E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > Mid Atlantic

Mid Atlantic
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
DC DE MD PA VA WV

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 53 votes, 4.91 average.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:48 PM   #20261
JC_s_1998_M3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Newport News, Virginia
Posts: 337
My Ride: 1998 M3 Vert
Send a message via Skype™ to JC_s_1998_M3
The main difference in a super charger and a turbo is the super charger uses the engines power to make more power where as the turbo uses somthing that will just be wasted energy and turns it into more power, therefore the turbo is more efficent and will end up being the better choice. Turbo kits are also more widely available and you can get for a much better price than super chargers.

I vote turbo.
__________________
JC_s_1998_M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 11:51 PM   #20262
JC_s_1998_M3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Newport News, Virginia
Posts: 337
My Ride: 1998 M3 Vert
Send a message via Skype™ to JC_s_1998_M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by IB RearWheelin View Post
sorry for double posting...but plain and simple; supercharger will most likely come in a kit with everything you need to take off and do your thing.

turbocharger is...um. well....you have the money which is obvious from your previous post but um...just have money ready because you will need to buy extras like an intercooler, boost controller, turbo timer and sometimes you have to run with a wastegate. you have to upgrade your fuel components too.
For a super charger you will have to new fuel components, intake manifold, new supercharger mounting parts and other parts for all of the vacuum lines, not to mention that there are like 2 companies that make kits for our cars where as there are tons of turbo parts out there.
__________________
JC_s_1998_M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 11:55 PM   #20263
IB RearWheelin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Southern Virginia
Posts: 925
My Ride: Rental...for now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC_s_1998_M3 View Post
The main difference in a super charger and a turbo is the super charger uses the engines power to make more power where as the turbo uses somthing that will just be wasted energy and turns it into more power, therefore the turbo is more efficent and will end up being the better choice. Turbo kits are also more widely available and you can get for a much better price than super chargers.

I vote turbo.
if i were you brian...i would grow some balls twice the size of texas and get a supercharger. IMO!!!

less hassle, safer to use. besides...you love your m3 so much, and it's damn near new. don't fvck it up with a turbo.

I vote super.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by nike001 View Post
Is this a joke? Do you really have so much money, you don't know what to do with it?
IB RearWheelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 11:55 PM   #20264
The Law
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Chesapeake, VA
Posts: 583
My Ride: 1993 325i
If I were to keep my car, I would probably swap out the supercharger and get the whole motor rebuilt and put in a turbo. Boost is addicting.
The Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 11:55 PM   #20265
IB RearWheelin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Southern Virginia
Posts: 925
My Ride: Rental...for now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC_s_1998_M3 View Post
For a super charger you will have to new fuel components, intake manifold, new supercharger mounting parts and other parts for all of the vacuum lines, not to mention that there are like 2 companies that make kits for our cars where as there are tons of turbo parts out there.
it comes in a whole kit usually.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by nike001 View Post
Is this a joke? Do you really have so much money, you don't know what to do with it?
IB RearWheelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 11:59 PM   #20266
IB RearWheelin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Southern Virginia
Posts: 925
My Ride: Rental...for now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Law View Post
If I were to keep my car, I would probably swap out the supercharger and get the whole motor rebuilt and put in a turbo. Boost is addicting.
well sh1t dude...if I could supercharge my 7 again I would. you inspired me so much.

lol...(boy oh boy how I remember that belt whine like it was yesterday. roaring up and down the street with nothing but the sound of the throaty 4.4L v8 making mustang owners feel like wet tissue paper.)

Supercharger FTW.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by nike001 View Post
Is this a joke? Do you really have so much money, you don't know what to do with it?
IB RearWheelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 12:05 AM   #20267
bpalm004
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: 757/804
Posts: 671
My Ride: E36 M3 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by IB RearWheelin View Post
if i were you brian...i would grow some balls twice the size of texas and get a supercharger. IMO!!!

less hassle, safer to use. besides...you love your m3 so much, and it's damn near new. don't fvck it up with a turbo.

I vote super.
This is exactly what I was looking for.

I am a huge advocate of quality and reliability. I always look for the most durable items, which sometimes comes at a price.

What I'm specifically looking for in regards with my car, is exceptional performance when I need it, without the sacrifice of daily drivabilty, engine reliability, etc.

