E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > Mid Atlantic

Mid Atlantic
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
DC DE MD PA VA WV

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 55 votes, 4.91 average.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:08 PM   #28061
hook_7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: va beach
Posts: 274
My Ride: e36 m3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impulsed7 View Post
just come get it one of these nights. I'll post up tomorrow when I get off work, and just come get it. not sure what time I'll be done but should be before 5.

also, found out the ball joints are tapered, so any load on them locks them down. an impact gun would just destroy them, but thanks for trying.
Just text me when you have time. i wanna give you some money for it.
__________________
hook_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 06:47 AM   #28062
hcaleman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Hampton Roads
Posts: 1,450
My Ride: E36 M3
Tightening the balljoint on the subframe?
__________________
hcaleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 06:39 PM   #28063
hcaleman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Hampton Roads
Posts: 1,450
My Ride: E36 M3
Anyone know a good place around here to get tires mounted and balanced at a reasonable price? If I buy another set of wheels I'm going to have to get the old ones unmounted from them, switch my Dunlops over (unmount and mount) and have them balanced on the new set, then have a new all-season set put onto my style 68s.

I don't really feel like paying 250 bucks to have all these tires mounted if at all possible.
__________________
hcaleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 06:57 PM   #28064
bimmerfan08
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Posts: 4,890
My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcaleman View Post
Anyone know a good place around here to get tires mounted and balanced at a reasonable price? If I buy another set of wheels I'm going to have to get the old ones unmounted from them, switch my Dunlops over (unmount and mount) and have them balanced on the new set, then have a new all-season set put onto my style 68s.

I don't really feel like paying 250 bucks to have all these tires mounted if at all possible.
I went to merchants, cost me $75 to mount and balance 5 tires on my 325i
__________________
"Economics cannot answer such normative or prescriptive questions about how much of our market incomes, if any, should be transferred to poor families. This is a political question that can only be answered at the ballot box, or in some countries, at the point of a gun."
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 07:06 PM   #28065
Shipkiller
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Posts: 118
My Ride: 2008 Z4MC & 2003 Z4
That depends. If you never drive your car over 80-90 MPH then any good shop can do it very reasonably as bimmerfan08 suggests.

If you do a lot of high speed runs and/or track your car, in my opinion there is only one place in Hampton Roads. Performance Tire and Wheel in Chesapeake.
http://www.performancetireandwheelsvcs.com/

The Hunter Equipment Corp. lists Rex (the owner) as the best mounting and balancing person in the Country.
__________________
"Bench racing" about track times driven by professionals are like a bunch of nerds arguing which Princess Leia is hotter, the slave Leia or the no-bra jail-bait Leia. No matter how compelling your argument is, the plain and simple fact is, none of you will EVER get to hit that.

Drives a 2008 Z4M Coupe' (His) & 2003 Z4 Roadster (Her's)

www.shipkiller.com
Shipkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 11:16 PM   #28066
das BENZin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Williamsburg, VA
Posts: 1,719
My Ride: 1985 380SE 5.6
How much can who does it matter? I mean, as long as it's a Hunter Road Force balancer with the latest tech, and the guy runs the balancer more than once (because the first numbers are always inaccurate, the road force thing seats it though and run #2 is accurate), I don't see what difference it can make. I'm presuming a shop that won't mess up your wheels and will actually balance them. There's a guy up in Williamsburg who does it for cheap as a side thing out of the shop where he works (like $40 for all 4), but I'm not sure if he's back in town yet (or if he's still doing it, he only does it when he needs money).

Last edited by das BENZin; 10-18-2010 at 11:18 PM.
das BENZin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 03:24 PM   #28067
Shipkiller
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Posts: 118
My Ride: 2008 Z4MC & 2003 Z4
Quote:
Originally Posted by das BENZin View Post
How much can who does it matter? I mean, as long as it's a Hunter Road Force balancer with the latest tech, and the guy runs the balancer more than once (because the first numbers are always inaccurate, the road force thing seats it though and run #2 is accurate), I don't see what difference it can make. I'm presuming a shop that won't mess up your wheels and will actually balance them. There's a guy up in Williamsburg who does it for cheap as a side thing out of the shop where he works (like $40 for all 4), but I'm not sure if he's back in town yet (or if he's still doing it, he only does it when he needs money).

A great deal.

Yes, the machine does all the work, but setup and skill in operating the machine is essential.

Also you must take into account that at most tire shops/full service shops that the people doing the tire fitting and balancing are almost always the junior personnel with little experience.

