highs, it opens a shutter and let's more light out. the inner lights are either used for flash to pass or drl's. hope that helps.

Have a lighting problem? Read this first:
Lighting-related Troubleshooting Guide
sillieidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 07:10 PM   #3
Staszek
Are we there yet??

My Ride: Now a daily drive
Send a message via AIM to Staszek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Persuit2002 View Post
i am a new BMW owner ....this is a weird question but explain my headlights lol....i have the Xenon i noticed they are the high and low beams..... what are the lights next to them ...they only work if i pull the lever towards me ....what is the purpose of these lights ??...i am sorry if its a stupid question but i am new as i said ....used to having a Trans am lol ...
Those are for flash to pass someone, also can be used for daytime running lights.

Your xenons are bixenons, a shutter moves away to open them up in high beam mode.

Earlier models had single xenons so the light next to the xenons was the actual halogen highbeam.

Euro Delivery Date 8/14: 2013 E93
///M3 -6MT
Staszek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 07:12 PM   #4
rmatt8748

My Ride: a car
Send a message via AIM to rmatt8748
before 2002, bmw used those other regular/halogen lights as the brights

your car is equipped with what is called bi-xenon, where the xenon lights are both your brights and your dims

bmw left the halogen lights there for styling purposes, as well as to flash oncoming cars to have them slow down to get out of your way, or to warn them of police ahead. this is because it is bad to turn the xenons either on and off rapidly and repeatedly, and its also bad to switch from high to low xenon rapidly and repeatedly.

this could also be found through searching..

welcome to the circle of bmw owners, i hope that you enjoy
rmatt8748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 07:13 PM   #5
silver02325

My Ride: 07 Siverado
I have halogen lights only, could I find xenon assemblies from another 02 and just plug them in or is it a more complicated swap?
silver02325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 07:14 PM   #6
rmatt8748

apparently we were all answering at the same time
Old 01-25-2007, 07:14 PM   #7
Persuit2002

thanks sooo much guys.....now i learned something....sadly one of my xenons is dead....ballast maybe??...although i do here something trying to ignite it i think ...3 times then the headlight out light comes on....

Old 01-25-2007, 07:15 PM   #8
rmatt8748

umm for the xenon swap, its a different headlight structure, you could buy a used set, there are a couple for sale on here right now, and you could probably put it in, get the LCM (light control module reprogrammed at the dealer) and it would probably work.. i'd check with a few other people first tho too
Old 01-25-2007, 07:17 PM   #9
rmatt8748

umm, if its trying to ignite i belive that the ballast is in good working order, but that the bulb has burned out?

someone please verify

if thats the case, you have a perfect excuse to start modding, get some 6000k xenon replacements and some predator chromiums on there

it'll look sick

get tint real dark, as you can in florida, and you're on your way
Old 01-25-2007, 07:18 PM   #10
Staszek
Are we there yet??

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver02325 View Post
I have halogen lights only, could I find xenon assemblies from another 02 and just plug them in or is it a more complicated swap?
Yes you can, but it depends on which versions you get.

If you buy regular xenons its plug and play, and get the car reflashed to get rid of the lights out on the dash warning.

Problem is if you have a sedan there are to my knowledge no non-bixenon facelifted headlights. Putting the bixenons in will work but you will lose your high beams.

There may be a way to program it so it would use the inner halogens as your highs, or you could just hold the blinker stalk back and keep holding it while you need your highs, but I am not 100% sure.

///M3 -6MT
Old 01-25-2007, 07:25 PM   #11
Persuit2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmatt8748 View Post
umm, if its trying to ignite i belive that the ballast is in good working order, but that the bulb has burned out?

someone please verify

if thats the case, you have a perfect excuse to start modding, get some 6000k xenon replacements and some predator chromiums on there

it'll look sick

get tint real dark, as you can in florida, and you're on your way
ok ...first ...thanks for answering again
second...i was starting to think bulb cause it sounds like its trying to ignite it ...
third...what are these 6000k xenons...where can the be bought...and pics??..wats the difference

and finally

got done a few days after i got the car we tint windows where i work

Old 01-25-2007, 07:39 PM   #12
Staszek
Are we there yet??

6000k is a color rating for xenons

Some people get them because they look more white/blue then the oem and kind of gives the look that audi xenons do.

OEM xenons are rated at 4300k

While 6000k do look cool you trade off lumens and visability for the cooler color. It effects some people more then others depending on your sensitivity to blue light.

6000k has less lumens and the lighting is slightly harsher to the eyes but it will appear brighter, but that is only up close, distance vision is what is reduced.

///M3 -6MT
Old 01-25-2007, 07:40 PM   #13
silver02325

My Ride: 07 Siverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staszek View Post
Yes you can, but it depends on which versions you get.

If you buy regular xenons its plug and play, and get the car reflashed to get rid of the lights out on the dash warning.

Problem is if you have a sedan there are to my knowledge no non-bixenon facelifted headlights. Putting the bixenons in will work but you will lose your high beams.

There may be a way to program it so it would use the inner halogens as your highs, or you could just hold the blinker stalk back and keep holding it while you need your highs, but I am not 100% sure.
thanks for the help, Ill have to do some more investigating
silver02325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 07:44 PM   #14
rmatt8748

i dont belive that the lumen output difference is enormous. i dont have 6000k xenons yet, but when the stock 4300K's blow i'll switch them really quick

i guess the stock color is better for overall viewing distance, but how much of a difference it actually makes i'm unsure

6000k looks pretty sick though

i like the tint, next step should be getting rid of all the amber front and rear corners as well as the amber side markers

it cleans up the car really well
Old 01-25-2007, 07:50 PM   #15
Staszek
Are we there yet??

Quote:
i dont belive that the lumen output difference is enormous. i dont have 6000k xenons yet, but when the stock 4300K's blow i'll switch them really quick

i guess the stock color is better for overall viewing distance, but how much of a difference it actually makes i'm unsure

6000k looks pretty sick though

i like the tint, next step should be getting rid of all the amber front and rear corners as well as the amber side markers

it cleans up the car really well

4300k- 3250 Lumens
6000k- 2400 lumens
Halogens- 1500 lumens

They are still brighter then halogens its a combination of the lumens and the blue light that makes its a bit worse the halogens. Is it liveable yes sure.

I just couldnt deal with it because the blue light washes out to much in the rain for me, but some people are perfectly fine with it.

///M3 -6MT
Old 01-25-2007, 07:53 PM   #16
rmatt8748

staszek, when you say wash out, what do you mean? i've heard this term used a few times before and I think i know, but please elaboate..

thanks

ps. princeton is a nice town, i was there for new years
Old 01-25-2007, 07:57 PM   #17
Staszek
Are we there yet??

Quote:
staszek, when you say wash out, what do you mean? i've heard this term used a few times before and I think i know, but please elaboate..

thanks

ps. princeton is a nice town, i was there for new years
Thanks!

Basically have you ever noticed how when it rains the your headlights seem like they are dimmer and dont work as far, the rain actually reflects the light away, it does so more with 6000k bulbs.

///M3 -6MT
Old 01-25-2007, 08:32 PM   #18
rmatt8748

cool, thanks