I virtually never race, but when it comes down to it I want to stand my ground.

So with that in mind, which should I choose to fit my preferences?
bpalm004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 12:16 AM   #20268
IB RearWheelin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Southern Virginia
Posts: 925
My Ride: Rental...for now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpalm004 View Post
This is exactly what I was looking for.

I am a huge advocate of quality and reliability. I always look for the most durable items, which sometimes comes at a price.

What I'm specifically looking for in regards with my car, is exceptional performance when I need it, without the sacrifice of daily drivabilty, engine reliability, etc.

I virtually never race, but when it comes down to it I want to stand my ground.

So with that in mind, which should I choose to fit my preferences?
super...because for everyday driving a turbo is not neccesary. I would personally get annoyed by the blow off valve. you say you don't race your car but when you want to get down on it...you want it to get down like you want it to...

This is why I went with a supercharger in the past. I was just getting into tuning then so I ruined my 7's engine with it. Being stupid and trying to be a honda boy in a bmw. Reason why I had to get my engine rebuilt and bored out.

supercharger for low profile, inconspicuous everyday driving for those who wanna test you at the red light.

then you fool em. (hit em with the "too soon jr." and wax on them)

lol.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by nike001 View Post
Is this a joke? Do you really have so much money, you don't know what to do with it?
IB RearWheelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 01:09 AM   #20269
hcaleman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Hampton Roads
Posts: 1,450
My Ride: E36 M3
turbocharged motors don't require BOVs, especially ball bearing units, people have been sold on that idea for whatever reason. Even if you decide to use one you should recirc it to the intake path before the turbo if the MAF is metering ahead of the turbo (similar to most stock recirc setups). A lot of superchargers use their own oil system which is somewhat convenient from an install perspective. Though on an e36 M3 you need to take the oil pan off anyway and check the oil pump nut (which I still haven't done) so it's a good time to plumb a return line bung. Engine management and fuel management have to deal with the same issues on both. I tend to prefer turbos, they are easier to deal with (for me) but that is because I'm just used to working around them.

Neither are really that complicated, it is more a matter of preference. On my car though I think I'd be happy with a set of cams, injectors (bought), HFM, different chip, Kromer Kraft headers and exhaust.
__________________
hcaleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 01:16 AM   #20270
JC_s_1998_M3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Newport News, Virginia
Posts: 337
My Ride: 1998 M3 Vert
Send a message via Skype™ to JC_s_1998_M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcaleman View Post

Neither are really that complicated, it is more a matter of preference. On my car though I think I'd be happy with a set of cams, injectors (bought), HFM, different chip, Kromer Kraft headers and exhaust.
+1
__________________
JC_s_1998_M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 01:21 AM   #20271
IB RearWheelin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Southern Virginia
Posts: 925
My Ride: Rental...for now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcaleman View Post
turbocharged motors don't require BOVs, especially ball bearing units, people have been sold on that idea for whatever reason. Even if you decide to use one you should recirc it to the intake path before the turbo if the MAF is metering ahead of the turbo (similar to most stock recirc setups). A lot of superchargers use their own oil system which is somewhat convenient from an install perspective. Though on an e36 M3 you need to take the oil pan off anyway and check the oil pump nut (which I still haven't done) so it's a good time to plumb a return line bung. Engine management and fuel management have to deal with the same issues on both. I tend to prefer turbos, they are easier to deal with (for me) but that is because I'm just used to working around them.

Neither are really that complicated, it is more a matter of preference. On my car though I think I'd be happy with a set of cams, injectors (bought), HFM, different chip, Kromer Kraft headers and exhaust.
holy sh1t you guys that own e36's have that oil pump nut problem too? wow! i have to check mine SOON. but i'm really afraid to drop my oil pan off of my baby.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by nike001 View Post
Is this a joke? Do you really have so much money, you don't know what to do with it?
IB RearWheelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 01:45 AM   #20272
Snik
OEM ///Member
 
Snik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Around SJ AFB, NC
Posts: 20,620
My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
Turbos sound cooler.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohde88 View Post
^^^ do you spend all your free time on two wheels?
______________________________________
The Snikster posted sexy wiminz here
Do you ride a sportbike?
Do you have a question about Jamaica? Ask?
Snik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 03:28 AM   #20273
RSDeuce
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Hampton, VA
Posts: 1,035
My Ride: 2002 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by simsima325
I will open it back up, but if you are going to have a meet thread for every month, you really shouldn't start a new one while your current month's meet hasn't even occurred yet.

