E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-28-2007, 08:00 PM   #1
james2538

My Ride: Sold
Arrow Corner Delete Mod and Fogs w/ High Beams!

I figured out the right way to do the Corner Delete Mod (with 0% chance of blowing your LCM) and to have fogs not turn off when using high beams (or flash)!

How you ask?

A European LCM. It's as simple as swapping in a European counterpart for your US version. You can even retrofit rear fogs (or use the switch to control something else) at the same time. They are available on Ebay UK from time to time. Just be sure it has the two foglight buttons (signifies rear fogs), has the dual dials (used to manually adjust the headlights for halogens, but can be flashed to xenon), or more specifically says ECE on the parts sticker (where US would go). Lights off, parking lights on, and parking lights/foglights on are the same on both US and ECE version.

For those that don't know what the Corner Delete Mod is, it keeps those ugly amber corner lights off when your headlights are on (they can still signal for turns). This is also the answer we have been waiting for, for those that have HID foglights. No more chance of blowing bulbs from flashing your high beams. Or if you just want to put out a ****-load of light.

Sorry to bore you lucky European fanatics whose cars come stock like this.

On to the pictures!

European LCM bought off Ebay (Rear Fog, Halogen Version)
Headlights and Foglights on, US Version
Headlights and Foglights on, ECE Version
Headlights, Highbeams, and Foglights on, US Version
Headlights, Highbeams, and Foglights on, ECE Version
Vehicle Signaling Left
Another shot

This version of the Corner Delete Mod requires no cutting whatsoever and can be taken back to stock at any time (with the switch of a part). Also it won't overload the LCM and cause it to blow and allows you to keep the parking lights. Downsides are if, like me, you picked up a halogen version of an LCM, you gotta take it to the dealer to get flashed (works fine, just indicates headlamps are out). One other downside is replacing your LCM with another vehicle's will cause the mileage tamper indicator to illumniate. This may bother some but, when selling the car just put the old LCM back in and you are good to go.

Does anyone know if they can code an old LCM to your vehicle to remove the dot? Doesn't totally matter as I will eventually purchase a new one to retrofit auto lights and rain sensor.

Let me know what ya think!

Last edited by james2538; 01-28-2007 at 08:03 PM.
james2538 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-28-2007, 08:20 PM   #2
DiscoStu
Sienna Red Coupe

My Ride: 2013 VW GLI
won't the mileage tamper indicator always be lit now that the cluster's mileage don't match either the new LCM or the old LCM (assuming you've driven your car since doing this)? This seems wierd to me, i didn't think the euro LCM had the corners off when not blinking, with headlights on.
Old 01-28-2007, 08:24 PM   #3
PYRITE

My Ride: 1965 Ford Mustang
Hhmmmmm this is fishy, I don't think the EURO one comes like that.

Welcome "KRYPTONITE"...
PYRITE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 08:28 PM   #4
james2538

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoStu View Post
won't the mileage tamper indicator always be lit now that the cluster's mileage don't match either the new LCM or the old LCM (assuming you've driven your car since doing this)? This seems wierd to me, i didn't think the euro LCM had the corners off when not blinking, with headlights on.
We will see come tomorrow! I know the mileage is stored in three locations (Cluster, LCM, and Main Computer). However, I believe it is based off of VIN # rather than mileage. Doesn't really bother me either way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYRITE View Post
What makes you say that? We could get some Euro members in here to verify this if you don't believe me. The pictures pretty much tell the story.

Last edited by james2538; 01-28-2007 at 08:36 PM.
Old 01-28-2007, 08:32 PM   #5
Owtlaw333

My Ride: 2009 Mazdaspeed 3 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by PYRITE View Post
Yeah, I remember a European member commenting about how their cars don't have the corner lights constantly on.

productionof1.com
|||_Buy my photos?_|||
Owtlaw333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 09:53 PM   #6
flyinj3x

My Ride: 03/03 330ci
Send a message via MSN to flyinj3x Send a message via Yahoo to flyinj3x
how far does you knowledge go with this? if i purchased a new one off realoem, would that accept my vin as original and be fine? one more thing to research..dang..

nice job btw. thanks for bringing this to my attn, new mod thrown in with eyes and leds. damn bmw mods.
flyinj3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 10:11 PM   #7
james2538

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinj3x View Post
how far does you knowledge go with this? if i purchased a new one off realoem, would that accept my vin as original and be fine? one more thing to research..dang..

nice job btw. thanks for bringing this to my attn, new mod thrown in with eyes and leds. damn bmw mods.
I would call the dealership up to verify this (maybe several, some are retarded). When your getting something thats as expensive as an LCM you want to be sure. I would assume it works the same way the M3 cluster people have retrofitted does, if it's new it just accepts the car's information.

Be sure the dealership understands you want a European version. Would suck to be sent the same LCM. Since your getting a new one, might as well get auto lights and rain sensor if you ever plan on retrofitting at a future date.

lol... it never ends. Lighting mods are still my favorite. Report back with what you find!

*Could a European member please confirm that you do not have corner lights.*
Old 01-28-2007, 10:30 PM   #8
Limited_Slip
Banned

My Ride: e30
I bought a euro LCM/LKM. My corner lights didn't come on at all. However, when I went to the dealers to have to "program" my LCM to my car they activate the corners light. Buying a new or used LCM requires programming beause of the vin and mileage
Limited_Slip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 12:11 AM   #9
robin325ci

My Ride: Helrot 325Ci
Quote:
*Could a European member please confirm that you do not have corner lights.*
euro spec 325Ci here, no corner lights. we have 5watt wedge bulbs on the high beam housings as our parking lights. but when one of the wedge bulbs is out, the corner light will light up as a backup and the dash will show the bulb out error
Old 01-29-2007, 04:24 PM   #10
james2538

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limited_Slip View Post
I bought a euro LCM/LKM. My corner lights didn't come on at all. However, when I went to the dealers to have to "program" my LCM to my car they activate the corners light. Buying a new or used LCM requires programming beause of the vin and mileage
So it is possible to program a used LCM to your vehicle to remove the mileage tamper indicator? Need to be sure they don't activate my corner lights otherwise it will defeat the purpose...

