E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2007, 12:15 PM   #1
Titansilber330D

My Ride: 330D Sport
DIY on dismantling OEM bi-xenons

Tried searching but found nothing. Does anyone know of a DIY on taking apart OEM bi-xenons?. I remember seeing a site that went through how to take everything apart (projectors etc), but of course I don't remember the site and forgot to bookmark it.
Titansilber330D is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-02-2007, 03:04 PM   #2
2001bmw330

My Ride: 2001 bmw 330i
if you find that site let me know please and thanks
2001bmw330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 12:21 PM   #3
Titansilber330D

I found a couple threads on here, but the pic links have been broken. I found another site with pics, but I still don't feel confident enough to take a chance.

http://eastcoasthonda-vw.com/Xenon_H..._Halogens.html

I only wanted to take them apart to give the projector lense a clean and to glue a crack on the shroud mount, but I don't think I will bother as I don't want to break something that is working ok.
Old 02-05-2007, 01:42 PM   #4
Canuck328i

My Ride: 09 Altima Cpe
Check the website in my sig - the sympatico site, under "Modifications". I did a bi-xenon retrofit involving R&I of the housings so that should help you with what you are trying to do.

Mark
Canuck328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 04:45 PM   #5
Titansilber330D

Beautiful writeup Mark, exactly what I was looking for. I won't need to do as much as you have done, as I just want to get the reflectors off.

Would you happen to have a more detail pic of your relay wiring, particularly the diode wiring?. I actually got around the bulb out warning by using a capacitor, but I get the feeling I should be using a relay/diode to protect the LCM and wiring.
Old 02-06-2007, 12:58 PM   #6
Canuck328i

My Ride: 09 Altima Cpe
Thanks for the kudos! It's definitely worth the work when I hear someone got something out of it.

Unfortunately I don't have any photos more detailed than what was posted in the writeup - whatever is there is the best I had. Just to be sure I will check them when I get home.

Is it the spike-diode on the coil of the relay you are after? If this helps at all, the cathode (negative side of the diode, where the marker line is) goes to the positive feed on the relay coil. The anode (positive side, where there is no marker line) goes to the negative/ground feed to the relay coil. The idea is when the power is turned off to the relay, it generates a quick pulse of power back out the coil wires in reverse voltage that can spike the LCM. The diode is supposed to conduct or "short" during that split second reverse voltage spike, preventing damage to the upstream electronics.

Mark
Canuck328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 02:46 PM   #7
Titansilber330D

Thanks again, it really was appreciated. That explains it enough for me, I will look into adding a diode to my setup as the capacitor does hold a low voltage charge after the lights have been switched off, don't think it sends a reverse spike though.
Old 02-17-2007, 12:39 AM   #8
BMW Loe

My Ride: is dirty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck328i View Post
Thanks for the kudos! It's definitely worth the work when I hear someone got something out of it.

Unfortunately I don't have any photos more detailed than what was posted in the writeup - whatever is there is the best I had. Just to be sure I will check them when I get home.

Is it the spike-diode on the coil of the relay you are after? If this helps at all, the cathode (negative side of the diode, where the marker line is) goes to the positive feed on the relay coil. The anode (positive side, where there is no marker line) goes to the negative/ground feed to the relay coil. The idea is when the power is turned off to the relay, it generates a quick pulse of power back out the coil wires in reverse voltage that can spike the LCM. The diode is supposed to conduct or "short" during that split second reverse voltage spike, preventing damage to the upstream electronics.

Mark
I have a question on your Bi-xenon function. You speak of a 3 pin connector on the ballast, are you speaking of the one next to the connector where you plug in your low-beam harness? Also, which color would be the highbeam positive? This looks VERY easy to do.

Thanks!
03 330Ci sold
BMW Loe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 11:25 AM   #9
BMW Loe

Im just asking because I dont see a picture on there that indicates where its at.
03 330Ci sold
Old 02-17-2007, 02:24 PM   #10
BMW Loe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Loe View Post
Im just asking because I dont see a picture on there that indicates where its at.
Oh n/m I think its the solenoid wire that goes next to the solenoid under the projector.
03 330Ci sold
Old 02-17-2007, 08:03 PM   #11
BMW Loe

Yay got it! Thanks Canuck and this thread! It only took me 15 minutes to wire both side. Instead of using pin #2 for a connection, I just removed the ballast and followed the colored wire that lead out of pin #2 and into the Solenoid. I tapped the wire right before the harness into the solenoid (its the middle one, mine was pink) and wired it to the positive highbeam wire.

Taps: $2.49
2ft 14 gauge wire :$1.50

cheapest modification ever.
03 330Ci sold