Maybe you guys should consider just having a monthly chat thread like the DMV people do?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwm5 View Post
Feb meet thread back open...
I take it the Feb meet thread was closed for a bit? My internet is spotty out here, so I must have missed it. I posted early because I expect the March meet to be a big deal, and we need extra time to think about it.

Quote:
I agree with the monthly chat threads. I think it's kinda intimidating for a new member to enter a 1000+ page thread, lol.
I know what you are talking about... I lurked this thread for awhile before posting. But we are very friendly in here... I especially don't want this to become as bad as reading the MAR chat thread can be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snikwad View Post
do we really need to, wont that kill this thread? we all yapp away in here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcaleman View Post
No to monthly chat thread, yes to monthly meet thread.
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozilla View Post
Yea even though we create the thread for montly meets it always turns into 12 pages of bullshit talking. I personally never go into those threads because it always goes off topic.
This bothers me. If our people don't want to bother with the meet thread, the meets won't be as good as they could be. I will consider harping on OT convos in the meet thread. Keep it to this thread guys!
RSDeuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 03:42 AM   #20274
Snik
OEM ///Member
 
Snik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Around SJ AFB, NC
Posts: 20,620
My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
Hey island boy how's that warmth, and sunshine. Mofo, you better bring some back with you.

Yeah, I totally didn't pay attention to the feb meet thread, it got way off topic for a while, I couldn't follow.

I'm still not 100% sure, Focal answered me directly and it got posted on fb, that's how I figured it out.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohde88 View Post
^^^ do you spend all your free time on two wheels?
______________________________________
The Snikster posted sexy wiminz here
Do you ride a sportbike?
Do you have a question about Jamaica? Ask?
Snik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 06:51 AM   #20275
Focal E46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Norfolk, Va
Posts: 1,871
My Ride: is a DIYer
Quote:
Originally Posted by drumad View Post
wat?

oh hai!

btw.. I think I'm aiming for that 335i instead of an e46 m3


http://norfolk.craigslist.org/cto/1593392146.html

$18-19k I think

NVM, just noticed the auto
__________________
Focal E46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 07:42 AM   #20276
Impulsed7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: 757
Posts: 1,875
My Ride: just an M3, sort of
Hmm, he's got 5K to play with....

I know where there is a euro S50B32 for sale for 3500, and then you can get some other goodies to go with it...
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1359331

take it from me, if you want a daily drivable, no matter what, reliable as heck BMW, DO NOT go FI. It may just have been the kit I had, but I have had plenty of friends that have had FI setups and have always had some kind of little (or big) problems with them. If you do decide to go FI, go with the AA HKS supercharger setup, stage 2 from the get go. It will be the most reliable of all the kits out there.
__________________
Impulsed7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 07:50 AM   #20277
Focal E46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Norfolk, Va
Posts: 1,871
My Ride: is a DIYer
Gun and Knife show, Norfolk Scope, Sunday 10am, any takers??

http://sevenvenues.com/show/view/54/...Gun_Knife_Show
__________________
Focal E46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 08:44 AM   #20278
almostM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Eastern Shore
Posts: 3
My Ride: '86 325 '94 stRanger
20,000 dollar bonus! Are you guys hiring?
almostM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 08:50 AM   #20279
drumad
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Chesapeake, VA
Posts: 37
My Ride: E30, 240sx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focal E46 View Post


http://norfolk.craigslist.org/cto/1593392146.html

$18-19k I think

NVM, just noticed the auto
there's a couple up north at stealerships..

ok easy question.. if I buy private, can I obtain a CPO? or how does getting additional warranty work?

dak touch for answers.
drumad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 08:58 AM   #20280
Focal E46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Norfolk, Va
Posts: 1,871
My Ride: is a DIYer
I'm not sure, but when I was in the market I saw plenty of them being sold with a CPO and the price to go with it so I would assume it's transferrable if that's what you mean. I'm not sure if you can purchase one on a used car or not though.
__________________
Focal E46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use