Do you really want some 18-21 year old kid who most likely did not go to any type of accredited school and is learning 'on the job' mounting tires on your new $2000/set of wheels or have him doing a road force balance just before you head out to the track in which you are going to be doing 140 at the end of the long straight?

Go to a cut rate tire shop and watch how they perform the balance. If you are lucky enough to find a shop that has a Hunter 9700 series machine, most don't in this area... do they completely clean the inside of the wheel, or just knock off the old weights and attach the new ones on without proper prep... Seen this.....

Last month my best friend was having his new track tires (non-Rcomps) mounted and the tech decided he did not like where the machine said to place the weights, because he (the tech) wanted to 'hide' the weights...
He was NOT told to do that and it took two more tries to get it right. I mean taking the car back two more separate times. This happened last month...

I took my wife's Z4 Roadster to have an alignment performed. The Hunter Machine tell the operator when you plug in the type of vehicle (BMW) that after the alignment you must reset the Steering Angle Sensor. The shop decided that they knew more than Hunter did and did not do it, nor did they have the equipment to perform the reset. Consequently the DSC was all screwed up and I had to have the alignment performed again at another shop to get everything sorted out. Cost me double...

I guess it all depends on what you will settle for. Sometimes the best lessons are the costly ones....

I am not saying that all the bargain shops are bad and I am not saying that all high priced shops are great, but you really do get what you pay for. Most of the time.
__________________
"Bench racing" about track times driven by professionals are like a bunch of nerds arguing which Princess Leia is hotter, the slave Leia or the no-bra jail-bait Leia. No matter how compelling your argument is, the plain and simple fact is, none of you will EVER get to hit that.

Drives a 2008 Z4M Coupe' (His) & 2003 Z4 Roadster (Her's)

www.shipkiller.com
Shipkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 07:34 PM   #28068
das BENZin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Williamsburg, VA
Posts: 1,719
My Ride: 1985 380SE 5.6
Well, my friend works for a fairly fancy independent Euro repair shop in Williamsburg (his dad owns it), and he does a pretty thorough/clean job. Yes, he is young, but I have taken his balancing job to 150. And they use the Hunter 9700. They also have the 2-piece German wheel weights, which I like.
das BENZin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 09:34 PM   #28069
das BENZin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Williamsburg, VA
Posts: 1,719
My Ride: 1985 380SE 5.6
BTW, he says I can refer people to him. He's grkguy89 on vadriven.
das BENZin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 10:58 AM   #28070
Snik
OEM ///Member
 
Snik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Around SJ AFB, NC
Posts: 20,629
My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipkiller View Post
A great deal.

Yes, the machine does all the work, but setup and skill in operating the machine is essential.

Also you must take into account that at most tire shops/full service shops that the people doing the tire fitting and balancing are almost always the junior personnel with little experience.

Do you really want some 18-21 year old kid who most likely did not go to any type of accredited school and is learning 'on the job' mounting tires on your new $2000/set of wheels or have him doing a road force balance just before you head out to the track in which you are going to be doing 140 at the end of the long straight?

Go to a cut rate tire shop and watch how they perform the balance. If you are lucky enough to find a shop that has a Hunter 9700 series machine, most don't in this area... do they completely clean the inside of the wheel, or just knock off the old weights and attach the new ones on without proper prep... Seen this.....

Last month my best friend was having his new track tires (non-Rcomps) mounted and the tech decided he did not like where the machine said to place the weights, because he (the tech) wanted to 'hide' the weights...
He was NOT told to do that and it took two more tries to get it right. I mean taking the car back two more separate times. This happened last month...

I took my wife's Z4 Roadster to have an alignment performed. The Hunter Machine tell the operator when you plug in the type of vehicle (BMW) that after the alignment you must reset the Steering Angle Sensor. The shop decided that they knew more than Hunter did and did not do it, nor did they have the equipment to perform the reset. Consequently the DSC was all screwed up and I had to have the alignment performed again at another shop to get everything sorted out. Cost me double...

I guess it all depends on what you will settle for. Sometimes the best lessons are the costly ones....

