E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 28 votes, 4.29 average. Display Modes
Old 02-21-2011, 09:07 AM   #81
mps

My Ride: 2002 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFan View Post
I'm having a problem finishing up this project myself. On the accessory tensioner it uses Torx, when releasing the tension I didn't have to release a lot to get the belt off. However, now that I am putting the belt back on I'm finding I can't do it. What is happening is the Torx bit keeps slipping out of the hole. THe only way I can get it to stay in place is to use both hands and I can only hold that for a few seconds, then it pops out.

Any special technique you guys are using to get the smaller belt back on?
SWFan, did you ever figure this out? I'm curious
Old 02-28-2011, 04:31 PM   #82
jetblackmaverick

My Ride: parting out...=(
Super helpful, I am going to be changing my deflection pulley, tensioner, and all bolts tonight. thumbs up!
jetblackmaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 01:29 PM   #83
rando-defranco

My Ride: 2000 323ci cab
The tensioner is the lower pully and mounting hardware behind fan. This whole assembly will rotate clockwise to loosed the belt if you use the pully cener torx socket to turn it. The idler (or deflection pully) is up closer to the PS resevoir. This is held in place with one single long normal function (lefty/loosy) bolt. (Dont break it!) This will be offset if you have a mechanical (spring) tensioner assembly, or center hole if you have the later hydraulit tensioner assembly. Or so I'm told.
rando-defranco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 12:03 PM   #84
aurelius

My Ride: ZHP Sedan + 2 E30s
Quote:
Originally Posted by johntrhodes81 View Post
In the parts catalog it shows mechanical or hydraulic tensioner. Will either fit or do some M54's fit one and some the other? Are they interchangeable?
You have to visually verify which tensioner unit your car has.

If hydraulic, replace only the pulley (11-28-1-748-131). If mechanical, see post #65 or consider conversion to the more durable hydraulic unit, which runs about $100 from Pelican Parts:

hydraulic version upgrade: $66 11-28-7-838-797-M40
+ conversion kit: $33 09-0434-001-M40 (includes pulley)
aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 12:12 PM   #85
aurelius

My Ride: ZHP Sedan + 2 E30s
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFan View Post
I'm having a problem finishing up this project myself. On the accessory tensioner it uses Torx, when releasing the tension I didn't have to release a lot to get the belt off. However, now that I am putting the belt back on I'm finding I can't do it. What is happening is the Torx bit keeps slipping out of the hole. THe only way I can get it to stay in place is to use both hands and I can only hold that for a few seconds, then it pops out.

Any special technique you guys are using to get the smaller belt back on?
This photo from delmarco's similar thread (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=696330) may answer this question but only applies to mechanical-style tensioner:

Last edited by aurelius; 05-03-2011 at 12:20 PM.
aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 06:23 PM   #86
steve108819

My Ride: 2002 325xi
Thought I found mechanical tensioner pulleys, but i was wrong. Carry on.

Last edited by steve108819; 10-19-2011 at 03:40 AM.
steve108819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 06:34 PM   #87
mps

My Ride: 2002 325ci
I have a used hydraulic unit for sale. PM me if interested
Old 10-19-2011, 03:00 PM   #88
LTM

My Ride: 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by rando-defranco View Post
The tensioner is the lower pully and mounting hardware behind fan. This whole assembly will rotate clockwise to loosed the belt if you use the pully cener torx socket to turn it. The idler (or deflection pully) is up closer to the PS resevoir. This is held in place with one single long normal function (lefty/loosy) bolt. (Dont break it!) This will be offset if you have a mechanical (spring) tensioner assembly, or center hole if you have the later hydraulit tensioner assembly. Or so I'm told.
Ok I'm a bit puzzled about the idler pulley. I'm considering converting my mechanical tensioner to a hydraulic one as both pulleys need replacing. There is a kit which you need to buy along with the hydraulic unit, which contains (from the pictures I've seen) an idler pully with a hole in the center. So far so good, yet why does the pic in post #9 show a hydraulic tensioner with an off-center idler pulley? Is it just a mistake?
LTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 04:35 PM   #89
brayling

My Ride: e46 325i touring
I replaced my water pump and p/s pump this week new belts too, and removed both tension-er pulleys, popped of the bearing covers and filled with fresh grease, they both run smooth now, thus saving a bit of cash. New would be better but I'm skint so if I can save on anything I will. Ha
Manual trans, so slightly different set up but same principal just re-grease em.
brayling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 09:28 PM   #90
locomexicano

My Ride: E46 330ci
Send a message via MSN to locomexicano
Thumbs Up

Remove the fan and fan shroud. The fan loosens up left to right when facing the car.

