E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2007, 01:36 AM   #1
Mr.Ci

My Ride: 2003 325ci
Diy Disaster!!!

while attempting to install an in-dash dvd player in my e46, i ran into an obsticle:

after disconnecting the battery and starting installation of the head unit, i realize i need something that is located in the trunk. as i grasp the handle and squeeze, nothing happens. ah! the battery!. i reach for my keys, and... nothing. they're locked in the trunk... with no power to the power locks. as an added bonus, i only have one key to my vehicle... called every locksmith around, none could do anything with a beamer, except break the whole lock cylinder, but they wouldn't be able to do that for another week, minimum. so, I called bmw of manhattan and explained my situation. my options? well, i can have my car towed to the city, and have a replacement key in 2-3 weeks. or, i can ask the service dept. so, they ask me if i have a subwoofer behind my rearseat armrest, i say no. i tell him i have a metal plate (don't even know what this is for), but he tells me if i hit it very hard with a sledge hammer repeatedly until i am blue in the face and pass out from exhaustion, then i might be able to knock it open, however, it's rivited in 12 locations along the perimeter, several of which are stationed behind my seat which would have forced me to damage my seat, which is unacceptable behavior. what IS, however, acceptable behavior is putting a mettal cugging blade on my dremel and cutting the whole god damn metal plate right out of the car. so now, i have access to my trunk from the back seat. then it's easy, io just fish my keys out with a pole and flashlight and that's that. maybe i'll get a carbon fiber door with a lock in the metal plate's place. haha. next.
Mr.Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-02-2007, 01:38 AM   #2
easyman

My Ride: MKV GTI 4 Door
WOW that is incredible. What a day and i thought the 4hrs i spent re-adjusting my e-brake today was rediculous.
Luckily i have ski pass through.

2007 GTI 4 Door (MKV)- Current
2010 Acura TSX (cu2) - Retired
1987 BMW 325i (e30) Vert - Burned Down
2002 330i (e46) - Retired
ZPP - ZCW - ZSP - Nav - Bi-Xenon/85122+ - Mtech - 18" CSL - FSD's - 4300k Fogs-
Sig courtesy of fskarboe
easyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 02:09 AM   #3
Hollywood619

My Ride: 2005 330i ZHP
You don't have to beat on it with a sledgehammer. Do a search for ski pass removal. Drill the rivets you can see and then you will be able to remove it pretty easily. As an added bonus more bass will pass into the cabin from even a stock stereo. Take your time and dopn't get frustrated and break sh!t. It isn't hard at all.
GL
Hollywood619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 02:31 AM   #4
Hollywood619

My Ride: 2005 330i ZHP
I just thought of one other thing, maybe you can connect another car to your pos/neg under the hood and generate enough juice to use the trunk release. Worth a try?
Hollywood619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 04:41 AM   #5
325Mark

My Ride: is riding low!
Send a message via AIM to 325Mark Send a message via MSN to 325Mark
Hollywood, Thats what I would've done. Surprised BMW Didn't tell you that :S

'06 E90 325i 6MT | Full M3 Kit | H&R Euro Race | VMR V710 | Colour Kidneys

325Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 06:33 AM   #6
Narcisse91

My Ride: 325i
Why can't you just reconnect the battery?

EDIT: Nevermind, I'm being stupid this morning.

Last edited by Narcisse91; 02-02-2007 at 06:51 AM.
Narcisse91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 06:38 AM   #7
ChadE7320

My Ride: E90 / ATR-72
Send a message via AIM to ChadE7320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narcisse91 View Post
Why can't you just reconnect the battery?
Its in the trunk!!!! Dur
Old 02-02-2007, 06:50 AM   #8
Narcisse91

My Ride: 325i
Ha! Good point. It's too early for me to be posting on forums, I guess.
Narcisse91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 06:54 AM   #9
jbeurotech
Regional Sponsor

My Ride: 2000 E46 with 254K
If the hood is open apply power to the under hood terminals, other option is call me at the shop today and I will explain how to get into the trunk.

