E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2007, 12:31 PM   #21
Philbert

My Ride: 02M3|80 280ZX|87Yota
Quote:
Originally Posted by white46 View Post
i don't think that button will work either when your battery is out since trunk release is motor operating. not like old cars which uses cabel pull.

...that was the irony of this whole post...

Dinan S. | Clears | DiCE | OEM Alarm Retrofit | ACS Rep. Peds | DDEs

My Valentine 1 Hardwire | Remote Display Gauge Cluster Mod

Considering selling 2002 M3 Convertible (~38,000 miles) this year (don't drive it enough...). If seriously interested, PM me. SF Bay area.
Philbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 12:49 PM   #22
white46

My Ride: e46 323ci
they are talking about 2 different trunk release buttons.

the original poster was talking about button outside
Quote:
as i grasp the handle and squeeze, nothing happens.
hotsas was talking about interior trunk release button.
Old 02-02-2007, 01:07 PM   #23
3onDubs

My Ride: no
This happened to me before, but I had an added obstacle....I replaced the trunk key hole with a rearview camera and the battery wasn't grounded properly, so I had no power to pop the trunk using the key.

Also...I had a custom sub box built to fit my trunk perfectly....completely blocking the ski pass. I ended up reaching through the rear speaker holes (since I have them removed) and using a hammer (with a rubber handle) to push the battery ground back in place. It took forever, but once i heard that spark, I pushed the button and the trunk popped open....
3onDubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 01:18 PM   #24
TwoE46s

My Ride: Dinan 330ci & 325it
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeurotech View Post
Yup works great this is how we change the battery to aviod losing radio setting and OBC settings.
Probably the most useful thing I've learned in quite some time - so obvious, yet oblivious to it all. geesh. Thanks jb.......
17X8 BBS RXs & 225/45 Toyo Proxes 4s
Coupe:(sold)
Dinan "S" plus Throttle Body & Stg 3 Software
Dinan Stage 2 Suspension
UUC Shifter
UUC Underdrive Pulleys
Goodridge Braided Brake Lines
Michelin Pilot Sport PS2s on factory M Double Spoke 68s
Track Stuff - 17X8 OZ SuperLeggeras & 235/40 Toyo RA1s; Shroth Harnesses
TwoE46s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 01:23 PM   #25
jbeurotech
Regional Sponsor

My Ride: 2000 E46 with 254K
Your welcome you can also use this when you replace an alternator or starter just remove cable under the postive terminal and this will cut power to the under hood so you can work.

Seth Thorson
Service Manager/BMW Tech
JB Eurotech Service "Your Reasonable Dealer Alternative"

General Questions can be sent to appointment@jbeurotech.com

1. Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
2. Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
jbeurotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 02:08 PM   #26
rklages

My Ride: 325cic
Interior and Exterior trunk releases are both electric - doesn't matter which one your talking about, they both won't work.

Hooking another battery up under the hood to ground and the positive lead coming up from the trunk battery is the easiest way.

If that is not possible, pop out the back seat if you don't have the passthrough and there is a panel where the skibag would normally go that is made to pop out just by pushing on it and you will have enough room to take a coat hanger and reach the glow in the dark inside release handle!
rklages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 02:34 PM   #27
k3nmasters

My Ride: Is A Unicorn!
Send a message via AIM to k3nmasters
Quote:
Originally Posted by rklages View Post
Interior and Exterior trunk releases are both electric - doesn't matter which one your talking about, they both won't work.

Hooking another battery up under the hood to ground and the positive lead coming up from the trunk battery is the easiest way.

If that is not possible, pop out the back seat if you don't have the passthrough and there is a panel where the skibag would normally go that is made to pop out just by pushing on it and you will have enough room to take a coat hanger and reach the glow in the dark inside release handle!
My 330Ci doesn't have a glow in the dark release handle...

::05' S54 iR 6MT::

Ichishima-San, "Ferraris and Lamborghinis are like women that are great in bed, but not so great at cleaning the house or cooking."
k3nmasters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 03:13 PM   #28
justinrn21

My Ride: 00 323ci / 91 318is
If you have fold down seats, pop out your rear speaker and reach your hand in until you can grab the release switch. I did this the other week when I locked my key in the trunk. It's not a lot of work, but hopefully your arm is long and flexible to work in such a small space
justinrn21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 03:46 PM   #29
MeMW330i

