E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-29-2016, 10:38 AM   #1
Rick4345

My Ride: F30 Mineral Gray
Final Stage Resistor

Hello all,

I replaced the FSR unit on my 2001 330Ci yesterday.

I thought I would share my experience and hopefully help someone else.

First of all. Be patient. Second, watch Solidjake's video before you even attempt this. It took me a little while because I am 56 years old, 5'11" and 225 pounds. Basically, It was the equivalent of trying to cram 20 pounds of s@@t in a ten pound bag. I'm sure that working on a concrete floor of an unheated garage in the middle of an Illinois winter didn't make it easier.

The unit itself is located between the firewall and the center console. It sits parallel with the firewall. Don't panic, you won't see it until you get the unit with the white cap off first. Getting at it was a challenge, but it can be done. I found a couple of things that helped me. First of all, the clip that is supposed to slide, it didn't for me. Just a LITTLE bit of WD-40 helped out with that and also installing the new unit. Also, a pair of needle nose pliers helped me get a grip to remove it.

The best advice is to make sure you watch the video. Everything is the same, it's probably a little tougher to get it done on a coupe versus a sedan.

Thanks again to Solidjake!! He comes through again!!

I wish I had pictures. It was enough to get my little self in there!!

Rick4345
Rick4345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-29-2016, 11:28 AM   #2
Solidjake
Zero. Leaks.

My Ride: '02 330i 6MT
Thank you Rick!! I'm glad the video helped you out and you were able to do the job. Open a beer and enjoy the money that you saved
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 11:31 AM   #3
PabloCruise

My Ride: 2002 325i
Uh, what video? No idea what a final stage resistor is, but now I want to know!
PabloCruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 03:47 PM   #4
Rick4345

My Ride: F30 Mineral Gray
Look it up on YouTube.
Rick4345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 05:24 PM   #5
Solidjake
Zero. Leaks.

Old 01-29-2016, 05:38 PM   #6
PabloCruise

My Ride: 2002 325i
Very cool! Thank you for your help! There is much I do not know on the E46...

Last edited by Solidjake; 02-29-2016 at 04:53 AM.
PabloCruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 07:37 AM   #7
Solidjake
Zero. Leaks.

Glad you learned something new
Old 02-22-2016, 10:16 PM   #8
GabeB

My Ride: 2002 325ic
Quick tip: I replaced it and the blower still didn't work and was about to order a new one. The next day, I decided to take another look at it and saw that it had become unplugged while I was wrestling to get the module in place infront of it. Plugged it in, tested it, and the blower was back on.

I got to say that this is a really uncomfortable position to work on the car and small hands help tremendously.

Last edited by GabeB; 02-22-2016 at 10:17 PM.
GabeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 08:45 PM   #9
Kye7

My Ride: BMW 2003 330xi
Can I ask what the "blower" is for? Is it the air coming from the vents? Mine seems a bit weak as well, but it comes to the windshield quite well.
Kye7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 04:54 AM   #10
Solidjake
Zero. Leaks.

Yes, the blower itself is a big cylindrical fan. The resistor controls that so if the air is weak replace the resistor first.
Old 03-26-2016, 03:59 PM   #11
gordo325xiwagon

My Ride: '01 325xit Step
Changed My FSR Today: More hints.

Pulling the glove box and lower trim is covered very well by the video.

I am 70 so I'm not as limber as some of you Fanatics. So needed some extra help in getting at these parts.

The first tip is to use a bungee cord and pull the black plastic heater duct up and outboard as far as possible. You still have to get your head in the lower right corner of the footwell to see anything, but with the heater duct in place you can't see anything.

Second deals with removal of the top torx 20 screw. Use the screwdriver setup suggested by SolidJake. Anything of a larger than a 3/8 inch diameter stem will not fit into the limited space because of gussets on the housing. The screw driver has to be very narrow.

Finally, the black plastic tab grips the fins on the side of the FSR, so when you push back the tabs, insure that the tab clears the fins as well as the FSR body. I used a yellow plastic trim removal tool... like a wide screwdriver to wedge in between the tab and FSR to insure there would be no bite holding the FSR unit in place. It also helped to use WD40 to loosen up old unit.

HOpe this helps somebody. But most of all kudos to SolidJake for the video.

1993 300 ZX Twin Turbo (360hp @16psi) // 1997 Jag XK8 Luxor Cruiser // 2001 325xit Best Blend of Ride and Handling

Last edited by gordo325xiwagon; 03-26-2016 at 04:00 PM.
gordo325xiwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 06:21 AM   #12
Solidjake
Zero. Leaks.

^ Thank you for the tips.