E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 27 votes, 4.26 average. Display Modes
Old 10-24-2009, 05:12 PM   #61
Devious1
Invalid User

My Ride: 330ci
Send a message via AIM to Devious1
ahh.. i dont think i've ever noticed a hydrolic cylinder, so i guess im good with just replacing the pulleys them.

thanks for all your help steve
Old 10-24-2009, 10:55 PM   #62
steve.325i

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devious1 View Post
ahh.. i dont think i've ever noticed a hydrolic cylinder, so i guess im good with just replacing the pulleys them.

thanks for all your help steve
No problem.

Just to clarify, with the non-hydrallic tennsioner, you have to buy the complete tensioner/pulley combo.
steve.325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 07:13 PM   #63
ssm1991

My Ride: 2004 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve.325i View Post
Just to clarify, with the non-hydrallic tennsioner, you have to buy the complete tensioner/pulley combo.
As mentioned earlier, get 11-28-1-435-594 to replace the mechanical tensioner pulley. Got it, measured it, used it. It's the exact part. No need to buy the whole combo.
ssm1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 10:34 AM   #64
steve.325i

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssm1991 View Post
As mentioned earlier, get 11-28-1-435-594 to replace the mechanical tensioner pulley. Got it, measured it, used it. It's the exact part. No need to buy the whole combo.
Very sorry. I did not read your previous post correctly. I did not mean to contradict your statement.

steve.325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 01:44 AM   #65
vsyucla

My Ride: 3251
If you have the mechanical pulley, and you just want to replace the pulley on the Alternator tensioner and the AC tensioner without buying the whole unit, you can buy them at Autozone. Duralast Part #231133. Cost is $29.99

The AC Pulley and Alternator tensioners uses the same pulley.

They are the same as the Dayco brand ones that others have said to work. The Autozone (Duralast) brand pulley are probably made by Dayco and put in a Duralast box. They are 100% identical.

The Dayco/Duralast pulleys look exactly like the OEM ones, except they have an orange color center instead of black. The Dayco/Duralast also says INA on them, which is the same as the OEM ones.

here is the link:
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/cat...dName=Duralast

Last edited by vsyucla; 12-29-2009 at 01:50 AM.
vsyucla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 10:21 AM   #66
BeemOn

My Ride: 325i
Guys,

First - please hear it again...you guys who have 'been there-done it-and posted the pics' are to be thanked endlessly. You are saving us thousands and I have the proof over and over on a variety of vehicles.

This is a 2003 325i.....
If I hear all this correctly on the tensioners and belts - I honestly believe I can change BOTH BELTS without even removing the fan/clutch assembly.(?) I have done this on other vehicles before with how you can work a belt over the fan/clutch blades (carefully) when at first glance it wouldn't look possible.

Am I also hearing that I can replace both tensioner pulleys ONLY - just by taking the belts off tension, removing the pulley center torx bolts and putting on the new Duralast pulleys p/n 231133 (for the mechanical version at least)?

If so, please let me know or if you have other questions on what I am asking - please let me know.
Again thanks a bunch.
Patrick
BeemOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 09:31 PM   #67
sarunas4

My Ride: 2004 330Ci 6spd
great pics! im gonna attemp to do this myself next week, im about to order the parts, but one thing I can't figure out is how many belts and tensioners are there to replace? is the alternator belt same as serpentine.. or these are two different belts? what about power steering belt? does that need to be replaced along with the others? i have 94k on my 2004 330ci manual. thanks for you help!
sarunas4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 09:41 PM   #68
DBear

My Ride: 2001 325i w/SportsPk
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarunas4 View Post
great pics! im gonna attemp to do this myself next week, im about to order the parts, but one thing I can't figure out is how many belts and tensioners are there to replace? is the alternator belt same as serpentine.. or these are two different belts? what about power steering belt? does that need to be replaced along with the others? i have 94k on my 2004 330ci manual. thanks for you help!