My Ride: 330i
The solution to your problem and this is worth a bit is as follows: if you lock your only key in the boot (trunk) and have the doors locked follow these steps. Firstly you need a spare battery or power source. Get under the car and connect the power to the fuel supply. This will fool thw car into thinking the car has power and will enable the windows. Prise the door open enough and patiently use a thin, stury object to knowck the window down. Now you can climb into the car! When in the car you can do as suggested above and gain access through the ski pass. It can be knocked out with a firm fist! Perhaps it's years of karate, but you can do that with one punch. If you don't want to change the car in that way you can remove the rear speakers and reach in. If your lucky you might be able to reach the key. If your patient you may be able to fish it out with a wire coat hanger. If that fails remove the rear seat and locate the wiring loom (drivers side) it's on the same side as the battery and behind the plastic trim. In that there is a green and white wire. Cut this and use the fooling power source to give it power i.e connect pos and neg terminals across the cut. This is the boot (trunk) central locking. This will pop the trunk and allow you to retrieve the key! Now reassemble the car, get a spare key and tell no-one of you terrible mistake - that's what I did.
MeMW330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 04:37 PM   #30
sstainba

My Ride: 02 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMW330i View Post
The solution to your problem and this is worth a bit is as follows: if you lock your only key in the boot (trunk) and have the doors locked follow these steps. Firstly you need a spare battery or power source. Get under the car and connect the power to the fuel supply. This will fool thw car into thinking the car has power and will enable the windows. Prise the door open enough and patiently use a thin, stury object to knowck the window down. Now you can climb into the car! When in the car you can do as suggested above and gain access through the ski pass. It can be knocked out with a firm fist! Perhaps it's years of karate, but you can do that with one punch. If you don't want to change the car in that way you can remove the rear speakers and reach in. If your lucky you might be able to reach the key. If your patient you may be able to fish it out with a wire coat hanger. If that fails remove the rear seat and locate the wiring loom (drivers side) it's on the same side as the battery and behind the plastic trim. In that there is a green and white wire. Cut this and use the fooling power source to give it power i.e connect pos and neg terminals across the cut. This is the boot (trunk) central locking. This will pop the trunk and allow you to retrieve the key! Now reassemble the car, get a spare key and tell no-one of you terrible mistake - that's what I did.
Power to the fuel supply to enable the windows? Even if that is true... this seems like an extraordinarily difficult way to go about things.
sstainba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 04:40 PM   #31
sstainba

haha... this is the second time in a week someone has done this. and there are always a few people who say "just let the seat down" or "use the button inside."
Old 05-30-2007, 04:59 PM   #32
globol

My Ride: 2002 330ci
Send a message via AIM to globol
ok i'm assuming only your trunk is locked? so you have access to the cabin and under the hood? hook a spare battery to the terminals located under the hood, once the car has power. press the trunk release button under your dash. it shouldnt be that hard.
globol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 05:01 PM   #33
globol

My Ride: 2002 330ci
Send a message via AIM to globol
hahaha i didnt read the post date, 3 months too late....
globol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 05:07 PM   #34
Custom3

My Ride: HellRot 330CI
lol....4 hours??

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyman View Post
WOW that is incredible. What a day and i thought the 4hrs i spent re-adjusting my e-brake today was rediculous.
Luckily i have ski pass through.
Custom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 08:48 AM   #35
Lemonsqr

My Ride: 2001 TiAg 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMW330i View Post
Yeah, that is exactly what I want to do....mix electric power cables and my fuel supply! BOOM!
Old 05-31-2007, 11:17 AM   #36
sstainba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemonsqr View Post
Yeah, that is exactly what I want to do....mix electric power cables and my fuel supply! BOOM!
yeah... that's what i was thinking. i'm not really sure how providing power to a "fuel supply" would power the windows... but whatever.
Old 06-01-2007, 09:58 PM   #37
ports

My Ride: '09 Audi A4
Send a message via AIM to ports
well see.. when you give power to the fuel supply.. the fuel ignites.. and the car explodes...the cord of the explosion will pop the windows open, and the trunk open too!.. and then you can easily get your singed key out of the trunk.

hahaha thats such a bad idea...
Old 06-03-2007, 02:53 PM   #38
ports

My Ride: '09 Audi A4
Send a message via AIM to ports
cord of the explosion? i dont think i was drinking when i wrote that..

replace all cord's with force.

oh madlibs!
Old 06-22-2007, 11:29 PM   #39
NKB E46

My Ride: 2004 330i
the driver's door key hole comes off when you hit it from the top, this will break a $0.25 screw, after you remove the lock cylinder and the painted cover, take a flat head screw driver and rotate the locking pinion clockwise to unlock your driver's door, open the hood and install a temporary battery booster at the positive batt port at the engine bay, this will give your car minimum power.

since the key is in the interior of the car, the trunk release switch will engage and open your trunk. this will recover your key same day and cause less than 30$ in damages worst case.

do not damage your seat dammit!
NKB E46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 11:30 PM   #40
NKB E46

My Ride: 2004 330i
PS was your car unlocked to begin with? if so then no damage is necessary
NKB E46 is offline   Reply With Quote