Quote:
Originally Posted by robin325ci View Post
euro spec 325Ci here, no corner lights. we have 5watt wedge bulbs on the high beam housings as our parking lights. but when one of the wedge bulbs is out, the corner light will light up as a backup and the dash will show the bulb out error
This might be the problem I am having. It has nothing going to the city lights (they don't exist on my car). So it must think that they are out. I need to wire up a resistor. On the Euro spec verison of the vehicle do the corner lights come on in the parking light function (second position)?

This could be why, my LCM might already be flashed for xenons (the seller said it was, just didn't believe him because of the two dials). I only have the bulb out warning and no strobing.
Old 01-29-2007, 04:34 PM   #11
james2538

GOOD NEWS!

Went back out today after driving some (adding mileage) and put back in my old LCM. As expected it acted just as it did before this mod. No bulbs out or tamperage indicator. This means the mod is 100% reversable. The LCM is based only on VIN number rather than mileage.

Here are some pics to verify (sorry off my camera phone) -

European LCM (Cut out the bulbs out message):

USA LCM (NO INDICATORS!):

So now the only downside to doing this mod:
- Bulb out warning (Could be cause of city lights or xenons)
- Mileage Tamper Indicator (Only when different LCM is in vehicle, gonna try and get the dealer to code it)

I will diagnose both this weekend, first will be easier than second. If I could get answers to the questions in the above post, it would help alot!

Last edited by james2538; 01-29-2007 at 04:37 PM.
Old 01-29-2007, 05:07 PM   #12
BimmerZealot

My Ride: N/A
I'm guessing there is a Euro version LCM with bi-xenons? Or are bi-xenons not available in Europe? That would solve another one of the problems.
Old 01-29-2007, 05:52 PM   #13
james2538

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerZealot View Post
I'm guessing there is a Euro version LCM with bi-xenons? Or are bi-xenons not available in Europe? That would solve another one of the problems.
Bi-xenons are available in Europe, the same exact options are available there as here. When picking up an LCM online or at the dealer though, you need to be sure you get the correct build date and LCM that allows Bi-xenons.

Those with special features (ie: auto lights, rain sensor, bi-xenon) will find it harder to get the right one without purchasing a new LCM.

Last edited by james2538; 01-29-2007 at 06:03 PM.
Old 01-29-2007, 06:00 PM   #14
BimmerZealot

My Ride: N/A
I see, thanks for clearing that up
Old 01-29-2007, 06:14 PM   #15
james2538

Just found this for those that are going to retrofit in Bi-Xenons and currently have (not sure the build date around 2002) or are retrofitting a Bi-Xenon LCM:

http://www.bigpatsfans.com/bixenon.pdf

For those wishing to purchase an LCM on Ebay, search for keywords such as LCM, LKM (German name), or light switch along with BMW/E46

Last edited by james2538; 01-29-2007 at 06:17 PM.
Old 01-29-2007, 07:12 PM   #16
flyinj3x

thanks for all the helpful info fellas.

btw james, i dont want the wiper feature nor the automatic lights anyway! ohhh and does bmw make an auto-steering wheel? looks like everything is going auto now. can you say jetsons?
Old 01-29-2007, 07:27 PM   #17
james2538

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinj3x View Post
thanks for all the helpful info fellas.

btw james, i dont want the wiper feature nor the automatic lights anyway! ohhh and does bmw make an auto-steering wheel? looks like everything is going auto now. can you say jetsons?
Depending on if you have them or not already, you might wanna get the bi-xenon LCM. That is something that is actually worth retrofitting.

Last edited by james2538; 01-29-2007 at 07:43 PM.
Old 01-29-2007, 07:31 PM   #18
flyinj3x

Quote:
Originally Posted by james2538 View Post
get the bi-xenon LCM
yep, got em.
lcm or leds? hmph or a car payment..
Old 01-30-2007, 05:56 AM   #19
robin325ci

My Ride: Helrot 325Ci
Quote:
On the Euro spec verison of the vehicle do the corner lights come on in the parking light function (second position)?
nope, the corner lights do not come on in the second position. they are only there for blinking. but when one of the wedge bulbs is out, the coner light of the side that is out will light up, and there will be a bulb out error in the dash.

here's a pic of what the euro setup is. 5 watt wedge bulb in the high beam housing

feel free to ask if you have more questions

Last edited by robin325ci; 01-30-2007 at 05:59 AM.
robin325ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 06:04 AM   #20
james2538

Quote:
Originally Posted by robin325ci View Post
nope, the corner lights do not come on in the second position. they are only there for blinking. but when one of the wedge bulbs is out, the coner light of the side that is out will light up, and there will be a bulb out error in the dash.

here's a pic of what the euro setup is. 5 watt wedge bulb in the high beam housing

feel free to ask if you have more questions
Hmm... The issue I am having is if the bulb out message is being cause by having no city lights or the xenons. When the car is in parking light mode I have the corner lights coming on. When the car is in low beam mode though I don't. Is this how it would work if the city lights were out?

Sorry for so many questions.