I am not saying that all the bargain shops are bad and I am not saying that all high priced shops are great, but you really do get what you pay for. Most of the time.
all those sound like incompetent techs or techs trying to cut corners.
i dont think my car has a steering angle sensor, as its so old, but up to 130mph and not a shake, and my used tire guy mounted and balanced my wheels.

my bike, i mount my self and balance with a static balancer. regular trackdays in the 150+ and no issues, hell ive done 2 trackdays with "unbalanced" wheels on my bike... granted, the BMW is MUCH more sensitive, but if my boy can get it right, with run falats, regular tires, and even flipped bady worn tires, i dont think its that hard.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohde88 View Post
^^^ do you spend all your free time on two wheels?
______________________________________
The Snikster posted sexy wiminz here
Do you ride a sportbike?
Do you have a question about Jamaica? Ask?
Snik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 02:55 PM   #28071
Shipkiller
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Posts: 118
My Ride: 2008 Z4MC & 2003 Z4
What track to do you go to to be able to get to 150MPH?
__________________
"Bench racing" about track times driven by professionals are like a bunch of nerds arguing which Princess Leia is hotter, the slave Leia or the no-bra jail-bait Leia. No matter how compelling your argument is, the plain and simple fact is, none of you will EVER get to hit that.

Drives a 2008 Z4M Coupe' (His) & 2003 Z4 Roadster (Her's)

www.shipkiller.com
Shipkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 03:03 PM   #28072
Snik
OEM ///Member
 
Snik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Around SJ AFB, NC
Posts: 20,629
My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
on my bike? lol ah, pretty much all of them except summit jeffereson...
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohde88 View Post
^^^ do you spend all your free time on two wheels?
______________________________________
The Snikster posted sexy wiminz here
Do you ride a sportbike?
Do you have a question about Jamaica? Ask?
Snik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 03:10 PM   #28073
Shipkiller
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Posts: 118
My Ride: 2008 Z4MC & 2003 Z4
Oh, well that makes sense. Your bike has a much greater power/weight ratio.. On VIR North Course, the best I was able to do on the straight into turn one was 139MPH.
I get to do the complete course at VIR in Nov..... We shall see on that long straight... but I normally don't try to get to the fastest speed I can achieve while on the track. I am normally working on something specific.
__________________
"Bench racing" about track times driven by professionals are like a bunch of nerds arguing which Princess Leia is hotter, the slave Leia or the no-bra jail-bait Leia. No matter how compelling your argument is, the plain and simple fact is, none of you will EVER get to hit that.

Drives a 2008 Z4M Coupe' (His) & 2003 Z4 Roadster (Her's)

www.shipkiller.com
Shipkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 03:21 PM   #28074
Snik
OEM ///Member
 
Snik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Around SJ AFB, NC
Posts: 20,629
My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
yeah, i said on my bike. like twice.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohde88 View Post
^^^ do you spend all your free time on two wheels?
______________________________________
The Snikster posted sexy wiminz here
Do you ride a sportbike?
Do you have a question about Jamaica? Ask?
Snik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 05:23 PM   #28075
bimmerfan08
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Posts: 4,890
My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
__________________
"Economics cannot answer such normative or prescriptive questions about how much of our market incomes, if any, should be transferred to poor families. This is a political question that can only be answered at the ballot box, or in some countries, at the point of a gun."
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 06:30 PM   #28076
330i SDJ
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 84
My Ride: '02&'97 M3, '71 2002
Send a message via Skype™ to 330i SDJ
Registered for the TrackDaze VIR November event (both days). Anyone else going?
__________________
330i SDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 09:32 PM   #28077
robb1887
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Norfolk, VA
Posts: 2,252
My Ride: 00 Mshoe
Buying CSL reps 18x8.5 18x9.5 with Micheline Piolot Sports, with under 100 miles on them . Buddy is picking them up in DC tomorrow and my mom is visiting my sister in NOVA this weekend and will be bringing them back down with her on SUNDAY!

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.


Is it Sunday yet?
__________________
robb1887 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 09:34 PM   #28078
bimmerfan08
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Posts: 4,890
My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330i SDJ View Post
Registered for the TrackDaze VIR November event (both days). Anyone else going?
I was talking to friend about it (cowmoo32) but I have class both days and Ill most likley be attending another skyline meet the weekend before
__________________
"Economics cannot answer such normative or prescriptive questions about how much of our market incomes, if any, should be transferred to poor families. This is a political question that can only be answered at the ballot box, or in some countries, at the point of a gun."
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 11:07 PM   #28079
Impulsed7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: 757
Posts: 1,875
My Ride: just an M3, sort of
Just going to put the warning out for the skyline drive meets, be careful. from my own and others experiences lately cops are really cracking down on these roads. try running to WVA from skyline drive because the entire state of VA has your description...
__________________
Impulsed7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 12:44 AM   #28080
das BENZin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Williamsburg, VA
Posts: 1,719
My Ride: 1985 380SE 5.6
That's why I stick to Race Wars. No cops out in the desert.
das BENZin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use