Good Stuff man. thanks
locomexicano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 04:08 PM   #91
LTM

My Ride: 2002 325i
Just an FYI, the Hydraulic tensioner pairs with the OFF-CENTER deflection (aka idler) pulley, not the center-hole one as mentioned in previous posts.
LTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 02:39 AM   #92
HyeWarrior

My Ride: '03 325i --> '13 GTI
Question, is the ONLY way to get the fan out is to use the special wrench/tool?

Wow
So Amaze
Much Torque Steer
Such FWDoge
HyeWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:27 PM   #93
jojo12

My Ride: 330xi
HyeWarrior, although this comes super late, it never hurts to post for future readers. There are MULTIPLE ways to get the fan off, including the 32mm wrench and pulley holder tool, or a wrench and hammer, or a hammer and long screwdriver. A simple search will reveal the gajillions of times these techniques have been mentioned. Here's a good visual for the wrench/hammer approach, which is what I typically use despite having the pulley holder tool: http://www.beisansystems.com/procedu..._procedure.htm.

Last edited by jojo12; 03-05-2012 at 12:28 PM. Reason: Typo
jojo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 02:34 PM   #94
cool breeze

My Ride: 330xi
Can't believe there are no torque specs in this write up still..
cool breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:48 PM   #95
TEAMAFLCON

My Ride: 2003 325i
I'm going to try this myself. I'll report back.
TEAMAFLCON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 08:37 PM   #96
Sliver02

My Ride: 2002 325CI coupe
Great write up used today and very successful results with the right tools, thanks.
Sliver02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 03:27 AM   #97
wdiddy

My Ride: 330ci
OP's pics show he has a mechanical pulley but realoem pics only show hydraulic type. This is very confusing for noobs like me, I have never seen a pic of an e46 with the hydraulic tensioner installed and I ended up ordering the wrong part cause realoem told me I had a hydraulic type when I have a mechanical one. Put my vin in there site and it gave me the wrong info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic328CSi View Post
You know im pretty sure thats the delfection pulley. You can partially see the part# of the protection cap thats still left on it, 11-28-1730.... which is the part # of the cap that goes on the delfection pulley..

#15 is the deflection pulley (offcenter bolt), #17 is the protection cap

Take a look here for part #'s to match them up.
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...90&hg=11&fg=18
wdiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 10:51 AM   #98
AudioSavant

My Ride: BMW 330xi
Exclamation Changing Belts & possible Pully's in M54 2005 330xi

I know there are countless threads here that describe replacing belts, some with great photo's of the procedures. Does anyone have an absolute answer as to replacing the belts (Compressor & WP main), in an automatic T equipped car (2005 330xi), WITHOUT removing the fan assembly ? I see people write it is easy and possible, without detail, and other posts are deep into images & instructions for [manual T], with electric fan removal.
Just wondering if, with a little maneuvering belt replacement is possible, without damaging anything, w/o removing the fan ? Anyone know for sure ?
Pully replacement is the next step, and again with so much information out there, I don't see a positive answer anywhere as to the status of mechanical
or Hydro pulley in my car > (Impossible to see from the top, I tried in bright sunlight, with a big mag lite!) Anyone have hard answers please ? Dealer wanted $315 to change the belts...I thought he was kidding, I asked twice...
he wanted $70 for the serp. belt & $50 for the other. I quickly looked at another Bimmer site & said they are half the price & he got insulted... Hence, I hope to replace them this weekend, If I know what to order>
Which is the other question I almost forgot, as it relates to the tensioner.
Some postings show, Pop the dust cap, use a T50. Other sites say never do this as Torx are an issue (I can confirm that !), use a 16MM socket on the external nut, and other sites show I think a T60.. Anyone know again, with OEM components if T50 is a must or can you use a 16mm Socket on the serp section ? And the compressor ?
1000 thanks to all of you!
AudioSavant is offline   Reply With Quote