Seth Thorson
Service Manager/BMW Tech
JB Eurotech Service "Your Reasonable Dealer Alternative"

General Questions can be sent to appointment@jbeurotech.com

1. Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
2. Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
jbeurotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 08:35 AM   #10
e34m5

My Ride: 2k1, TS1 330ci
The rear seats fold down..what's the problem...or just plug in a charger cord into the cigarette lighter...
e34m5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 08:50 AM   #11
bimmer07
Banned

My Ride: //////////M
Send a message via AIM to bimmer07
either hook up another car to your posative and negative leads under the hood or punch out the ski pass thru and grab your keys...I did it once all it took was a hammer and a flat head screw driver to each weld not a sledgehammer till you pass out.

Also why would it take 2-3 weeks to get a new key??? it takes a day or 2 max for me and al i need is proof of ownership
bimmer07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 09:26 AM   #12
ca1242

My Ride: 2003 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeurotech View Post
If the hood is open apply power to the under hood terminals, other option is call me at the shop today and I will explain how to get into the trunk.
This is the first thing that came to mind. As long at the positive battery post isn't touching gound, it would certainly work.
Old 02-02-2007, 09:34 AM   #13
jbeurotech
Regional Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by e34m5 View Post
The rear seats fold down..what's the problem...or just plug in a charger cord into the cigarette lighter...
If it does not have a ski bag there is no pass through!! also if you hook up a charger to cigerte light with no battery hooked up there is to much load on the cicuit and will just blow the fuse.

Seth Thorson
Service Manager/BMW Tech

1. Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
2. Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Old 02-02-2007, 09:38 AM   #14
tim330i
Owner/Admin

My Ride: 03 Ti Silver M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeurotech View Post
That really works? I thought that without the battery providing a complete circuit it wouldn't do anything. Cool, you learn something new everyday here.

Tim
tim330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 09:54 AM   #15
Boosted_ZHP

My Ride: 88 325
Send a message via AIM to Boosted_ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood619 View Post
I just thought of one other thing, maybe you can connect another car to your pos/neg under the hood and generate enough juice to use the trunk release. Worth a try?
Thats what i was going to say.
Old 02-02-2007, 09:54 AM   #16
Tknojnky

My Ride: 99 323i, K1200S, R71
Removing the ski-pass is super easy! If you don't have a rear armrest, just pop the back seat out. If you do, just fold it down, rip off the velcro leather flap, smack it with a rubber mallet 3 or 4 times and your in. I'm not kidding, 3 or 4 smacks.
Mods: H&R Cup Kit, TMS RSMs, Edge Motorworks RTAB shims, UUC reinforced transmission mounts, 3.46 Rear Diff, Brembo x-drilled rotors, TMS SS brake lines and caliper bushings, UUC TSE3 Exhaust, ECIS CAI, Shark Injector, HID Projector46s w/Predator Chromium + remote kit, Smoked turn signals, OEM alarm, Custom iPod hookup, 18" CSLs w/Goodyear Eagle F1 DS-G3s.
Tknojnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 10:18 AM   #17
325Mark

My Ride: is riding low!
Send a message via AIM to 325Mark Send a message via MSN to 325Mark
I literally lent against mine and it popped off.

'06 E90 325i 6MT | Full M3 Kit | H&R Euro Race | VMR V710 | Colour Kidneys

325Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 10:18 AM   #18
jbeurotech
Regional Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim330i View Post
That really works? I thought that without the battery providing a complete circuit it wouldn't do anything. Cool, you learn something new everyday here.

Tim

Yup works great this is how we change the battery to aviod losing radio setting and OBC settings.

Seth Thorson
Service Manager/BMW Tech

Old 02-02-2007, 11:49 AM   #19
hotsas

My Ride: 2000 323ci
good thing I have a trunk release button if that ever happens to me
Old 02-02-2007, 11:55 AM   #20
white46

My Ride: e46 323ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotsas View Post
good thing I have a trunk release button if that ever happens to me
i don't think that button will work either when your battery is out since trunk release is motor operating. not like old cars which uses cabel pull.