There are two belts. One goes to AC compressor and the other goes to everything else (i.e. power steering, water pump, alternator). There is one tensioner pulley and one idler pulley for the main belt and one tensioner pulley for the AC belt.
DBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 09:46 PM   #69
sarunas4

My Ride: 2004 330Ci 6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBear View Post
There are two belts. One goes to AC compressor and the other goes to everything else (i.e. power steering, water pump, alternator). There is one tensioner pulley and one idler pulley for the main belt and one tensioner pulley for the AC belt.
Thank you for your quick response!!! all clear now..
sarunas4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 03:39 PM   #70
zozobeemer

My Ride: 325i 2002
weird noise

Dears after i changed the water pump and the belts, it is as if the fan is making a huge noise when accelerating as if a huge amount of air is being sucked.

please any body help me
zozobeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 03:24 AM   #71
jeffmr

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Just a note to others doing this releasing the tension was clockwise not counterclockwise. Also, for those who have never de-tensioned a tensioner its turned just enough to release tension and then the belt is taken off with the other hand. I had a lot of difficulty getting the fan back on with the shroud over it. If anyone has some suggestions on a good way to do this that would be good.
jeffmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 08:02 AM   #72
delmarco

My Ride: 330i
Send a message via ICQ to delmarco Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmr View Post
If anyone has some suggestions on a good way to do this that would be good.
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ighlight=belts

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917
delmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 09:25 PM   #73
amuramoto

My Ride: 325 xit, 2003
Re: almario/termignoni, May, 06. Thumbnail #3.
Excellent write up. Only comment re possible typo error - to release tension on pulley; 16mm or 5/8 " socket must be turned CLOCKWISE. text suggested turning the nut "counterclockwise". I did so and foolishly broke the nut and have had to replace the tensioner.
amuramoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 12:01 AM   #74
amuramoto

My Ride: 325 xit, 2003
to Jeffmr, post #71:getting fan back on water pump: you might try placing fan without the shroud first and to determine if you can balance the fan on water pump shaft; turn bolt counterclockwise; the balanced fan should be stable and allow the threads to grab evenly. If there is any tension, it won't thread. Once you have the feeling of balance in the fan, repositioning with the shroud in place is less difficult. This worked for me.
amuramoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 08:08 PM   #75
bumere46

My Ride: E92
does anybody know the proper torque specs?
bumere46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 10:31 AM   #76
adrianpl

My Ride: 01 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumere46 View Post
does anybody know the proper torque specs?
+1
adrianpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:02 PM   #77
SWFan

My Ride: 2011 335is
I'm having a problem finishing up this project myself. On the accessory tensioner it uses Torx, when releasing the tension I didn't have to release a lot to get the belt off. However, now that I am putting the belt back on I'm finding I can't do it. What is happening is the Torx bit keeps slipping out of the hole. THe only way I can get it to stay in place is to use both hands and I can only hold that for a few seconds, then it pops out.

Any special technique you guys are using to get the smaller belt back on?
Old 12-20-2010, 09:15 AM   #78
sparra6872

My Ride: 2003 325i Sedan
Different way of doing this?

Wouldn't it be possible to skip the fan removal by de-tensioning from underneath the car being jacked up with the splash-guard removed. I mean couldn't you just bypass all that headache with removing the fan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by termignoni View Post
Remove 4 clips and remove cover. Close up of clips (pull pin straight up to release)

Remove to additional screws that enclose the fan blade. Facing the car on the left. Remove torx screw and unhook the two electrical connections. Facing the car on the right side, remove the pull-pin clip just like the first photo.

Remove the fan and fan shroud. The fan loosens up left to right when facing the car.

Use a 16mm or 5/8” socket wrench to release the tension on the tensioner to release the belt counter clockwise.

Remove dust cover from the top pulley and remove to access the tensioner bolts below.

Remove top and bottom tensioner bolts.

Install is the reverse. Here’s a diagram of the belt if you forgot to take a picture.

The hardest part is getting the fan back on. Be patience and remember to spin the fan right to left when putting it back on.

Enjoy and I hope this helps all..

Created by Almario
sparra6872 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 10:19 PM   #79
texlnghorn

My Ride: 323i
How do you get the bottom bolt off the tensioner? Since I can't see the bolt, I'm trying to do it by feel but it also feels like the pulley is in the way of the bolt. Do you have to take the tensioner pulley off by removing the center bolt with a T-50 torx bit before removing the tensioner bottom bolt?
texlnghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 08:45 PM   #80
johntrhodes81

My Ride: 2004 325i Wagon
In the parts catalog it shows mechanical or hydraulic tensioner. Will either fit or do some M54's fit one and some the other? Are they interchangeable?

Thanks, John
johntrhodes81 is offline   Reply With Quote